Jirachi

354/354--------401/401
Gengar
Salamence

262/262---------331/331

Infernape
Ambipom

294/294---------292/292

Just had to do that, no matter how weird it may be. I'm sure you've already noticed the Salamence-Jirachi combo. I tried to make a rather sweeper-ish team with minimal sacrifices (except for Forretress/Jirachi-mostly Forretress- occasionally), and manages to OHKO Pokemon even with relatively low power.

When I made this team, my plan was "glass cannony with a couple of supports." Jirachi is an obvious support, and Forretress is for the most part, too. Salamence is relatively sturdy, however, it provides some very useful typing and moveset for this team. The rest are rather fragile but can hit for some nice damage. Wait, I forgot to mention...even more so than that first idea was Spikes + Stealth Rock + Fast but light-hitting Pokemon = success.

Points of Concern (yes, I think these should come before the RMT so you know what to look for):
  • I have zero, yes, zero, Ice attacks. I'm not sure how much this matters in the case of Salamence and, to an extent, Dragonite, because of my Salamence, but Ice's valuable offensive power could be a problem (and the fact that Gliscor exists). If anything, I would need to give Gengar HP Ice, make Infernape a MixApe with a twist, or give Ambipom Ice Punch.
  • Bulky Waters can pose a problem. I generally have to switch around and get Ambipom to weaken it enough for itself or someone else to finish it off. Starmie isn't exactly a bulky Water, but it causes huge problems, too. Starmie is the entire reason I have ScarfGar. It blocks Rapid Spin, can (occasionally) take a Surf, and OHKO with Shadow Ball. Having Energy Ball on ScarfGar helps with Swampert tons, as the "Cro"Perts used to wall the living shit out of me.
  • Fucking, fucking, FUCKING stall. It deserves to be gray because it is dull (to me). With 3 Choicers I have to switch a lot, which really makes those Toxic Spikes/Spikes/Rocks hurt like hell. Even when I play incredibly well (which is uncommon) and my opponent is new to competitive battling and copied someone else's team, I'm still usually fucked.
  • I suppose you could say a lack of skill on my behalf is a problem. But you guys can't really "rate" that.
There's probably more that I can't think of right now.

+___________________________
|Forretress@Leftovers/Lum Berry
|Sturdy
|Relaxed (+Def, -Spe)
|252 HP / 232 Atk/ 24 Def
|~Spikes
|~EarthQuake
|~Gyro Ball
|~Explosion
+____________________________

I actually changed to this from Deoxys-S for the Suspect Test ladder, but in any case this guy has helped out in so many ways. Tyranitars used to seriously hurt me, but not so much anymore. It does pretty nice against lots of leads, as against stuff like Bronzong I get Spikes up. Against stuff like Gengar or Roserade, I can nail it if they miss with Hypnosis or Sleep Powder, respectively.

I also love taking on Magnezone with this guy. They always Substitute first while I EQ; then they will basically either switch or use Magnet Rise. I recognize this and just Explode so that Salamence can pick it off.

This guy gets sacrificed a lot, and while usually in the form of an Explosion, it has to take sleep. Because of that, I am considering giving it a Lum Berry, which I would prefer to not do. I also wish I could give it a fifth move in Sleep Talk.

He also is a great last line of defense against lots of stuff. It stops SD Lucario pretty cold, as it can EQ it to death pretty easily. It can come in on Gyarados with a DD, or Tyranitars for that matter. It doesn't really work as well on the special side, but I suppose it could work.

Max HP with a +Def nature and 24 EVs give it 354 HP and Defense, as it has been proven that Pokemon with closer HP and defense take a lesser percentage of damage from attacks. The rest go into Attack for giving it a little more kick.

|Jirachi@Leftovers
|Serene Grace
|Jolly (+ Spe, -SpA)
|240 HP / 56 Atk / 76 Def / 136 Spe
|~Stealth Rock
|~Body Slam
|~Wish
|~U-turn

Jirachi sets up even more entry hazards, paralyzes stuff, and Wish passes. It even has some pretty nice Speed. It does so many things to support the team.

240 HP EVs gives Jirachi 401 HP, which is a 5HKO by Night Shade/Seismic Toss. I'm not totally sure what the other EVs do, but it's the standard Wish passing set only with Jolly instead of Impish. I should probably change the EVs because of that, but oh well. I have Jolly because it outspeeds quite a few Salamences that way, allowing me to set up Stealth Rocks, paralyze it, or flee before it attacks.

