Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved and taken over from Aragorn the King

Hippowdon

PokeDex Number: #450

Base Stats: 108 HP / 112 Atk / 118 Def / 68 SAtk / 72 SDef / 47 Spe

Abilities:

Sand Stream

Sand Stream summons a sandstorm in battle as soon as a Pokémon with Sand Stream enters.If a Pokémon with Sand Stream is sent out in the same turn as another Pokémon whose Ability causes a different weather condition, the slower Pokémon's Ability will override the faster Pokémon's Ability. The item Smooth Rock extends its turns to 8 and if not then it only lasts for five turns

Sand Force
(Hidden Ability)

Sand Force raises the power of Rock,Ground and Steel-type moves by 30% while a Sandstorm is in effect. It also gives the user immunity to damage from Sandstorm.

Notable Moves:
(STABs are in Bold)

Stealth Rock
Slack Off

Earthquake
Crunch
Toxic
Whirlwind
Stone Edge
Ice Fang

Overview:

Hippowdon is a fantastic mon in the OU Meta. It's got decent bulk on both sides backed up by a nice HP stat. It's got access to reliable recovery, the access to an entry hazard in the form of Stealth Rock, phazing ability due to Whirlwind/Roar and the ability to check some prevelant threats in OU like M-Metagross(w/o Grass Knot), M-Lopunny, Talonflame, Excadrill as well as Pokemon like Gengar and Thundurus-I provided it's running a Mixed Wall Set.

Sets:

Mixed Wall

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock

Set Description: The 112 SpD EVs allow it to avoid the 2HKO from HP Ice from M-Manectric, Raikou and LO Thundurus-I. The rest of the EVs are invested in HP and Defense, maximising bulk. This is the best set that Hippowdon can run in the current meta checking the likes of Talonflame, Garchomp, non Band Dragonite, Bisharp, Gengar, Raikou and M-Manectric.

Physically Defensive

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Toxic / Whirlwind
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock

Set Description: 252 HP EVs and 252 Defense EVs along with an Impish nature maximise Hippowdon's good physical bulk. It's a pretty standard set, it's unable to take on the likes of Gengar and M-Manectric and loses its utility that the Mixed Set had. This is a pretty straightforward set which takes on the likes of Talonflame, Bisharp and Scizor(Mega) rather easily.

Specially Defensive

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Crunch / Whirlwind
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock

Set Description: This is a pretty interesting take on Hippowdon. It's naturally bulky on the defensive side so maximising its average SpD stat makes it a pretty good wall overall. It can be used on balanced teams that struggle against Gengar ,Special M-Altaria, M-Manectric, Raikou and M-Diancie. It's a pretty neat set that can often be used as glue for some teams.

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've got the hide tags and the text inside them covered for you. Just c/p the text inside the code box below (replacing the existing BBcode and text for the sets) and you should be set.
Code:
[hide][left][b]Mixed Wall:[/b]
Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock

[b]Set Description:[/b] The 112 SpD EVs allow it to avoid the 2HKO from HP Ice from M-Manectric and LO Thundurus-I.The rest of the EVs are invested in HP and Defense,maximising bulk.This is the best set that Hippowdon can run in the current meta checking the likes of Talonflame,Garchomp,non-Choice Band Dragonite,Bisharp and Gengar.

[b]Physically Defensive[/b]
Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock

[b]Set Description:[/b] 252 HP EVs and 252 Defense EVs along with an Impish nature maximise Hippowdon's good physical bulk.It's a pretty standard set,it's unable to take on the likes of Gengar and Thundurus and uses its utility that the Mixed Set had.

[b]Specially Defensive:[/b]
Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock

[b]Set Description:[/b] This is a pretty interesting take on Hippowdon.It's naturally bulky on the defensive side so maximising its average SpD stat makes it a pretty good wall overall.I like it on balanced teams that struggle against Gengar,Special M-Altaria,M-Manectric,Raikou and M-Diancie.It's a pretty neat set that can often be used as glue for some teams.[/left][/hide]
Also yeah. Get rid of Roar. There is literally zero reason to use it if you have Whirlwind.

Last edited:

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Not to be rude Analytic but do you have a problem with your space key? Your words aren't all pushed together but after every comma or period there is no space and it is a little difficult to read.

Otherwise looks good once the hides are fixed up and throw some slashes on the sets like Crunch on the SpDef set and Toxic and Whirlwind as options on some sets as well.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've got the hide tags and the text inside them covered for you. Just c/p the text inside the code box below (replacing the existing BBcode and text for the sets) and you should be set.
Code:
[hide][left][b]Mixed Wall:[/b]
Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock

[b]Set Description:[/b] The 112 SpD EVs allow it to avoid the 2HKO from HP Ice from M-Manectric and LO Thundurus-I.The rest of the EVs are invested in HP and Defense,maximising bulk.This is the best set that Hippowdon can run in the current meta checking the likes of Talonflame,Garchomp,non-Choice Band Dragonite,Bisharp and Gengar.

[b]Physically Defensive[/b]
Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock

[b]Set Description:[/b] 252 HP EVs and 252 Defense EVs along with an Impish nature maximise Hippowdon's good physical bulk.It's a pretty standard set,it's unable to take on the likes of Gengar and Thundurus and uses its utility that the Mixed Set had.

[b]Specially Defensive:[/b]
Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock

[b]Set Description:[/b] This is a pretty interesting take on Hippowdon.It's naturally bulky on the defensive side so maximising its average SpD stat makes it a pretty good wall overall.I like it on balanced teams that struggle against Gengar,Special M-Altaria,M-Manectric,Raikou and M-Diancie.It's a pretty neat set that can often be used as glue for some teams.[/left][/hide]
Also yeah. Get rid of Roar. There is literally zero reason to use it if you have Whirlwind.
I've just reallised that I forgot the hide tags in the code when I posted this D:.

Anyway been edited and fixed now. Should be good to C/P.

DennisEG

Civil Engineer
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Wait where is the Sand Force CB/LO Hippo, yeah a lil bit unorthodox set and maybe weird af but hey hit like a truck in sand.

Hippowdon @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Ice Fang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)