General Introduce yourself!

QueBien

Nomad, vagabond, call me what you will
Hello all! Icky here, 21 in a few days been around Smogon for a little while but just recently started looking at the forums so i made an account. :D Um I've been playing Pokemon since R/B/Y lol and I've played pretty much every Pokemon game since (non-main games too) but i just started battling competitively about 3 months ago and i cant stop lol. I saw under the wi-fi thread that there are some tournaments going on that im interested in but if anyone knows where i could find a league to be in with multiple weeks, playoffs, a draft, etc. PLEASE point me in that direction I've been watching people like Shady and Nappy on YT lately and i love watching their UCL battles. Anyway thats all for now lol hope to make friends with some of y'all soon!
Hello IckyTv!
Welcome to the forums! I started with the Pokemon franchise a few years back with Emerald. It remains my favorite game to date. :D I've played all the main games save for the first two generations, but I plan on getting to that sometime. I started playing competitively (or at least semi-competitively) about two years back when my friend got me started with Showdown. There are tournaments hosted regularly here at Smogon, but I'm not sure about leagues. There are multiple PS! servers, EOS for example, that include "leagues", albeit on a much smaller scale. If you need anything, feel free to ask any questions you may have in the Simple Questions thread or in the Simple Questions Simple Answers threads. You can also PM me if you'd like. I hope you enjoy your time here at Smogon!

Hi! My name is Katherine, and I came here for team advice.
I have wanted to get into the competitive side of Pokemon VGC and the best I've done is 6th place at a city championship. My fav. Pokemon is Darkrai, fav. Mega is Sharpedo, and fav. Games are Platinum, Y, and Omega Ruby.

Hi, I'm ThunderBurb. I am on PS all day long. I hope to make some friends who are tiny youtubers like me. I'd like to know what thread I would go to if I wanted to create a battling league. I am a competitive swimmer for my school and city, and play soccer for my school. My favorite Pokemon is between Greninja and Pinsir. I started playing in 3rd Gen and then went back to the first two gens and still play every game.

Greetings! I'm GuruGamma, pokemaniac since 1st Gen and long time rival of Bugsy the gym leader, because he's foolish enough to believe he's the expert on bug pokemon and not I. I'm a total noob to the competitive scene, and I unfortunately missed the window on this round of apprentices, but that won't stop me from learning! My default avatar turned out to be Foongus, which is fine by me because he's adorable. My favorite pokemon is Heracross, not the mega though, that thing looks kinda dumb.

QueBien

Hi, I'm ThunderBurb. I am on PS all day long. I hope to make some friends who are tiny youtubers like me. I'd like to know what thread I would go to if I wanted to create a battling league. I am a competitive swimmer for my school and city, and play soccer for my school. My favorite Pokemon is between Greninja and Pinsir. I started playing in 3rd Gen and then went back to the first two gens and still play every game.
Hey ThunderBurb!
Nice to meet you! I used to be on Showdown all the time, but very rarely nowadays. :/ We have a lot of people here who like YouTube, so I'm sure you'll make some good friends there. I'm not exactly sure where to go to create a battling league, but you can ask in the Smogon Simple Questions thread or the Simple Questions Simple Answers threads. I'm a fan of soccer, too, and although I don't play on a team or anything, I do play the sport quite often. My favorite Pokemon is Bisharp, but Lucario is really close behind. I also started playing with the 3rd Generation games, albeit a while after the Generation 3 games were originally released. The first two generations are the only two I have not yet played, simply because I don't really have time right now. Well, if you need anything else, feel free to post in the threads I mentioned earlier or PM me. Have a great time here!
Greetings! I'm GuruGamma, pokemaniac since 1st Gen and long time rival of Bugsy the gym leader, because he's foolish enough to believe he's the expert on bug pokemon and not I. I'm a total noob to the competitive scene, and I unfortunately missed the window on this round of apprentices, but that won't stop me from learning! My default avatar turned out to be Foongus, which is fine by me because he's adorable. My favorite pokemon is Heracross, not the mega though, that thing looks kinda dumb.
Hey GuruGamma!
Great to meet a veteran player! Yeah, I agree, how can Bugsy be the bug expert when I'm the bug expert?! Don't worry, when I first got started with Showdown about one and a half years ago, I was complete trash at the game. But Smogon has helped me to get a lot better! You can sign up for the next Battling 101 round, but be sure to check out this handy little guide on competitive battling basics. I've forgotten what my default avatar was, but I think it could possibly have been Vanillite or something. You're right, Foongus is an adorable Pokemon! But should you like to change your avatar sometime, click your name in the top right corner of the screen and click Personal Details--if you didn't already know. My favorite bug type Pokemon is Scizor, which happens to be my third favorite Pokemon overall. Anyway, I hope you enjoy your time here!

