ORAS OU Hyper Offense Throwback

Hello Smogon, I think I have something great here, but I seem to have hit a brick wall. About a year ago I got fed up with running balanced teams. I don't like using walls and utilities, especially in this meta where Megas can easily break through them. I discovered Hyper Offense and my very first team at it was very successful. Needless to say, I fell in love. I love the constant in your face never let off the gas pedal. Many teams are unprepared for it and get blown off their feet. Anyways, on to the team.

Team Explanation: The goal of this team is to put the pedal to the metal and dance the night away. Team Preview was a blessing for Hyper Offense so I use it to my full advantage. I usually look at the opponent's team and find out who has the best chance of sweeping and try to brainstorm a path at the beginning. My first step is always getting my rocks up and at all costs preventing my opponent from getting their rocks up. After that, Aerodactly usually dies and that's when the magic happens. I send out one of my sweepers/breakers and begin messing things up. It's organized chaos though, I don't just throw out a sweeper, I think about which one of my Pokes has the best chance of sweeping and I try to lure out its counters and just all around poke holes in my opponent's team. I love Hyper Offense, and would love if somebody could point me to some resources expand my game.

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

I played during fourth gen and loved this set. It catches SO many people offguard and gets up rocks an estimated 97% of the time. Its job is to get up rocks and prevent rocks at all costs. I guess you could say it's a 4th gen throwback suicide lead. People love to lead with their utilities against this thing and I constantly cripple utilities with taunt. The only Poke that gets me is the rare Espeon, and Mega Sableye. To me, it is absolutely integral that you get rocks set on a Hyper Offense team. That turns many 2 hits into to OHKOs. It also lures my opponent into wasting a turn to Rapid Spin/Defog which could be an extra DD or SD for me. I personally think this Poke is my problem and why I hit a plateau on the ladder. There is no room for a suicide lead anymore after 4th gen ended. I can't think of anything to replace it, but at the same time it has a very high success rate at doing its job so I am stumped about whether it pulls its weight.

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

This is my day one member of this team. I love DD Nite. After one DD, nite is your worst nightmare late game due to godly bulk and massive attack. Adamant because with the given Speed Evs I comfortably out speed the vast majority of the OU meta, only losing out to things with 130 base speed and up. Lum Berry because status ruins Dragonite and to the unsuspecting opponent, it could mean an extra DD for me if I predict a status move. I do not run Fire Punch for Ferro because my Volcorona loves Ferrothorn. I'm debating whether or not I should run FP though, because I generally find myself using Nite as a late game sweeper and Roost rarely extends sweeps in my experience. It's your average Nite in my opinion.

Breloom @ Lum Berry
Ability: Technician
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Swords Dance
- Spore
- Mach Punch

It's a damn shame Breloom is so slow. Even with that though, this Breloom will give you nightmares. Technician is a hell of an ability, it catches so many players off guard. After a swords dance, Mach Punch makes Scizor's BP look like a bitch slap. I love to send Breloom in on walls and cripple them with Spore. Having a wall asleep on a Hyper Offense team is a godsend. It prevents any hazards from going up, and could mean an extra DD/SD if I'm feeling greedy. The move set is pretty standard in my opinion. There's nothing strange about this Breloom. Breloom rarely sweeps because I usually use him early but he sure does poke holes in my opponent's team. Breloom is also my only answer to Weavile.

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance
- Quiver Dance
- Substitute
This was my second favorite set from my 5th gen OU experience. This thing loves to come in known staus givers and substitute then proceed to dance. Obviously she has problems with fire types, but I feel the rest of my team does not have issues with them. Talonflame is a son of a bitch for Volca because I can't do shit to it. Anyways, I usually use Volcorona to attempt a mid game sweep and strike an urgency in my opponent to make a bad play so my next sweeper can come in. My Volcorona LOVES Ferrothorn. I have never played a player that didn't attempt to use Leech Seed/switch on this thing only to meet a substitute. Not much else to say, I feel it has a hard time sweeping early game because it is walled to no end by rock and fire types. I am debating switching Substitute for HP Ground/Rock. Without the substitute though, I feel Volcorona has issues setting up due to plethora of weaknesses.