Jirachi is very useful with its neat typing, moves, heck, it does excellent with this team (especially Salamence). The paralysis from Body Slam might actually be more helpful in causing my opponent to be fully paralyzed occasionally than in being much slower. I can't think of too much else to say about it.

|Gengar@Choice Scarf
|Levitate
|Timid (+ Spe, - Atk)
|4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
|~Shadow Ball
|~Focus Blast
|~Thunderbolt
|~Energy Ball

Timid ScarfGar is a great revenge killer. It's faster than max speed Deoxys-S (which once outsped me with no boosts somehow) and has a solid (read: great) special movepool and Special Attack to back it up.

This little dude deals with so many threats. Deoxys-S and Gyarados are two incredibly obvious answers, especially since I can outspeed a +1 Gyarados easily. It also is a great answer for Swampert. Other Gengars fall to it, too.

I can use Timid effectively because my opponent should be hurt by some form of entry hazard before I attack them, meaning I don't need as much power as provided by Modest. I do love that extra bit of Speed, too.

As with any Gengar, the priority attack (or...Meteor Mash or Night Slash) vs. Pursuit argument is always difficult to decide. I wind up switching most of the time, and usually get away with it. Sometimes I'll have a gut feeling when I see a Pokemon, and I'll switch anyway, and, of course, I die to Pursuit.

It works pretty nicely with Ambipom in terms of switch-ins.

+_____________________________
|Salamence@Choice Scarf
|Intimidate
|Mild (+SpA, -Def)
|60 Atk / 252 SpA / 196 Spe
|~Draco Meteor
|~Fire Blast
|~EarthQuake
|~Stone Edge
+_____________________________

Yes, another Choice Scarfer. And this time it's Salamence. ScarfGar may be common; ScarfMence is far from. I think it can be labeled as one of the many "random Scarfers."

It's a great ScarfTran and SD Lucario counter, as it can Intimidate Lucario and EQ/Fire Blast it to death. It can come in on ScarfTran's Fire Blasts and EQ it to death, too. Draco Meteor always packs a punch, considering it always has a BP of 210 since it has to have STAB. Stone Edge is kind of "What the fuck?" material, especially since a SE Stone Edge does less than a STAB Draco Meteor and since most 4x Rock weaks are considered rather unusable. However, most of the bulky Flying types have higher Special Defense than Defense (I realize this means nothing for Zapdos because more people try to buff up its Defense). I think I would find it amusing to use Thunder Fang on it over Stone Edge, though. Even though Gengar hurts Gyarados badly, Salamence can take a hit from Gyarados.

I had to have max Special Attack to get the most I could out of Draco Meteor, and that 196 Speed is for I believe outspeeding a certain Scarf Medicham (I was quite unhappy when Ice Punch raped me). The rest go into Attack for a little more bang with EarthQuake.

I do love the surprise factor that comes from ScarfMence, too. It works so incredibly well, since no ScarfTran seems to understand why Salamence is coming in on them. I can also easily make my opponent believe it's SpecsMence or some queer Expert Belt Salamence.

|Infernape@Choice Band
|Blaze
|Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
|4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
|~Close Combat
|~Flare Blitz
|~Stone Edge
|~Mach Punch

CBNape is incredibly underrated. Sure, it gets Swords Dance, but then you'd likely need a Focus Sash. With a Choice Band, its Close Combat gets the jump on those incoming Vaporeons, doing a little over 50%, certainly enough to ensure a 2HKO with Leftovers.

Close Combat was already insanely overpowered, and a Choice Band just helps to emphasize that. Even when you mispredict and use Flare Blitz on an incoming Blissey, you still do nice damage (even though you get hurt...a lot). Normally Fire Blast would do crap to Blissey.

Stone Edge is still a little weird, but, hey, it works a little better here. It does do more than a STAB Flare Blitz/Close Combat. It even does more than a NVE Flare Blitz/Close Combat (gasp).

Mach Punch is actually what drew me towards using CBNape. I realized how rampant Tyranitar and SD Lucario are, and realized that a nice Mach Punch makes short work of them both (the same is true for Weavile). Jolly CBNape's Mach Punch does at least 70% to Tyranitar (I'm to tired to run real calcs), and certainly KOs Lucario. I love bringing something like a Tyranitar with 6 DDs to the ground (like I said, I'm not a great battler).