Hey GuruGamma!
Great to meet a veteran player! Yeah, I agree, how can Bugsy be the bug expert when I'm the bug expert?! Don't worry, when I first got started with Showdown about one and a half years ago, I was complete trash at the game. But Smogon has helped me to get a lot better! You can sign up for the next Battling 101 round, but be sure to check out this handy little guide on competitive battling basics. I've forgotten what my default avatar was, but I think it could possibly have been Vanillite or something. You're right, Foongus is an adorable Pokemon! But should you like to change your avatar sometime, click your name in the top right corner of the screen and click Personal Details--if you didn't already know. My favorite bug type Pokemon is Scizor, which happens to be my third favorite Pokemon overall. Anyway, I hope you enjoy your time here!
Thank you for the warm welcome! I know most of what I need to know to at least start battling, I just need help actually forming teams and implementing game plans, which I hope PS and the Battling 101 will help with.

Hello everyone, new guy here i have a couple of questions:
i noticed that there is a tournament forum here, but is the wi-fi of the game still allowed? are there some wi-fi tournaments? how about the simulator tournaments? are they done all on the smogon forum or are they also somewhere else? i'd like to improve my teambuilding skills and game plans, where should i go? thanks to whoever will answer!

i noticed that there is a tournament forum here, but is the wi-fi of the game still allowed? are there some wi-fi tournaments? how about the simulator tournaments? are they done all on the smogon forum or are they also somewhere else? i'd like to improve my teambuilding skills and game plans, where should i go? thanks to whoever will answer!
Hey pal, welcome to Smogon. Wi-Fi tournaments can be found in the Wi-Fi section. Tournaments held on Pokemon Showdown! can be found in the Tournament section. If you're looking to improve your teambuilding, take a look at the Rate My Team section. Be sure to read the rules before you post!

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
In addition to the above advice, the simulator (Pokemon Showdown!) has a Tournaments room that runs tournaments all day. They're casual, simple, single-elimination, instant-entry tournaments, so it's a very good way to easily join a tournament without the hassle (and potential confusion) of jumping right into a forum-based tournament, which are often more intricate or complicated. If you find a specific tier or metagame you're interested in playing, be sure to join those rooms on Pokemon Showdown! too, because they usually hold several tournaments a day.

hey everyone.

my name's safroka or really any variation of that word. shaian has been nagging me to play competitively and said a good first step would be joining smogon so here i am. love pokemon, but am wholly confused and overwhelmed by EVs/the competitive landscape in general. downloaded showdown a few months ago and did a couple random battles, but in terms of what it takes to properly *teambuild* i'm hecka lost. let me know!

Hello everyone. I'm mostly here after a 3 month hiatus of sorts. I almost forgot about this place and I still wanted to learn some battling stuff. Hope I can learn some new stuff :). Favorite Pokemon is Lucario, favorite tier is OU.

Hey Hatchet, welcome! Great to see you back and willing to learn some more about competitive. If you are into OU, a great place to stop by would be OverUsed, under Competitive Discussion. There you can find many useful post that have to do with the tier. I'd also go see Rate My Team, there you can get your teams rated by some old time players. Make sure to read the rules there before posting. The Smogdex is a very very useful tool, gives analysis of most viable pokemon. If you aren't already, I hope you familiarize yourself with Smogon a bit and see the Smogon Info / Intro Hub. Here you can find useful post like: Competitive Battling Basics, Smogon Beginner Basics, and Smogon Simple Questions.
We have a chat room, that new and old users hang in, hope you stop by and say hi.
http://spo.ink/sihc
It's been a while since I've done much here. Had a team I played with for a bit, but now it looks like I'm gonna have to tweak it...thanks for the resources, i need to read all those again and try to teambuild once again

Of course man, anytime. Once you tweak out the obvious issues with the team RMT will be perfect. My name on PS! is the same as here, so if you see me around feel free to shoot me a message.
PS. I forgot to mention, but my fav Pokemon is Totodile :3
Good choice, it's probably gonna be a while until you see me on PS. I got this strange problem, I understand a fair amount of strategy and stuff and I love watching battles, but darn do i stink at actually making a team xD. I went through heck trying to make one 4 months ago. Back to square one.

hello there, my name is Yoship2. I have Sm4sh, Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, Mario Kart 7 (which I have to find), and soon Omega Ruby.

