In-Game Tier List Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Okay, sit on this for a minute.

Pidove's main STAB, Gust, runs off a base 36 Special Attack stat. 36. Even though Quick Attack is okay, it doesn't learn a Physical Flying-type move until the 6th gym. And trust me, its Special Attack doesn't get any better. It's second form has 50.

I mean... come the fuck on. KLING!?! Whoever else wants to step and defend Kling... fine. But you better present damned good evidence as to why to use it over, say, Cobalion who requires about the same detour route as Level 31 Kling but has a much better movepool.
I would actually argue against evolving Klang into Klingklang, because with the eviolite Klang essentially has 142 Base Def. and 127 Base Sp.Def with the same exact Base HP (60). He has lower speed than Klingklang, but after a Autotomize/Shift Gear I doubt it will be a problem. The only thing that is worse about him is his Attack, but Gear Grind is usually good enough to get the job done. Also his Sp. Attack is the same as well.

Ok level moves wise fine, but it does get return before the 4th gym (pointless time window because it won't do anything against elesa anyway), and get's fly in the next town.

And yea, it's special attack sucks, but it has super luck air cutter and can use work up.
I'm just saying, it can have a powerful STAB in return before you can get ducklett and it get's fly just afterwards.
It has a good attack stat, and it's not slow either.

Look it's not the greatest flying type ever, I know that, but I do feel it's really under appreciated and it's at least equal to ducklett imo. What abilities does Swanna have anyway? Keen eye and Big pecks? Meh.
Water might give that one more coverage, but it hits far less hard and Super luck is much better than any of Swanna's abilities.

I agree, Petilil should be in High tier. While lack of auxiliary coverage moves hurts it a bit against Dragon gym, etc., she has a lot of utility even against Pokémon that resist it, because of her power and ability to set up Quiver Dance after Sleep Powdering. People who have not used her generally complain about her lacking good coverage which is her biggest flaw and one I'm not going to deny, but I believe everything else about her augments that and makes her one of the most useful Grass-types ingame. You get her early and in Black you get a great ingame trade for her, in White you can of course catch one yourself early on, either way you get her around Nacrene City (2nd gym city). Even though her circumstances would seem inopportune with Bugs (Forest and Castelia Gym), I found her easy to train because of Sleep Powder and Leech Seed / Mega Drain recovery. Later on she hit like a truck, I think we all know Quiver Dance + Petal Dance is destructive. The only Pokémon you'll have trouble with other than Dragon Dancing Dragons (Sleep Powder them then switch anyway) are the Sap Sippers, like Raikaria pointed out, and you don't face very many Deerling.

Joltic to Upper Mid. It's too late in the game for high teir. If it stays there, Klink should be raised, because Klink is more useful against in-game bosses.
Disagree, it's midgame and when you get it it's an extremely opportune time because it resists the attacks of most things in the cave and can get a few levels. It struggles a little until it evolves but that shouldn't take long because it demolishes the Tower and Flying gym. You get the Charge Beam TM and already have Volt Change just waiting for it to get Thunder, which isn't long after. You do get it at the best possible time for it, really. I don't think its lateness impacts it much at all given the level you catch it at being close to its evolution and given you just pick up Lucky Egg... When you get it, you're only a bit past the halfway point anyway, still a bunch of Gyms, Victory Road, and the Elite Four + N/Ghetsis and all the trainers in between to go. I think Joltik is ideal for High tier. It's just a significant bit better than the things currently in Mid, to the point of jumping over that gap, although naturally that tier needs refinement anyway.

Cottonee is useless unlike Petilil since it has no offenses and has to rely on Leech Seed stall, any Grass-types you can catch are better than it pretty much since they can actually attack, and something like Ferrothorn could probably stall more efficiently anyway if you were really that masochistic. Low for it and Ferroseed (which you get even later and has the same problem except it can actually attack kinda...) imo.

Litwick Upper Mid imo, I don't know about High but a lot of people have been reporting positive experiences with it and while it's really frail and takes awhile to evolve it is strong and helpful against the E4 and Ice gym.

I think a reasonable preliminary outline (that can be further refined) for High would be:

• Darumaka
  • Oshawott
  • Sandile
  • Drilbur
  • Scraggy
  • Joltik
  • Petilil
  • Archen
  • Tepig
  • Sawk
  • Timburr (can trade)
I don't know about Tympole or Sigilyph, someone can slot them in or come up with a better High tier for me. My issue with Conkeldurr is that its movepool sucks for way longer than Scraggy's. I know this list is quite imperfect but it's a starting point.

Lilipup could stand to be in the higher echelons of Upper Mid or the lower echelons of High since its incredible earlygame utility declines severely (particularly relative to other Pokémon that you can acquire later) before the midpoint.

