Heatran

QC Checks: Ash Borer, Swamp Link, TRC., CyclicCompound,
GP Checks: horyzhnz, Calm Pokemaster

Overview
########

With it's great Fire / Steel typing and good bulk, Heatran is one of the best checks to top threats such as Talonflame, Aegislash, and Clefable, as well as a superb switch-in to the ever-popular Fairy-types. Heatran also has solid offensive potential with its stellar base 130 Special Attack stat. However, its base 77 Speed often lets it down, and its typing also leaves it weak to common Fighting-, Ground-, and Water-type attacks. Unfortunately, Heatran doesn't have any form of reliable recovery, meaning it can be worn down rather easily. However, play to Heatran's strong points, and you won't be disappointed.

Specially Defensive
########
name: Specially Defensive
move 1: Lava Plume
move 2: Protect
move 3: Taunt / Roar / Stealth Rock
move 4: Toxic / Will-O-Wisp
ability: Flash Fire
item: Leftovers
nature: Calm
evs: 248 HP / 220 SpD / 40 Spe

Moves
========

This is the standard Heatran that you'll see on most teams. Lava Plume is a solid, consistent STAB attack that comes with a 30% chance to burn. Protect allows Heatran to gains crucial Leftovers recovery, scout the opponent's moves, and rack up Toxic damage. Taunt is a very interesting option for Heatran, as it really helps against more defensive teams and stops Pokemon like Bulk Up Talonflame from setting up on Heatran if you choose to run Will-O-Wisp. It also cripples walls like Clefable, Mandibuzz, Chansey, and Blissey. Finally, Toxic is the best choice for the last moveslot for its ability to nail bulky Water-types such as Rotom-W, Manaphy, and Azumarill on the switch.

Apart from these moves, Heatran has a few other options which are perfectly viable. Will-O-Wisp can be used to deal with Mega Mawile a lot easier and soften physical attacks aimed at Heatran in general; it also cripples common switch-ins to Heatran like Terrakion and Garchomp. Roar is an option to rack up entry hazard damage; it also allows you to phaze certain threats like Swords Dance Mega Mawile and Bulk Up Talonflame. Finally, Stealth Rock can be used on Heatran if you can't find room anywhere else on your team, as Heatran has a good match-up against most Defoggers, such as Latios, Zapdos, and Mandibuzz.

Set Details
========

Leftovers is the item of choice, as it's great for healing off residual damage. 248 HP EVs are used to minimize entry hazard damage, while 40 Speed EVs are used to outspeed Adamant Mega Mawile. The rest is put in Special Defense for additional special bulk. A Calm nature is used to further boost Heatran's Special Defense.

Usage Tips
========

This set is generally suited for defensive and balanced teams. Heatran can easily tank weak Water-type attacks from bulky Water-types, so even if you can't predict their switch-in, it might be best to Toxic them regardless (as with the combination of Protect and Roar, Heatran can easily gain back health via Leftovers). Be careful when using Protect, as it can often be used as setup fodder for sweepers like Garchomp and Terrakion. Heatran can phaze Dragon Dance users, but it shouldn't be your main check, as it still does take quite a lot from boosted Outrages and it's often hit for super effective damage by common coverage moves.

Team Options
========

Bulky Grass-types such as Mega Venusaur, Ferrothorn, Gourgiest-S, and Amoongussare incredible partners for Heatran due to their great synergy and ability to deal with Ground- and Water-type attacks. Bulky Water-types are also very good partners, with Rotom-W, Quagsire, and Keldeo being optimal choices. Having a solid physical wall to take on Garchomp and Terrakion is generally a good option since they often force Heatran out. This makes Gliscor, Skarmory, Landorus-T, and Hippowdon all good teammates. Clefable is a great partner for Heatran, as it can easily take Fighting-type attacks and also provide Wish support, while Heatran easily takes on the Steel-types that annoy Clefable.

SubToxic
########
name: SubToxic
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Toxic
move 3: Lava Plume / Fire Blast / Flamethrower
move 4: Protect / Earth Power
evs: 252 SpA / 12 SpD / 244 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
======

Substitute is the main move of this set, as Heatran's great defensive typing allows it to force switches and easily set up a Substitute. With a Substitute up, Heatran can safely Toxic threats that switch in to take it out. Lava Plume is the preferred STAB for this set, as it's accurate, has a helpful 30% chance to burn the target, and can take out Steel-types that are immune to Toxic. Fire Blast can also be used for more power, though it isn't accurate and doesn't burn as often. Flamethrower is another STAB option for this set, as it's accurate and moderately powerful, though it's not as powerful as Fire Blast and doesn't have the burn chance Lava Plume does. Protect is used in the last slot to stall with Toxic damage as well as gain Leftovers recovery. Earth Power is another option instead of Protect, as it allows Heatran to take out Pokemon that can take Fire-type moves, such as Tyranitar and opposing Heatran.

Set Details
=========

Leftovers are the item of choice, as it allows Heatran to heal off HP lost from using Substitute and residual damage. Flash Fire is a really helpful ability, as it allows Heatran to switch into Fire-type attacks with ease and receive a boost to its Fire-type attacks. The EV spread with a Timid nature allows Heatran to outspeed Adamant Excadrill while giving it some extra special bulk.

Usage Tips
==========

The main strategy for this set is as follows: switch into a Pokemon that Heatran can take on easily with its great defensive typing, such as Clefable or Talonflame, set up a Substitute as your opponent switches out; and then use Toxic, Flamethrower, or Earth Power depending on what your opponent brings in. Toxic should be the move Heatran uses the most, as it's great for slowly wearing the opponent down for the rest of the match. If your opponent is immune to Toxic, Flamethrower or Earth Power should be used for good damage.

Team Options
============

Grass-types such as Mega Venusaur, Ferrothorn, and Gourgeist-S make good partners, as they can easily take the Water- and Ground-type attacks Heatran hates. They can also help wear the opponent down with Leech Seed, Spikes, Iron Barbs, and Will-O-Wisp, respectively. Bulky Flying-types such as Skarmory, Gliscor, and Landorus-T are great partners, as they are immune to Ground-type attacks and can easily take a Fighting-type attack. Water-types such as Keldeo, Rotom-W, and Azumarill can take on the Fire- and Rock-types that resist Heatran's main STAB. Fairy-types, such as Clefable and Sylveon, are also helpful, as they can tank Fighting-type attacks while Heatran can wall the Fire-types they hate. They can also provide Wish support to make up for Heatran's lack of reliable recovery.

Choice Scarf
########
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Overheat / Fire Blast
move 2: Flash Cannon
move 3: Stone Edge / Earth Power
move 4: Flamethrower / Fire Blast / Hidden Power Ice
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Modest
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Moves
========

Overheat is the main STAB option because of its high Base Power, since Choice Scarf Heatran needs as much power as possible. Fire Blast is a more consistent STAB, however, for its ability to clean up late-game. Flash Cannon is a secondary STAB that hits Fairy- and Rock-type Pokemon for super effective damage. Stone Edge allows Heatran to revenge kill key threats such as Volcarona, Talonflame, and Mega Charizard Y. Earth Power offers nice coverage in general and allows Heatran to nail opposing Fire-types like Heatran and Infernape. Flamethrower is an option for a weaker, yet more reliable STAB option. Fire Blast can be used here as well if you're not already using it in the first moveslot. Finally, Hidden Power Ice is an option for more coverage, allowing Heatran to hit Dragon-types for nice damage, although its main use is just to revenge kill Landorus-T and Gliscor.

Set Details
========

The EV spread is used to maximize power and Speed, allowing Heatran to outspeed Greninja. Modest is the nature of choice for this set, since it needs as much power as possible to clean up late-game. Choice Scarf Heatran is more suited to cleaning up late game, while also revenge killing a few threats. Missing out on outspeeding a few Pokemon such as Weavile and Talonflame can prove to be costly, which is why Timid shouldn't be completely neglected as an option, but the extra power is generally more useful than the extra Speed; in any case, Choice Scarf Heatran is best used as a late-game cleaner, meaning it prefers having extra power.

Usage Tips
========

This set is aimed more towards balanced teams, where it can make good use of its surprise factor to check normally faster threats while acting as a 'glue' in general. Try to keep Heatran around as a late-game cleaner, as that's where it's best used. Choice Scarf Heatran can also revenge kill threatening Pokemon such as Mega Pinsir, Scizor, Aegislash, and Excadrill. Choice Scarf Heatran is also quite rare, meaning it can easily catch the opponent off-guard.

Team Options
========

Rotom-W is probably the best partner for Heatran, as it is immune to Ground-type attacks and can fire back with its Water-type STAB. More offensive Water-types, such as Keldeo, can wallbreak and make it easier for Heatran to clean late-game. Grass-types such as Mega Venusaur, Ferrothorn, and Gourgeist-S are also great partners, since they can comfortably tank Water-type attacks. Flying-types such as Skarmory, Gliscor, and Landorus-T make good partners, as they are immune to Ground-type attacks and can tank a Fighting-type attack with relative ease. Fairy-types like Clefable and Sylveon also make good partners, as Heatran can wall the Fire-types they hate, while they can take Fighting-type attacks for Heatran in return.