I can afford to use a +Speed nature because of the entry hazards I will be setting up again...and that fact that it has a Choice Band. I really don't want to use U-turn on this set, as I will be locked into U-turn too frequently when I use it on Ambipom or Jirachi.

+__________________________
|Ambipom@Life Orb
|Technician
|Jolly (+ Spe, - SpA)
|4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
|~Fake Out
|~U-turn
|~Brick Break
|~Payback
+__________________________

Flinch and Flee is a great moveset, especially with the world full of so many uneducated people who still believe their Gengars are faster than an Ambipom! Fake Out is so incredibly great in tandem with Forretress' Explosion (if he somehow didn't kill something with it). U-turn is a great move in general. I also love the free ~40% to Zapdos.

Brick Break is excellent on Tyranitar, although Ambipom lacks the sheer power to use it effectively. Payback is instead much more useful. It really does take out many Gengars.

When I had Deoxys-S on this team, I thought along the lines of, "Fuck, I need a Normal type or opposing Gengars can rape me." I scrolled through OU, blablablablabla, and only found Togekiss. Togekiss didn't really fit with what I was trying to do. Then, in BL, there was mainly Porygon-Z and Ambipom. I decided Porygon-Z just wasn't what I was looking for (even with only one pure special attacker), and went with Ambipom. Had I have chosen Porygon-Z, I would've used the "Mixed Sweeper" set. I think that one looks quite interesting.

Of course, I chose the plus Speed nature instead of the plus Attack/Special Attack nature because of entry hazards.

I suppose I shall put in a threat list...at least there's one less! Garchomp!

Gengar - Well, after letting Forretress be wasted and take a nap, I can switch in my Gengar. Usually Gengar will use Focus Blast on Forretress after sending to sleep, so Gengar can come in easily and outspeed for the KO. If Gengar isn't available...well, in any case, someone has to go to sleep. Payback from Ambipom OHKOs Gengar as well, and it happens frequently. Salamence could come in on a LOGar and Draco Meteor it to hell as well. If for some reason a lead LOGar uses Focus Blast on Forretress, Gyro Ball KOs it. If it misses with Hypnosis, though, it doesn't.

Gyarados - Gengar can easily eliminate it with Thunderbolt if it can come in on a Taunt or Dragon Dance, which are the things a lead Gyarados would do first against Forretress. I can easily bring Forretress in and Explode, which usually KOs Gyarados but may not KO BulkyDos. Stone Edge from Infernape can hurt it quite badly, too, but I'd rather not keep Infernape in on Gyarados. Jirachi can also paralyze it and therefore cripple it.

Lucario - Swords Dance sets are handled by Salamence and Forretress, mainy. They can both EQ it away. Gengar can also handle non-Bullet Punch ones. Infernape's Mach Punch is great for revenge killing any Lucario, and same with Salamence's EQ or Fire Blast, really. Forretress can't be OHKOed by anything not substantially boosted or that is called Blaze Kick or HP Fire. Ambipom can sometimes pull off the KO with Brick Break. I frequently try to paralyze it with Jirachi, too.

Heatran - Salamence is great for this. He can take a Fire Blast and OHKO with EQ. Infernape can do fine against weakened ScarfTrans by picking them off with Mach Punch, but Close Combat works great against non-Scarf variants. Ambipom is also good against non-Scarf variants, and Gengars Focus Blast can hit it rather hard.

Deoxys-S - Timid ScarfGar. Shadow Ball OHKOs and I'm faster. It works excellently, and Jirachi can wall it pretty hard, too. Consistently using Fake Out from Ambipom, switching to Jirachi and then using U-turn is a good back up strategy. Gyro Ball from Forretress hurts the lead versions as they always Taunt first. Jirachi can really mess it up with paralysis, as well.

Metagross - They frequently come in on Gengar, and I have to make a decision whether to switch or not. In any case, Forretress' EarthQuakes hurt them a little less than Metagross' Explosions do to Forretress. Infernape can make short work of one with Flare Blitz, and same with Salamence's Fire Blast. Salamence doesn't take CB Bullet Punches too well, though.

Tyranitar - If it hasn't had its Speed boosted, a Brick Break from Ambipom can hurt it pretty badly at the cost of Ambipom's life usually. Jirachi and Ambipom's U-turn hurt it pretty bad, as well. Infernape is great against it, with Close Combat KOing slower versions and Mach Punch taking care of DD versions. Forretress walls it pretty well except when they have Flamethrower/Fire Blast, and EarthQuake hits it decently hard. Gyro Ball hits Tyranitars that have already DDed even harder.

