Hearthstone [IRC Channel #Skillstone]

^ I seem to be getting Total Dominance a LITTLE bit more often lately too. I thought the game felt sorry for me b/c I was constantly at 10-15 gold after buying pack after pack trying, unsuccessfully, to pull Nat Pagle or Tinkmaster Overspark the past few weeks for dust since the latest patch.

I knew that there was NO WAY Smogon was not playing this game.

I DL'd a week after it went open beta and have sadly been addicted ever since. I'm only now recently coming off my "high" and coming back to Pokemon lol. Haven't spent any money, but I'd say I'm pretty average so far. My best arena run is 7-3 and I probably go 3-4 wins on average. I've really tried to get into constructed the past month or so, but my collection/skill level doesn't feel up to snuff. I've only peaked rank 12 :( . Since this is the last day of the test season, I'm gonna try to push for legend at some point today. I'll probably go back to Arena eventually just to build my collection up some more and try to get better at it.

If anyone wants to add me, my battletag is Mulligan#1429

No Fire Elemental, no problem? :S
dem 4 bolts tho o.O . Also you had 3 Wifi Wolfpack AWOOOOOOOOOO

Also, this has to be QOTW from Hearthstone reddit. I just died laughing:

The thread itself where said quote came from: http://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone..._finishing_my_103_arena_i_finally_got_one_of/

Last edited:
I got reset to rank 19. I couldn't get past rank 11 before tilting last night. In hindsight, I can't believe I actually thought I could hit legend in 1 day from where I was ranked currently at the time (13).

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
yeah i'm a little salty I didn't hit Legend from rank 1 earlier. Probably should have been a little more committed or run Handlock or something.

remlabmez

@dacopboss
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
going to attempt to get legendary this season only using rogue. currently at rank 7, only a few losses since ladder reset, though i expect this to change quickly

Matthew

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
tempo and miracle, more tempo though... doesn't auto lose to hunter like miracle
tempo rogue is a sweet deck, really undervalued. I went to the dark side and started playing Warlock (not zoo or murloc though!) and it's a lot of fun with all them giants everywhere. Apparently Handlock was recently changed to include Leeroy, Faceless, and Alex but I'm sitting pretty at 10 (almost 9) with the 'classic' build.

remlabmez

@dacopboss
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
tempo rogue is a sweet deck, really undervalued. I went to the dark side and started playing Warlock (not zoo or murloc though!) and it's a lot of fun with all them giants everywhere. Apparently Handlock was recently changed to include Leeroy, Faceless, and Alex but I'm sitting pretty at 10 (almost 9) with the 'classic' build.
yeah handlock is more aggressive now with a ton of kill potential with power overwhelmings. problem is a lot of druid and warrior decks are running bgh

Matthew

yeah handlock is more aggressive now with a ton of kill potential with power overwhelmings. problem is a lot of druid and warrior decks are running bgh
That doesn't matter as much considering you "can" have 24 points of burn in your back pocket at any time. Though I find myself really annoyed at people getting up-in-arms about Miracle when there's so much burn potential with Leeroy that it's stupid.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
tempo and miracle, more tempo though... doesn't auto lose to hunter like miracle
Shouldn't Miracle Rogue have more success against Hunter, seeing as how it's about the only other deck (besides most Hunters themselves) that barely plays minions?

Mmm, still missing some essential big-boy legends but I'm working my way up with ramp Druid. I'd really like to do something with Paladin but no Tirion. :( (No Cenarius either but I don't think he's essential in the same way, so I'm still playing Druid.) I think they might be pretty well-situated in this Huntard / Warlock / Druid meta, Priest too other than big Twilight Drakes being a huge bitch. :[

Last edited:

Matthew

Shouldn't Miracle Rogue have more success against Hunter, seeing as how it's about the only other deck (besides most Hunters themselves) that barely plays minions?