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Grass Knot
Metagross is my wallbreaker and just all around pain dealer. I think I am doing Meta wrong though. I run the Rash nature to give Grass Knot a boost because my team has issues with bulky water types. I debate this because Metagross has such an amazing base speed at 110 tying it with the likes of Latios/as Gengar etc. I'm curious as to what people think about this. I rarely use grass knot though and I am starting to think Zen Headbutt would be better because of STAB. Everything else is pretty standard in my opinion. Meta is just used as a wallbreaker and the occasional late game sweep due to its tank-like attributes.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

This is my favorite set from 4th gen. This Starmie's job is to spin away rocks and usually be a safe switch in after a KO. Boltbeam has great coverage and Surf is for STAB. Life Orb is to make Starmie a menace. You would be surprised about how much of a punch this thing packs. It catches so many players off guard. At the bottom of the ladder sometimes you can sweep with Stamie. I love this thing and it always gets the job done due to blazing speed. It usually attracts Weavile and Ferrothorn on a switch or KO. Weavile is a big problem for my team, but I love to see Ferro come in.

Conclusion: I really enjoy Hyper Offense, but sometimes I feel like my team building skills aren't good enough to do it. My prediction skills are top notch because I have been playing since 2010, but I lack in team building skills.I feel like my team lacks synergy and only wins because people are so unprepared for hyper offense. I can take this team up to 1400 on the ladder, but after that my win percentage is still decent, but never good enough to continue laddering. I would like to keep this team Hyper Offense so please don't recommend any walls or anything like that unless you can make a really good argument for it. Other than that, I really appreciate you taking the time to do this! Thanks in advanced!

If you want to try it out.
Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

Breloom @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Swords Dance
- Spore
- Mach Punch

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance
- Quiver Dance
- Substitute

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Rash Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Grass Knot

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Ehy :) good evening!
My advice is to change Zen Headbutton>Grass Knot on Metagross: Zen is the second Stab of Metagross and give you good support vs Venusaur and Amoongus that are annoying because you have only Volcarona. Bullet Punch>Ice Punch because Weavile and Diancie are a really weakness for this team.
Metagross @ Metagrossite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch/Bullet Punch

Replace Life Orb>Lum Berry on Breloom, you don't need to Lum Berry in this team and I think that Life Orb is more important in this team for 1HKO Lopunny and Excadrill by Mach Punch.
Breloom @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Swords Dance
- Spore
- Mach Punch

Roost is useless in this team, I think that Extreme Speed>Roost on Dragonite is better, because give you a more important priority (1HKO Talonflame after 2 Dragon Dance)
Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake

Nature Cure on Offensive Starmie is useless, I think that Analytic>Nature cure and Hydro Pump>Surf is a better option and really help your team against more weakness, specifically Analytic give you a more important offensive presences that help your dragonite sweep's . Hidden Power fire>Ice Beam is other good option that really help your team specifically Dragonite.
Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power Fire/Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Manectric destroy this team, and Bulky Water/Pinsir Talonflame and Tornadus are really annoying. I think that Raikou is a good option for this team because give you a momentum with volt-Swich and help you vs this weakness.
Raikou @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Speed
Timid Nature
- Volt Swich
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Signal Beam

Aerodactily is a good pokemon, other Viable Option is Garchomp>Aerodactily: Garchomp help you vs Scizor and Ferrothorn that is a problem of the team. Lum Berry help you against Sablaye that is a really problem for the team. Other good option is Heatran Solar Beam>Garchomp that help you vs Rotom,Quagsire,Sablaye, stall (that is a really problem for your team) and Charizard X that after 1 DD destroy yoour team really Ez, but perhaps he would no longer be an Hyper Offense but an Offensive.
Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock

Or

Heatran @ Power Herb
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Solar Beam

Hope help you and gl with this team! :)

Last edited:
Ehy :) good evening!
My advice is to change Zen Headbutton>Grass Knot on Metagross: Zen is the second Stab of Metagross and give you good support vs Venusaur and Amoongus that are annoying because you have only Volcarona. Bullet Punch>Ice Punch because Weavile and Diancie are a really weakness for this team.
Metagross @ Metagrossite
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch/Bullet Punch

Replace Life Orb>Lum Berry on Breloom, you don't need to Lum Berry in this team and I think that Life Orb is more important in this team for 1HKO Lopunny and Excadrill by Mach Punch.
Breloom @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Swords Dance
- Spore
- Mach Punch