You could create a Top tier as well. I'd put the first four or so mons that I just named in it at least. Darumaka and Oshawott at the very least are a good deal better than most other Pokémon because of their niches (Darumaka is ez the best Fire-type while Pansear is mediocre, particularly with bad Fire moves up until the point you can just catch the vastly superior Darumaka anyway, and I've already whined about Tepig though it's still good... Oshawott is leaps and bounds above the other Waters, it takes you awhile to be able to catch any decent Waters and none of them are clos eto Oshawott).

A way to win against non-flash fire Pokemon. It helps to have Ninetails or even just a Vulpix with Drought on your team

Choice Band Liepard:
Prankster
252 HP / 252 Attack
Adamant

Assist [Goes first using V-Generate, despite Speed drops]
Sucker Punch [for facing foes such as Shauntai of the E4 whom carries Chandelure, Jellicent]

Someone traded me a Smeargle that has Sketched V-generate (I guess a Sketched Metronomed V-gen):

Smeargle:

V-generate
Assist
Dragon Tail
Wrong thread.

On another note, I will also say that Petilil is the most overrated Pokemon mentioned in this topic. Literally the ONLY moves it learns are grass moves which are resisted by 7 different types. Its by far the worst offensive type in the game, and Butterfly Dance isn't going to save it. Speaking of Butterfly Dance, its essentially a glorified Work Up. The speed boost is largely irrelevant considering Lilligant (and half the Pokemon in High tier for that matter) have no problem outspeeding the enemy. As a matter of fact, a lot of Pokemon in High tier can OHKO without a boost like Butterfly Dance. Oh, and it sucks ass before it evolves.

Petilil isn't bad, but not quite high tier good. Upper Mid is more reasonable (and on that note, I think Cottonee can drop out of high as well)
I don't know how you've been using it, but my Lilligant does OHKO without a boost. Even stuff that resists it. It's got so I can't risk Giga Draining anything I want to try and catch just in case I KO it.

Well, not really, this is to discuss in-game, and since I mentioned a strategy used in-game (i.e. my reference to the E4, and getting a traded Smeargle; not a simulator), I can bring it up. Its just a strategy that can be used in game...
This is for people playing through the game, using Pokémon that they find in game; not people hacking illegal Pokémon and trading outside Pokémon to help them...

Well, not really, this is to discuss in-game, and since I mentioned a strategy used in-game (i.e. my reference to the E4, and getting a traded Smeargle; not a simulator), I can bring it up. Its just a strategy that can be used in game...
For the record the only thing you can do with trading is to get Conkeldurr, Accelgor, Escavalier and Gigalith.

Using DW Pokemon does not qualify for that.

I don't know how you've been using it, but my Lilligant does OHKO without a boost. Even stuff that resists it. It's got so I can't risk Giga Draining anything I want to try and catch just in case I KO it.
This, I found Lilligant constantly OHKOing things, though I don't know if mine was just blessed in IVs or something because I don't care about them ingame so I don't check... I'm only hyping it so much because it worked multiple times for me at an even level with the rest of the party (so not babied).

Dracoyoshi8 in #dreamworld came up with an idea that I particularly like:

Replace the current tier scale with a 5-star one.

A star system is generally easier to interpret than something like three different High tiers, for example.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Back to Joltik for second, I think that it should be High tier for the fact that it sweeps the sixth gy, Lucky Egg makes leveling easy, and the fact that it sweeps the whole E4. Literally the only pokemon it will lose to is Golurk and sometimes Musharna. Charge Beam+ Thunder equals intense sweeping. Yeah Galvantula is a beast.

Stoutland I think should be dropped one tier because after it evolves it lacks the power to KO much while taking heavy damage in return requiring to much item spam.

Dracoyoshi8 in #dreamworld came up with an idea that I particularly like:

Replace the current tier scale with a 5-star one.

A star system is generally easier to interpret than something like three different High tiers, for example.
That's an interesting idea; it's quite different from the traditional tier list format that we've been adhering to but I quite like it.

It should just be three tiers: High/Mid/Low. Pokémon that are good, Pokémon that are bad, and if you are in doubt then you can put them in between. Much easier to interpret and to come to a concensus on.

I think Troh has a case for High tier. Just because Sawk is better doesn't make him a Mid guy. I don't like this whole "outclassing" deal within types.

It should just be three tiers: High/Mid/Low. Pokémon that are good, Pokémon that are bad, and if you are in doubt then you can put them in between. Much easier to interpret and to come to a concensus on.

