VGC Kommo-o VGC ranked team

Good evening lovelies! I've been working on a team which I really want to have a Kommo-o core, which I don't see all too often! Please forgive me for missing anything, this is my first post here!

Kommo-o @ Throat Spray
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 130 HP / 252 SpA / 126 SpD
Timid Nature
- Clangorous Soul
- Clanging Scales
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon

Reasoning:
Feeling almost nostalgic from the SM era, I love the idea of using Kommo-o with clangorous soul. Buffing every stat by one level seems pretty good all around, bring up speed, def and most importantly special defence (vs nasty fairies). The throat spray further buffs Kommo-o's special attack by 1 stage for a total of +2 SpAtk for Kommo-o. I made the EV spread maximise SpAtk to capitalise on these buffs, as I want Kommo-o to be a nasty opposing force. I added EV's into HP and SpDef to try and help tank off the 1/3 hp loss and any potential fairies who may try for an early attack. The movespread had particular moves, being Clanging scales to get good damage on dragapult and hydreigon, while getting some hefty STAB damage. Flamethrower is used for taking on some common steel type pokemon such as corviknight. Flash cannon is my main weapon against fairies.

Toxtricity-Gmax @ Choice Specs
Ability: Punk Rock
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Boomburst
- Overdrive
- Sludge Bomb
- Volt Switch

Reasoning:
I love toxtricity. I think it has a really cool and unique design and an equally awesome G-Max form. The G-max Stun Shock works really nicely and has potential to paralyse opponents. It has a high special attack which, combined with choice specs, makes for a really powerful wallbreaker. I chose to have Boomburst as a large and powerful finale, combined with the Punk Rock ability deals large amounts of damage. Overdrive hits both enemies with some nice STAB damage, dishing out guaranteed OHKO's to full SpDef and Hp pokemon like Corviknight!
Calculation

Togekiss @ Scope Lens
Ability: Super Luck
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Dazzling Gleam
- Fire Blast
- Follow Me

Reasoning:
Togekiss is the best friend of almost everybody on this team. Follow me is a great way to either secure a knockout on an enemy or for pokemon such as Kommo-o to get their buffs up and running. I chose doubling up on the critical chances for the extra potential damage. I usually use Togekiss having Follow me turn 1. This allows for my pokemon to get their buffs off, paralyse or poison enemies with no disruption. If Togekiss faints, it gives me a devent pivot into a counter to the enemies' setup. If he does not faint and has decent HP left, I use G-max airstream to bring my sweeper's speed up a by a stage.

Dracovish @ Choice Band
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Fishious Rend
- Iron Head
- Crunch

Reasoning:
I love Dracovish. Fishious Rend seems to take out everything and anything it comes up againts. Benefitting from speed boosts provided by either Whimsicott or Togekiss (depending on my lead) I decided to move with Choice band and Strong Jaw. He is an amazing physical wallbreaker, and has a nice spread of moves which I can choose between depending on my opponent's team composition.

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Energy Ball
- Trick Room
- Tailwind

Reasoning:
Whimsicott is one of the most fun pokemon I have in this team right now. A fantastic support pokemon for faster teams. By having both trick room and tailwind in the moveset, I can choose to either buff my own team or try to counter an enemy's use of the move. I think this can be very beneficial and really helps me counter trick room teams by making the speed priority as it should be. I love the use of Moonblast to try and reduce enemy special attack. I know my pokemon lack a bit of special wall capability, so I love using Whimsicott to help the rest of my team. I have Energy Ball to help against rain teams and the bane of my life - Gastrodon

Charizard-Gmax @ Assault Vest
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast
- Hurricane

Reasoning:
Charizard is one of my tankier pokemon. If I don't G-max toxtricity, then Charizard can be very beneficial to fill holes in my team. He has his Gmax move which deals large amounts of damage to enemies over time. His use of hurricane shows to be a powerful move to use both Gmaxed and not, vs rain teams the 100% hit is always pleasent. The confusion chance is also very strong and I like to buff my speed if I do G-max

Known weaknesses:

Gastrodon - My team struggles to take down some rain teams that have a gastrodon. Whimsicott as a lead takes a lot of damage from Ice type moves and doesn't usually last very long. Having it as my only grass move using pokemon, I do struggle against this pokemon

WP Excadrill / Rhyperior - A lot of my team take too much damage from these pokemon and can't usually seem to take them out with one shot so, one the enemy dynamaxes, that's curtains for my team.

