How much $ would it cost to create a competitive MTG deck?

I haven't played TCG's for a long, long time. I kinda want to get into MTG, but I'm aware that it's pretty expensive. I don't know whether this question has an answer, but can anyone give me an estimate on the cost to create a decently competitive MTG deck?

Depends on the deck, obviously, but I think you can expect most competitive decks to hit about $300 US, and it increases with the way recent players all seem to think every deck needs the same few cards (e.g. Tarmogoyf, now Baneslayer, the Planeswalkers, etc.)

As a MTG player for 8-years now, I've seen this question fly by many, many times. Magic has changed over the years since I was a kid playing. It became less of a "help me, I'm a beginner" type of game into "if you cant learn it, just leave it" type of game. Or if you cant afford it, then also leave it.

The thing about your question is that it's hard to give you one simple answer. So many sets (I think 4 sets come out a year now?) come out every year, meaning new cards, and new deck types to play. Most decks competitively nowadays are basically the same, much like how Pokemon battling is in OU -- you see a lot of the same stuff. Though, it is true, as the person above has stated that a decent competitive deck will cost you around $300. Though, the price can vary as well, and it can get near to $500 or it can be around $150 - $200.

The thing about Magic today is that with so many new sets coming out a year, it makes it harder for a deck to last. You cant just upgrade it here and there, you have to make a new one with every block. The price varies mostly on a deck with the new sets, the condition of the card(s), the block set, and the type of deck you're going to build. You can always consider buiding something that suits you as well, and don't have to play aggro or control or aggro-control or whatever is in for deck types of that block set. I mainly play combo/control, and for me it can either sky-rocket in price due to me needing some rare shit that has a high price tag on it, or it can be super cheap and a very effective deck without it being gimmicky.

There is also problems on where and how you buy your cards. Most players, like myself, go to industrial areas in my state (California) where they have sections that sell MTG cards along with like sports cards and Yugioh cards, etc., etc.. If you have a place like that, or if you're not sure, try to find one -- cards will be cheaper there as they're venders and you can bid with them on prices. Buying cards out of booster packs is pretty lame. It's too expensive IMO and just not worth it. If you're going to build a deck, then best you just go ahead and straight-out buy the cards you need right then and there. If you're rich like most kids I see playing MTG, then buying a few boxes full of booster packs also works on getting some stuff you may need in mint condition and if you don't need the rest, you sell 'em and get what you need (or save it for your collection or whatnot).

Basically, Magic isn't a cheap card game anymore. Cards are better (in some sets) and can get pricey.

~ Aether Nexus

The thing about Magic today is that with so many new sets coming out a year, it makes it harder for a deck to last. You cant just upgrade it here and there, you have to make a new one with every block. The price varies mostly on a deck with the new sets, the condition of the card(s), the block set, and the type of deck you're going to build. You can always consider buiding something that suits you as well, and don't have to play aggro or control or aggro-control or whatever is in for deck types of that block set. I mainly play combo/control, and for me it can either sky-rocket in price due to me needing some rare shit that has a high price tag on it, or it can be super cheap and a very effective deck without it being gimmicky.
This is the case if you play standard, but if your budget is limited, you can buy a legacy deck (nearly every card is allowed, except for the banlist) and play it for many years, maybe you dont have to update it once.

And I cant really tell what a good deck costs in the USA because i´m from germany, but i bought my deck for 120€ if this is helping you. I think the best play to ask would be mtgsalavation.com

EDIT:
over 9000
cent. HAHAHA

thanks for the info :)

if I wanted to buy a beginners construction deck to start off with, which one should I choose?

If you are looking to play Standard, which rotates sets every year (as someone explained earlier), the two best decks in the format right now cost over $700 USD. If you want to play an archetype that will lose very few cards when the rotation happens in the fall (when the new expansion, Scars of Mirrodin, is released, Conflux/Shards of Alara/Alara Reborn/Magic 2010 will rotate out), I would recommend Vampires. This deck type also has a favorable matchup against the best deck in the current metagame, UWr Planeswalker Control, as well as against any control deck in general. The deck type will almost assuredly lose Vampire Nocturnus (a ~$15 card) when M10 rotates out (because it is very unlikely that it will be reprinted in M11), but after the rotation you can just adjust your deck by buying a few cards and play Mono-Black Control (or you can go for a completely different archetype if you would not mind spending more money). A Vampires deck that recently won a National Qualifiers tournament a month ago cost a low price of $184, a pretty reasonable price when compared to the other decks in the format. Another deck that placed in the top 8 at a recent PTQ (Pro Tour Qualifier) costed only $93 to build, because it did not play Vampire Nocturnus or a few other somewhat expensive cards that the other list did. Another thing to note about Vamps is that it's worst matchup, Jund, will lose all of it's best cards and become virtually unplayable after the rotation.

