How To Become Pro At Chaining

Sunday - I want people to share experiences and talk about chaining, or have some sort of social experience here if they want. I think putting it in the Contributions section might kill that. I may do it anyway though, I'm still debating it. I'd do another poll, but I don't think people really know what I'm talking about. I suppose on GameFAQs people discuss chaining a lot in that thread because it's the only place to find fun, intelligent (or at least not retarded) people. So maybe that social aspect wouldn't exist here. And would people see it in the Contributions section? I didn't even know what that was until yesterday, lol.

king - Didn't you ask me that on AIM? STFU. JK.

Phizzlax - Nicely done!! I may add that to the main thread when I'm not tired and lazy. You sure about Tangela? How do you get that?

Sorry for double post (and CAPS), but this is important:

POST OPINIONS ON WHERE THIS THREAD SHOULD BE LOCATED BASED ON WHAT I JUST SAID TO SUNDAY AND WHAT I SAID IN THE INTRO!

Wow, I considered myself a pretty decent chainer before this but I guess I was wrong. I started chaining Shinx today and I've managed to catch 3 shinys in the one chain, which I think is pretty good... I was so happy that I created a profile just so I could comment on this thread

A couple of qs:

1)This formula here...

....................14747 - 40(n) Where P = Probability
P(shiny) = ------------------ and n = Chain length
....................2621440 x (41 - n)
According to this, your chance of finding a shiny actually decreases after a chain of 40, assuming there are absolute value signs around the equation. Am I right or am I wrong? My DS is still running on the same chain that I caught those 3 Shinx in and I want to know whether I should abandon it or not.

2) In situations like these...

4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4
4 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 4
4 3 2 2 2 2 2 3 4
4 3 2 1 1 1 2 3 4
4 3 2 1 Y 1 2 3 4
4 3 2 1 1 1 2 3 4
4 3 2 2 2 2 2 3 4
4 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 4
4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4

4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4
4 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 4
4 3 2 2 2 2 2 3 4
4 3 2 1 1 1 2 3 4
4 3 2 1 Y 1 2 3 4
4 3 2 1 1 1 2 3 4
4 3 2 2 2 2 2 3 4
4 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 4
4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4

What should I do?

BTW, I think this thread is fine where it is.

I have been chaining Ralts, and my longest chain was about 11. What happens? It was easier with Starly. Anyway, I would like to have a Shiny Gallade, which looks quite good. I'm trying to chain Bronzors now, and they are easier to chain. Some good shiny sprites?

in spite of difficulties with snow or egg moves or sand or w/e, here is a list of things im hoping to do at one point or another:

nidoran (male or female)
growlithe
abra
zubat
ralts
budew
buizel
hoppip
drifloon
mareep
murkrow
seedot
nincada
miltank
vulpix
hoothoot
bagon
geodude
meditite
ponyta
slowpoke
tryrogue
teddiursa
starly
bronzor
gligar
machop
wooper
phanpy
swellow
grimer
houndoom
drowzee
swinub
ditto
voltorb
azurill/marill
quagsire
skorupi
croagunk
wingull
swablu
shuckle
sneasel
snover
tangela
weezing
rhyhorn
numel
beldum
venonat
ariados
scyther
lickitung
porygon

yes 55 pokemon... kill me now... but if i can knock off maybe half of this list id be thrilled.

I'm trying to get a shiny Beldum, but this damn Sandstorm doesn't let me see the grass. Anyway, with a Magnet Puller, Beldum is quite easy to chain, because I think that Beldum appears 80% of the time (40% as Swarm and the double with Magnet Pull no?). Anyway, some advice to get it better in the Sandstorm?

I posted some advice earlier in the thread, but it was advice for catching it, not chaining it. Lot's of preparation is advised for Beldum chaining. The best tips I have for chaining it are to chain in the morning (brighter screen, easier to see grassy patches), and tilt your screen away from you a little bit.

I'll be updating the list of Chainable pokes to include GBA slot exclusives shortly by the way.

Trust - I'm about to go for Beldum right now, wish me luck!!

