Jolteon with a pinch berry?

Petaya Berry Jolteon is the most common Jolteon from my experience and I use one myself fairly often. It's very potent and it is odd that it's not listed.

I agree, if Jolteon isn't carrying Leftovers and it's subbing, odds are it's holding Petaya or (more uncommonly) Salac. I guess it depends on what you intend to pass to, heck it could even hold Liechi if you intend to pass to something physical.

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I've always deemed Petaya passing Jolteon as gimmicky, and this is stemming back from my experiences with it in Advance. Pokemon like Blissey, Snorlax and Regice had no problem both stopping it and the pokemon it could pass to in Advance. I don't know what makes Jolteon any more threatening with a Petaya passing strategy in DP, especially given the advent of Stealth Rock, Toxic Spikes and the much increased popularity of Sand Stream, all of which Jolteon does not resist.

If you guys can weigh in on why you think this strategy is that much more viable than in Advance I can consider adding it to Other Options. While it's in the Advance dex as the first option, I reiterate that I was never much bothered by Sub Petaya Jolteon or saw it do much to anyone I faced, so I am largely speaking from experience when I talk about this almost-five-years-old strategy.

I think it's good, just the obvious "hey Sand Stream hurts it now" problem. It's just really annoying if you're paralyzed and facing Jolteon and then break its sub every time until it gets to 25% and you fully paralyze and then Jolteon gets a berry.

Not any problems with adding it.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Disregarding exactly how difficult it is to actually Baton Pass a Substitute with either Jolteon or Ninjask in DP, considering Skarmory completely eliminates the latter and basically any Pokemon glaring at Jolteon will break its Substitute, I have to say I agree with Jump in that Petaya Jolteon is gimmicky.

I disagree with putting anything other Leftovers on a Pokemon Baton Passing Substitutes.

Jolteon, Ninjask, and even possibly Vaporeon (though the Petaya Berry Vaporeon I saw was a one time thing, lol) should all carry Leftovers for that vital fifth Substitute.

The best case scenario for the Petaya Jolteon that I can assume is that late game you manage to switch in <50% Jolteon on a 60% Water / Flyer that is vital to the opponent's strategy, and he switches to a non Phazer while you Substitute, and for some reason can't break your Substitute, and...see just how impractical this is?

I'm not a fan of absolute or limiting statements, and while I'm sure Petaya Jolteon has assisted you once or twice in a battle, I can confidently state that Leftovers Substitute and the extra Substitute it nets you (especially if something common like Stealth Rock is in play) is more useful on average than Petaya Substitute.

Though honestly, why would you guys even bother Substitute Passing with Jolteon? If you want a free switch type move, U-turn does it a lot more efficiently, and if you really want a Substitute Passer, I'd give my support to Vaporeon or even Drifblim way before Jolteon.

Though honestly, why would you guys even bother Substitute Passing with Jolteon? If you want a free switch type move, U-turn does it a lot more efficiently, and if you really want a Substitute Passer, I'd give my support to Vaporeon or even Drifblim way before Jolteon.
because actually substitute can scout moves for little sparky? since its quite frail, so subs helps alot especially if foe use non attacking moves against it

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
If I was going to use a pinch-berry on Jolteon, I'd probably just go all out and whack a Starf Berry on him. That's even more gimmicky than the Petaya, but I have a much better chance of getting a return because +1 SpA is so easily negated whereas passing +2 SpD to something like SD Garchomp can be devestating.

and if you really want a Substitute Passer, I'd give my support to Vaporeon or even Drifblim way before Jolteon.
Agreed...I used Jolteon a bit in early DP, and it was incredibly rare to ever successfully complete a pass. Most the time he was merely giving a free switch to a team-mate at the expense of 25% of his HP which is why Leftovers are so important.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
because actually substitute can scout moves for little sparky? since its quite frail, so subs helps alot especially if foe use non attacking moves against it
If you use Substitute + Baton Pass solely for scouting, you should consider Protect. It helps against common Scarfers as well. Protect + basic switch does that much more effectively.

I'm disregarding the ability to pass a Substitute from Jolteon because of the immense difficulty of successfully passing a Substitute from it.

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
It's actually relatively easy to pass a Sub with the YawnPasser set I listed in the analysis. Yawning the Switch and then Subbing regardless is very easy to do, and even if they switch something like a Scarf Gengar or Heracross or Garchomp in, knowing full well what you're planning on doing, what do they do when you pass to something like Lucario or Gengar or Gyarados respectively, knowing that they're locked in if they were indeed able to break your sub before you passed it? That's the kind of Sub whoring Jolteon I'd suggest over a Petaya Berry one.

Aldaron

geriatric
Hmm, good point, I've never encountered a Yawn Substitute Jolteon, but it definitely seems viable. Anyway, even with Yawn making passing Substitutes somewhat more effective with Jolteon, I still don't recommend Petaya at all.

That extra Substitute is just too valuable.

I used Petaya Jolteon early in DP (before switching to something else) and one reason why I don't use Petaya as much is due to the increase in priority moves. Moves like Shadow Sneak and Aqua Jet tend to mess things up badly.

Honestly, I find it difficult to find the perfect item for Jolteon. Leftovers is arguably the best item to use with Jolteon, but what if you are in a situation where you can't share items? There are definitely things that need the Leftovers a lot more then Jolteon, so what do you do?

If you are using the pinch berry to give Jolteon some extra attacking power and not neccesarily to pass, then why use a Petaya when you can just slap on Wise Glasses or Expert Belt and get a boost right away?

If you aren't really using Substitute, I personally like Focus Sash, but then some people will say if you aren't really using Substitute, you might as well use Raikou.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)