ORAS OU Hoopa-Unbound Team

Yoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :]

How's it going Smogon Fam?! So I bring you my 2nd ever Rate My Team and it features a Pokemon that I have grown very fond of, Hoopa-Unbound! This thing wrecks face! With base 160/170/80 for offences + speed, this thing takes a dump all over fat stall teams and anything unprepared! With access to a very colorful and wide movepool and an impressive 680 BST, this thing becomes a new version of Kyurem-Black with the role of being a mixed wallbreaker. Now this thing doesn't have rainbows and ponies flying around it as there are some very notable flaws and weaknesses that will limit the ability to shine for Hoopa-Unbound. 80/60/130 for bulk isn't bad on the special side, but on the physical side, it gets wrecked by even neutral hits and with Life Orb recoil + being exposed to all forms of entry hazards, it's life can be a short one in battle. Have a 4x weakness to Bug types (cough..U-Turn...cough), this thing is easily U-Turn bait/fodder for opposing teams. It also does not stack up well against Hyper Offence teams as base 80 speed is mediocre at best and will be out-sped and possible OHKO'd. It also doesn't help that it's ability isn't the best either since it depends on an item to function better in battle. HOWEVER, do not let it's flaws get in the way of how deadly it can be! Allow me to give you guys a breakdown of this team! :]

Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Gunk Shot - Fairy type Coverage
- Dark Pulse - Dark Type STAB
- Psychic - Secondary STAB
- Drain Punch - Bye bye Steel Types!

The star of this team! With access to mixed offensive stats and a mixed movepool, this thing becomes a chore to switch into without taking some heavy damage to pay the price. This thing also is one of my Fairy checks (even though it is weak to Fairy, Gunk Shot says hi!) The moveset I have for Hoopa-Unbound allows for it to deal super effective damage to all sorts of Pokemon and equip with Life Orb, these attacks become very scary to stomach in battle!

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock - Hazard pressure
- Roar - No set up bruh!
- Earthquake - Powerful STAB
- Dragon Tail - STAB + another way to faze

Do I even need to explain this role? Aaaahhh fine! This thing gives the big F-U to U-turn spam as this takes away 28% of the opponents health when you factor in Rough Skin + Rocky Helmet. It's also a physical tank who helps patch up Hoopa-Unbounds weaknesses to physical moves. The moveset I have here allows for it to take hits and function as a fazer so any set up Pokemon will have a hard time dealing with this beast! Also, with hazards on the field, it's ability to faze becomes much more valued!

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Head - Diancie can go away please!
- Whirlwind - Go away set up mons
- Spikes - More hazards = harder time to switch in!
- Roost - Keep me healthy!

Skarmory is an asset to this team as it straight up counters u-Turn and helps with tanking hits. It's unique typing gives it a large number of resists and 2 immunities. It's only 2 weaknesses, fire and electric, get's dealt with when Garchomp steps in! The function for Skarm is similar to Garchomp as it's meant to take hits from both sides more or less since this is my special defensive Skarmory as well as set up hazards and faze out opponents. This thing deals very well against Fairy type pokemon, which this team IS VERY WEAK TO. The spread and role allows for me to deal with Mega Gardevoir, Mega Diancie and other fairy types that think they can freely spam fairy moves...Skarmory says NO!

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice - Fairy STAB + Sub troll lol
- Heal Bell - bye bye status
- Wish - let me heal you all
- Protect - I don't want to take damage now, thanks!

We have our cleric as well as the 3rd member of the DRAGON/STEEL/FAIRY core. It's pretty self explanatory on what her role is. She is Physically defensive to allow for it to take hits better form both sides as well as be able to wish pass and heal bell away status conditions that would plauge this team otherwise.

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog - I don't like hazards here!
- Roost - I need to be healthy too!
- Psyshock - STAB that damages special walls very well
- Draco Meteor - DROP A DRACO FOR PokeaimMD!

Latias forms an offensive duo with Hoopa-Unbound as, with Life Orb, you can bet on this thing messing up a lot of shit in battle! With 80/90/130 for great bulk and 110 SpA with 110 Spe, this thing becomes very dependable for me in battle! This is also my hazard control, if I find hazards are too much for my side, Defog blows them away..but that means it'll blow away MY hazards too (DAMMIT LATIAS)! Roost for healing to keep my offensive mon in good health. Psyshock for STAB and to punish special walls. Draco to...DROP A DRACO FOR POKEAIMMD! :D

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off - Utility check with item removal
- Taunt - Attack me!
- Will-O-Wisp - Burn baby, burn!
- Recover - I need health!

Here comes my come from behind MVP of this team! This thing becomes such a nuisance for stall teams and teams that revolve around status conditions and hazard set up to win as this says...MAGIC BOUNCE! With prankster being an awesome ability before mega evolving, this thing can get off a quick taunt or will-o-wisp to mess with teams. Will-o-wisp cuts attack and causes residual damage and with this thing being special defensive, this just becomes so hard to take on! Recover is easily spammable and with Magic bounce, it cannot be directly statused! :D

Okay, my hands hurt from typing now! I actually have made a video for this team building process to give the viewers a more in depth mindset to communicate what I was thinking while choosing these Pokemon. I will leave a link FOR A REFERENCE POINT AND HONEST CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISMS ONLY! I encourage it because things like that helps growth for me all around! Thank you all for viewng and I hope to hear back!