Other Options
########

Heatran has a few options that aren't listed in the main sets. An offensive set with Air Balloon can be used to allow Heatran to check most Ground-types nicely, but it's checked easily. A Choice Specs set can be used for extreme power, but it's easily walled by Chansey and is outclassed by Mega Charizard Y as a Fire-type wallbreaker. A Sunny Day set with Magma Storm is a possibility, but weather teams aren't nearly as common as they used to be, making this set less effective. Torment is a cool option to use on Heatran to annoy switch-ins that have only one coverage move to hit it with, but generally the first defensive set fits onto teams more easily. Power Herb Solar Beam is a neat idea to nail Water-types for solid damage, but it can only be used once per game.

Checks & Counters
########

**Special Walls**: Chansey and Blissey can take anything Heatran throws at them due to their immense special bulk. Natural Cure and Heal Bell mean they don't mind taking a Toxic either.

**Ground-type**: Ground-types such as Garchomp, Gliscor, and Landorus-T can easily OHKO Heatran with a STAB Earthquake. However, they all hate Will-O-Wisp, Toxic cripples Landorus-T, and Fire Blast can do a hefty chunk of damage to the latter two. Choice Scarf sets can also run Hidden Power Ice to hit them super effectively.

**Water-types**: Bulky Water-types are great switch-ins to most sets, but they must be wary of Toxic. Rotom-W, Keldeo, Manaphy, and Politoed are all common Water-types. Starmie gets a special mention for its ability to spin away Stealth Rock and has access to Natural Cure.

**Rock-types**: Rock-types like Tyranitar and Terrakion can check Heatran nicely, but they must be wary of Flash Cannon. With sand up, their Special Defense is also increased by 50%, allowing them to easily tank a hit or two if need be.

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types like Keldeo and Conkeldurr can easily take a hit and force Heatran out with their STAB attacks. Conkeldurr can also take advantage of Toxic with Guts.

**Dugtrio**: Dugtrio can easily revenge kill Heatran thanks to its ability, Arena Trap, and its access to STAB Earthquake.

Last edited:
hey LightningLuxray, starmie is lazy af and I forgot about this so thanks for finishing it. Also edit the title to QC (4/4) GP (0/2) or something to that effect because it got the 4th approval (but SS didn't update the title because lazy). I have the sub toxic spread and moveset if you want it, but Gary just asked for it so he will probs be the one to give it to you.

hey LightningLuxray, starmie is lazy af and I forgot about this so thanks for finishing it. Also edit the title to QC (4/4) GP (0/2) or something to that effect because it got the 4th approval (but SS didn't update the title because lazy). I have the sub toxic spread and moveset if you want it, but Gary just asked for it so he will probs be the one to give it to you.
No, I'm good on the set, Jukain posted the set in the old thread so that's what I'm using.

Also because I'm adding SubToxic, I'm going to be postponing the final check for now. I also want to add back Balloon Tran, but I'll need QC's opinions on it first.

Also there are a lot of simple grammar mistakes in this that I'd like to fix first, even if I was planning to send this to GP.

Thanks, though! :D

Ok, I'm pretty much done. However, before I take this out of WIP, how do you guys feel about adding back Offensive Balloon Heatran? I know there was some support for it returning on the last thread, and I personally agree with it; Air Balloon is about as good (if not better) than Choice Scarf, which is getting a set.

So... should I add back Balloon Tran, or keep it OO?

SubToxic
########
name: Sub / Toxic
move 1: Protect
move 3: Substitute
move 4: Lava Plume / Fire Blast / Flamethrower

Can you change the spread on SubToxic Heatran to this one? This was the set that Nog was talking about. This spread allows you to outpace Adamant Excadrill while the current set does not. I talked to BKC and he prefers this spread to be used.

I would say keep air balloon but I think adding as a slash is better since its not that different from any of the sets you already have.

SubToxic
########
name: Sub / Toxic
move 1: Protect
move 3: Substitute
move 4: Lava Plume / Fire Blast / Flamethrower

Can you change the spread on SubToxic Heatran to this one? This was the set that Nog was talking about. This spread allows you to outpace Adamant Excadrill while the current set does not. I talked to BKC and he prefers this spread to be used.

I would say keep air balloon but I think adding as a slash is better since its not that different from any of the sets you already have.
Umm yeah sure, I can do that.

Also I'm not sure which set should have Air Balloon slashed .-.

Subject 18 changes have been made, does this look better?

Last edited:
With the SubToxic set you talk about Earth Power but have Protect instead. Also the Water types should be mentioned for taking out opposing Tran which completely wall the set

With the SubToxic set you talk about Earth Power but have Protect instead. Also the Water types should be mentioned for taking out opposing Tran which completely wall the set
I mentioned Earth Power in Moves because it's a notable option for the set, just not slash-worthy. Water-types are also already mentioned in Team Options.

I mentioned Earth Power in Moves because it's a notable option for the set, just not slash-worthy. Water-types are also already mentioned in Team Options.
Earth Power was just listed as the last moveslot although I probably jumped in too soon.
I just meant bulky waters should probably be mentioned for dealing with opposing Tran cos you had nothing listed to deal with opposing Tran who wall every move (unless you run EP)

Earth Power was just listed as the last moveslot although I probably jumped in too soon.
I just meant bulky waters should probably be mentioned for dealing with opposing Tran cos you had nothing listed to deal with opposing Tran who wall every move (unless you run EP)
"Water-types, such as Keldeo, Rotom-W, and Azumarill are helpful partners, as they can take on the Fire- and Rock-types who wall Heatran's main STAB."

If they can't figure out that Heatran is a Fire-type from the analysis then they're hopeless.

Ok, I need one last look over for SubToxic. I'd also like opinions on what should be done with Balloon; there was a lot of support for it in the last thread for being brought back, and I feel like it has enough merit for a set. Either way though, give me your opinions! :)

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
lol it looks like Heatran has a spaceship on his face XD
What does that even have to do with the analysis? XD Liked the post anyway.

LightningLuxray if you are thinking of adding Air Balloon back in, you should probably consider just putting it on an offensive set akin to what was done back in the early days of the old thread. This is because there isn't much reason to run Balloon on defensive sets due to Heatran needing the Lefties recovery enough to pass it up on such sets. It would probably be a little like this one, but probably will be changed a little to make it better.

Offensive
########
name: Offensive
move 1: Fire Blast
move 3: Earth Power
move 4: Hidden Power Ice / Flamethrower
item: Life Orb / Air Balloon
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

What does that even have to do with the analysis? XD Liked the post anyway.

LightningLuxray if you are thinking of adding Air Balloon back in, you should probably consider just putting it on an offensive set akin to what was done back in the early days of the old thread. This is because there isn't much reason to run Balloon on defensive sets due to Heatran needing the Lefties recovery enough to pass it up on such sets. It would probably be a little like this one, but probably will be changed a little to make it better.

Offensive
########
name: Offensive
move 3: Earth Power
move 4: Hidden Power Ice / Flamethrower
item: Life Orb / Air Balloon
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Yes, that's what I was asking... .-. I need QC opinions to see if a set similar to yours should be added back to the analysis.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Mmh i feel that offensive with Air Baloon should get a set, but i am not too sure what it should look like, IMO SR should definitelly be slashed since it is an excellent SR setter for offensive teams especially with Air Balloon and i feel that Will O Wisp really needs a mention since its one of the best offensive checks for M-Mawile. Offensive Heatrans biggest problem is its horrible case of 4MSS that stops it from checking/countering everthing it could potentially check by virtue of its excellent typing, since it lacks the coverage options to actually harm them. SDef Heatran can circumvent this by utilizing Roar and wearing things down with Toxic, but ironically Offensive Heatran is much more often a stitting duck against certain threat if it lacks the appropriate coverage move.

The problem with Gamer Boys proposed set is that if Heatran completly focuses on attacking and is missing out on its valuable support options like SR, WoW it is often outclassed by other better special attackers that don't suffer from slow speed and bad coverage (the mentioned set still has no way of dealing with Charizard, Talonflame or Volcarona).

So if someone can think of an offensive Heatran set that can utilize Heatrans unique strengths and allows it to actually beat the Pokemon you want it to beat i would be all for it, but imo the old offensive set just didn't cut it, everytime i used it it was an okay SR setter but i always felt let down by it since many of the threats you want it to check have ways around it, it easiely loses momentum since it is pretty easy to switch-in with its lack of strong coverage options and its a choire to keep Air Balloon intact as long as you need it.