Gmax Lapras - A specially defensive pokemon. My only physical sweeper, being Dracovish, struggles to do damage against this pokemon. If I don't bring my Toxtricity, this pokemon is basically a brick wall. The free setup of aurora veil really hinders a lot of my pokemon and Lapras itself does very well against my core of Kommo-o

Please feel free to rip into this team as much as you would like! I'm really looking forward to any sort of constructive criticism about this team. If possible, I really would like to keep with the Kommo-o core, but I'll consider everything I read

I have a problem with a few different things on this team, and I am not sure that there is just one way to fix it. Best thing I think I can do is go down every pokemon and see where corrections or potential problems are.

First Kommo-o has weird EVs just in the fact that 130 and 126 aren't divisible by 4. I think that the way you built your Kommo-o is not how it should be done you are trying to make Kommo-o good vs fairies when the rest of the team should be able to deal with Kommo-o's weaknesses not Kommo-o himself. Realistically running Bulk and Flash Cannon aren't things that are going to work vs Fairies anyways unless you maybe plan on Dynamaxing it meaning that you can't use Clangorous Soul to get +1 to all stats if you Dynamax turn 1.

252 SpA Togekiss Dazzling Gleam vs. 132 HP / 124 SpD Kommo-o: 168-196 (100.5 - 117.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Kommo-o Flash Cannon vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Togekiss: 76-90 (47.2 - 55.9%) -- 71.5% chance to 2HKO
0- Atk Pixilate Sylveon Quick Attack vs. 132 HP / 0 Def Kommo-o: 64-76 (38.3 - 45.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Kommo-o Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Sylveon: 68-80 (33.6 - 39.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

I would change Kommo-o's ability to Soundproof at least that way you might be able to have a chance against Sylveon since Hyper Voice I imagine does a ton of damage to you.

Toxtricity set seems fine, just be aware that you are not getting a specs boost or punk rock boost while in Dynamax. Also maybe consider picking one or the other between Toxtricity and Zard as they both really want your Dynamax.

Togekiss set or Critkiss is pretty standard, nothing wrong here, but why Fire Blast over something like Heat Wave?

Dracovish is fine, although I don't think that Outrage is good when it stops you from switching out and you can't choose your own target. Personally I would either go for a Jolly Dracovish or maybe a Scarf for the item.

Whimsicott already has sash so I don't think you need bulk, but if that is what you want then keep it. However, why are you running Bold you should really be running Timid nature on Whimsicott.

Lastly is the Charizard personally I am not sure that AV Zard is the set to run. Charizard seems like it would be better fast and Rain teams aren't good or common so I would honestly go for Air Slash over Hurricane. I'm not 100% sure why Focus Blast on Charizard, but it seems like it works, however I don't think Dragon Pulse helps you at all so instead I would consider something like Solar Beam. Solar Beam allows you to max overgrowth and that would help vs Gastrodon. Also Gastrodon isn't ran on rain teams that would actually be really bad since it stops them from using their water moves.

I think that Physical Kommo-o is a change worth considering to give yourself another physical attacker, and it should function better vs Excadrill and Rhyperior.

Toxtricity should be okay if you need to damage Lapras, but the best strategy is to ignore it. The best way to handle a Lapras is take out it's partners and stall it's Dynamax, and you should probably be running Protect on your pokemon.

Really cool team, but I have to agree some of these sets don't make a whole lot of sense.

I personally don't have a huge issue with the item choice in Zard, but the spread makes no sense. You really want Zard to be fast given that speed boosts are immediate now, meaning Max Airstreams will likely make its partner act before its opponents. There's also a load of relevant threats that speedless Zard gets outsped by, for example your set gets outsped by Jolly Tyranitar which is popping up a lot at the moment (the team that peaked #1 on the battle stadium ladder used it) which obviously you don't want to happen. Also plenty of base 80-90 Pokemon are running max speed, like Togekiss, Rotom, Excadrill and Venusaur. I would really say you want to hit a stat of at least 155 (164 Speed EVs Timid nature) to outspeed Jolly Excadrill out of sand. You could also hit a speed stat of 163 (228 Speed EVs Timid nature) to outrun max speed Mimikyu and Togedemaru, and simultaneously max speed base 95s like Arcanine so you can get an attack off before taking a Snarl. At that point though, I would argue you might as well 24 additional EVs to speed tie with other base 100s. Your decision on which speed stat you want to hit should depend on which mons are most threatening and whether you need the EVs you would save to hit defensive/offensive benchmarks. Those benchmarks also depend on your team.

