In-Game Tier List Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
for those who have picked up victini, the thing is a Beast. Im grinding it out to match the rest of my team right now, and man is it ever good.

team:

victini (19)
Sawk (20)
herdier(20)
dewott(21)

any glaring weaknesses?

I have decided to go with Timburr over Scrafty unless any of you can convince me otherwise ;). I agree with Kefka about Pansear, he is absolutely shocking! Munna seems to be popular, I agree that it is good, but I just don't like its looks.

^ No need to grind this gen. New exp system is a win!

I'd maybe add something with a bit of bulk, if your looking for something different, I think Dwebble would fit in your team. (Its the hermit crab that lives in the desert.

Golurk can learn Fly

L
O
L

Still not good for in-game, but there's an option for it.

Where do you guys think Zoroark would place on the tier list?

Only one? Well, say goodbye you horrible, horrible fire monkey.
I just caught a Darumaka to replace him and I also caught a Scraggy(lets hope it's Moxie, since it's in the PC).

Where's a good place to train before the 3rd Gym?

EDIT: The Scraggy has Shed Skin...and he's Jolly x_x
My Oshawott was also Jolly...

@Kefka, have you battled through the building full of office workers? Its at the front of Castelia city. I got a jolly Scraggy with Moxie and im using Timburr instead -_-

@Kefka, have you battled through the building full of office workers? Its at the front of Castelia city. I got a jolly Scraggy with Moxie and im using Timburr instead -_-
I'm fighting there right now, and my Timburr just evolved into Gurrdurr.
He just OHKOs everything with Wake-Up Slap lol.

I'm thinking of just getting a Moxie Sandile instead. Gurrdurr seems like the better Fighting type for now.
Throh is just a pain to catch T_T
10 Great Balls + 1 HP + Sleep = They all failed.

Yeah, Throh was a pain to catch. However he ace'd the 2nd gym. Thanks for the verdict on the fighting types, maybe Ill use Scraggy post E4. The trade pokemon you get all have excellent natures and abilities. Modest Cottonee with Prankster. Yes please! Also you can get an Adamant Basculin with rock head in white, that doesnt sound like a bad deal for a Minccino.

Also my Timburr is Jolly, I guess im lucky with natures huh?

Wish me luck for the 3rd gym :).

Wow, this is just ridiculous.

Was fighting a Trubbish and my Darumaka's Fire Fang missed FIVE times in a row and I got flinched 3 times as well. Freakin ridiculous.

Just reached the Elite Four, with a team of Serperior/Zebstrika/Sigilyph/Joltik/Ferrothorn/Chandelure, in the order that I caught them. Will be reporting soon on how they all did!
My friend I've been playing through the game with is at the same point, and she's raising a Deino. I'll have to report on how that went, too; from what I've heard so far, she said that it comes with some brilliant moves, and she got it up to Level 42 by the time she'd finished Victory Road.

Just beaten the E4. Here is my post-E4 analysis on the 6 I used, from Least to Most used.

Chandelure
Chandelure's typing just doesn't suit it too well for the E4, and while useful against Caitlinn...I had someone else cleaning her up.
Scolipede
Had him initially poised to take down the Dark guy but then Bisharp said lolno. He didn't do bad at all though, and was good to have as a backup plan for Psychic.
Serperior
Once Sigilyph went down (Friggin Stone Edge), he outstalled the Fighting guy by Coiling. It. Just. Won't. Die.
Sigilyph
Took on the fighting dude and would've won if not for Stone Edge. Does his job adequately, even this late in the game.
Cobaluon
That Dark dude? -plays MC Hammer. Can't touch this.-
Zoroark
Rips through the ghost one, and didn't even concede a single hit from Caitlynn. Awesome.

I just got my English version of Pokémon White.

After playing the Japanese version with Oshawott the whole way, I decided to give Pokabu a try, instead.

And HOLY HELL, it's a LOT better than Oshawott. Oshawott was great too, but he's nothing compared to Pokabu.

I mean, I'm only at the third gym so far, but it's proving to be extremely useful... Especially considering that it's got moves all over the type chart, where Oshawott was stuck with Surf, Megahorn, and Revenge.

I just wish there were more Water-types in this generation. ):

-Zane

My White has been very friendly with natures for me so far. Adamant Timburr, Archen, and Daramaka so far. And I figure I'll just go ahead and jump on the ugly little zen-fire monkey bandwagon and say that Adamant Hustle Firepunch wrecks just about anything!

After playing the Japanese version with Oshawott the whole way, I decided to give Pokabu a try, instead.

And HOLY HELL, it's a LOT better than Oshawott. Oshawott was great too, but he's nothing compared to Pokabu.