Mmh i feel that offensive with Air Baloon should get a set, but i am not too sure what it should look like, IMO SR should definitelly be slashed since it is an excellent SR setter for offensive teams especially with Air Balloon and i feel that Will O Wisp really needs a mention since its one of the best offensive checks for M-Mawile. Offensive Heatrans biggest problem is its horrible case of 4MSS that stops it from checking/countering everthing it could potentially check by virtue of its excellent typing, since it lacks the coverage options to actually harm them. SDef Heatran can circumvent this by utilizing Roar and wearing things down with Toxic, but ironically Offensive Heatran is much more often a stitting duck against certain threat if it lacks the appropriate coverage move.

The problem with Gamer Boys proposed set is that if Heatran completly focuses on attacking and is missing out on its valuable support options like SR, WoW it is often outclassed by other better special attackers that don't suffer from slow speed and bad coverage (the mentioned set still has no way of dealing with Charizard, Talonflame or Volcarona).

So if someone can think of an offensive Heatran set that can utilize Heatrans unique strengths and allows it to actually beat the Pokemon you want it to beat i would be all for it, but imo the old offensive set just didn't cut it, everytime i used it it was an okay SR setter but i always felt let down by it since many of the threats you want it to check have ways around it, it easiely loses momentum since it is pretty easy to switch-in with its lack of strong coverage options and its a choire to keep Air Balloon intact as long as you need it.
I'm pretty sure this was pretty close to the set last time, and something I'd agree with:

Offensive Air Balloon
#################
name: Offensive Air Balloon
move 2: Earth Power
move 3: Stealth Rock / Will-O-Wisp / Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Toxic / Stone Edge / Will-O-Wisp
item: Air Balloon

Anyways, basically Fire Blast + Earth Power for good coverage, with the other spots being pretty wide open. Stealth Rock because like you said, Heatran's a great setter, with Will-O-Wisp being an option if you already have a Stealth Rock user and are concerned with Mega Mawile. Finally, if this isn't of concern, you can use Hidden Power Ice as a way to hit Landorus-T and Gliscor with you Air Balloon still intact. The fourth moveslot uses Toxic to cripple the likes of Volcarona, Charizard, and Talonflame for the rest of the match, slowly wearing them down. It also has the utility of being able to put walls on a timer, which is great since they're something this set really struggles with. Stone Edge can be used for a more immediate answer to the previously mentioned Talonflame, Charizard, and Volcarona if they are a more serious problem to the team, and does more damage than Ancient Power, even with a Timid nature. However, it doesn't do as well against stall, making it not the best option. Finally, if these Fire-types aren't all that big of a problem, Will-O-Wisp can be used for the previously mentioned reason of being able to cripple physical attackers such as Mega Mawile.

Does this look good?

No to BalloonTran as a main set in my opinion, it's just an underwhelming attacker that's not as powerful as it used to be, is fairly easy to switch into unless you're a prediction god, is really slow for an offensive mon, and has less defensive utility. Sure, it can be useful, but that's what OO's for.
36 Speed EVs can be used to outspeed Mandibuzz and Toxic it before it can Taunt you.
This makes no sense?
Earth Power is another option instead of Protect, as it allows Heatran to take out Pokemon who can take Flamethrower such as opposing Heatran and Tyranitar.
I'd prefer you slash Earth Power with Protect on SubToxic, because it's very useful to keep pressure and stay in longer, obviously Protect is still good for stalling so keep that first, but Earth Power is a nice move. Also, you want to make the mention Fire-type moves, not Flamethrower.
Switch in to a Pokemon who Heatran can take on easily with its great defensive typing
Such as?
Flash Cannon is STAB attack that also has solid base power.
+ hits Fairy- and Rock-types.
Heatran still reaches 378 speed, allowing it to out speed the fastest un-boosted Pokemon it can possibly out speed (Greninja) while gaining a lot of fire power.
Rephrase this to just say outspeed Greninja. And add a Usage Tip about revenge killing Pokemon, which seems obvious but should be included. It kills Pinsir, Scizor, Excadrill, Aegislash, you know. Buff out the Team Options like you did the other two sets too.

Once you do that, send this to GP. Good work!

No to BalloonTran as a main set in my opinion, it's just an underwhelming attacker that's not as powerful as it used to be, is fairly easy to switch into unless you're a prediction god, is really slow for an offensive mon, and has less defensive utility. Sure, it can be useful, but that's what OO's for.

This makes no sense?

I'd prefer you slash Earth Power with Protect on SubToxic, because it's very useful to keep pressure and stay in longer, obviously Protect is still good for stalling so keep that first, but Earth Power is a nice move. Also, you want to make the mention Fire-type moves, not Flamethrower.

Such as?

+ hits Fairy- and Rock-types.

Rephrase this to just say outspeed Greninja. And add a Usage Tip about revenge killing Pokemon, which seems obvious but should be included. It kills Pinsir, Scizor, Excadrill, Aegislash, you know. Buff out the Team Options like you did the other two sets too.

Once you do that, send this to GP. Good work!
Ok, I'll get working on this, thanks so much :D

This is now ready for GP :]

Last edited:

horyzhnz

[10:02:17 AM] flcl: its hory xD
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
LightningLuxray
add or change
remove

comments
Overview
########

Ever since the start of this generation, Heatran has been a dominating force in the metagame. This is because Heatran is one of the best checks to top threats such as Talonflame, Aegislash, and Clefable. Due to its typing,(AC) it's also one of the best switch-ins (hyphen) to the ever-popular (hyphen) Fairy-types. Apart from it's Heatran's ability to check several threats with it's its solid typing and bulk, it also has solid offensive potential with it's its stellar base 130 Special Attack stat. However, its Heatran's base 77 Speed often lets it down, and its typing also leaves it weak to common Fighting-, Ground-, and Water-type attacks. Unfortunately, Heatran doesn't have any form of reliable recovery, meaning it can be easy to wear down worn down rather easily. However, play to Heatran's strong points, and you won't be disappointed.

Specially Defensive
########
evs: 248 HP / 220 SpD / Spe 40

Moves
========

This is the standard Heatran that you'll see on most teams. Lava Plume is a solid,(AC) consistent STAB attack that comes with a 30% chance to burn. Protect gains crucial Leftovers recovery,(AC) and scouts the opponent's moves, and works great for racking up Toxic damage. Taunt is a very interesting option for Heatran, as it really helps against more defensive teams, as well as stopping Pokemon the like Bulk Up Talonflame from setting up on you (if you choose to run Will-O-Wisp). It also does really well against walls like Clefable, Mandibuzz, Chansey, and Blissey. Finally, Toxic is the best last move slot choice for the last moveslot for its ability to nail bulky Water-types on the switch,(AC) like Rotom-W, Manaphy, and Azumarill.

Apart from these moves, Heatran has a few other options which are perfectly viable. Will-O-Wisp can be used to allow Heatran to deal with Mega Mawlie Mawile a lot easier, and softens physical blows attacks aimed at Heatran. Physical attackers like Terrakion and Garchomp often switch in on into Heatran, making Will-O-Wisp a more reliable way to deal with these switch-ins Pokemon. Roar is an option to rack up nice hazards some entry hazard damage, and allows you to phaze certain threats like Swords Dance Mawlie Mawile and Bulk Up Talonflame. Finally, Stealth Rock can be used on Heatran if you can't find room anywhere else on your team, and as Heatran faces very well with has a good match-up against most Defoggers, like Latios, Zapdos, and Mandibuzz.

Set Details
========

Leftovers is the item of choice, as it's great for healing off residual damage. 248 HP EVs are used to minimize entry hazard damage, while 40 Speed EVs are used to outspeed Adamant Mega Mawile. The rest is put into Special Defense for additional special bulk. A Calm nature is used to further boost Heatran's Special Defense stat.

Usage Tips
========

This set is generally aimed at suited for defensive and balanced teams. Heatran can easily tank weak Water-type attacks from bulky Water-types, so even if you can't predict their switch-in (hyphen), it might be best to Toxic them regardless (as with the combination of Protect and Roar, you can easily gain back health via Leftovers). Be careful when using Protect, as it can often be used as setup fodder for sweepers like Garchomp and Terrakion. Heatran can phaze Dragon Dance users, but it shouldn't be your main check, as it still does take quite a lot from boosted Outrages and it's often hit for super effective damage by common coverage moves.

Team Options
========

Bulky Grass-types are incredible partners for Heatran for their great synergy and their ability to deal with Ground- and Water-type (hyphens) attacks. Mega Venusaur, Ferrothron Ferrothorn, Gouregiest-S Gourgeist-S, and Amoonguss are all options. Speaking of which, bulky Water-types are also very good partners, making Rotom-W, Quagsire, and Keldeo optimal choices. Having a solid physical wall to take on Garchomp and Terrakion is generally a good option since they often force Heatran out. This makes Gliscor, Skarmory, Landorus-T, and Hippowdon all good teammates. Clefable is a great partner for Heatran, as it can easily take on Fighting-type attacks aimed at Heatran,(RC) while and also providing provide Wish support, while Heatran easily takes on Steel-types that annoy Clefable.

