SM RU Hot Wings (STALL)

Introduction

Once upon a time, 2 months ago, I turned to the dark side and came up with the 2nd hottest stall at the time (the 1st being Snorlax + Lurantis stall) for the RU tier, just because I was trying to learn the style and laugh when the opponents realized they were powerless. It went through many variations, along with some of my bad playing and lack of good hazard removal, but now I think it has reached its prime. Again, I present to you, Spider Web Stall (losely built on SPL OU stall framework cause that's my main tier lol)

The Team

aim (Florges-White) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 248 HP / 184 Def / 76 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy
Firstly we have the Chansey of the team. Its main job is to wish pass into the other members that don't have the most reliable recovery and heal statuses. Moonblast for an offensive option coming off a high base Sp.Atk. Wish + Protect is obvious, stalling out mons that can't break it in 2 hits. The EVs give it bulk on both sides, stomaching a variety of hits. But it's not a punching bag, that's a job for the rest of the team. Think of it as a supporting character, it may die early in the film but it keeps the plot going.
PSA: Run Iron Head on your Bronzong. Gyro Ball has 8 PP so this can beat it 1v1.

cbb (Registeel) @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss / Iron Head
- Protect
Secondly we have the Skarmory/Sableye of the team. Reliable rocker, annoying Toxic stall potential and incredible mixed bulk. Seismic Toss for consistent damage, while Iron Head can hit Ghost-types that threaten the team like Mismagius. The EVs again give is staying power on both sides (they're actually 1 point apart).

emvee (Araquanid) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Rest
- Spider Web
- Soak
- Toxic
Now for the star of the squad. Shoutout to DuncanKneeDeep for the idea. Here we marvel at the masterpiece that is Spider Web + Soak + Toxic Araquanid. It's basically Dugtrio lost cousin. It's the ultimate 1v1 Pokemon. You think your puny defensive Grass-types such as Chesnaught can switch in to this? Then you're dead wrong, you pitiful peasant. All you have to do is trap with Spider Web, click Soak to remove the STAB boost from them and click Toxic. After a few turns click Rest (time it right) and there ya go. Max HP, max Sp.Def since most physical hits are either knocking it out straight up or not do any significant damage at all.

ctc (Moltres) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 204 SpD
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Air Cutter / Flamethrower
- Substitute
Now this is the new edition to the family. Previously this slot was for Komala, then Flygon, then Gligar. Then I had nightmares of missing a Toxic on a VinCune, so I decided to put Pressure Moltres on the team, acting a PP stall mon and hazard control. Now, Air Cutter might seems weird on this, but hear me out. Yes, Flamethrower is a stronger attack, but it IS a stall team so PP conservation is better. Air Cutter has 40 PP while Flamethrower has 24. Use whatever move you want, I just like the fact that Air Cutter will actually have a use outside of being Zapdos' best Flying STAB. The EVs give it bulk on both sides to, at the least, take a strong blow for the team if needed. Give it Speed EVs if you want to outspeed Heracross and scare it out.

blunder (Quagsire) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 SpD
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Earth Power / Haze / Encore
- Toxic
The lord of ORAS stall has returned to claim the throne once again. Obviously the only reason Quagsire is used is because of the great ability it shares with Clefable, being Unaware stopping setup mons from running through the team. Recover for staying power, Scald is for fishing, Toxic since this thing hits like a toddler and the last slot is whatever you want. There's Infestation, Earthquake, Earth Power, Seismic Toss, Encore... Even Haze is not a bad option since the one mon that can actually 1v6 this team is Mismagius, and those pesky Sp.Def drops really hurt your chances with Quagsire. EVs can be changed depending on which mons are annoying to stop.

chimp & baby chimp (Weezing) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Def / 184 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Bomb
- Taunt / Haze / Pain Split
Now for the glue that keeps everything from dying to Rhyperior, Weezing. It provides Toxic Spikes, a key component of this team, and a reliable Ground-immunity. Will-O-Wisp cripples physical attackers, Sludge Bomb for STAB and the last slot, again is whatever you need. There's Pain Split for recovery, Destiny Bond for a newbie to spam, Explosion because why not lol, Taunt or Haze for stopping setup... The EVs again give it bulk on both side of the spectrum, but more geared towards Defense.