Additionally Focus Blast and Dragon Pulse make little sense. The main target for Focus Blast would be Tyranitar, which in the sand even if you're max sp.atk (timid) a no bulk Tyranitar survives around 30% of the time. Not to mention 30% of the time you miss, and given the fact that Max Knuckle is capped at 95 base power that will be doing even less. Focus Blast would make a lot more sense if you had a sun setter since a Max Knuckle in the sun with a Solar Power boost OHKOs any Tyranitar (except AV Ttar). Even then it's very situational but might be worth the moveslot. Dragon Pulse on the other hand I don't think there are any situations where this is particularly needed. In most scenarios you would rather just fire off a G-Max Wildfire or Airstream.

I would personally say Heat Wave and Solar Beam would be much better in those slots on this team. Heat Wave giving a spread option outside of Dynamax and Max Overgrowth giving you an option against Gastrodon and other bulky waters (though again you might just want to smack those with airstreams for the speed boost instead). Also Solar Power is strictly better than Blaze. I also think the 10 BP difference between Max Hurricane and Max Air Slash isn't worth the accuracy drop, particularly considering it is 50% accurate in Sun which is typically where Zard thrives. That being said, Blast Burn might be worth running over flamethrower for the additional 10 BP Max Wildfire and the potential end game nuke once G-Max runs out.

Spent longer on just Zard than I thought so I'll be more brief on the other mons.

Copy and pasting what I said about max offense Togekiss on another RMT
'I personally don't love super offensive Togekiss, I think a little bit of bulk can help quite a bit. My personal spread is 116 HP EVs (again hits a 175 HP stat) and 28 SpDef EVs. This makes both Jolly Excadrill's Iron Head as well as Timid LO Rotom's Thunderbolt a 6.3% chance to OHKO rather than over a 50% chance. Taking that out of special attack doesn't change the offensive calcs an awful lot.'
Also yeah Heat Wave is better than Fire Blast to get past redirection and smack Durant.

Iron Head on Dracovish doesn't make sense. It would be better to lock yourself in to Fishious Rend 90% of the time when you would even consider clicking it. Other options for this slot would be Psychic Fangs to break screens or Sleep Talk so that Gravnosis/Sleep Powder are a bit less infuriating. Outrage isn't the best move either, but to be fair it does OHKO Dragapult while something like Ice Fang doesn't.

Throat Spray + Clangorous Soul seems overkill and counter intuitive. The turn you're clicking clangorous scale, surely it would just be better to get your throat spray boost immediately. Clangorous Soul in general just doesn't seem like a great move in doubles. Also the spread looks random.

Reversing Trick Room with Whimsicott seems helpful on paper, but it's a bit too frail to do this reliably and in a best of 3 when your opponent knows it has Trick Room they can easily play around it. It also has plenty of other fantastic support moves for this slot that would likely prove more helpful in more matchups.

Hey man, interesting things, but also the set and also the main coverage aren't fix well. So let's start to analize everything:
-)Kommo-o is an interesting pokemon, but the main problem are fairy type: in the odiern VGC Togekiss is in 50% of the team, also mimi, primarina.. A lot of lapras also, who can kill you so easy and you can't touch. So my bad i think Kommo-o isn't viable, 'cause his weekness.
-) I really love Toxtricity g-max and the core with whimsicott: a pretty duo who can do really interesting damage. The double type of tox is important to attack fairy, water, grass, but he is really weak about exca, another big threat in VGC. So for you i think about this set:

Toxtricity-Gmax @ Shuca Berry
Level: 50
EVs: 76 HP / 20 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 156 Spe
Modest Nature
- Overdrive
- Sludge Bomb
- Snarl
- Protect

Let's explain: 114 Speed in tailwind to outspeed dragapult, with Shuca Berry and 76 HP / 20 Def in gmax form you don't die with High Horsepower Excadrill. Don't use Choice Specs, because if u dynamax it you "loose" the effect.
-)Whimsicott is a great supporter of Tox with this set:

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Tailwind
- Moonblast
- Fake Tears
- Protect

A combination of Fake Tears and Tox is lethal. Really powerful believe me. Protect to scout the Fake Out of opponent, and Max SAtk to do more damage. Whimsi isn't bulky, not use EVs in HP
-)Toge is the most common pokemon for his various usage. A great offensive toge is great, move are good, but maybe fix the EVs spread: personally i use EVs: 124 HP / 180 SpA / 204 Spe Modest Nature. With Dynamax the EVs in HP is enough to resist with Max Steelspike of Excadrill, and the EVs in Spe to arrive at 126, Speed tie with Alcremie.
-)With tailwind Dracovish is a monster, so is perfect with whimsi and support of para Tox. Don't use Iron Head, maybe Rock Slide is a better choice, and Dragon Rush>Outrage, is important to target the right one (outrage is randomic lol)
-)Charizard isn't a great choice with assault vest, because is not a bulky pokemon, and also a protect in one of your main dynamax is important. But in this team you don't really need another offensive mon, also i think a trickroom abuser is better for your plan, because you lack about it.