SubToxic
########

Moves
======

Substitute is the main move of this set, as Heatran's great defensive typing allows it to force switches and easily set up a Substitute. Toxic is another great move for it on Heatran, as it can Toxic switch-ins coming in to take Heatran out. Lava Plume is the preferred STAB for this set, as it's both accurate,(AC) and it has a helpful 30% chance to burn the target, and it can take out Steel-types who can't be Toxic'd. that are immune to Toxic. Fire Blast can also be used for more power, though it isn't accurate and doesn't burn as often. Flamethrower is another STAB option for this set, as its power it's accurate and moderately powerful, though it's not as powerful as Fire Blast and doesn't have the burn chance Lava Plume does. Protect is used in the last slot to stall out Toxic damage as well as heal for gain Leftovers recovery. Earth Power is another option instead of Protect, as it allows Heatran to take out Pokemon who that can take Fire-type moves,(AC) such as opposing Heatran and Tyranitar Tyranitar and opposing Heatran.

Set Details
=========

Leftovers are the item of choice, as it allows Heatran to heal off HP lost by from using Substitute and residual damage. Flash Fire is a super helpful ability, as it allows Heatran to switch into Fire-type attacks with ease and receive a boost to its Fire-type attacks from it. The EV spread with a Timid nature allow Heatran to outspeed Adamant Excadrill while giving it some extra special bulk.

Usage Tips
==========

The main strategy for this set is as follows: Switch into a Pokemon who that Heatran can take on easily with its great defensive typing, such as Clefable or Talonflame, set up a Substitute as your opponent switches out, and then use Toxic, Flamethrower, or Earth Power depending on who your opponent brings in. Toxic should be the move you use the most, as it's great for slowly wearing the opponent down for the rest of the match. If your opponent can't be Toxic'd poisoned, Flamethrower or Earth Power should be used for good damage.

Team Options
============

Grass-types, such as Mega Venusaur, Ferrothron Ferrothorn, and Gourgeist-S make good partners, as they can easily take the Water- and Ground-type attacks Heatran hates. They can also help wear the opponent down with Leech Seed, Spikes, Iron Barbs, and Will-O-Wisp, respectively. Bulky Flying-types, such as Skarmory, Gliscor, and Landorus-T are great partners, as they are immune to Ground-type attacks and can easily take a Fighting-type attack. Water-types, such as Keldeo, Rotom-W, and Azumarill are helpful partners, as they can take on the Fire- and Rock-types who wall that resist Heatran's main STAB. Fairy-types, such as Clefable and Sylveon, are also helpful, as they can tank Fighting-type attacks while Heatran can wall the Fire-types they hate. They can also provide Wish support to make up for Heatran's lack of reliable recovery.

Choice Scarf
########

Moves
========

Overheat is the main STAB option for Heatran because of its great power high Base Power, as since Choice Scarf Heatran needs as much power as possible. Fire Blast is a more consistent STAB, however, for its ability to clean up late-game (hyphen). Flash Cannon is a STAB attack that has a solid Base Power and hits Fairy- and Rock-type Pokemon for super effective damage. Stone Edge allows Heatran to revenge KO kill key threats, like Volcarona, Talonflame, and Charizard Y. Earth Power offers nice general coverage in general,(AC) and allows Heatran to nail opposing Fire-types like Heatran and Infernape (isn't Infernape UU now?). Flamethower Flamethrower is an option on the Scarf set for a weaker, yet more reliable STAB option. Fire Blast can be used here if you're not already using it in the first moveslot. Finally, Hidden Power Ice is an option for more coverage, allowing Heatran to hit Dragon-types for nice damage, although its main use is just to revenge kill Landorus-T and Gliscor.

Set Details
========

The EV spread gives Heatran max maximizes power and Speed. Modest is the main preferred nature of choice for the Scarf set,(AC) since it needs as much power as possible to clean up late-game (hyphen). The Scarf set is more suited to cleaning up late-game (hyphen), while also revenge killing a few threats. The EVs also allow Heatran to outspeed (Timid or Modest? should probably include it) Greninja. Missing out on outspeeding a few things Pokemon sucks, which is why Timid shouldn't be completely neglected as an option, but the extra power is more useful than the extra Speed, especially when cleaning late-game, which is what Choice Scarf Heatran should aim to do.

Usage Tips
========

The Scarf set is aimed more towards balanced teams. The Choice Scarf set isn't nearly as effective as it used to be, as the metagame just gets faster and faster, so keep this in mind when using Choice Scarf Heatran. Try to keep Heatran around as a late-game (hyphen) cleaner, as that's where it's best used. Choice Scarf Heatran can also revenge kill threatening Pokemon such as Mega Pinsir, Scizor, Aegislash, and Excadrill. Choice Scarf Heatran is also quite rare, so its Choice Scarf can give it a good amount of surprise factor for the opponent.

Team Options
========

Rotom-W is probably the best partner for Heatran, as it is immune to Ground-type attacks and can fire back with its Water-type STAB. Other Water-types make for good partners, such as Keldeo, who can wallbreak and make it easier for Heatran to clean late-game. Grass-types such as Mega Venusaur, Ferrothorn, and Gourgeist-S are also great partners, since they can comfortably tank Water-types attacks comfortably. Flying-types such as Skarmory, Gliscor, and Landorus-T make good partners, as they are immune to Ground-type attacks and can tank a Fighting-type attack with relative ease. Fariy-types like Clefable and Sylveon also make good partners, as Heatran can wall the Fire-types they hate, while they can take Fighting-type attacks for Heatran in return. Often,(RC) The Choice Scarf set is more suited to balanced teams,(AC) and is more of a "glue" to a team that needs to revenge kill certain threats.

Other Options
########

Heatran has a few options that aren't listed in the main sets. An offensive set with Air Balloon can be used to allow Heatran to check most Ground-types nicely, but it's popped very easily popped. A Choice Specs set can be used for extreme power, but it's easily walled by Chansey and is outclassed by Mega Charizard Y as a Fire-type wallbreaker. A Sunny Day set with Magma Storm is a possibility, but weather teams aren't nearly as common as they used to be, making this set less effective. Torment is a cool option to use on Heatran, as it was very effective back in Generation IV, but generally the first defensive set fits onto teams more easier easily onto more teams. Power Herb Solarbeam Solar Beam is a neat idea to nail Water-types for solid damage, but it can only be used once per game.

Checks & Counters
########

**Special Walls**: Chansey and Blissey can take anything Heatran throws at it due to their immense special bulk. Natural Cure and Heal Bell mean they don't mind taking a Toxic,(RC) either.

**Ground-type**: Ground-types, such as Garchomp, Gliscor, and Landorus-T can easily OHKO Heatran with a STAB Earthquake. However, they all hate Will-O-Wisp, Toxic cripples Landorus-T, and Fire Blast can do a hefty chuck to the latter two. Choice Scarf sets can also run Hidden Power Ice to hit them super effectively.

**Water-types**: Bulky Water-types are great switch-ins (hyphen) to most sets, but they must be wary of Toxic. Rotom-W, Keldeo, Manaphy, and Politoed are all common Water-types. Starmie gets a special mention for its ability to spin away Stealth Rock and has Natural Cure.

**Rock-types**: Rock-types like Tyranitar and Terrakion can check Heatran nicely, but they must be wary of Flash Cannon. However, with sand up, their Special Defense stat is increased by 50%, allowing them to easily tank a hit or two if need be.

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types like Keldeo and Conkeldurr can easily take a hit and force Heatran out with their STAB attacks. Conkeldurr can easily switch in as well,(AC) due to it not fearing Toxic due to Guts its Guts ability giving it more power when hit with a Toxic.

**Dugtrio**: Dugtrio can easily revenge kill Heatran thanks to its ability, Arena Trap, and its access to STAB Earthquake.

A few grammatical and technical errors, but overall, really well done. :]

GP 1/2

LightningLuxray
add or change
remove

comments
Overview
########

Ever since the start of this generation, Heatran has been a dominating force in the metagame. This is because Heatran is one of the best checks to top threats such as Talonflame, Aegislash, and Clefable. Due to its typing,(AC) it's also one of the best switch-ins (hyphen) to the ever-popular (hyphen) Fairy-types. Apart from it's Heatran's ability to check several threats with it's its solid typing and bulk, it also has solid offensive potential with it's its stellar base 130 Special Attack stat. However, its Heatran's base 77 Speed often lets it down, and its typing also leaves it weak to common Fighting-, Ground-, and Water-type attacks. Unfortunately, Heatran doesn't have any form of reliable recovery, meaning it can be easy to wear down worn down rather easily. However, play to Heatran's strong points, and you won't be disappointed.