I think Troh has a case for High tier. Just because Sawk is better doesn't make him a Mid guy. I don't like this whole "outclassing" deal within types.
But it already is High/Mid/Low.

If there is a split, I don't think it should be Upper Mid/Lower Mid, I think it should be Low/Bottom. See, it's weird seeing half decent stuff like Munna and Minccino in the same tier as Deino and Larvesta.

Also, I agree with Jumpluff that Petilil and Lilligant should be High. I mean, a 112.5 base power move (Giga Drain) that recovers isn't good? And later on a 180 power move (Petal Dance) with no confusion consequence? It's only flaw is type coverage and you can remedy that with either Quiver Dance or Dream Eater, or both.

Agree with the call from Mekkah to move Throh up. It has seismic toss early to deal with the bugs that resist it early and makes reasonably light work of Lenora. Also has a very nice HP stat. The only things I had problems against early were Petilils using leech seed on that very nice HP stat and Desmasks.

My oshawott/dewott is useless, reckon I've been screwed around and got no IVs at all given how much love's going out for how great it is.

Would Scrafty be a lower tier if it wasn't for high jump kick?

I was going to trade an egg over with drain punch for a new playthrough (my thought was bulky pokemon appreciate health recovery), but high jump kick seems crazy good.

My oshawott/dewott is useless, reckon I've been screwed around and got no IVs at all given how much love's going out for how great it is.
I share this love for Oshawott; but I do think it is definitely helped by the lower than usual number and quality of the water pokemon in the game. I mean they aren't bad, but compare the choice and variety of water types available on a playthrough of BW to that of HGSS and you'll see my point.

Okay so I've just defeated the 6th gym, and I've found myself consistently surprised at just how impressive Basculin is. I genuinely was expecting it to be quite crap when I put it on my team, but jeez, that thing is bloody scary with STAB Aqua Tail and Reckless Double Edge, both of which it learns at relatively low levels. Not to mention mine is adamant, (which I think is the case with all Basculin from that Mincinno trade) and also came equipped with Crunch at level 25, which is always nice for some extra coverage. Btw I'm not appealing for it to be moved up; it is quite frail and doesn't appear until mid-game, but I was definately pleasantly surprised.

That said, I rather have this game's selection of Water types then DP's selection of Fire types...
Speaking of Water types, while he requires some powerleveling (since you catch it at low level and after gym 6...), Jellicent isn't disappointing me. A fun poke to pick, comes with Ominous Wind and Recover, paste Surf on it and once you get it Shadow Ball...and he'll preform nicely.

I have some spare time, so, I'll post my version of the teir list, changes will be in Italics, and explained below.

Top Teir:
Archen
Darumaka
Drillbur

High Teir:
Oshawott
Sandile
Sawk
Scraggy
Sigilyph
Tepig
Petilil

Upper Mid Teir:
Joltic
Timburr [Conkeldurr]
Tympole
Axew
Klink
Cobalion
Deerling
Ducklett
Dwebble
Panpour
Tirtouga
Lillipup

Mid Teir:
Blitzle
Emolga
Frillish
Litwick
Pansage
Patrat
Roggenrolla
Sewaddle
Solosis
Throh
Ventipede
Virizion
Miccino
Pidove

Low Mid Teir:
Gothita
Timburr
Vanillite
Thunderus
Terrakion
Maractus
Mienfoo
Snivy

Low Teir:
Basculin
Cottonee
Druddigon
Durant
Elgyem
Ferroseed
Buffolant
Cryongal
Cubchoo
Fooongus
Golett
Karrablast [Evolution Possible]
Munna
Pansear
Pawniard
Rufflet
Shelmet [Evolution Possible]
Stunfisk
Tornadus
Trubbish
Tynamo
Vullaby
Woobat
Yamask

Basement Teir:
Purrloin
Alomamola
Audino
Karrablast [Unable to Evolve]
Shelmet [Unable to Evolve]
Lavesta
Denio
Heatmor

Changes:

Made the Top Teir, as these three pokemon are significantly above anything else.

Petilil is High Teir, due to reasons already stated.
Joltic is High Mid. Sorry, but being able to sweep 1 Gym, and 2 of the E4 [Ghost and Fighting stops it. Stone Edge everywhere, Golurk...], is not High Teir. Especially when something like Klink sweeps 2 Gyms, handles another better, and handles the E4 just as well.

Conkeldurr is Upper Mid due to the movepool issues, and being inferior to Scraggy

Tympole is Upper Mid because he didn't shine during my use of him.

Lilipup is Upper Mid due to weakening late game.

Pidove is Mid, due to picking up Return around the 4th Gym, and Fly after the 5th. My Unfezant destroys everything in-game rather well, besides Steel and Rock types. I never even have to resort to Work Up/Roost.

