Hardest part of the meta-game for you to understand!

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
GUYS, Explain HOW you overcame this problem

With EV's, I overcame the problem by memorizing everything about them. What speed will get me faster than neutral base 100's, or what would make me the maxium bulkyness. The latter is usually 252 252 6 spread, but occasionally that doesn't work. So I fixed the problem with EV's by reading analysis and ultimately play testing, to see what worked and what didn't. It helped me become the battler I am today, and easily wouldn't have made it far without studying and wanting to be better.

Me either, but I'm working on it. I'm trying out good teams from the RMT section, seeing what works well together and adding my own touches to them. It's not always succesful, but I learn from my mistakes.

I did read many articles by now about EV's, IV's, prediction, team-building and whatnot.
Most of them I understood from the start off.
But I still don't get how to build good teams.
I now only make a team, get on Shoddy and lose 10 times.
Then change up 1-2 pokes and go again...

That's not the way I prefer team-building but I guess it's the only way..<.<

/
I think it should rather be some other users to explain how to overcome
the problems, instead of the ones still struggling :/

Working out a plan in the middle of match that will pull you through to victory. Executing a strategy is definitely one of the more difficult things to do, mainly because of the ADV mentality of countering everything. It is very, very hard to think that far into a match when there are so many variables and possible outcomes, that it seems pretty difficult to actually execute a strategy.

The best way to overcome this problem is to fight a well made stall team. With stall teams, there is a huge timer over your head in which you absolutely have to make the perfect moves all the time so you don't get worn down so easily (keep in mind I am talking about a pretty standard offensive team). The best way to overcome stall is to work out a plan somewhere in the match after the opponent has revealed their team by countering your offensive pokes. Make note of what your opponent is trying to accomplish (whether it's getting down those crucial spikes or removing a certain dangerous member of your team), along with making note of which of your pokemon has the best opportunity to pull off the sweep. However, once that plan is worked out, it is usually do or die, in which you succeed and pull through, or get eaten alive by living walls. Even if it's as simple as wearing down a certain pokemon with your Gyarados so Lucario can sweep, working out and executing a strategy is still a pretty deep aspect of competitive battling, one that takes lots of experience and knowledge of both your and your opponents team to pull off.

As far as planning is concerned, probably EV spread. Speed tiers are fine, sweepers have a pretty much straightforward spread, but defensive builds are tough.

I overcame my problem by constant practive and checking the stats for every pokemon(how many times it was used. etc.) and then reading several RMTs by well known people(Gen. Empoleon, Legacy Raider, Obi) and seeing how I can stop them

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
Determining what Pokemon I have with what IVs I have them with in-game are still usable compared to maxed, especially for chained shinies, and the best ways to distribute EVs when IVs differ from the maximum value. This directly causes another problem, of not being sure if my team can rely properly on Pokemon with less-than-optimal IV/EV distributions.

It's a problem I still haven't overcome, which is why it's rare that I do battle. That's why I just breed and do art. Yeah, I know, Shoddy, but still.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My problem was always being unable to make good synergistic teams with a clear-cut strategy to base its members on. That said, I've remedied that somewhat recently by creating a number of very successful teams based on simple strategies. The first one was abuse of Special Defense Rhyperior in the sand. I decided that I wanted to use SDef Rhyperior, and so I tossed in SDef Rhyperior and CB Tyranitar. After that, I just threw in stuff that complemented those two. Fighting resists, Ground resists, Water resists, Grass resists. In the end, I had a wonderful and balanced team.

My next and best project was my Empoleon team. I decided, "Okay, I want to sweep with Empoleon." After that, I decided exactly what I wanted to do to make that Empoleon sweep happen. I instituted a SR lead in Aerodactyl, a TSpikes user in Tentacruel, a trapper of threats in Dugtrio, a Rotom for Anti-Spin and Scizor, and a CB Scizor for taking care of the majority of hyper-fast scarfers like Gengar with Pursuit, as well as revenge killing with Bullet Punch. By the time my team was done, it had ridiculously good synergy, covered most threats in the metagame, and almost always finished with a good old fashioned balls-to-the-wall Empoleon sweep.

The moral of the story is that the best way to overcome issues with teambuilding is to identify a strong base, figure out how to complement that strong base best, and then patch up any major team weaknesses you may have.

@General: You have no right to come in here and tell people what to do - I thank you for trying to help but yeah.

I overcame my "balanced" team problem.
Physical Wall, Special Wall, Two Physical Sweepers, Special Sweeper, and Lead.

lol.
Not in that order though.

Using three level ones on your team.

People may think I'm kidding but it requires patience, dedication, and a completely different mentality to how you play full offense or defense.

Earlier on I had trouble getting though the"Standard barrier" what I mean by that is always using what everyone is using, and using the same movesets, etc. Now I try multiple things. :)

Haha, that is so my problem right nowXD

By playing the new UU I hope to be able to learn to not use the standards, especially since there are no standards in new UU and we will have to think out most things ourself.

I don't think I have completely overcame my problem of prediction, as you can never predict perfectly, EVER. However, I do think this comes with experience, so I have certainly improved, yet not solved the problem.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't think I have completely overcame my problem of prediction, as you can never predict perfectly, EVER. However, I do think this comes with experience, so I have certainly improved, yet not solved the problem.
I read somewhere that a good player doesn't rely on prediction. He merely limits the amount of time he actually has to predict.

With my aforementioned problem (providing a check to every Pokemon), I solve this by taking this mindset every time I make a team.

1. You do not need a surefire counter to everything. No team can perfectly counter every threat. Something that can resist an attack and still deal a respectable amount of damage is enough.

2. Apply pressure when in a match. Stuff like bluffing Lead Storm on Rotom or bluffing Choice Scarf on Heatran can create a 'counter' that your opponent THINKS you have.

I always used to have trouble building a coherent and balanced team. My usual strategy of late has been just to throw 6 Pokémon together, play some games and then keep changing Pokémon or movesets until the team "works". I've had some sucsess with it but i'm still a long way from being a master team builder.

The answer is not to predict, but to know. That is what GE implied.
Actually, that is not at all what Gen. Empoleon implied. Essentially what he was saying is that prediction is something that you must do, in order to get yourself out of a tight situation. if you are "running the game," you don't need prediction (as much).

So saying, "I need to work on my prediction" is actually a bad way to look at playing the game of Pokemon, as prediction is not what it is about. What you should be saying is, "I need to work on gaining the momentum in a battle, and running with it." You need to learn to be a more "capable" player, so the amount of times that you have to take the risk of prediction in each battle is lower. Do you see what I mean now?

The toughest obstacle I have come across in my career as a pokemon battler would have to be building an effective team based around effective synergy. I would often find myself in the situation where each of my team members, while covering shared weaknesses, etc., didn't support each other as much as I like. I'd like to add that simply being able to use my teams to their max potential has also been a big problem.

Now, what have I done to solve the problem? Simple: I keep battling continously and learn from my mistakes. I'm also currently in Battling 101, so I hope to learn more about how to build effective team synergy and properly use the team. Up until now, I have been doing pretty good, but I'd probably be considered average at best. I do not know how I advanced so far without even realizing the basics in advanced competitive battling.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Easily team building. I still haven't overcome it. Ive made one good team in my life. I signed up for a tutor, but was like 60th to ask :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)