Strategy & Metagame Idea: Metagame and Nationality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi staff ^^

this article idea goes more into direction of VGC-coverage, but in the last few edition a few articles about that format found their way in, so why not my idea too?
one thing i always noticed, is the constant "respect" (or lets call it "fear") US and European players have for "the japanese" playstyle, or the attribution of a special "skill", a different style of playing, and so on.

but is there any truth behind it? Where is the line between cultural assumptions and hardcore facts like usage stats?

as a cultural anthropologist and pokemon player, i thought it could be a nice idea to write an article in the smog if you are interested?

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Interesting idea! Could you maybe like write out the headers or something along those lines, so we can see what direction you're taking?

Sure can do :) But as with most articles, this is very very basic

1. Status Quo in the heads - The Invincible Japanese. Quotes from various discussion-threads about the "different" japanese playstyle. Like as with the "International Challenge May", where there where loads of talks like "I played against this japanese with this completely different set"
2. Status Quo in reality. This would be based on numbers (international win/loss ratio, players, usage-stats"
3. "Expert talk" with some players who are actually involved in japanese and "other" leagues, like Wolfey who is reporting rom his site (eggyemporium) about japanese games (i think also 13yoshi37, the winner of the german nationals has some knowledge there) and of course talk with some japanese players.
4. A cultural-anthropology based abstract, about how this view of "the japanese" was made after world war 2 with writers like Ruth Benedict (The Chrysanthemum and the Sword: Patterns of Japanese Culture) and how this kind of mindset made their way into japanese people and people worldwide...

well if this would be of interest i would like to contribute?

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
For 1 could you link the threads right now? It's just I never thought of this as something that'd affect smogon but after seeing them I'll be cool :)

For sure. But i have to say again, as smogon's focus is not on vgc, there is not that much, but there are some. F.E http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/2014-april-friendly.3503002/page-5, http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/vgc-tcg-tournaments-cancelled-in-japan.102528/ or here http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...iscussion-thread.3491754/page-19#post-5453180

cant search much more because i am on mobile phone, but this is the stuff i mean. i hope you not meant i was refering to some racist crap or something. its just this mindset that playing against japanese players is a different experience.

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
Hm, I'd say it's interesting enough to write about. I approve this.

Thanks for your interest in writing for The Smog! We'll work on getting you access to Article Workshop as soon as possible. You can discuss the progress of your article(s) on #thesmog (on synirc) with other writers, however keep in mind this is the only place you can discuss your article(s). The channel name is also secret too, so keep that low key! If you have any questions, feel free to PM any of The Smog Staff, otherwise enjoy your time writing for the webzine. :)

Toast++ you know what to do.

I gave him access.

From what I've seen, a lot of the perceived difference is that American / European players use Smogon / Showdown / Nugget Bridge to try new sets and battle each other, so a general metagame develops. I'm not sure how true it is, but a lot of VGCers say the Japanese tend to practice with their friends and not share their sets, so a more varied metagame develops over there. This cultural difference makes it harder for both to prepare for each other.

You'd probably have to look more into it, but that's what I've heard about it, at least~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)