Specially Defensive
########
evs: 248 HP / 220 SpD / Spe 40

Moves
========

This is the standard Heatran that you'll see on most teams. Lava Plume is a solid,(AC) consistent STAB attack that comes with a 30% chance to burn. Protect gains crucial Leftovers recovery,(AC) and scouts the opponent's moves, and works great for racking up Toxic damage. Taunt is a very interesting option for Heatran, as it really helps against more defensive teams, as well as stopping Pokemon the like Bulk Up Talonflame from setting up on you (if you choose to run Will-O-Wisp). It also does really well against walls like Clefable, Mandibuzz, Chansey, and Blissey. Finally, Toxic is the best last move slot choice for the last moveslot for its ability to nail bulky Water-types on the switch,(AC) like Rotom-W, Manaphy, and Azumarill.

Apart from these moves, Heatran has a few other options which are perfectly viable. Will-O-Wisp can be used to allow Heatran to deal with Mega Mawlie Mawile a lot easier, and softens physical blows attacks aimed at Heatran. Physical attackers like Terrakion and Garchomp often switch in on into Heatran, making Will-O-Wisp a more reliable way to deal with these switch-ins Pokemon. Roar is an option to rack up nice hazards some entry hazard damage, and allows you to phaze certain threats like Swords Dance Mawlie Mawile and Bulk Up Talonflame. Finally, Stealth Rock can be used on Heatran if you can't find room anywhere else on your team, and as Heatran faces very well with has a good match-up against most Defoggers, like Latios, Zapdos, and Mandibuzz.

Set Details
========

Leftovers is the item of choice, as it's great for healing off residual damage. 248 HP EVs are used to minimize entry hazard damage, while 40 Speed EVs are used to outspeed Adamant Mega Mawile. The rest is put into Special Defense for additional special bulk. A Calm nature is used to further boost Heatran's Special Defense stat.

Usage Tips
========

This set is generally aimed at suited for defensive and balanced teams. Heatran can easily tank weak Water-type attacks from bulky Water-types, so even if you can't predict their switch-in (hyphen), it might be best to Toxic them regardless (as with the combination of Protect and Roar, you can easily gain back health via Leftovers). Be careful when using Protect, as it can often be used as setup fodder for sweepers like Garchomp and Terrakion. Heatran can phaze Dragon Dance users, but it shouldn't be your main check, as it still does take quite a lot from boosted Outrages and it's often hit for super effective damage by common coverage moves.

Team Options
========

Bulky Grass-types are incredible partners for Heatran for their great synergy and their ability to deal with Ground- and Water-type (hyphens) attacks. Mega Venusaur, Ferrothron Ferrothorn, Gouregiest-S Gourgeist-S, and Amoonguss are all options. Speaking of which, bulky Water-types are also very good partners, making Rotom-W, Quagsire, and Keldeo optimal choices. Having a solid physical wall to take on Garchomp and Terrakion is generally a good option since they often force Heatran out. This makes Gliscor, Skarmory, Landorus-T, and Hippowdon all good teammates. Clefable is a great partner for Heatran, as it can easily take on Fighting-type attacks aimed at Heatran,(RC) while and also providing provide Wish support, while Heatran easily takes on Steel-types that annoy Clefable.

SubToxic
########

Moves
======

Substitute is the main move of this set, as Heatran's great defensive typing allows it to force switches and easily set up a Substitute. Toxic is another great move for it on Heatran, as it can Toxic switch-ins coming in to take Heatran out. Lava Plume is the preferred STAB for this set, as it's both accurate,(AC) and it has a helpful 30% chance to burn the target, and it can take out Steel-types who can't be Toxic'd. that are immune to Toxic. Fire Blast can also be used for more power, though it isn't accurate and doesn't burn as often. Flamethrower is another STAB option for this set, as its power it's accurate and moderately powerful, though it's not as powerful as Fire Blast and doesn't have the burn chance Lava Plume does. Protect is used in the last slot to stall out Toxic damage as well as heal for gain Leftovers recovery. Earth Power is another option instead of Protect, as it allows Heatran to take out Pokemon who that can take Fire-type moves,(AC) such as opposing Heatran and Tyranitar Tyranitar and opposing Heatran.

Set Details
=========

Leftovers are the item of choice, as it allows Heatran to heal off HP lost by from using Substitute and residual damage. Flash Fire is a super helpful ability, as it allows Heatran to switch into Fire-type attacks with ease and receive a boost to its Fire-type attacks from it. The EV spread with a Timid nature allow Heatran to outspeed Adamant Excadrill while giving it some extra special bulk.

Usage Tips
==========

The main strategy for this set is as follows: Switch into a Pokemon who that Heatran can take on easily with its great defensive typing, such as Clefable or Talonflame, set up a Substitute as your opponent switches out, and then use Toxic, Flamethrower, or Earth Power depending on who your opponent brings in. Toxic should be the move you use the most, as it's great for slowly wearing the opponent down for the rest of the match. If your opponent can't be Toxic'd poisoned, Flamethrower or Earth Power should be used for good damage.

Team Options
============

Grass-types, such as Mega Venusaur, Ferrothron Ferrothorn, and Gourgeist-S make good partners, as they can easily take the Water- and Ground-type attacks Heatran hates. They can also help wear the opponent down with Leech Seed, Spikes, Iron Barbs, and Will-O-Wisp, respectively. Bulky Flying-types, such as Skarmory, Gliscor, and Landorus-T are great partners, as they are immune to Ground-type attacks and can easily take a Fighting-type attack. Water-types, such as Keldeo, Rotom-W, and Azumarill are helpful partners, as they can take on the Fire- and Rock-types who wall that resist Heatran's main STAB. Fairy-types, such as Clefable and Sylveon, are also helpful, as they can tank Fighting-type attacks while Heatran can wall the Fire-types they hate. They can also provide Wish support to make up for Heatran's lack of reliable recovery.

Choice Scarf
########

Moves
========

Overheat is the main STAB option for Heatran because of its great power high Base Power, as since Choice Scarf Heatran needs as much power as possible. Fire Blast is a more consistent STAB, however, for its ability to clean up late-game (hyphen). Flash Cannon is a STAB attack that has a solid Base Power and hits Fairy- and Rock-type Pokemon for super effective damage. Stone Edge allows Heatran to revenge KO kill key threats, like Volcarona, Talonflame, and Charizard Y. Earth Power offers nice general coverage in general,(AC) and allows Heatran to nail opposing Fire-types like Heatran and Infernape (isn't Infernape UU now?). Flamethower Flamethrower is an option on the Scarf set for a weaker, yet more reliable STAB option. Fire Blast can be used here if you're not already using it in the first moveslot. Finally, Hidden Power Ice is an option for more coverage, allowing Heatran to hit Dragon-types for nice damage, although its main use is just to revenge kill Landorus-T and Gliscor.

Set Details
========

The EV spread gives Heatran max maximizes power and Speed. Modest is the main preferred nature of choice for the Scarf set,(AC) since it needs as much power as possible to clean up late-game (hyphen). The Scarf set is more suited to cleaning up late-game (hyphen), while also revenge killing a few threats. The EVs also allow Heatran to outspeed (Timid or Modest? should probably include it) Greninja. Missing out on outspeeding a few things Pokemon sucks, which is why Timid shouldn't be completely neglected as an option, but the extra power is more useful than the extra Speed, especially when cleaning late-game, which is what Choice Scarf Heatran should aim to do.

Usage Tips
========

The Scarf set is aimed more towards balanced teams. The Choice Scarf set isn't nearly as effective as it used to be, as the metagame just gets faster and faster, so keep this in mind when using Choice Scarf Heatran. Try to keep Heatran around as a late-game (hyphen) cleaner, as that's where it's best used. Choice Scarf Heatran can also revenge kill threatening Pokemon such as Mega Pinsir, Scizor, Aegislash, and Excadrill. Choice Scarf Heatran is also quite rare, so its Choice Scarf can give it a good amount of surprise factor for the opponent.

Team Options
========

Rotom-W is probably the best partner for Heatran, as it is immune to Ground-type attacks and can fire back with its Water-type STAB. Other Water-types make for good partners, such as Keldeo, who can wallbreak and make it easier for Heatran to clean late-game. Grass-types such as Mega Venusaur, Ferrothorn, and Gourgeist-S are also great partners, since they can comfortably tank Water-types attacks comfortably. Flying-types such as Skarmory, Gliscor, and Landorus-T make good partners, as they are immune to Ground-type attacks and can tank a Fighting-type attack with relative ease. Fariy-types like Clefable and Sylveon also make good partners, as Heatran can wall the Fire-types they hate, while they can take Fighting-type attacks for Heatran in return. Often,(RC) The Choice Scarf set is more suited to balanced teams,(AC) and is more of a "glue" to a team that needs to revenge kill certain threats.

