Insert Creative Team Name Here

Hey there everyone. I'm GigaBreaker88, and this is my first attempt at creating a strong competitive team. I've researched some of how this works, and have been a fan of the series since childhood, so I do have a pretty good idea of how things work, but I never decided to do competitive until recently. I put this team together based on trying to get good coverage and some variety so that I wouldn't simply have 6 sweepers like I used to in game. I feel as though it is a bit weak to certain Pokemon, specifically Talonflame, who manages to sweep most of my team before ding to Brave Bird recoil, but aside from that I have had success in the sim (Pokemon Showdown) with this setup. Any corrections would be very helpful. (In game I do not breed for IVs and natures, but I do of course use optimal IVs and Natures on the sim.)

Yokodera (Alakazam) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind
- Dazzling Gleam

I decided on using an Alakazam on my team for a few reasons. Firstly, I have tended to use one whenever possible due to knowing it is a strong special sweeper capable of holding its own against many different Pokemon and types, providing decent coverage and damage to most teams. I use Dazzling Gleam over Shadow Ball primarily to cover the lack of super effective moves I have against Dragon types, and Psychock over Psychic to deal with certain special walls such as Tentacruel and in a somewhat rarer line, Gyrados. Focus Blast is obviously to deal with Dark types that Dazzling Gleam might not kill, especially Tyranitar.

Horrortress (Forretress) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch
- Gyro Ball

I use a fairly standard set on my very cleverly named Horrortress, maximizing defense and utility. I really stuck him in here as an afterthought so I would have a way to use Rapid Spin and lay down some kind of entry hazard, but he has proven to be very useful in the event I am caught in a stall. He also allows for some interesting mind games in cooperation with Tentacruel, allowing me to take very little damage while stalling out a Toxic, using Forretress to tank most moves and sending in Tentacruel to tank Fire Blasts and whatnot. Together, they create a strong defensive core.

Cariocoat (Lucario) @ Lucarionite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Swords Dance

I use my Lucario as a Mega Sweeper, abusing his increased speed to take out most threats with one Close Combat, and setting up with Swords Dance when I see an opportunity. Crunch is there as coverage for such threats as an opposing Modest Alakazam if I manage to outspeed/outpredict. Although it does have little way to deal with threats it cannot reliably OHKO, those are few and far between, outside of dedicated tanks who can likely not kill me without getting a burn. Talonflame in particular counters it, as Bullet Punch, even with Adaptability, does very little damage to it, while it outspeeds me and can reliably OHKO, which is where Tentacruel comes in.

Pah-Wraith (Volcarona) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Flame Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance
- Quiver Dance
- Hurricane

Volcarona has been my favorite Pokemon since gen V, replacing Deoxys in my heart. He works very well in conjunction with Alakazam, being able to take out the Dark types he cannot reliably defeat, as well as Psychic types, all too common in OU. Fire Dance also provides excellent coverage and damage in addition to the SpA boost. I chose it over Fire Blast for that very reason, as well as the far more reliable accuracy. I also use Hurricane for some damage on fighting types if I cannot reliably switch to another mon without taking significant damage. I use a Lum berry to deal with the common confusion and Toxic in OU, which has won me many a battle. On a side not, in an in game battle with a friend, my Volcarona swept his Mewtwo and Yveltal, as well as several others, without dying. When pokebank comes out, I intend to switch Hurricane for Giga Drain for coverage against Rock types.

Tentapool (Tentacruel) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Haze

Tentacruel is one of my more favorite specially inclined tanks, with excellent typing for checking physical threats as well. At one time I did have its EV spread set to SpD rather than Def, but I found by trial and error that it works far better. Scald and Toxic may seem to conflict with each other, but Toxic is very useful for dealing with Special Attackers and Tanks in a stall, while Scald of course works best on Physical Attackers I wish to incapacitate. Haze is also very useful in stalls, often ruining Baton Passers dreams of setting up on a tank and switching away, as well as stopping slightly slower Swords Dancers such as Scizor. In game, Haze was a pain to breed on, let me tell you. I use Ice Beam as secondary coverage on Dragon Types who wold otherwise have me at their mercy.

Raptasia (Staraptor) @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- Roost
- U-turn

Staraptor has been a favorite of mine since gen IV, with good speed and great attack. I use Sharp Beak over a Choice item primarily so as not to be locked into a disadvantageous situation, and allowing me the option to heal against tanks via Roost, which also provides a way to survive slightly weaker super effective attacks and out predicting things such as Sucker Punch. Staraptor together with Lucario constitutes my primary Physical core, creating high damage with decent speed which can take out most threats not named for a portion of a birds anatomy and a type of heat creating phenomena. U-Turn is of course an excellent scouting tool, and a useful way to get in some free damage on low threat tanks while switching to a more appropriate counter. Having double Close Combat may seem somewhat excessive, but it allows me to take out the many Fighting weak Pokemon in OU, as well as providing coverage or a source of neutral damage against some tanks that resist Brave Bird.

And there you have it, my team. I feel as though it does knit together decently well, while providing coverage against most mons, and as said above, any help would be greatly appreciated.

My one and only bump. Please, those more knowledgeable than I, grant me a wisp of your knowledge in the form of advice in elevating my team to a higher level of competitive viability.
Edit: Why no rate? Did I do something wrong?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)