ORAS Doubles OU Keldeo And Metagross Doubles Beginners Team

Hi. I would like some help on improving my team, as I want to begin competitive play. This is my first post, so please be easy on me if I made any mistakes.

Keldeo-Resolute @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Substitute
- Calm Mind

My Keldeo is a special sweeper that I use to sweep through the first few pokemon on the opposition's team (usually including a mega) and has Mega Metagross to deal with its weak spots. [1] He can easily sweep through Mega's thanks to scald, which he uses then switches out with (usually to azumarill). [2] It can easily handle a lot of common setup pokemon avoiding the need to fight strong over buffed pokemon. [3]

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Rock Polish
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Grass Knot

I needed a pokemon to cover Keldeo's weaknesses, and the obvious choice was Mega Metagross. It was also the best in my opinion.[1] He can setup with rock polish while keldeo handles the battlefield and then sweep through the harder and tougher pokemon. [2] He often outspeeds other pokemon after a use or two of rock polish. [3]

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Roost

When either of my front runners die, I often send in talonflame. Its brave bird is a great revenge kill move that often OHKO's a lot of common sweepers. [1] Roost can be used in emergencies after switching in on low health. Of course, I immediately switch out afterwards as it would be defenceless without any attacking moves. [2] It is also useful as a pivot pokemon, thanks to U-turn. [3]

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Waterfall

Azumarill is a Bulky Physical Sweeper. I use it to deal with other Bulky Physical Sweepers, Like some Mega Kangaskhans. [1] Knock Off is a great move as it allows you to remove important parts of certain strategies by removing the items involved in them, stopping teams very quickly. [2] Huge power is an insanely good ability, doubling my Azumarill's attack by two! This helps slice physical
walls in half. [3]

Gothitelle @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick

Gothitelle is a wall breaker/support Pokemon. She uses Psyshock to destroy Special Walls. [1] Thunder bolt has great coverage, heavy hitting pokemon like Gyarados, Togekiss and azumarill. [2] Trick is to lock physical sweepers into a single move. [3]

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Another revenge killer, scizor's choice band allows him to quickly smash through opponents, with great force. He often uses Superpower to do so. [1] U-turn is a great pivot/revenge kill move that is great is well timed. [2] However, I believe that Scizor is the weak link in my team.

Remember this is my first RMT so I may have made mistakes. I apologize if there are any.

Thank you!

hey buddy ! whats up? really glad you want to join our doubles community !

greetings asides, and getting on to the team, there are positive and negative notes

to begin optimistacally, you have decently viable members, or at least half of them . metakeldeo is a known proven core, which is solid , and talonflame is equally good. however, the sets you chose arent exactly the strongest ones.

i will begin with critising now:

the most basic thing about doubles is having protect. protect allows you to waste trickroom/tailwind/rain/sun/sand turns, protect an ally while its teammate does the work, and shut down predicted double targetting, giving you a free turn, thus it is super important to have.

in this meta, grass knot does not really hit strong, or at least doesnt have a specific target that justifies its use, thus i recomend removing it for protect. setting up is also very difficult in doubles due to double targetting, and the meta being a fast paced one, thus rock polish isnt very viable. there are multiple options here. you could opt for a third attack : hammer arm(to hit mega kangaskhan, heatran, etc..) or ice punch for landorus therian or bullet punch, if you dislike speed tying with mega diancie and would like to keep the speed. another possibility among many is substitute, avoiding sucker punches. metagross also appreciates a jolly nature (+speed ; - spatk ) over a naughty one

while scald is indeed usable on keldeo, it misses out on very important 2hkos or ohkos, like on charizard-y, which you would otherwise pick up while weakned. thus hydro pump > scald gives you great fire power. keldeo also appreciates a timid (+speed ; -atk) . you can now run protect > calm mind for the same reason rock polish was removed. i recomend having taunt as keldeo's last move to shut down trick room, or quick guard to annoy thundurus and talonflame, which both annoy your team plenty.

as for talonflame, you may keep it, but i recomend taunt > u turn in case of quick guard to keldeo, or maybe will-o-wisp, quick guard, tailwind.

regarding azumarill , i'd personally go for thundurus > azumarill instead if you insist on having dual water, for the reason that it beats both thundurus and talonflame, which bop all three of the pokemon you have so far. you can have a bulky thundurs, spreading thunderwaves, and taunt (thus freeing up both keldeo and talonflames slots) . giving it safety goggles also renders it an amoonguss check.

instead of the last two pokemon, which arent exactly doubles ou viable, i recomend landorus-therian and hydreigon/kyurem black. to not be tyranic/absurd/absurd, i will explain why scizor and gothitelle are unviable. while they might seem viable on paper, gothitelle is outclassed usually at performing its role, cresselia for trick room setting, for bulk, latios/gardevoir for offensive presence, even sylveon can muster to do more things. psyshock can be utilised on those pokemon, as well as hp fire, and there are much more hard hitters. it also has a low speed, is hoopa and bisharp weak. scizor seems good on paper, and might have a niche i suppose, like gothitelle's shadow tag which gives it usage, but the common heat wave/fire type taking it out makes it a bit of too weak in general, since most doubles ou teams have fire types. choice band limits it a lot as well. its medium speed makes it hard to keep in when a fire type comes in, and with this being doubles (aka a lot of hard switches and pivots), fire types come in often. it also loses to speed control, and is burned easily. i know these are the general physical pokemon weaknesses, but scizor is very vulnerable. it also doesnt take a hydro pump, etc ... well.

landorus therian would be your pivot , with u turn, semi sun check with rock slide, superpowering kangaskhan, and with 2 levitators afford earthquaking , giving you spread damage. its very powerful too. 212 speed to get a slower u turn vs other landorus, very helpful for momentum.
hydreigon is another sun check (metakeldeo dislikes sun plenty), levitator, a nice pair with megametagross, dark stab to hit trick room. you can run earthpower/tailwind as third choice for either speed or hitting fire types (especially volcanion and heatran).

the new team:

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 16 HP / 240 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Iron Head
- Substitute
- Zen Headbutt

Keldeo-Resolute @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Taunt
- Hydro Pump
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Tailwind
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Protect

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 244 HP / 108 Def / 64 SpA / 72 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
swb's rate is a good one by all means, I just have a few switches to add on top of his own.

The final team of megagross/keld/lando/hydrei/talon/thundy is still rather weak to opposing lando t and latios, you should drop substitute on metagross for ice punch. If you don't follow this suggestion, at least replace iron head with meteor mash on subgross, the attack boosts can be very important in recovering from an intimidate or sweeping once you've gotten a sub up.

More optimizations:
lando t's ev spread is outdated, it hits the speed benchmark of mega manectric of all things, which has only really seen usage in early 2015. A newer one is 56 HP / 212 Atk / 56 Def / 184 Spe, which passes the more relevant mega gengar and survives a +1 life orb bisharp iron head. Alternately, you can go 4hp/252atk/252spe to speed tie other scarf landos.

give hydreigon earth power>tailwind, give talon tailwind>will o wisp. Since you have both nonhammer arm metagross and talonflame, both sub heatran and volcanion can be scary even with 2 ways of killing both. Hydreigon naturally walls both, so adding ep just makes it a little easier to deal with them if lando dies early. Also, wow talon is only really useful on teams weak to kanga, which lando+keld+metagross should deal with well enough, so you can put your tailwind there.

outside of that, cool team man :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)