Mmm, still missing some essential big-boy legends but I'm working my way up with ramp Druid. I'd really like to do something with Paladin but no Tirion. :( (No Cenarius either but I don't think he's essential in the same way, so I'm still playing Druid.) I think they might be pretty well-situated in this Huntard / Warlock / Druid meta, Priest too other than big Twilight Drakes being a huge bitch. :[
Miracle struggles against hunter now since instead of going for combos the hunter just goes for direct damage (leper wolf rider). Meaning that the Hunter can easily kill you before you can Leeroy Shadowstep Leeroy.

Well, I decided to go back to Arena a few days ago so I could get my collection/gold up. I've been reading up on articles and watching some videos from some of the well-known players as a refresher the past few days. At first, I had a few disappointing (but usual for me when it came to Arena) 3-3 runs. Today, though, I basically "went infinite". Had a 7-3 run with Warrior which tied my best Arena record (7-3 with Shaman). And that was only my second time ever drafting Warrior :D. I went on another run with Paladin immediately after and went 9-3. I think I'm getting the hang of this.

I need to get back to constructed though. I haven't touch the ladder in almost a week. At first, I wanted to hit Legend with something I created on my own. At this point, I just want to hit Legend, especially now that I'm finding there are other players who started when I did and hit it last season. I don't really care with what deck.

Matthew

Well, I decided to go back to Arena a few days ago so I could get my collection/gold up. I've been reading up on articles and watching some videos from some of the well-known players as a refresher the past few days. At first, I had a few disappointing (but usual for me when it came to Arena) 3-3 runs. Today, though, I basically "went infinite". Had a 7-3 run with Warrior which tied my best Arena record (7-3 with Shaman). And that was only my second time ever drafting Warrior :D. I went on another run with Paladin immediately after and went 9-3. I think I'm getting the hang of this.

I need to get back to constructed though. I haven't touch the ladder in almost a week. At first, I wanted to hit Legend with something I created on my own. At this point, I just want to hit Legend, especially now that I'm finding there are other players who started when I did and hit it last season. I don't really care with what deck.
For arena I like to follow Trump's list of great drafts (note: these are compared in a vacuum and might not be what your deck actually NEEDS):
http://www.liquidhearth.com/forum/arena-strategy/513-trumps-arena-tier-list-neutral-commons

for constructed if you want a good, cheap deck then I suggest you run Zoo Warlock (just google) or Hunter rush. Both are insane to fight against and while Warrior control will win if they get a good hand there's almost no chance that you won't have a good hand. Hunter rush almost stops on Handlock and most other decks while rush Hunter is more of a 50/50 (maybe 60/40) on the control decks. Good luck!

For arena I like to follow Trump's list of great drafts (note: these are compared in a vacuum and might not be what your deck actually NEEDS):
http://www.liquidhearth.com/forum/arena-strategy/513-trumps-arena-tier-list-neutral-commons

for constructed if you want a good, cheap deck then I suggest you run Zoo Warlock (just google) or Hunter rush. Both are insane to fight against and while Warrior control will win if they get a good hand there's almost no chance that you won't have a good hand. Hunter rush almost stops on Handlock and most other decks while rush Hunter is more of a 50/50 (maybe 60/40) on the control decks. Good luck!
Yeah, I've been following Trump's list for a little while. It really helps me with my picks. I was starting to think the reason I wasn't doing well was my gameplay, so I started actively watching Hafu stream (and Trump when he wasn't streaming constructed) and went back to watch Gnimsh's arena guide. That guide provides a great "base" for Arena knowledge and is still relevant IMO. I also re-read over Vivafringe's guide although that was mainly to learn how to draft Warrior. It's a bit dated, but still very useful.

I've been ranking up with Hunter almost exclusively this season, but I am thinking about adding Zoo to the "lineup". I don't really care for the Warlock class, but because the deck was so incredibly cheap to make and very effective (similar to Hunter), I built it late last season and decided to learn the ropes to see what all the talk was about.