I started out with Ruby in 2004, one of my most favorite games, despite not using my GBA anymore. Platinum was my most played game, but I unfortunately hacked either that or Pearl (EXP and OHKO, didn't do it for gyms though). I was stuck on the road to the 8th badge, sadly, but if I ever find one of the two cartridges, I plan on restarting the game and playing it fresh without hacks. the game I stopped Pokémon with was Platinum, after I got bored/mad at it (not sure as it was probably 3 years ago). I plan on studying tiers and moves, and not using OU Pokémon (other than my favorite, Sylveon) very much. one thing I'd need help with is natures, so feel free to PM me on that if you care to. that's all I've really got to say, anything else about me that I feel like sharing is on my profile.

hello there, my name is Yoship2. I have Sm4sh, Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, Mario Kart 7 (which I have to find), and soon Omega Ruby.

I started out with Ruby in 2004, one of my most favorite games, despite not using my GBA anymore. Platinum was my most played game, but I unfortunately hacked either that or Pearl (EXP and OHKO, didn't do it for gyms though). I was stuck on the road to the 8th badge, sadly, but if I ever find one of the two cartridges, I plan on restarting the game and playing it fresh without hacks. the game I stopped Pokémon with was Platinum, after I got bored/mad at it (not sure as it was probably 3 years ago). I plan on studying tiers and moves, and not using OU Pokémon (other than my favorite, Sylveon) very much. one thing I'd need help with is natures, so feel free to PM me on that if you care to. that's all I've really got to say, anything else about me that I feel like sharing is on my profile.
Generation 4 was amazing as well as platinum soul silver and heartgold. That's my favorite generation and also diamond was one of my first Pokemon games. The best place to start competitive battling is Pokemon showdown and also the strategy dex. I can help you with improving your battling skills or the basics later on. Feel free to pm me on smogon or message me on skype or the chat at the original post if you need something. Hope you enjoy smogon.

Hello. I've been playing Pokemon a long time, but I've only started competitively recently (recently being at least 6 months ago). I do have a PS account under the same name. BTW, I'm not really 25, I just don't want to give away my actual age for privacy reasons. My favourite Pokemon is Sceptile, and I like to think of myself as a master of using Sceptile and it's mega (Interestingly, I actually used the Rocket Butt Mega Sceptile set back before it was even published to Smogon (or before I found out it was, anyways)). I dabble in a few metas, but the main ones I play are OU, UU, Ubers, and VGC/Battle Spot Singles and Doubles. I first found out about Smogon through references to it in Youtube comments, and, after some research, decided to dabble in competitive. Since then, I like to think I've gotten good (or at least, respectable) at Pokemon from a competitive aspect, and already have plans to play the next gen games a bit differently as a result. Namely, NOT capture all of the legends immediately like I did in OR/AS (it was before I got into competitive). RIP me using Heatran in OR/AS Battle Spot. However, I did recently SR for a Timid Diancie, so I guess that's something. I didn't bother with the IVs beyond the 3 perfect ones already there (because ORAS legendary mechanics), as, while having perfect IVs are good and all, I think having all of them perfect is a tad wasteful/unecessary. Well, I wish that was the reason. The real reason was because it took SO ARCEUS DANG LONG to get just Timid. I've yet to train it. TBH, the Diancie is more of a test to see if I can SR for decent natures. I also learned that day that Synchronise doesn't work for Event received legends :(.

I've yet to ladder on PS because I don't really have the dedication to do it - I usually get beaten a couple times in a row and then I get deterred for a day or so, instead of modifying my team to deal with said threats (I do sometimes), usually because it's the stuff that low ladder throws at you (like full teams of Eviolite stallers). As such, I've yet to breach 1400 in any of the ladders. My current favourite mega to use is Mega Sableye, as it snowballs pretty quickly after fairies and special tanks are removed (I run DP over SB as I don't want to give Normal types the chance to set up).