Salamence - My Salamence is great against these because my Salamence is going to generally be the fastest you will see one. When Draco Meteor hits (like its supposed to -.-), the other Salamence is certainly gone. Fake Outs from Ambipom weaken them considerably, and Salamences have taken Explosions from Forretress before as well. Jirachi can outspeed many of them and paralyze them with Body Slam.

Infernape - Ambipom can really weaken them with Fake Out. Jirachi can paralyze them with Body Slam, which messes them up pretty bad. An EQ from Salamence easily knocks them down, as Salamence outspeeds most and resists Infernape's STAB as well as Grass Knot.

Starmie - U-turn is such an excellent move against it. Ambipom can really hurt a Starmie with Fake Out and U-turn, and Jirachi isn't hurt too bad by any of Starmie's attacks. Gengar, however, blocks Rapid Spin and can easily OHKO with Shadow Ball. It also outspeeds Starmie.

Celebi - Once again, Ambipom can shine against Celebi. U-turns from both Jirachi and Ambipom hit it where it hurts. A well aimed Flare Blitz can make short work of it, as well as Gengar's Shadow Ball. Salamence's Fire Blast nails it, too.

Gliscor - If I've weakened it a bit, Salamence can KO it quickly with Draco Meteor. The most reliable method would be to have Salamence attack it with Fire Blast, or possibly have Gengar use Shadow Ball on it. Explosion from Forretress works quite well, since Gliscor can hardly do anything to Forretress.

Azelf - Gengar takes care of this guy real easily with Shadow Ball. Fake Outs and U-turns add up on this dude, too. Gyro Balls from Forretress do a significant amount of damage as well.

Swampert - Used to be impossible to take out. If Gengar's already KOed, then it is impossible pretty much. Gengar pretty much has to Energy Ball it for it to be KOed, unless it's switched into a couple of layers of Spikes and rocks more than one time and Salamence happens to use a full power Draco Meteor.

Weavile - Infernape + Choice Band + Mach Punch = Dead Weavile. Fake Outs hurt it pretty bad, as do Gyro Balls. That shaky Focus Blast also makes short work of it. If it gets paralyzed by Jirachi it's more of just a burden to the other team.

Heracross - I suppose I would approach a Heracross with Salamence, and attack it with Fire Blast. I suppose Infernape could do fine against non-Scarf variants, but I have to avoid paralyzing it with Jirachi.

Magnezone - It only really "traps" Forretress, who gets out of it by EQing one Sub and then blowing itself up. Jirachi can escape with U-turn, and so Salamence is a great option when not switching into a HP Ice. Infernape is very threatening to it as well.

Snorlax - I have to figure out some way to get in Infernape. And fast. Nothing else can really handle it that well.

Scizor - Forretress has got those Baton Passers figured out. After laying his Spikes, he'll blow up as Scizor Baton Passes...or right before, letting a priority attack or Scarfer finish it off. Salamence does very well against Scizor, as does Infernape. I truly enjoy paralyzing a Pokemon that just received an Agility from Scizor with Jirachi.

Suicune - I get sick of Suicune quickly. If it somehow hasn't used Calm Mind yet, I can Thunderbolt it with Gengar for some damage. Infernape gets the main duty of getting rid of Suicune with its CB STAB Close Combats. Forretress can do it well too by merely Exploding.

Mamoswine - Forretress, mainly. Gyro Ball stings on Mamoswine. Even if it takes neutral damage from Stone Edge, it's just about as good a counter to Mamoswine as Bronzong is.

Jirachi - Salamence would generally come in and use either EQ or Fire Blast. Infernape can really nail it, too, and many Jirachis nowadays don't enjoy being paralyzed. Forretress hits it pretty hard as well.

Togekiss - Salamence can use Stone Edge, as can Infernape. Gengar hits it pretty hard with Thunderbolt, too. Fake Outs can damage Togekiss for quite a bit as well. I especially enjoy Exploding on Nasty Plot Togekiss.

Yanmega - I hate Yanmega. So much. It gives me serious problems. Frequently I have to resort to paralyzing it with Jirachi after letting Forretress sleep, but now I am formulating a plan of letting Jirachi sleep and having Forretress Gyro Ball.

Electivire - ScarfMence is great against this guy. EarthQuake really destroys it, whether from Forretress or ScarfMence or probably a Bastiodon.