Other Options
########

Heatran has a few options that aren't listed in the main sets. An offensive set with Air Balloon can be used to allow Heatran to check most Ground-types nicely, but it's popped very easily popped. A Choice Specs set can be used for extreme power, but it's easily walled by Chansey and is outclassed by Mega Charizard Y as a Fire-type wallbreaker. A Sunny Day set with Magma Storm is a possibility, but weather teams aren't nearly as common as they used to be, making this set less effective. Torment is a cool option to use on Heatran, as it was very effective back in Generation IV, but generally the first defensive set fits onto teams more easier easily onto more teams. Power Herb Solarbeam Solar Beam is a neat idea to nail Water-types for solid damage, but it can only be used once per game.

Checks & Counters
########

**Special Walls**: Chansey and Blissey can take anything Heatran throws at it due to their immense special bulk. Natural Cure and Heal Bell mean they don't mind taking a Toxic,(RC) either.

**Ground-type**: Ground-types, such as Garchomp, Gliscor, and Landorus-T can easily OHKO Heatran with a STAB Earthquake. However, they all hate Will-O-Wisp, Toxic cripples Landorus-T, and Fire Blast can do a hefty chuck to the latter two. Choice Scarf sets can also run Hidden Power Ice to hit them super effectively.

**Water-types**: Bulky Water-types are great switch-ins (hyphen) to most sets, but they must be wary of Toxic. Rotom-W, Keldeo, Manaphy, and Politoed are all common Water-types. Starmie gets a special mention for its ability to spin away Stealth Rock and has Natural Cure.

**Rock-types**: Rock-types like Tyranitar and Terrakion can check Heatran nicely, but they must be wary of Flash Cannon. However, with sand up, their Special Defense stat is increased by 50%, allowing them to easily tank a hit or two if need be.

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types like Keldeo and Conkeldurr can easily take a hit and force Heatran out with their STAB attacks. Conkeldurr can easily switch in as well,(AC) due to it not fearing Toxic due to Guts its Guts ability giving it more power when hit with a Toxic.

A few grammatical and technical errors, but overall, really well done. :]

GP 1/2

Thanks so much! This has been implemented and Heatran is ready for its second check :]

Deletions
Additions / Corrections
Comments

Overview
########

Ever since the start of this generation, Heatran has been a dominating force in the metagame. This is because (this is just useless filler; get to the point pls ._.) With its Fire / Steel typing and bulk, Heatran is one of the best checks to top threats such as Talonflame, Aegislash, and Clefable, (comma) Due to its typing, it's also one of the best as well as a superb switch-in to the ever-popular Fairy-types. Apart from Heatran's ability to check several threats with its solid typing and bulk, Heatran also has solid offensive potential with its stellar base 130 Special Attack stat. However, Heatran's its base 77 Speed often lets it down, and its typing also leaves it weak to common Fighting-, Ground-, and Water-type attacks. Unfortunately, Heatran doesn't have any form of reliable recovery, meaning it can be worn down rather easily. However, play to Heatran's strong points, and you won't be disappointed.

(Uh yeah, I had to read between the lines a lot at the beginning to get to the important data, so I removed all the fluff and just cut this down to the essentials)

Specially Defensive
########

Moves
========

This is the standard Heatran that you'll see on most teams. Lava Plume is a solid, consistent STAB attack that comes with a 30% chance to burn. Protect allows Heatran to gain crucial Leftovers recovery, scout the opponent's moves, and works great for rack up Toxic damage. Taunt is a very interesting option for Heatran, as it really helps against more defensive teams, as well as and stops Pokemon like Bulk Up Talonflame from setting up on you Heatran if you choose to run Will-O-Wisp. It also does really well against cripples walls like Clefable, Mandibuzz, Chansey, and Blissey. Finally, Toxic is the best choice for the last moveslot for its ability to nail bulky Water-types such as Rotom-W, Manaphy, and Azumarill on the switch like, Rotom-W, Manaphy, and Azumarill.

Apart from these moves, Heatran has a few other options which are perfectly viable. Will-O-Wisp can be used to allow Heatran to deal with Mega Mawile a lot easier, and soften physical attacks aimed at Heatran in general; it also cripples common switch-ins to Heatran such as Physical attackers like Terrakion and Garchomp often switch into Heatran, making Will-O-Wisp a more reliable way to deal with these Pokemon. Roar is an option to rack up entry hazard damage; and allows you to phaze certain threats like Swords Dance Mega Mawile and Bulk Up Talonflame. Finally, Stealth Rock can be used on Heatran if you can't find room anywhere else on your team, as Heatran has a good match-up against most Defoggers, like such as Latios, Zapdos, and Mandibuzz.

Set Details
========

Leftovers is the item of choice, as it's great for healing off residual damage. 248 HP EVs are used to minimize entry hazard damage, while 40 Speed EVs are used to outspeed Adamant Mega Mawile. The rest is put in Special Defense for additional special bulk. A Calm nature is used to further boost Heatran's Special Defense stat.

Usage Tips
========

This set is generally suited for defensive and balanced teams. Heatran can easily tank weak Water-type attacks from bulky Water-types, so even if you can't predict their switch-in, it might be best to Toxic them regardless (as with the combination of Protect and Roar, you Heatran can easily gain back health via Leftovers). Be careful when using Protect, as it can often be used as setup fodder for sweepers like Garchomp and Terrakion. Heatran can phaze Dragon Dance users, but it shouldn't be your main check, as it still does take quite a lot from boosted Outrages and it's often hit for super effective damage by common coverage moves.

Team Options
========

Bulky Grass-types such as Mega Venusaur, Ferrothorn, Gourgeist-S, and Amoonguss are incredible partners for Heatran for due to their great synergy and their ability to deal with Ground- and Water-type attacks. Mega Venusaur, Ferrothorn, Gourgiest-S, and Amoonguss are all options. Speaking of which, Bulky Water-types are also very good partners, making with Rotom-W, Quagsire, and Keldeo being optimal choices. Having a solid physical wall to take on Garchomp and Terrakion is generally a good option since they often force Heatran out. This makes Gliscor, Skarmory, Landorus-T, and Hippowdon all good teammates. Clefable is a great partner for Heatran, as it can easily take on Fighting-type attacks aimed at Heatran and also provide Wish support, while Heatran easily takes on the Steel-types that annoy Clefable.

SubToxic
########

Moves
======

Substitute is the main move of this set, as Heatran's great defensive typing allows it to force switches and easily set up a Substitute. Toxic is another great move for Heatran, as it can Toxic switch-ins coming in to take Heatran out With a Substitute up, Heatran can safely Toxic threats that switch in to take it out. Lava Plume is the preferred STAB for this set, as it's accurate, has a helpful 30% chance to burn the target, and it can take out Steel-types that are immune to Toxic. Fire Blast can also be used for more power, though it isn't accurate and doesn't burn as often. Flamethrower is another STAB option for this set, as it's accurate and moderately powerful, though it's not as powerful as Fire Blast and doesn't have the burn chance Lava Plume does. Protect is used in the last slot to stall out with Toxic damage as well as gain Leftovers recovery. Earth Power is another option instead of Protect, as it allows Heatran usable over Protect to take out Pokemon that can take Fire-type moves, such as Tyranitar and opposing Heatran.

Set Details
=========

Leftovers are the item of choice, as it allows Heatran to heal off HP lost from using Substitute and residual damage. Flash Fire is a super really helpful ability, as it allows Heatran to switch into Fire-type attacks with ease and receive a boost to its Fire-type attacks. The EV spread with a Timid nature allows Heatran to outspeed Adamant Excadrill while giving it some extra special bulk.

Usage Tips
==========

The main strategy for this set is as follows: switch into a Pokemon that Heatran can take on easily with its great defensive typing, such as Clefable or Talonflame; set up a Substitute as your opponent switches out; and then use Toxic, Flamethrower, or Earth Power depending on what your opponent brings in. Toxic should be the move you Heatran uses the most, as it's great for slowly wearing the opponent down for the rest of the match. If your opponent is immune to Toxic, Flamethrower or Earth Power should be used for good damage.

Team Options
============

Grass-types, (remove comma) such as Mega Venusaur, Ferrothorn, and Gourgeist-S make good partners, as they can easily take the Water- and Ground-type attacks Heatran hates. They can also help wear the opponent down with Leech Seed, Spikes, Iron Barbs, and Will-O-Wisp, respectively. Bulky Flying-types, (remove comma) such as Skarmory, Gliscor, and Landorus-T are great partners, as they are immune to Ground-type attacks and can easily take a Fighting-type attack. Water-types, (remove comma)such as Keldeo, Rotom-W, and Azumarill are helpful partners, as they can take on the Fire- and Rock-types that resist Heatran's main STAB. Fairy-types, such as Clefable and Sylveon, are also helpful, as they can tank Fighting-type attacks while Heatran can wall the Fire-types they hate. They can also provide Wish support to make up for Heatran's lack of reliable recovery.