Phizzlax - Thanks again for contributing, I really appreciate the work!

kingbattlus - The whole killing yourself thing might not be a bad idea. I'll see your crazy ass on AIM.

DrEnzyme - 3 isn't bad, nothing wrong with that. In both those cases 4 is isolated, see why that is? It's in its own quadrant both times. Plus the second one 4 is directly to the right, which is direct violation of the basic grid. Thou shalt not disobey the grid!

Diesel, you should definitely keep this here. Maybe make a guide to put in C & C, and keep the discussion in Stark Mountain.

Thankx much Diesel.

Oh, and I don't want to seem scepticle, but is there any mathematical proof behind your grid theorys? (I know they work I just want to know why/how)

Here's another one. This time, 4 has a "buddy" but it's buddy is 1. What now?

4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4
4 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 4
4 3 2 2 2 2 2 3 4
4 3 2 1 1 1 2 3 4
4 3 2 1 Y 1 2 3 4
4 3 2 1 1 1 2 3 4
4 3 2 2 2 2 2 3 4
4 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 4
4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4

So was I wrong about my chances of catching a shiny decreasing? I could keep this chain going and still catch many shinys? My DS has been left on overnight and I'm still unsure as to whether I should abandon it.

One is no good, it's not a buddy. I would avoid that formation if it's late in your chain, but not a bad patch for the early going. No mathematics that I know of, but it works, you'll just have to trust it. I don't know any other ways that don't violate the bad formations. Tell me what's not working for you. And yes you were wrong about that. It remains the same after 40, I assure you. Always keep chains going as long as possible. As semi-proof, I got a shiny at 54, then once I caught it, another shiny patch appeared right afterward.

Hmm. Cos I haven't managed to catch a shiny in ages. I caught my first one as soon as I hit 40 (literally the first time I reset the pokeradar), which was just dumb luck. Then I managed to catch the second one soon after that. The third one took a little longer to catch and then I ran into a patch with a normal Sphinx in it by accident. Now I'm on 44 and I can't seem to find anything. Oh well, I'll keep chaining and tell you what happens.

Count your repels, should be less than 1 in 20, I've been on plenty of dry spells before, I assure you, your odds are the same based on experience and that equation, don't believe otherwise.

110 resets later / 25 max repels

Dear god that was interminable!!!! OK, so after a very long dry spell, I decided to keep a record of how many times I've reset the poke-radar. Now, I'm in one of those patches where you sometimes get 4 shakies, and you sometimes get 3, so I thought this could've had an effect on the shiny rate.

Turns out I was right.

so, on the 110th reset I'm thinking "If I get to 150 and I don't have another shiny, I'm going to kill someone". And then, BAM! Out of the foliage jumps another Sphinx... In all it's Sphinxy glory.

Moral of the story: Stick with your chain and don't give up until you're dying from thirst and blood is pouring out of your thumbs.

I suppose you've just got to learn that from experience eh Diesel?

Thankx. But now I'm feeling really gutted.

Wanna know why?

I got nothing for 40 max repels... Then all of a sudden- DOUBLE BAM!!!

Two shinys in the same reset!!! WHAT ARE THE FRIGGEN ODDS!?!?!

Now I'm standing in between them, shell-shocked and horrified. I WANT THEM BOTH! No fair.

The god of pokemon has a cruel form of satire indeed.

Oh, and has anyone had a shiny patch spawn behind them and successfully caught it?

That's never happened to me before, crazy! But going that many repels between shinies isn't all too uncommon, you just have to be patient and vigilant.

Yeah. I've decided to use all my repels on this chain, that'll give me an excuse to stop. I caught about 3 or 4 more just now, giving me 8. I'm doing well.

BTW, the odds of getting two shinies in 1 reset are just over 0.000025 (I think). That's probably why it's never happened to you and why it's never ever going to happen to me again lol.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I believe that the Diamond Dust snow that occurs on Jan 12 makes chaining on Route 217 easier in the snow.

I haven't seen the Diamond Dust effect but I've heard that it's only over Snowpoint CITY not the routes outside of it. I may be wrong but that's what I've heard.

My chain just broke. I managed to get a nice round 10 Shinys out of it though. Well, that was fun... What should I do now?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)