Dragonite - Salamence just plain destroys it with Scarf Draco Meteor. It really gets that simple. Otherwise I have to try to paralyze it with Jirachi and just use some little shots at it as Fake Out doesn't work as well on Dragonite because of Inner Focus.

Spiritomb - This is another Pokemon that drives me crazy. I generally try and just weaken it in whatever way I can, but Infernape does well with Flare Blitz.

Breloom - I let Forretress take the sleep, then bring in Salamence to Intimidate, take a Focus Punch, and Fire Blast.

Gallade - Gengar destroys this guy with Shadow Ball, too. Salamence can pound it with Draco Meteor, as well, and if worst comes to worst I can let it be incredibly fast while using Fake Out over and over.

Jolteon - Salamence is basically the answer. Forretress knocks the shit out of it as well, and Jirachi can paralyze it which really screws it over.

Blissey - Infernape has gotta come in to take her down. It's about that simple. It really gets tough when it starts switching around and using Wish/Protect.

Bronzong - Forretress has to take the sleep, usually. Infernape or Salamence can then come in to melt it.

Cresselia - I have to weaken it somehow, enough so that Gengar can KO it with Shadow Ball. It's very annoying as well.

Dugtrio - It obviously depends who's in. Forretress will Gyro Ball unless a switch to Heatran is obvious, Jirachi will U-turn, Gengar will switch, Salamence will Draco Meteor, Infernape will Mach Punch, and Ambipom will Flinch and Flee.

Dusknoir - Another annoying bastard. I basically have to the exact same I do to Cresselia, except know I can't really utilize Fake Out and U-turn.

Forretress - My Salamence and Infernape can both take it out obviously. I have Exploded on other Forretress before, though.

Hippowdon - I enjoy Exploding on these, Faking them Out, Draco Meteoring them, most anything. They just seem to sit there as targets...except for Infernape. He doesn't like them.

Machamp - Another very annoying Pokemon. Frequently I just have to try and be smart with Gengar, and get it weak enough to be picked off by Draco Meteor or Close Combat. Or Explosion.

Roserade - Gyro Ball with Forretress, or at least try. If I don't die by HP Fire or get put to sleep then I have broken the Sash and really hurt the Roserade. Then I go to either Gengar or Salamence, or use Fake Out.

Skarmory - CB Flare Blitz still hits this guy pretty hard. Fire Blast from Salamence and Thunderbolt from Gengar nail it, too.

Tentacruel - I just kind of go and try to EQ it to death, simply.

Vaporeon - CBNape can actually beat a switching in Vaporeon, who might expect to be 3HKOed by Close Combat while the CB makes it a 2HKO. Ambipom does fine against it, and Forretress can blow up on it.

Zapdos - Zapdos can be quite frightening. Stone Edge from Infernape might be my best option, but Draco Meteor and Explosion work well, too.

And...that would be the team. The threats list isn't really in any order.

Anyway, this was really my first team that had some thought put into it, and I hope it showed.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
To be honest, there isn't a lot of wall-breaking potential here. Three Choicers, two of which are Scarfed, and Ambipom slowly killing himself is just asking to be stalled to death (and not having Rapid Spin on Forry adds to the problems so I'd consider that...also his EVs are really quite poor. Forry isn't an attacker; 252 HP / 162 Atk / 96 Def is your standard spread or you can go for the more Special Defensive Sassy 252 HP / 36 Def / 220 SpD).

Switching your CBApe to a standard MixApe seems like a good start. Flamethrower/CC/GK/HP Ice will help to break down the stall somewhat as it does well against common walls and also gives you that much needed Ice attack and a little extra coverage against certain Bulky Waters that seem to threaten this team (namely Swampert...now you can slap HP Ice on Gengar to revenge kill DDMences or Hypnosis and bump him up to lead). Now that you've lost Mach Punch, it might be worth looking into a bulky DDMence of your own over your current ScarfMence to help deal with Lucario and Heracross as well as posing a good sweeping threat, which you really lack atm.

This team can only hope to revenge kill opposing MixApe and DDGyara's and every single member of your team is OHKO'd by standard Scarfed Heatran so Vaporeon seems like a decent choice over Jirachi, but it would cost you your Spikes support over on Forry.

true, you can lay down a lot of entry hazards to weaken and then pick them off with the rest of your team. but the employment of too many choicers means that you yourself die to entry hazards.

getting a rapid spinner in might be a good start. and yes i agree that a mixape is going to fare better than a CB one in your team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)