I mean, I'm only at the third gym so far, but it's proving to be extremely useful... Especially considering that it's got moves all over the type chart, where Oshawott was stuck with Surf, Megahorn, and Revenge.
I fail to see how being "stuck" with Surf is a bad thing. Water is only resisted by grass and water (and also dragon, although that hardly matters), and you have X-scissor to deal with the grass types and Grass Knot for waters. Moreover, you don't need to cover the whole chart to deal damage; there's more to damage output than type effectiveness. I'll take a STAB Surf over a SE Arm Thrust.

I had the opposite experience as you with regards to Tepig/Oshawott. To me, Tepig just felt like a weaker version of Darumaka the entire game. He's got type coverage, but not a lot of power behind his attacks. For most of the game, Flame Charge is your most powerful fire attack, and Arm Thrust is the only fighting attack you'll learn unless you decide to use a heart scale to teach your Emboar Hammer Arm. It reminded me very much of Charizard's "ember rut" in RBY, where I was left without STABs for most of the game. Grass Knot wasn't nearly as useful as I thought it would be (a lot of the Pokemon that I needed it for weren't heavy enough for it to be an OHKO most of the time) and Heat Crash similarly suffers from consistency issues. Rock Tomb is bad for a number of reasons (very low power, mediocre accuracy) but it's Emboar's only check to flying types, really.

I thought that Tepig would have a statistical advantage over Oshawott, but as it turns out, Oshawott's attack stats are actually better than Tepig's. (63/45 for Oshawott versus 55/63 for Tepig.) Pignite does arguably have a slight advantage due to having stats weighted more toward the physical side (Pignite 93/70, Dewott 75/83) but in the end I found that Pignite's better attack stat was not enough to make up for his relatively weak moves. In terms of raw damage output, the two are probably roughly tied, and a fire type has to do much better than that to topple a water type, especially when it sports the fighting type (which I found to be more of a hindrance than a help due to the prevalence of psychic and flying Pokemon). From a defensive perspective, fire/fighting is one of the worst possible types for in-game purposes, while water is probably one of the best.

Just beat the elite 4; thought I would give my reviews on the pokemon I used:

Samurott - Solid. Never really let me down, great mixed offense and always has a solid stab through the game from shell blade to scald to surf. Coverage is good, and his priority move comes in SO useful on a team which doesn't have any other priority. Overall, very pleased.

Zebstrika - Nowhere near as bad as everyone gives her credit for. At this point in the game I run thunderbolt for spamming, wild charge for power. Nitro charge provides some good coverage up until the middle portion of the game. It's nice to have a pokemon you can rely on to outspeed stuff and hit pretty hard. Also her design and cry are badass.

Krookodile - Honestly this thing is amazing. Crunch with Bulldoze/Dig and Rock Slide is delicious, and Moxie is awesome in-game. Single handedly dealt with the last gym using neutral moves. His speed has never been an issue for me, as has been reported.

Zoroark - The CPU loves to do stupid stuff with illusion. Caitlin used Psychic on it and it made me happy. Even without illusion you get a really great, fast mixed sweeper with lots of tm access. Really looking forward to Nasty Plot and Night Daze. The most used member of my team, and at the highest level.

Rufflet - I understand why this is low tier. But I love him. Can't wait for Braviary, but this is a labour of love, I don't recommend it unless you really want him. He did 2hko Grimsley's Scrafty though, which shocked me. Shame the fighting elite 4 member's pokemon all have a rock move :/.

Chanderlure - Ridiculously powerful, and surprisingly good at taking special hits. As for previous discussion he isn't that difficult to raise up considering that end result, read: the highest non-uber special attack in the game. Also I love normal and fighting resistances, especially with two dark types. Looking forward to a stronger fire stab very much.

(Simisear - This little buddy got replaced by Chanderlure. He did well, but around the 7th badge he starts to really drag his ass; he doesn't have the special attack to be ok with Flame Burst as his best stab. Annoying defeat after annoying defeat I boxed him away and thanked him for his services, replacing him with the far more competitive Chanderlure. However early game this thing is pro. Between evolution and the 5th badge he is amazing, but it seems like everyone here likes to replace him after a while.)

Loving my team. Time for the endgame.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'm only up to the fourth gym, but Throh has pretty much wrecked everything so far. It basically OHKOs everything that doesn't resist Fighting.

Judging by a quick look at this tier list I have determined the theoretically best possible in-game team (semi-requires White version if you want the plant):
Mijumaru (Starter)
Yooteri (Dog at Beginning)
Moguryuu (Swirling Dirt in Wellspring Cave)
Dageki (Blue Guy outside Forest)
Churine (Forest? White Version Only)
Shinborra (Desert Resort)

Darumakka (Route 4, Desert Resort) Switch with dog, plant or blue guy?
Meguroko (Route 4, Desert Resort, Relic Castle) Switch with mole, plant or blue guy?