I tend to avoid copying the Smogon pages for Pokemon sets, choosing to make my own and using the Smogon set as a reference. As a result, I run Adamant on Garchomp instead of Jolly, because having an effective base attack stat of over 180 with Life Orb is too much to pass up for me. I've not found many situations where Adamant Garchomp doesn't outspeed threats it would have with Jolly.

At the moment, I'm in the process of designing my own meta - Heck, I've even written most of the PS code for it. Fortunately, I'm able to program in a few languages, mainly Python, Java, and a bit of Javascript, so it's pretty straightforward for me.

And one more thing, in case you hadn't noticed, my posts are quite long. I'm a pretty detail focused person. I try to cut down, but I've yet to succeed. Heck, I even got a too long message from PS in one of the chat rooms when I was discussing the best way to run a team with Mega Sableye.

CyclicCompound

is a bicycle person thing
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hey, welcome to Smogon, Niadev!
BTW, I'm not really 25, I just don't want to give away my actual age for privacy reasons.
You can actually set your birthday to private in your Personal Details page. Just hover over your name in the top right-hand side of the screen and click on "Personal Details," and the option should be somewhere on that page.

If you're designing your own meta, I would check out the Other Metagames forum if you haven't already. There's a place to submit your OMs for the mods to review, and if it gets greenlighted, you get your own thread and everything. I think with your well-fleshed-out posts (never a bad thing) and your coding (nice!) you should have a good shot.

I hate laddering too, join the club. Welcome again and feel free to PM me!

Hey, welcome to Smogon, Niadev!
You can actually set your birthday to private in your Personal Details page. Just hover over your name in the top right-hand side of the screen and click on "Personal Details," and the option should be somewhere on that page.

If you're designing your own meta, I would check out the Other Metagames forum if you haven't already. There's a place to submit your OMs for the mods to review, and if it gets greenlighted, you get your own thread and everything. I think with your well-fleshed-out posts (never a bad thing) and your coding (nice!) you should have a good shot.

I hate laddering too, join the club. Welcome again and feel free to PM me!
Oh, I found it out a bit later, the age privacy thing. I wasn't aware of how to submit another meta, though. Thanks :)

Hello. I've been playing Pokemon a long time, but I've only started competitively recently (recently being at least 6 months ago). I do have a PS account under the same name. BTW, I'm not really 25, I just don't want to give away my actual age for privacy reasons. My favourite Pokemon is Sceptile, and I like to think of myself as a master of using Sceptile and it's mega (Interestingly, I actually used the Rocket Butt Mega Sceptile set back before it was even published to Smogon (or before I found out it was, anyways)). I dabble in a few metas, but the main ones I play are OU, UU, Ubers, and VGC/Battle Spot Singles and Doubles. I first found out about Smogon through references to it in Youtube comments, and, after some research, decided to dabble in competitive. Since then, I like to think I've gotten good (or at least, respectable) at Pokemon from a competitive aspect, and already have plans to play the next gen games a bit differently as a result. Namely, NOT capture all of the legends immediately like I did in OR/AS (it was before I got into competitive). RIP me using Heatran in OR/AS Battle Spot. However, I did recently SR for a Timid Diancie, so I guess that's something. I didn't bother with the IVs beyond the 3 perfect ones already there (because ORAS legendary mechanics), as, while having perfect IVs are good and all, I think having all of them perfect is a tad wasteful/unecessary. Well, I wish that was the reason. The real reason was because it took SO ARCEUS DANG LONG to get just Timid. I've yet to train it. TBH, the Diancie is more of a test to see if I can SR for decent natures. I also learned that day that Synchronise doesn't work for Event received legends :(.

I've yet to ladder on PS because I don't really have the dedication to do it - I usually get beaten a couple times in a row and then I get deterred for a day or so, instead of modifying my team to deal with said threats (I do sometimes), usually because it's the stuff that low ladder throws at you (like full teams of Eviolite stallers). As such, I've yet to breach 1400 in any of the ladders. My current favourite mega to use is Mega Sableye, as it snowballs pretty quickly after fairies and special tanks are removed (I run DP over SB as I don't want to give Normal types the chance to set up).