Choice Scarf
########

Moves
========

Overheat is the main STAB option for Heatran because of its high Base Power, since Choice Scarf Heatran needs as much power as possible. Fire Blast is a more consistent STAB, however, for its ability to clean up late-game. Flash Cannon is a STAB attack that has solid Base Power and is a secondary STAB that hits Fairy- and Rock-type Pokemon for super effective damage. Stone Edge allows Heatran to revenge kill key threats, like such as Volcarona, Talonflame, and Mega Charizard Y. Earth Power offers nice coverage in general, (remove comma) and allows Heatran to nail opposing Fire-types like Heatran and Infernape. Flamethrower is an option on the Scarf set for a weaker, yet more reliable STAB option. Fire Blast can be used here as well if you're not already using it in the first moveslot. Finally, Hidden Power Ice is an option for more coverage, allowing Heatran to hit Dragon-types for nice damage, although its main use is just to revenge kill Landorus-T and Gliscor.

Set Details
========

The EV spread is used to maximize power and Speed, allowing Heatran to outspeed Greninja. Modest is the nature of choice for the Scarf this set, since it needs as much power as possible to clean up late-game. The Choice Scarf set Heatran is more suited to cleaning up late-game, while also revenge killing a few threats. The EV spread with a Modest nature also allow Heatran to outspeed Greninja. Missing out on outspeeding a few Pokemon (such as? Please mention some threats that Heatran can outspeed with Timid) sucks can prove to be costly (formal language is preferred in analyses), which is why Timid shouldn't be completely neglected as an option, but the extra power is generally more useful than the extra Speed; in any case, Choice Scarf Heatran is best used as a late-game cleaner, meaning it prefers having extra power especially when cleaning late-game, which is what Choice Scarf Heatran should aim to do.

Usage Tips
========

The Scarf set is This set is aimed more towards balanced teams, where it can make good use of its surprise factor to check normally faster threats while acting as a 'glue' in general. The Choice Scarf set isn't nearly as effective as it used to be, as the metagame just gets faster and faster, so keep this in mind when using Choice Scarf Heatran. (Never talk about what 'used to be'. Focus on what is relevant now. I also didn't get the second part; do you mean to say that Speed creep renders Scarftran ineffective?) Try to keep Heatran around as a late-game cleaner, as that's where it's best used. Choice Scarf Heatran can also revenge kill threatening Pokemon such as Mega Pinsir, Scizor, Aegislash, and Excadrill. Choice Scarf Heatran is also quite rare, so its Choice Scarf can give it surprise factor.

Team Options
========

Rotom-W is probably the best partner for Heatran, as it is immune to Ground-type attacks and can fire back with its Water-type STAB. Other More offensive Water-types make for good partners, such as Keldeo, who can wallbreak and make it easier for Heatran to clean late-game. Grass-types such as Mega Venusaur, Ferrothorn, and Gourgeist-S are also great partners, since they can comfortably tank Water-type attacks. Flying-types such as Skarmory, Gliscor, and Landorus-T make good partners, as they are immune to Ground-type attacks and can tank a Fighting-type attack with relative ease. Fairy-types like Clefable and Sylveon also make good partners, as Heatran can wall the Fire-types they hate, while they can take Fighting-type attacks for Heatran in return. The Choice Scarf set is more suited to balanced teams, and is more of a "glue" to a team that needs to revenge kill certain threats. (I shifted to this "Usage Tips")

Other Options
########

Heatran has a few options that aren't listed in the main sets. An offensive set with Air Balloon can be used to allow Heatran to check most Ground-types nicely, but it's popped checked easily. A Choice Specs set can be used for extreme power, but it's easily walled by Chansey and is outclassed by Mega Charizard Y as a Fire-type wallbreaker. A Sunny Day set with Magma Storm is a possibility, but weather teams aren't nearly as common as they used to be, making this set less effective. Torment is a cool option to use on Heatran to annoy switch-ins that have only one coverage move to hit it with, (ignore this if it's irrelevant; I presume this is how the Torment set worked) as it was very effective back in Generation IV, but generally the first defensive set fits onto teams more easily. Power Herb Solar Beam is a neat idea to nail Water-types for solid damage, but it can only be used once per game.

Checks & Counters
########

**Special Walls**: Chansey and Blissey can take anything Heatran throws at it them due to their immense special bulk. Natural Cure and Heal Bell mean they don't mind taking a Toxic either.

**Ground-type**: Ground-types, (remove comma) such as Garchomp, Gliscor, and Landorus-T can easily OHKO Heatran with a STAB Earthquake. However, they all hate Will-O-Wisp, Toxic cripples Landorus-T, and Fire Blast can do a hefty chunk of damage to the latter two. Choice Scarf sets can also run Hidden Power Ice to hit them super effectively.

**Water-types**: Bulky Water-types are great switch-ins to most sets, but they must be wary of Toxic. Rotom-W, Keldeo, Manaphy, and Politoed are all common Water-types. Starmie gets a special mention for its ability to spin away Stealth Rock and has access to Natural Cure.

**Rock-types**: Rock-types like Tyranitar and Terrakion can check Heatran nicely, but they must be wary of Flash Cannon. However, With sand up, their Special Defense stat is also increased by 50%, allowing them to easily tank a hit or two if need be.

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types like Keldeo and Conkeldurr can easily take a hit and force Heatran out with their STAB attacks. Conkeldurr can also take advantage of Toxic with Guts easily switch in as well, due to it's Guts ability giving it more power when it is hit by Toxic.

A few paragraphs here and there were fluff-ridden, but the rest of the analysis was solid ^_^

GP 2 / 2

Last edited:
Deletions
Additions / Corrections
Comments

Overview
########

Ever since the start of this generation, Heatran has been a dominating force in the metagame. This is because (this is just useless filler; get to the point pls ._.) With its Fire / Steel typing and bulk, Heatran is one of the best checks to top threats such as Talonflame, Aegislash, and Clefable, (comma) Due to its typing, it's also one of the best as well as a superb switch-in to the ever-popular Fairy-types. Apart from Heatran's ability to check several threats with its solid typing and bulk, Heatran also has solid offensive potential with its stellar base 130 Special Attack stat. However, Heatran's its base 77 Speed often lets it down, and its typing also leaves it weak to common Fighting-, Ground-, and Water-type attacks. Unfortunately, Heatran doesn't have any form of reliable recovery, meaning it can be worn down rather easily. However, play to Heatran's strong points, and you won't be disappointed.

(Uh yeah, I had to read between the lines a lot at the beginning to get to the important data, so I removed all the fluff and just cut this down to the essentials)

Specially Defensive
########

Moves
========

This is the standard Heatran that you'll see on most teams. Lava Plume is a solid, consistent STAB attack that comes with a 30% chance to burn. Protect allows Heatran to gain crucial Leftovers recovery, scout the opponent's moves, and works great for rack up Toxic damage. Taunt is a very interesting option for Heatran, as it really helps against more defensive teams, as well as and stops Pokemon like Bulk Up Talonflame from setting up on you Heatran if you choose to run Will-O-Wisp. It also does really well against cripples walls like Clefable, Mandibuzz, Chansey, and Blissey. Finally, Toxic is the best choice for the last moveslot for its ability to nail bulky Water-types such as Rotom-W, Manaphy, and Azumarill on the switch like, Rotom-W, Manaphy, and Azumarill.

Apart from these moves, Heatran has a few other options which are perfectly viable. Will-O-Wisp can be used to allow Heatran to deal with Mega Mawile a lot easier, and soften physical attacks aimed at Heatran in general; it also cripples common switch-ins to Heatran such as Physical attackers like Terrakion and Garchomp often switch into Heatran, making Will-O-Wisp a more reliable way to deal with these Pokemon. Roar is an option to rack up entry hazard damage; and allows you to phaze certain threats like Swords Dance Mega Mawile and Bulk Up Talonflame. Finally, Stealth Rock can be used on Heatran if you can't find room anywhere else on your team, as Heatran has a good match-up against most Defoggers, like such as Latios, Zapdos, and Mandibuzz.

Set Details
========

Leftovers is the item of choice, as it's great for healing off residual damage. 248 HP EVs are used to minimize entry hazard damage, while 40 Speed EVs are used to outspeed Adamant Mega Mawile. The rest is put in Special Defense for additional special bulk. A Calm nature is used to further boost Heatran's Special Defense stat.

Usage Tips
========

This set is generally suited for defensive and balanced teams. Heatran can easily tank weak Water-type attacks from bulky Water-types, so even if you can't predict their switch-in, it might be best to Toxic them regardless (as with the combination of Protect and Roar, you Heatran can easily gain back health via Leftovers). Be careful when using Protect, as it can often be used as setup fodder for sweepers like Garchomp and Terrakion. Heatran can phaze Dragon Dance users, but it shouldn't be your main check, as it still does take quite a lot from boosted Outrages and it's often hit for super effective damage by common coverage moves.