- A Smogon Tyrannosaurus-Rex who protects this community!

Fairy Types, Specifically Clefable are a pain for your team to handle in general
Lum Berry Bisharp also dents a number

Well a offensive Starmie can help the rapid spin problem, or you can use the bulky set mentioned by Tricking

Double Phasing on Garchomp seems a little useless, as it won't stand up to fairies anyhow run a spread of 248 HP / 168 Def / 72 SpD / 16 Spe OR the 92 speed with toxic or Fire blast over Roar (or Rest/Endure if necessary).

On Sableye run a spread of 248 HP / 112 Def / and 148 SpD with Foul Play OR Metal Burst over Taunt
and Unaware Clef can Be a wish passer if you need it, but since Starmie, Sableye and Skarmory can block absorb / block Status you can run thunder wave on Clefable to Slow down X-Zard for Garchomp to finish off of flamethower coverage.

All around nice team.

Last edited:

Tricking

MALDINI
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 6th Official Ladder Tournamentwon the 7th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
Hi MegaMasher,

nice team you have here, but there are a few flaws, so let's just move onto the rate.

First of all, I suggest you to change your Hoopa's spread with some more EVs invested in Attack: this will allow you to 2HKO Chansey and Defensive Heatran after Stealth Rock residual damage, then just give 32 EVs in HP in order to hit Life Orb number. Then, you don't need all that speed, just be sure to outpace Jolly 70s.
Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
EVs: 32 HP / 48 Atk / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Naive Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Psyshock
- Dark Pulse

Secondly, your Garchomp spread is pointless, because you don't need all that Defense EVs, whilst you need more Speed in order to outspeed Jolly base 70s, such as Breloom, Skarmory, and Bisharp. And you don't need two phazing moves, therefore just put Fire Blast which helps you deal with Scizor over Roar, keeping Dragon Tail.
Garchomp (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spd
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Replace Sylveon with Unaware Clefable, this will prevent you from being 6-0ed by Serperior, while still being able to Wishpass and heal the status of the teammates.
Clefable (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 224 HP / 248 Def / 36 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell

Then, I don't get why you put a defogger in your team when you built it around hazards stacking. So, just replace Latias with Rapid Spin bulky Starmie: you will still be able to check Keldeo and keep hazards control, but this won't be detrimental for the hazards you have set up so far.
Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 16 SpD / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect Type / Psyshock
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Finally, Taunt on Mega Sableye isn't the best choice as there won't be a lot of Pokemon that will tend to use status moves against a Magic Bounce user, so just replace it with a most useful move such as Metal Burst, which will allow you to OHKO Charizard Y after it has attacked you with its Fire-type STAB move. Then, I'll fix your spread, since you need to deal with Physical attackers and making Sableye a Special wall isn't absolutely the best way to do that provided that you still have Skarmory on your team which checks Gardevoir, Gengar and other powerful special attackers.
Sableye (M) @ Sablenite
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Knock Off
- Metal Burst
- Recover

Hope I helped, good luck with your team :]

Hi MegaMasher,

nice team you have here, but there are a few flaws, so let's just move onto the rate.

First of all, I suggest you to change your Hoopa's spread with some more EVs invested in Attack: this will allow you to 2HKO Chansey and Defensive Heatran after Stealth Rock residual damage, then just give 32 EVs in HP in order to hit Life Orb number. Then, you don't need all that speed, just be sure to outpace Jolly 70s.
Hoopa-Unbound @ Life Orb
EVs: 32 HP / 48 Atk / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Naive Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Psyshock
- Dark Pulse

Secondly, your Garchomp spread is pointless, because you don't need all that Defense EVs, whilst you need more Speed in order to outspeed Jolly base 70s, such as Breloom, Skarmory, and Bisharp. And you don't need two phazing moves, therefore just put Fire Blast which helps you deal with Scizor over Roar, keeping Dragon Tail.
Garchomp (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spd
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Replace Sylveon with Unaware Clefable, this will prevent you from being 6-0ed by Serperior, while still being able to Wishpass and heal the status of the teammates.
Clefable (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 224 HP / 248 Def / 36 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell

Then, I don't get why you put a defogger in your team when you built it around hazards stacking. So, just replace Latias with Rapid Spin bulky Starmie: you will still be able to check Keldeo and keep hazards control, but this won't be detrimental for the hazards you have set up so far.
Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 16 SpD / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect Type / Psyshock
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Finally, Taunt on Mega Sableye isn't the best choice as there won't be a lot of Pokemon that will tend to use status moves against a Magic Bounce user, so just replace it with a most useful move such as Metal Burst, which will allow you to OHKO Charizard Y after it has attacked you with its Fire-type STAB move. Then, I'll fix your spread, since you need to deal with Physical attackers and making Sableye a Special wall isn't absolutely the best way to do that provided that you still have Skarmory on your team which checks Gardevoir, Gengar and other powerful special attackers.
Sableye (M) @ Sablenite
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Knock Off
- Metal Burst
- Recover

Hope I helped, good luck with your team :]
Wow! This honestly looks legit! :] I really appreciate your input as this looks like it will help out greatly! :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)