I'm in a slump help pl0x

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, so I've been playing VGC 11 and I'm in a slump. I haven't been able to come up with a good team in months, and I need help. This is the most recent (kinda) successful team for me. Rates are appreciated, if you don't know what VGC is go away.

THE TEAM:

Tornadus @ Flight Gem
Prankster
Jolly
252 Atk/252 Spe/6 HP
Tailwind
Taunt
Protect
Acrobatics

My Tailwind set up. (weird I know, I usually am a TR guy) Taunt to stop other TW and Protect to stall TR, block Fake Out, or letting my partner KO a potentially dangerous threat. Acrobatics accompanied by Flight Gem provides a strong STAB attack that continues to be strong after Flight Gem has been used. My main problem with this is it gets immediately KO'd oftentimes after it sets up Tailwind. I'd like to know how much to invest in HP to survive a Terrakion Rock Slide, if I can.

Scrafty @ Focus Sash
Moxie
Jolly
252 Atk/252 Spe/6 HP
Dragon Dance
Ice Punch
Crunch
Drain Punch

FOCUS SASH LOLWUT.
No, seriously, it's great because of Scrafty's weaknesses to both Fighting and Flying, and common leads carry those moves. (Tornadus, Archeops, Conkledurr, Terrakion) Dragon Dance I'm willing to change, while I've been able to sweep teams at +1 Atk +3 Spe (Tailwind), I've also yearned for Fake Out/Detect many many times. I can't decide on that. Ice Punch gets Whimsicott, dragons, and genies. Crunch is STAB and hits Reuniclus, Musharna, and Jellicent quite hard. Drain Punch is my main STAB move and gets Terrakion, other Scrafty's, and just deals damage.

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
Prankster
Modest
248 SpA/206 Spe/56 HP
Substitute
Thunderbolt
Hidden Power (Flying 70)
Grass Knot

The EV spread might seem a little wack, but I wanted some HP and I had a 30 IV in SpA (for HP Flying), so I put it in Spe. Sitrus Berry is because Rock Slides usually don't OHKO and I can get more health, Substitute blocks Spores and helps for dodging Sucker Punches. Thunderbolt is STAB, hits Jellicent and Tornadus really hard. HP Flying 70 is other STAB, I chose it over Ice because I get STAB and I can hit Fighting and Grass types. Grass Knot gets random Gigalith's and Seismitoad.

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Guts
Adamant
252 HP/252 Atk/6 Spe
Mach Punch
Protect
Payback
Rock Slide

This is my TR "counter," it's slow enough to survive in TR but fast enough to outspeed things in Tailwind. Flame Orb nabs it a Guts boost, making it's attacks very powerful. Mach Punch for STAB, and allowing it to move first no matter the condition. (i.e., TR, TR, etc) Protect lets it stall out Trick Room or let its Flame Orb activate. Payback hits most TR users very hard and Rock Slide gets flying types who want to use SE moves against it.

Well, that's my team! Rate/hate/steal as you please. (mods if this doesn't have enough depth please let me know and I'll try and lengthen it)

I don't think that moxie and dragon dance are that neccesary on scarfty. You already get a speed boost with tailwind. A +2 speed is already a lot, but I can see that it won't outspeed others in tailwind so its debatable. I would choose shed skin over that for amoongus and those random will-o-wisps. Most teams that have trick room will be able to set it up because either the anger powder will get amoongus taunted or a mental herb will make taunt useless. If you acrobat amoongus than scarfty is most likely left to deal with chandlure, musharna, or jellicent which it can not KO. Tr shandera carries sash and the others are bulky enough to survive almost anything. Instead of dragon dance, bulk up would be better. It gives it the +1 attack without having to faint anything and some added defense to help it live longer in tr which will most likely be set up.

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I don't think that moxie and dragon dance are that neccesary on scarfty. You already get a speed boost with tailwind. A +2 speed is already a lot, but I can see that it won't outspeed others in tailwind so its debatable. I would choose shed skin over that for amoongus and those random will-o-wisps. Most teams that have trick room will be able to set it up because either the anger powder will get amoongus taunted or a mental herb will make taunt useless. If you acrobat amoongus than scarfty is most likely left to deal with chandlure, musharna, or jellicent which it can not KO. Tr shandera carries sash and the others are bulky enough to survive almost anything. Instead of dragon dance, bulk up would be better. It gives it the +1 attack without having to faint anything and some added defense to help it live longer in tr which will most likely be set up.
That's one of the things I won't budge on. I don't always use DD, I guess I wasn't clear on that, oftentimes I straight up attack. And I've been using Scrafty (then known as Zuruzukin :P) since the rules came out. I've made my decision on the ability.

Ok team rate.

Overall good but I am stumped on the Scrafty. This guy just doesn't work for me. I like the idea for Thundurus as a lead support. On Thundurus can't it learn Air Slash/Hurricane? That could be a good choice over Hp Flying. Also on Conkeldurr I don't get it. Guts boosts attack during stat changes but doesn't burn lower it making it like nothing is on it? I am just shakey on that effect item combo so I am curious.

Otherwise pretty good.

If he learned any decent Flying moves he wouldn't need HP Flying. As it happens, the only Flying moves he can learn at all are Fly (the HM) and Sky Drop (which is banned). You can check Serebii for moveset questions whenever you're unsure.

Also, Guts negates the 50% ATK reduction from Burn.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)