Conclusion

The RU Open is coming up, so the Stall option is available to players. Thank me later lol :] Be careful of Mismagius and Comfey. Update: Heracross is being suspected, time to use Stall and get reqs.

Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy

Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss
- Protect

Calm Nature
- Rest
- Spider Web
- Soak
- Toxic

ctc (Moltres) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 204 SpD
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Air Cutter
- Substitute

EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 SpD
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Haze
- Toxic

chimp & baby chimp (Weezing) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Def / 184 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Bomb
- Haze

Last edited:

Conflux

big boy diamonds
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Really weak to Flame Orb Heracross. Suicune is banned from RU so no need of running Pressure Moltres just to beat it. I recommend swapping Moltres with Acrobatics Gligar because burned Facade 2HKOs both Moltres and Florges and OHKOs them at +2. Weezing has a chance of living two but doesn't beat Heracross due to its lack of recovery and offensive pressure.

252 Atk Guts Heracross Facade (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 56 Def Moltres: 228-269 (59.5 - 70.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Guts Heracross Facade (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 184+ Def Florges: 220-259 (61.2 - 72.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Guts Heracross Facade (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 76+ Def Weezing: 162-191 (48.6 - 57.3%) -- 50% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Not only is Gligar a better check to Heracross and a better wall in general because of Eviolite, it's also a better Defogger since it's not 4x weak to rocks.

Next change I want to recommend is Cofagrigus over Weezing. It has access to Toxic Spikes and Will-O-Wisp like Weezing but it has better overall bulk, a better typing (it stops Bewear for instance) and its Mummy ability can help beat Heracross as well if you put a Colbur Berry on it because then it won't get the Guts boost.

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Acrobatics
- Defog

Cofagrigus @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Mummy
Bold Nature
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Toxic Spikes
- Rest

Really weak to Flame Orb Heracross. Suicune is banned from RU so no need of running Pressure Moltres just to beat it. I recommend swapping Moltres with Acrobatics Gligar because burned Facade 2HKOs both Moltres and Florges and OHKOs them at +2. Weezing has a chance of living two but doesn't beat Heracross due to its lack of recovery and offensive pressure.

252 Atk Guts Heracross Facade (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 56 Def Moltres: 228-269 (59.5 - 70.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Guts Heracross Facade (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 184+ Def Florges: 220-259 (61.2 - 72.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Guts Heracross Facade (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 76+ Def Weezing: 162-191 (48.6 - 57.3%) -- 50% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Not only is Gligar a better check to Heracross and a better wall in general because of Eviolite, it's also a better Defogger since it's not 4x weak to rocks.

Next change I want to recommend is Cofagrigus over Weezing. It has access to Toxic Spikes and Will-O-Wisp like Weezing but it has better overall bulk, a better typing (it stops Bewear for instance) and its Mummy ability can help beat Heracross as well if you put a Colbur Berry on it because then it won't get the Guts boost.

Gligar @ Eviolite
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Acrobatics
- Defog

Bold Nature
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Toxic Spikes
- Rest
While I agree that Heracross destroys any stall, that sh*t is obvious. Heracross breaks any team that's remotely defensive. Previously I actually had Gligar instead of Moltres. Literally the only reason I replaced it with Big Bird is because I wanted to try something new, and something similar to VinCune (in OU, not RU, I'm an OU player). About Cofag, again in my latest OU masterpiece "Triple C", I used Cofag so it's a bit more refreshing. Of course Cofag is better than Weezing at laying layers, the true reason I chose Weezing over something else previously is because it checks CM Comfey along with Registeel, since the few mons that have broken this team before (in my experience) are Mismagius and Comfey. So I guess here's a second version if anyone's interested:
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy

Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss
- Protect

Calm Nature
- Rest
- Spider Web
- Soak
- Toxic

Gligar @ Eviolite
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Acrobatics
- Defog

EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 196 SpD
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Haze
- Toxic

Bold Nature
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Toxic Spikes
- Rest

Conflux

big boy diamonds
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Well in your OP you said you used Moltres cause of VinCune and feared missing Toxic on it with Gligar. If you want to use it because it's fresh and not standard than that's fine. As for what you said about Weezing checking Comfey, with Registeel around you don't need any other checks to it because it gets hard walled. If you've lost to Comfey before, you can just preserve your Registeel next time if you can.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)