I ditched Miracle Rogue because it's kinda hard to make it work with no Preparation. I still won around 55% of my games w/o them, but I just don't want to go through the stress right now lol. Working on a different concoction for Rogue now. If that fails, I'll just go midrange/tempo like everyone else :P

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I ditched Miracle Rogue because it's kinda hard to make it work with no Preparation. I still won around 55% of my games w/o them, but I just don't want to go through the stress right now lol. Working on a different concoction for Rogue now. If that fails, I'll just go midrange/tempo like everyone else :P
I'm maining tempo rogue right now. I have like five different decks atm I think, and tempo rogue is the only one that has remained consistent for me throughout the ranks. It has a disgustingly good matchup vs. zoo, which is fantastic because zoo is literally everywhere, and its only matchup that isn't very good is hunter rush. But if you can manage to get out an early Chillwind Yeti and keep your board relatively low on minions, you can still win it. Tempo rogue is also my favorite deck anyways because rogue is the coolest class.

About the arena stuff, I'd recommend figuring out what works best for you and only really deferring to Trump and Gnimsh's lists when you're really unsure. Watching Trump helped me get a lot better at arena, but I didn't get good at it until I left that shit behind me. It's really important to know which class cards you almost never want to pass up (Backstab/Eviscerate for Rogue, Unleash for Hunters, Flamestrike/Fireball/Polymorph for Mages, Swipe/Druid of the Claw for Druids, blah blah), and it's even more important to make sure you have a solid curve. I eventually started to pop up a pastebin while I drafted and listed out each card I got by curve, a la:

1 - Worgen Infiltrator
2 - Novice Engineer, 2x Acidic Swamp Ooze

and then I'd list my spells separately at the end because they rarely fill out your curve early-game, exceptions being like Power of the Wild and Animal Companion.

That helped my win ratio a ton because I always had a list of what cards I'd drafted while I played, so in any situation, I could glance at the list to figure out what cards I could potentially draw that would affect my plays for the next turn. Plus, it made it a lot easier to draft a good curve.

The only other suggestion I have is to avoid shitty classes. Warrior and Priest are probably the worst classes in arena because their hero powers and their class cards are kinda crappy. Warrior weapons are great, but if you don't get enough of them, it'll be hard to keep up tempo in the early to midgame. imo Rogue/Mage are the best because they have excellent class cards and because their hero powers directly affect the board, which means you always have some kind of option to help make advantageous trades.

Oh also craft preps if you want to play miracle rogue. They're huge game changers once you get your Gadgetzan out, and they basically draw you 2 free cards each.

Hey everyone! Looks like Blizzard is coming out with some brand-spanking new cards! It seems to be focused on the Deathrattle ability. In addition, there's going to be a new PvE system where you battle computers to get new cards and other fabulous prizes. Some of the cards can be seen below:

I think these things are pretty interesting and want to see how exactly they'll affect the metagame.

Whole thing can be found here: http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/13665269

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
As long as it doesn't cost too much in-game gold, it's probably worth it. I've managed to build up a sizable collection without spending any real money so far, and I'm looking forward to the expansion. Hopefully you can earn some gold while you're playing it, a la arena, to make it worthwhile.

Dancing Swords and Baron Rivendare kinda make me want to make a mill-ish type of deck for shits and giggles, just to see if it'd be at all possible to win by decking the opponent out and killing them with fatigue. Too bad that other than Dancing Swords there's only Coldlight Oracle and Naturalize for milling, unless more of the new cards have that kind of effect.

On another note, does anyone mind giving some tips for my Priest deck?

I feel like my deck's biggest problem is the early game (not sure if that's just a Priest problem or my deck in particular). More than half is 3-mana or lower, but a lot of them are spells that require me to have monsters to be useful (Inner Fire, PW: Shield) or are better late game (SW: Death, Thoughtsteal). I want to try Circle of Healing for the potential combos with Northshire, Lightwarden, and Auchenai, but that'd just be making the former problem worse unless I replace those.

Loot Hoarder was originally going to be a Bloodmage Thalnos but I'm not sure if it's worth using anymore since I have plenty of draw power already and I dropped a lot of my spell damage cards. I don't have Thalnos atm anyways. Injured Blademaster hasn't been performing as well as I thought it would, nor has Temple Enforcer, but it might just be my inexperience (since I mostly play Druid unless I get quests for other classes) or lacking certain cards to make them better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)