Team Options
========

Bulky Grass-types such as Mega Venusaur, Ferrothorn, Gourgeist-S, and Amoonguss are incredible partners for Heatran for due to their great synergy and their ability to deal with Ground- and Water-type attacks. Mega Venusaur, Ferrothorn, Gourgiest-S, and Amoonguss are all options. Speaking of which, Bulky Water-types are also very good partners, making with Rotom-W, Quagsire, and Keldeo being optimal choices. Having a solid physical wall to take on Garchomp and Terrakion is generally a good option since they often force Heatran out. This makes Gliscor, Skarmory, Landorus-T, and Hippowdon all good teammates. Clefable is a great partner for Heatran, as it can easily take on Fighting-type attacks aimed at Heatran and also provide Wish support, while Heatran easily takes on the Steel-types that annoy Clefable.

SubToxic
########

Moves
======

Substitute is the main move of this set, as Heatran's great defensive typing allows it to force switches and easily set up a Substitute. Toxic is another great move for Heatran, as it can Toxic switch-ins coming in to take Heatran out With a Substitute up, Heatran can safely Toxic threats that switch in to take it out. Lava Plume is the preferred STAB for this set, as it's accurate, has a helpful 30% chance to burn the target, and it can take out Steel-types that are immune to Toxic. Fire Blast can also be used for more power, though it isn't accurate and doesn't burn as often. Flamethrower is another STAB option for this set, as it's accurate and moderately powerful, though it's not as powerful as Fire Blast and doesn't have the burn chance Lava Plume does. Protect is used in the last slot to stall out with Toxic damage as well as gain Leftovers recovery. Earth Power is another option instead of Protect, as it allows Heatran usable over Protect to take out Pokemon that can take Fire-type moves, such as Tyranitar and opposing Heatran.

Set Details
=========

Leftovers are the item of choice, as it allows Heatran to heal off HP lost from using Substitute and residual damage. Flash Fire is a super really helpful ability, as it allows Heatran to switch into Fire-type attacks with ease and receive a boost to its Fire-type attacks. The EV spread with a Timid nature allows Heatran to outspeed Adamant Excadrill while giving it some extra special bulk.

Usage Tips
==========

The main strategy for this set is as follows: switch into a Pokemon that Heatran can take on easily with its great defensive typing, such as Clefable or Talonflame; set up a Substitute as your opponent switches out; and then use Toxic, Flamethrower, or Earth Power depending on what your opponent brings in. Toxic should be the move you Heatran uses the most, as it's great for slowly wearing the opponent down for the rest of the match. If your opponent is immune to Toxic, Flamethrower or Earth Power should be used for good damage.

Team Options
============

Grass-types, (remove comma) such as Mega Venusaur, Ferrothorn, and Gourgeist-S make good partners, as they can easily take the Water- and Ground-type attacks Heatran hates. They can also help wear the opponent down with Leech Seed, Spikes, Iron Barbs, and Will-O-Wisp, respectively. Bulky Flying-types, (remove comma) such as Skarmory, Gliscor, and Landorus-T are great partners, as they are immune to Ground-type attacks and can easily take a Fighting-type attack. Water-types, (remove comma)such as Keldeo, Rotom-W, and Azumarill are helpful partners, as they can take on the Fire- and Rock-types that resist Heatran's main STAB. Fairy-types, such as Clefable and Sylveon, are also helpful, as they can tank Fighting-type attacks while Heatran can wall the Fire-types they hate. They can also provide Wish support to make up for Heatran's lack of reliable recovery.

Choice Scarf
########

Moves
========

Overheat is the main STAB option for Heatran because of its high Base Power, since Choice Scarf Heatran needs as much power as possible. Fire Blast is a more consistent STAB, however, for its ability to clean up late-game. Flash Cannon is a STAB attack that has solid Base Power and is a secondary STAB that hits Fairy- and Rock-type Pokemon for super effective damage. Stone Edge allows Heatran to revenge kill key threats, like such as Volcarona, Talonflame, and Mega Charizard Y. Earth Power offers nice coverage in general, (remove comma) and allows Heatran to nail opposing Fire-types like Heatran and Infernape. Flamethrower is an option on the Scarf set for a weaker, yet more reliable STAB option. Fire Blast can be used here as well if you're not already using it in the first moveslot. Finally, Hidden Power Ice is an option for more coverage, allowing Heatran to hit Dragon-types for nice damage, although its main use is just to revenge kill Landorus-T and Gliscor.

Set Details
========

The EV spread is used to maximize power and Speed, allowing Heatran to outspeed Greninja. Modest is the nature of choice for the Scarf this set, since it needs as much power as possible to clean up late-game. The Choice Scarf set Heatran is more suited to cleaning up late-game, while also revenge killing a few threats. The EV spread with a Modest nature also allow Heatran to outspeed Greninja. Missing out on outspeeding a few Pokemon (such as? Please mention some threats that Heatran can outspeed with Timid) sucks can prove to be costly (formal language is preferred in analyses), which is why Timid shouldn't be completely neglected as an option, but the extra power is generally more useful than the extra Speed; in any case, Choice Scarf Heatran is best used as a late-game cleaner, meaning it prefers having extra power especially when cleaning late-game, which is what Choice Scarf Heatran should aim to do.

Usage Tips
========

The Scarf set is This set is aimed more towards balanced teams, where it can make good use of its surprise factor to check normally faster threats while acting as a 'glue' in general. The Choice Scarf set isn't nearly as effective as it used to be, as the metagame just gets faster and faster, so keep this in mind when using Choice Scarf Heatran. (Never talk about what 'used to be'. Focus on what is relevant now. I also didn't get the second part; do you mean to say that Speed creep renders Scarftran ineffective?) Try to keep Heatran around as a late-game cleaner, as that's where it's best used. Choice Scarf Heatran can also revenge kill threatening Pokemon such as Mega Pinsir, Scizor, Aegislash, and Excadrill. Choice Scarf Heatran is also quite rare, so its Choice Scarf can give it surprise factor.

Team Options
========

Rotom-W is probably the best partner for Heatran, as it is immune to Ground-type attacks and can fire back with its Water-type STAB. Other More offensive Water-types make for good partners, such as Keldeo, who can wallbreak and make it easier for Heatran to clean late-game. Grass-types such as Mega Venusaur, Ferrothorn, and Gourgeist-S are also great partners, since they can comfortably tank Water-type attacks. Flying-types such as Skarmory, Gliscor, and Landorus-T make good partners, as they are immune to Ground-type attacks and can tank a Fighting-type attack with relative ease. Fairy-types like Clefable and Sylveon also make good partners, as Heatran can wall the Fire-types they hate, while they can take Fighting-type attacks for Heatran in return. The Choice Scarf set is more suited to balanced teams, and is more of a "glue" to a team that needs to revenge kill certain threats. (I shifted to this "Usage Tips")

Other Options
########

Heatran has a few options that aren't listed in the main sets. An offensive set with Air Balloon can be used to allow Heatran to check most Ground-types nicely, but it's popped checked easily. A Choice Specs set can be used for extreme power, but it's easily walled by Chansey and is outclassed by Mega Charizard Y as a Fire-type wallbreaker. A Sunny Day set with Magma Storm is a possibility, but weather teams aren't nearly as common as they used to be, making this set less effective. Torment is a cool option to use on Heatran to annoy switch-ins that have only one coverage move to hit it with, (ignore this if it's irrelevant; I presume this is how the Torment set worked) as it was very effective back in Generation IV, but generally the first defensive set fits onto teams more easily. Power Herb Solar Beam is a neat idea to nail Water-types for solid damage, but it can only be used once per game.

Checks & Counters
########

**Special Walls**: Chansey and Blissey can take anything Heatran throws at it them due to their immense special bulk. Natural Cure and Heal Bell mean they don't mind taking a Toxic either.

**Ground-type**: Ground-types, (remove comma) such as Garchomp, Gliscor, and Landorus-T can easily OHKO Heatran with a STAB Earthquake. However, they all hate Will-O-Wisp, Toxic cripples Landorus-T, and Fire Blast can do a hefty chunk of damage to the latter two. Choice Scarf sets can also run Hidden Power Ice to hit them super effectively.

**Rock-types**: Rock-types like Tyranitar and Terrakion can check Heatran nicely, but they must be wary of Flash Cannon. However, With sand up, their Special Defense stat is also increased by 50%, allowing them to easily tank a hit or two if need be.

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types like Keldeo and Conkeldurr can easily take a hit and force Heatran out with their STAB attacks. Conkeldurr can also take advantage of Toxic with Guts easily switch in as well, due to it's Guts ability giving it more power when it is hit by Toxic.

A few paragraphs here and there were fluff-ridden, but the rest of the analysis was solid ^_^

GP 2 / 2
Haha thanks, yeah a lot of these paragraphs weren't written by me...

Anyways, I'll implement this when I get home :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)