Humorously, you can complete it with by Desert Resort. O.o
Switch Darumakka for dog. Don't use Sandile(meguroko). He is outclassed by Excadrill

Ok, this is fucking ridiculous. I just caught Deerling and Klink on Route 6/Chargestone, and I'm now trying to grind them to help them catch up. I've been doing so outside the Cold Storage. At least 20 minutes I've been there, and not a single patch of shaking grass. I WANT AN AUDINO, DAMN IT! MUST! ABUSE! LUCKY EGG!

Seriously, any tips for getting shaking grass patches to appear?

Ok, this is fucking ridiculous. I just caught Deerling and Klink on Route 6/Chargestone, and I'm now trying to grind them to help them catch up. I've been doing so outside the Cold Storage. At least 20 minutes I've been there, and not a single patch of shaking grass. I WANT AN AUDINO, DAMN IT! MUST! ABUSE! LUCKY EGG!

Seriously, any tips for getting shaking grass patches to appear?
Walk near large grass fields. When you see a shaking patch, use a repel, go there and voilà

I fail to see how being "stuck" with Surf is a bad thing. Water is only resisted by grass and water (and also dragon, although that hardly matters), and you have X-scissor to deal with the grass types and Grass Knot for waters. Moreover, you don't need to cover the whole chart to deal damage; there's more to damage output than type effectiveness. I'll take a STAB Surf over a SE Arm Thrust.

I had the opposite experience as you with regards to Tepig/Oshawott. To me, Tepig just felt like a weaker version of Darumaka the entire game. He's got type coverage, but not a lot of power behind his attacks. For most of the game, Flame Charge is your most powerful fire attack, and Arm Thrust is the only fighting attack you'll learn unless you decide to use a heart scale to teach your Emboar Hammer Arm. It reminded me very much of Charizard's "ember rut" in RBY, where I was left without STABs for most of the game. Grass Knot wasn't nearly as useful as I thought it would be (a lot of the Pokemon that I needed it for weren't heavy enough for it to be an OHKO most of the time) and Heat Crash similarly suffers from consistency issues. Rock Tomb is bad for a number of reasons (very low power, mediocre accuracy) but it's Emboar's only check to flying types, really.

I thought that Tepig would have a statistical advantage over Oshawott, but as it turns out, Oshawott's attack stats are actually better than Tepig's. (63/45 for Oshawott versus 55/63 for Tepig.) Pignite does arguably have a slight advantage due to having stats weighted more toward the physical side (Pignite 93/70, Dewott 75/83) but in the end I found that Pignite's better attack stat was not enough to make up for his relatively weak moves. In terms of raw damage output, the two are probably roughly tied, and a fire type has to do much better than that to topple a water type, especially when it sports the fighting type (which I found to be more of a hindrance than a help due to the prevalence of psychic and flying Pokemon). From a defensive perspective, fire/fighting is one of the worst possible types for in-game purposes, while water is probably one of the best.
I agree with this. Oshawott has quite good coverage, though honestly I found myself mostly just using Water attacks all game, since they're so good. Darumaka has the Fire-type on lock, honestly; I found Oshawott so much more valuable because the Water-types ingame are just all so inferior and Oshawott more than amply fulfils the niche, whereas you need look no further than the killing machine that is Darumaka (you get it reasonably early too!) for Fire-type attacks. Despite only liking Dewott from that evo line, my latest playthrough has used Oshawott because, well, I can get a good Grass-type easily, same for Fire-type, but Water-types, nope.

Reiterating, it gets the TMs it needs to get to cover the types that resist Water moves, but its Water moves are quite powerful and I found myself constantly spamming them instead...

You are only at the third gym as of that post, so it's a bit early for you to make a judgment, imo (n/o)... Considering the third gym is Bug (you can go and catch a Darumaka for that anyway) while all the starters struggle with the first gym, and the second gym is Normal (weak to Pignite's dual STAB), of course you're going to be very thankful for Tepig at this point. It's competent, don't get me wrong, but I disagree with your suggestion that it's more useful than Oshawott is. Once you get in the desert and onwards, you'll realise it has really awful typing considering the things you'll be facing.

Speaking of Water as an ingame defensive type, the only thing I've remotely had trouble with is Grass-types; if I don't think I can OHKO them with the coverage moves Oshawott is blessed with, which is rare, I just switch. Of course you can apply that to anything but at the end of the day I'm switching Samurott out a lot less than I was switching Emboar out. By the time Dragons started showing up, I'd taught it Blizzard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)