^Ah, I see, thanks :)

What if I wanted to play Legacy..?
The problem with playing Legacy is that a lot of the best decks run multiples of the original dual lands, which run at least $35 a piece (the least useful color combination) and up to $85 a piece (the most useful). Another card that you will need to invest in if you want to be competitive in Legacy is Force of Will, a $45 card itself. You will probably need 4 of them, because the good decks in Legacy win in the first 3 turns or so (Force of Will is essentially a 0 mana counterspell). Most top level Legacy decks cost over $1000, but you do have the benefit of cards never rotating out.

Magic became too expensive for me. I tried to recently get back into, but all the Tier 1 decks for Standard were in the $300-$450 range.

Mono Red which is considered "budget" will still run you $150-$200...lol

Love the game, just can't afford to keep up with it.

Out of general interest, how does MtG compare to other trading card games on this front of cost for a competitive deck?

I wouldn't recommend buying all the pieces of a tier one deck and starting from there. If you are new to the game, and it sounds as if you are correct me if I'm wrong, then its probably best to buy a pre-constructed deck, get a few games in, attend a pre-release or two and through this learn what type of deck and strategy you like to play the most.

I can't think of anything worst than dropping 320 bucks on a playset of Jaces and then realizing you hate playing control. Sure, once you figure out what you want to play go ahead and buy the singles for it, but the game is just too damn expensive at the moment to jump right in without doing your research first.

My advice is to find a store that holds regular tournaments, and attend a few of these events. Usually you can make friends with a few people who are willing to lend you cards for important events. The financial burden becomes a lot easier to manage when there is a community that is willing to help each other out.

Also, in case you aren't aware, you can play magic without actually owning a deck. The limited formats, sealed and draft, make it possible to play with just the cards opened before an event starts. This can be a cheaper way to obtain cards while also getting some practice in.

Out of general interest, how does MtG compare to other trading card games on this front of cost for a competitive deck?
Not familiar with other TCGs, but the cost of new card is pretty outrageous. New cards going for $75-80.

Good luck trying to run multiple colors without spending $200 on your mana base...lol

Once you have a small collection built up and you're a good player, you can get by pretty cheap by winning. It's just the initial investment that's so brutal.

Not familiar with other TCGs, but the cost of new card is pretty outrageous. New cards going for $75-80.

Good luck trying to run multiple colors without spending $200 on your mana base...lol

Once you have a small collection built up and you're a good player, you can get by pretty cheap by winning. It's just the initial investment that's so brutal.
Well, that's basically on the day of release. Prices usually top out around $40 when things cool down.

@cantab: Dear god. In yugioh you need about $1000+ for a deck that can win a tournament round, and pokemon's pretty expensive too.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Competitive Pokemon TCG decks are cheapwe in comparison to anything else. The most expensive card ever sold individually was Great Encounters Claydol (which has now been rotated out of the format) at $44 RRP per card (and most people ran about 2-3), and a whole 60-card deck for Pokemon shouldn't cost you more than $250. A Full Luxray/Garchomp (the most successful deck right now) in complete mint sells for $287 on the market.
The reason PTCG decks are a lot cheaper is because Boosters hold more cards for less price, and sets in general contain no more than 150 cards, so it's easier to get what you need. As well as this, structure decks and Booster Tins often contain sets of useful card combos. Decks in particular are a great way to get 10-15 energy of at least two types along with 2-3 copies of some helpful trainers.

As for Duel Masters, it's a similar story except Premade decks come out one deck once every 2-3 sets. This is because each DM set is vastly smaller than any other TCG, with the smallest DM set clocking in at 80 cards. However, they're also printed in less mass quantity, so boosters are more expensive. The other problem being is that DM is a sort of game where "If this card doesn't deserve 3-4 copies in a deck it doesn't belong," and especially for Ultra and Super Rares, getting 4 copies can be a real pain.
Most GRB / RBU Aggro decks can rack up about $300 easily, and GUY or RYU control is even more expensive.

Since people asked how MtG compares to other games when it comes to cost issues, I guess I can mention Fight Klub without it being mindless advertising. To be honest I'm obviously still advertising a game I love, but buying a full FK set (not just a deck - I mean enough cards to build ANY deck you can imagine in a specific set) costs less than $100. And there's a special promotion going on at the moment which reduces this cost to $30 for the first set (which is advised to all the new players anyway).

Of course it's not only cheap, it's also a fantastic game with a lot more depth than most other card games... But if I go down that path, this post will be way too long :p the website is decipher.com if you're interested and my nick there is Accent as well, in case you register.

I haven't played MTG for a few years but I remember that the 'top decks' can get pretty expensive, since they usually run multiple rare lands, which are kind of expensive (assuming 10$ each like it was when I played and 8+ rare lands in your deck...yeah.)

I could never afford that so I'd usually build cheap creature decks. My favorite was White Weenie back in Mirrodin or somewhere around there. It cost about 20 bucks and was really fun to play, even if I couldn't take it to a weekly tournament and beat the kids with their Broodstar Affinity crap or whatever was the top deck back then.

Crack is cheaper....

That saying, building a competitive deck will cost well over $200 dollars. Your competitive deck will last until the next expansion (not long), meaning another $200+ down the drain.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)