Miccino is Mid due to the absurb power of Technician+ STAB Tail Slap, which is effectivly between 100 and 250 BP. Not exactly shabby. Technician Wake-Up Slap is also rather strong.

Marctus is Low Mid, due to being superior to Snivy in my experiance. It also gets Petal Dance at Lv 38, which is very strong in-game with BP 120, STAB, and off a Base 106 Sp.Attack.

Basculin, Cottonee, Druddigon, Durant, Elgyem, Ferroseed are all Low teir for various reasons. Cottonee, and Ferroseed lack power, all are outclassed by the time you get them in-game. Durant and Druddigon are both too late in the game. Elgyem is too slow. Basculin is just unimpressive in general.

Basement Teir has been created for pokemon which are significantly worse than most others.

Purrloin needs no explaination, neither should Alomamola, Audino, Karrablast [Unable to Evolve] and Shelmet [Unable to Evolve].

Heatmor is FAR too late in the game, outclassed by EVERY fire type, and even then, is pretty bad.

Lavesta and Denio are too late in the game, and evolve FAR too late.

Agree with the call from Mekkah to move Throh up. It has seismic toss early to deal with the bugs that resist it early and makes reasonably light work of Lenora. Also has a very nice HP stat. The only things I had problems against early were Petilils using leech seed on that very nice HP stat and Desmasks.
Throh seems pretty solid. I've got 6 badges now, and he consistently deals out hefty chunks of damage. He's also no slouch at taking hits as well; his only real weakness is that he's slow, and even that can be taken advantage of with the right moves. Initially I was disappointed at it being hard to find Sawk in White, but Throh's certainly been a worthy member of this team.

Mine was Adamant, so I decided to focus on physical moves. He's got Aqua Jet, Waterfall, X-Scissor, and Revenge; all of which do respectable damage on their targets. He hasn't really disappointed me at all so far.

Lillipup/Stoutland, on the other hand, seems to be slowing down as time goes on. He seemed good towards the beginning of the game, but now I'm noticing that he's not impressing me as much as the other guys anymore. He's not bad by any stretch now, but moreso average.

I think Ferroseed needs to be moved up from Low. It's a pain to train at first and has low attacking power, but after it evolves it's pretty good. Mid would be good enough for it, IMO.

EDIT: Nevermind, it IS Mid...

Whoah, what is Yamask doing right at the bottom? I used it in game, and it was actually pretty good. Will-O-Wisp was extremely useful in game (Especially in the Dragon gym), and Hex made it a pretty effective attacker as well. And the fact that it's below Purrloin and Heatmor is nothing short of ridiculous.

The tiers are in alphabetical order so all we know at the moment is that Yamask is Low. That aside, isn't using Will-O-Wisp + Hex basically the same as using Hex twice?

I find it a bit more hilarious he tried hyping Kliing. Which has 55 base Attack. Comes at Level 27. Doesn't evolve until 11 levels later. Oh did I forget to mention that Gear Change is pretty much his only good move? Even once it evolves it has... 80 base Attack. That's fucking awesome isn't it? He's only lucky Klinklang will happen by the time you reach the Elite 4. I mean I get it's durable and Klinklang isn't terrible but... seriously? Kling over Voltik, who at least has a semi-usable movepool and Charge Beam at least raises his mediocre Special Attack to acceptable?

I mean... come the fuck on. KLING!?! Whoever else wants to step and defend Kling... fine. But you better present damned good evidence as to why to use it over, say, Cobalion who requires about the same detour route as Level 31 Kling but has a much better movepool.
Dude, chill out. I understand that you're...opinionated, but is it really such a big deal that you have to start cursing and flipping out?

The games don't require perfect teams, you can get away with using pokemon you enjoy and think are cool (for the most part). I personally think that Klink's final evolution looks pretty awesome, and Gear Change is pretty cool. Maybe Cobalion is better, but people might want use Klink over it just because they want to use Klink.

Anyway, there's no need to get so worked up. Relax.

Dude, chill out. I understand that you're...opinionated, but is it really such a big deal that you have to start cursing and flipping out?

The games don't require perfect teams, you can get away with using pokemon you enjoy and think are cool (for the most part). I personally think that Klink's final evolution looks pretty awesome, and Gear Change is pretty cool. Maybe Cobalion is better, but people might want use Klink over it just because they want to use Klink.

Anyway, there's no need to get so worked up. Relax.
You're in the wrong topic if you want to use Pokemon because you think they're "cool". There's an ingame discussion topic devoted entirely for that purpose.

Plus I know Colonel_M well enough to know that he wasn't cursing because he was angry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)