Roost is useless in this team, I think that Extreme Speed>Roost on Dragonite is better, because give you a more important priority (1HKO Talonflame after 2 Dragon Dance)
Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake

Nature Cure on Offensive Starmie is useless, I think that Analytic>Nature cure and Hydro Pump>Surf is a better option and really help your team against more weakness, specifically Analytic give you a more important offensive presences that help your dragonite sweep's . Hidden Power fire>Ice Beam is other good option that really help your team specifically Dragonite.
Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power Fire/Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Manectric destroy this team, and Bulky Water/Pinsir Talonflame and Tornadus are really annoying. I think that Raikou is a good option for this team because give you a momentum with volt-Swich and help you vs this weakness.
Raikou @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Speed
Timid Nature
- Volt Swich
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Signal Beam

Other Viable Option is Garchomp>Aerodactily: Garchomp help you vs Scizor and Ferrothorn that is a problem of the team. Lum Berry help you against Sablaye that is a really problem for the team. Other good option is Heatran Solar Beam>Garchomp that help you vs Rotom,Quagsire,Sablaye, stall (that is a really problem for your team) and Charizard X that after 1 DD destroy yoour team really Ez, but perhaps he would no longer be an Hyper Offense but an Offensive.
Garchomp @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Stealth Rock

Or

Heatran @ Power Herb
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Solar Beam

Hope help you and gl with this team! :)
I really appreciate the rate! You bring up a lot of good points. I am going to try these out!

Sun

Who cares if one more light goes out? Well I do...
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
yo
Nice HO, I really like the idea of using Aerodactyl as lead :)
The biggest threat I see is weavile
, this pokemon outspeed a most of your pokemon, doing heavy damage to them, then I suggest you use Tailwind>earthquake on aerodactyl
.Tailwind helps to outspeed threats like mega lopunny, Weavile, Tornadus-Therian, mega Manectric.

Noting the team, I saw that it has no revenue of fast electric as Thund, raikou and Mmane, then I suggest using Kyurem-black>dragonite, it has a very good coverage, uses well Tailwind making it very dangerous against Offense.
You can use different sets Kyurem, you can Put hp fire to beat Ferrothorn, Scizor, or you can put them roost for better counter Raikou, Thundurus, and Mane.also is a great stallbreaker.

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 56 Atk / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Mild Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Fire]/Roost
Vs Ferrothorn

252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 270-322 (76.7 - 91.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Vs scizor

252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 176 SpD Mega Scizor: 296-354 (86.2 - 103.2%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

I suggest using Focus sash+Rock Tomb>Lum+SD on Breloom
, having noticed a slight weakness in beating bulk up talonflame, it helps also to beat Tornadus Therian.
Another option is to use Focus Punch+LO>Lum+SD, hit really hard in the switch Ferrothorn.

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Rock Tomb
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
Calcs:
Vs talonflame

252 Atk Technician Breloom Rock Tomb vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 520-616 (144.8 - 171.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Vs Tornadus-therian

252 Atk Technician Breloom Rock Tomb vs. 96 HP / 0- Def Tornadus-T: 264-312 (81.7 - 96.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

If you want use the Focus punch version..
Breloom @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Focus Punch
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed

some calcs:
252 Atk Life Orb Breloom Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 429-507 (121.8 - 144%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Breloom Focus Punch vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 608-717 (157.9 - 186.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Breloom Focus Punch vs. 96 HP / 0- Def Tornadus-T: 214-252 (66.2 - 78%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Finally, I suggest you use Pursuit>earthquake and Zen Headbutt>ice punch of mega gross, helps you trap latios, that hurts the team, zen headbutt help you vs mega venu,keld,mega lop.

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Rash Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Pursuit
- Zen headbutt
- Grass Knot/ice punch

and finally as he said astral, put Hydro Pump>Surf on Starmie
, and you might consider using Psychic or Hp Fire>ice beam,this moves can help your team against ferro(if u using hp fire,and ve mega venu,amoonguss if u use Psychic :)

hope ive help you and GL with the team :)

Last edited:
Just a matter of opinion but if you're going to run lum berry on dd dragonite would it not be better to run outrage?