So I advise with 2 option to replace Kommo-o and Charizard : Mimikyu to reverse the Trick Room and he has a great Ghost STAB. Ferrothorn in this team is important in two different situation, because he help you to counter Rotom-W and Gastrodon, the mainly threat for this team, and also he helps you to abuse in case of Trick Room.

Mimikyu @ Lum Berry
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Trick Room
- Phantom Force
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak

Ferrothorn @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 204 HP / 140 Atk / 164 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Iron Head
- Body Press
- Power Whip
- Assurance

Hope you to enjoy with this little change ;)

Max Speed Jolly/Timid Dragapult hit 213 so since Tailwind doubles your speed you actually only need 107 Spe which is 92 EVs to outspeed under Tailwind. This also means that you can get more EVs for bulk allowing you to go from living a High Horsepower to living a Max Quake.

EVs: 84 HP / 76 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 92 Spe
Modest Nature
- Overdrive
- Sludge Bomb
- Snarl
- Protect

252 Atk Excadrill Max Quake (130 BP) vs. 84 HP / 76 Def Shuca Berry Toxtricity: 272-324 (84.4 - 100.6%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Excadrill High Horsepower vs. 84 HP / 76 Def Shuca Berry Toxtricity: 265-312 (82.2 - 96.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Excadrill High Horsepower vs. 84 HP / 76 Def Shuca Berry Toxtricity: 204-240 (63.3 - 74.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

60 HP / 100 Def is also an option if you want to guarantee the Max Quake won't OHKO you

252 Atk Excadrill Max Quake (130 BP) vs. 60 HP / 100 Def Shuca Berry Toxtricity: 266-314 (84.1 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Hey man, interesting things, but also the set and also the main coverage aren't fix well. So let's start to analize everything:
-)Kommo-o is an interesting pokemon, but the main problem are fairy type: in the odiern VGC Togekiss is in 50% of the team, also mimi, primarina.. A lot of lapras also, who can kill you so easy and you can't touch. So my bad i think Kommo-o isn't viable, 'cause his weekness.
-) I really love Toxtricity g-max and the core with whimsicott: a pretty duo who can do really interesting damage. The double type of tox is important to attack fairy, water, grass, but he is really weak about exca, another big threat in VGC. So for you i think about this set:

EVs: 76 HP / 20 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 156 Spe
Modest Nature
- Overdrive
- Sludge Bomb
- Snarl
- Protect

Let's explain: 114 Speed in tailwind to outspeed dragapult, with Shuca Berry and 76 HP / 20 Def in gmax form you don't die with High Horsepower Excadrill. Don't use Choice Specs, because if u dynamax it you "loose" the effect.
-)Whimsicott is a great supporter of Tox with this set:

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Tailwind
- Moonblast
- Fake Tears
- Protect

A combination of Fake Tears and Tox is lethal. Really powerful believe me. Protect to scout the Fake Out of opponent, and Max SAtk to do more damage. Whimsi isn't bulky, not use EVs in HP
-)Toge is the most common pokemon for his various usage. A great offensive toge is great, move are good, but maybe fix the EVs spread: personally i use EVs: 124 HP / 180 SpA / 204 Spe Modest Nature. With Dynamax the EVs in HP is enough to resist with Max Steelspike of Excadrill, and the EVs in Spe to arrive at 126, Speed tie with Alcremie.
-)With tailwind Dracovish is a monster, so is perfect with whimsi and support of para Tox. Don't use Iron Head, maybe Rock Slide is a better choice, and Dragon Rush>Outrage, is important to target the right one (outrage is randomic lol)
-)Charizard isn't a great choice with assault vest, because is not a bulky pokemon, and also a protect in one of your main dynamax is important. But in this team you don't really need another offensive mon, also i think a trickroom abuser is better for your plan, because you lack about it.

So I advise with 2 option to replace Kommo-o and Charizard : Mimikyu to reverse the Trick Room and he has a great Ghost STAB. Ferrothorn in this team is important in two different situation, because he help you to counter Rotom-W and Gastrodon, the mainly threat for this team, and also he helps you to abuse in case of Trick Room.

Mimikyu @ Lum Berry
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Trick Room
- Phantom Force
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak

Ferrothorn @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 204 HP / 140 Atk / 164 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Iron Head
- Body Press
- Power Whip
- Assurance

Hope you to enjoy with this little change ;)
Honestly, thank you for this sir. This breakdown is amazing and really helpful for me :) I appreciate this quite a lot, as you've kind of made me realise that maybe Kommo-o isn't the best pokemon to be using right now. This should be a load better, so thanks again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)