I tend to avoid copying the Smogon pages for Pokemon sets, choosing to make my own and using the Smogon set as a reference. As a result, I run Adamant on Garchomp instead of Jolly, because having an effective base attack stat of over 180 with Life Orb is too much to pass up for me. I've not found many situations where Adamant Garchomp doesn't outspeed threats it would have with Jolly.

At the moment, I'm in the process of designing my own meta - Heck, I've even written most of the PS code for it. Fortunately, I'm able to program in a few languages, mainly Python, Java, and a bit of Javascript, so it's pretty straightforward for me.

And one more thing, in case you hadn't noticed, my posts are quite long. I'm a pretty detail focused person. I try to cut down, but I've yet to succeed. Heck, I even got a too long message from PS in one of the chat rooms when I was discussing the best way to run a team with Mega Sableye.
Good globuty God that is a long intro. Well we're do I began there's always room for improvement mate it took me two years to actually get decent in the tiers. I also got a 1400 latter rating and it can get challenging. You shouldn't feel down after loosing a few matches instead pick up from your mistakes and learn from them because chances are your going to meet the same Pokemon again especially in OU. You seem to know a lot about the meta game and my advice is to keep practiting. If you need something feel free to pm me or Fluke or QueBien. you can also Skype me or go to the chat room. Also in this forum there's a battling place for beggeners like you. It would be fun I think if you tried it out.

Hey guys, I'm FormlessManager (you can just call me formless). I've been playing Pokemon since Ruby and Sapphire, but only doing competitive stuffs since XY. Generally I tend to play Doubles, but occasionally I step into the singles arena to dust off my skills. On PS, you can usually find me in the OU room or the ORAS battle spot room. I have been using smogon for quite a while to help sharpen my team building skills, so I figured I should join to give back. Anyways, I hope I can make lots of friends here. See ya later, guys!

QueBien

Hey guys, I'm FormlessManager (you can just call me formless). I've been playing Pokemon since Ruby and Sapphire, but only doing competitive stuffs since XY. Generally I tend to play Doubles, but occasionally I step into the singles arena to dust off my skills. On PS, you can usually find me in the OU room or the ORAS battle spot room. I have been using smogon for quite a while to help sharpen my team building skills, so I figured I should join to give back. Anyways, I hope I can make lots of friends here. See ya later, guys!
Hello formless!
I've been playing since RSE, too! The gameplay and region makes Generation 3 my favorite generation. I also started competitive battling shortly after the release of XY. I usually play 1v1 and its variants, along with Random Battles and Monotype. When I do get on the main server of Showdown, I like to hang around the Other Metas room, but recently I haven't been online much. :/ I never really lurked before I joined, but when I first created this account, I forgot about it for a few months before I found it again. Since then I've been a lot more involved in the forums. I just love the community! I'm sure you'll have no trouble making friends here. :) You could join our IRC chat if you'd like to hang out with other newcomers. If you need help with anything, don't hesitate to ask your questions in the Smogon Simple Questions thread or the Simple Questions Simple Answers thread. You can also use the Help form if you need to. Have a great time here!

Hello, I'm Joe. I've been lurking on Smogon Forums for some years now, just created this account to help out a bit with some things, mostly in the lower tiers. I'll be posting occasionally.
I've been playing this game since it came out, and got into competitive in Gen IV. That's still my favorite meta. Gotta love that Selfdestruct Munchlax.

QueBien

Hello, I'm Joe. I've been lurking on Smogon Forums for some years now, just created this account to help out a bit with some things, mostly in the lower tiers. I'll be posting occasionally.
I've been playing this game since it came out, and got into competitive in Gen IV. That's still my favorite meta. Gotta love that Selfdestruct Munchlax.
Hey Joe Career!
Great you decided to join! I usually play the upper tiers, but I do enjoy the lower tiers every once in a while. I got into competitive battling at the start of Generation 6, but I started with the franchise at the third generation. Emerald is still my favorite game. Ah, trying to catch Feebas and catching a shiny Magikarp before finding one. I do like Y, though, and my favorite Pokemon is Bisharp. If you need help or anything, feel free to post in the Questions threads, or PM me, Chesty, or Fluke. Otherwise, have fun exploring the forums!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)