Love the throwback idea though☺

yo
Nice HO, I really like the idea of using Aerodactyl as lead :)
The biggest threat I see is weavile
, this pokemon outspeed a most of your pokemon, doing heavy damage to them, then I suggest you use Tailwind>earthquake on aerodactyl
.Tailwind helps to outspeed threats like mega lopunny, Weavile, Tornadus-Therian, mega Manectric.

Noting the team, I saw that it has no revenue of fast electric as Thund, raikou and Mmane, then I suggest using Kyurem-black>dragonite, it has a very good coverage, uses well Tailwind making it very dangerous against Offense.
You can use different sets Kyurem, you can Put hp fire to beat Ferrothorn, Scizor, or you can put them roost for better counter Raikou, Thundurus, and Mane.also is a great stallbreaker.

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 56 Atk / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Mild Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Fire]/Roost
Vs Ferrothorn

252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 270-322 (76.7 - 91.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Vs scizor

252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 176 SpD Mega Scizor: 296-354 (86.2 - 103.2%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

I suggest using Focus sash+Rock Tomb>Lum+SD on Breloom
, having noticed a slight weakness in beating bulk up talonflame, it helps also to beat Tornadus Therian.
Another option is to use Focus Punch+LO>Lum+SD, hit really hard in the switch Ferrothorn.

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Rock Tomb
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
Calcs:
Vs talonflame

252 Atk Technician Breloom Rock Tomb vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 520-616 (144.8 - 171.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Vs Tornadus-therian

252 Atk Technician Breloom Rock Tomb vs. 96 HP / 0- Def Tornadus-T: 264-312 (81.7 - 96.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

If you want use the Focus punch version..
Breloom @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Focus Punch
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed

some calcs:
252 Atk Life Orb Breloom Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 429-507 (121.8 - 144%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Breloom Focus Punch vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 608-717 (157.9 - 186.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Breloom Focus Punch vs. 96 HP / 0- Def Tornadus-T: 214-252 (66.2 - 78%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Finally, I suggest you use Pursuit>earthquake and Zen Headbutt>ice punch of mega gross, helps you trap latios, that hurts the team, zen headbutt help you vs mega venu,keld,mega lop.

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Rash Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Pursuit
- Zen headbutt
- Grass Knot/ice punch

and finally as he said astral, put Hydro Pump>Surf on Starmie
, and you might consider using Psychic or Hp Fire>ice beam,this moves can help your team against ferro(if u using hp fire,and ve mega venu,amoonguss if u use Psychic :)

hope ive help you and GL with the team :)
Thanks for the review! I will definitely consider your ideas! I've been on a roll and when things get rough I'll switch in some of your ideas.

Just a matter of opinion but if you're going to run lum berry on dd dragonite would it not be better to run outrage?

Love the throwback idea though☺
Wow, that's something that never even crossed my mind. The main thing I worry about is cutting a sweep short due to a fairy. To me Dragon Claw has been getting the job done, but if I feel like it's not cutting it I will switch. Thanks!

Nice Hyper Offensive squad right here. I will try to make my changes to make your team more HO.

K first I think your team should go full out HO because this is an HO team. Which means you should change roost on dragonite as that just makes you lose momentum. I recommend you change roost to extreme speed as that will give u priority to hit other pokemons before they can hit you as long as you outspeed.

Again with the team going full HO you should make your starmie analytic over natural cure to punish switches and other turns that you might move last more so you get more kills.

Another thing you should do is run zen headbutt over earthquake on metagross-mega. This team dosent like switching into poison types like venuasaur-mega and amoonguss so having ur poison immunity have a way to hit the poison types would be really nice as you cant really switch into them.

Now i see some fast threats like lopunny-mega and alakazam-mega that just threathen hyper offense in general. usually hyper offense deal with these fast mons with some way to hit those mons first before they can hit them with either a faster mon or priority. This is why I recommend you use talonflame over volcarona. Talonflame has the ability gale wing which gives all its flying type moves priorty so you can hit the lopunny-mega, weavile with a brave bird before they can hit you. This will help you better in revenge killing mons.

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Steel Wing

Changes In Short:
Extreme speed>roost
gives dragonite priorty and roost just losses mometum for this ho team
analytic > natural cure allows you to hit harder
Zen headbutt>Earthquake lets u hit posion types like ammongouss which otherwise can status something
>
allows team to revenge kill better

Reactions: Sun

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)