How do you handle Mega-Gengar Perish Song?

I have to admit that I have a problem facing this monster and would love some help on how to tackle it.

Proof on how stomped I get by it;
TC5W-WWWW-WWWW8-GTEJ

Scarfchomp always does well for me. Doubt Mega Gengar will like a Scarfed Outrage or EQ. Not sure why you kept on Rock Sliding... Mega Gengar also doesn't like fighting non-burned Mega Mawiles.

You could also run Volt Switch or U-Turn on something.

A Mega DDtar may suit your team better compared to Mega Khan from what I saw anyway.

Scarfchomp always does well for me. Doubt Mega Gengar will like a Scarfed Outrage or EQ. Not sure why you kept on Rock Sliding... Mega Gengar also doesn't like fighting non-burned Mega Mawiles.

You could also run Volt Switch or U-Turn on something.

A Mega DDtar may suit your team better compared to Mega Khan from what I saw anyway.
I pretty much knew I was fucked after turn one so I did lots of mistake in that match :P

Will think about DDtar, was a long time ago I upgraded my double team :)

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
The thing with Mega Gengar is that you can't let it get set up, whatever you do. You did this in your replay by double Protecting: Baaad idea, as that meant guaranteeing Gengar's setup. Predicting the Fake Out based on which of your leads is more threatening at least gives you a 50% chance to get significant damage off on it. This element is taken away if you lead with a Ghost. There's really nothing you can do to keep it from Mega Evolving and therefore getting Shadow Tag; however, there's plenty of ways you can get around it's Subs and get damage off on it. Substitute at base 130 Speed is really hard to get the jump on, so faster things are key, especially priority. A lot of prio users work great against it, particularly Sableye and Talonflame, as Sableye dodges non-Khan Fake Out and can therefore taunt it first turn, and Talonflame just smacks it unless it's behind a Sub. Azumarill and Lucario have to look out for Sludge Bomb and Shadow Ball, respectively, but they also deal a chunk of damage with Aqua Jet and Bullet Punch. Finally, Shadow Sneak breaks it's face as well without the shakiness of Sucker Punch.

tl;dr Taunt and offensive pressure. And by offensive pressure I mean just smack it :p

Perhaps a prankster pokemon might help, for this you will need a bit of prediction though. When you believe your opponent will throw in Gengar, sent out your Prankster to taunt it and keep it from doing much. I would recommend Sableye with a specially Defensive spread, it has worked for me with dealing other threats, I'm sure it would do fine against Gengar.

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
I just remember why I never have tried him yet, I got the Y version, can't get his stone :'(
*Waves*

I'm distributing battle ready pokemon for anyone to use on battle spot, and I conveniently have a ddance ttar already bred up with the mega stone. Mega stones require direct trading (which is a bit more tedious for both of us than GTS trading), so if you're still around, give me a holler via PM or by posting on my trade shop thread (link in sig).

EDIT: To anyone who wants more info on what I'm distributing for battle spot, please see the first post in my trade shop (link in sig), or my post on the first page of the SQ/SA thread. :)

Two ways - You Prankster taunt it or you kill it. It's really that simple. Mega gardy, ironically destroys him because he normally carries sub/prot/shadowb/perish and not poison stab. Otherwise, you stealth rock when he subs and you EQ him with basically anything.

*Waves*

I'm distributing battle ready pokemon for anyone to use on battle spot, and I conveniently have a ddance ttar already bred up with the mega stone. Mega stones require direct trading (which is a bit more tedious for both of us than GTS trading), so if you're still around, give me a holler via PM or by posting on my trade shop thread (link in sig).

EDIT: To anyone who wants more info on what I'm distributing for battle spot, please see the first post in my trade shop (link in sig), or my post on the first page of the SQ/SA thread. :)
After this post were made I finally got a mega tyranitar stone from a friend, but I will take a look at your tyranitar and might breed a shiny version of it :3

Hi. As I run perish trap usually in VGC (and it got me top 32 at UK nationals this year), there are a few things to note:

1. Although people say it runs substitute, Be Aware Of Disable. Many a time I go into battle with mine and a specs hydreigon appears. :) Silly hydreigon now struggles to death, or is perish trapped.
  2. DD ttar (and it's mega) is a pain in the rear, unless gengar is supported by rain. Rain trap is nice to use against other weather.
  3. It is usually supported really well. Fake outs, redirection, eject buttons, disable and encore, ally switch, etc... Aim for gengar's partner, and they seem a little miffed why they are 3-4 down.
  4. Dark types and ground types are the best to hit it with, especially with earthquake. However, look out for gothitelle coming in as it's ally, and also be aware of disable. Disable is far superior to substitute

I have to admit that I have a problem facing this monster and would love some help on how to tackle it.

Proof on how stomped I get by it;
TC5W-WWWW-WWWW8-GTEJ
Counter with a Gengar/Dusknoir/Dusclops/Cofagrigus that knows Disable.

A moveset I'd recommend for a Disable variant Gengar in particular is the following:

Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Substitute
Disable

I know this is a little off the topic but how does one deal with PerishTrap teams in triples? I'm finding it to be really ridiculous.

I know this is a little off the topic but how does one deal with PerishTrap teams in triples? I'm finding it to be really ridiculous.
Volt Switch, U-Turn, Eject Botton, Aegislash. Triple target the Shadow Taggers on a non-Protect turn. Or, depending on your read of the team, gang up on the partners to at least reduce their lead at the end of Perish Song (maybe even trapping in the Shadow Tagger). Most will focus on protecting the Shadow Tag Pokemon, which can be used to your advantage.

Perish Trap is hell in triples, though, and is one of the things that makes doubles a bit more balanced.

Volt Switch, U-Turn, Eject Botton, Aegislash. Triple target the Shadow Taggers on a non-Protect turn. Or, depending on your read of the team, gang up on the partners to at least reduce their lead at the end of Perish Song (maybe even trapping in the Shadow Tagger). Most will focus on protecting the Shadow Tag Pokemon, which can be used to your advantage.

Perish Trap is hell in triples, though, and is one of the things that makes doubles a bit more balanced.
Yeah I try to do most of that but it's difficult most of the time since there's usually fake out and rage powder/follow me support which is what makes them more threatening for me. I just to have to get better at predicting what they're going to do and when and what they're going to switch, i suppose. I need more experience playing them, I don't see these teams often but when I do it's pretty brutal.

As a player who uses perish trap, I mostly have a method for dealing with stuff like volt switch and u-turn, in the form of eject button (Cancels the 2) and raichu (electric redirection, so no more volt switch). I do agree though, aegislash is a pain for perish. I can double target it with a shadow ball + another move, but supported aegi can cause grief. Luckily, most are OHKOed in blade form from muddy water kingdra. Eject button is a pain, but I can deal with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)