Pokémon Kyurem-Black (Revamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved by AM
Taken over from Salt

Kyurem-Black
Type: Dragon / Ice

Stats: 125 HP / 170 Atk / 100 Def / 120 SpA / 90 SpD / 95 Spe

Ability: Teravolt (Moves can be used on the target regardless of its Abilities)

Notable Moves: (Bold indicates STAB)
Ice Beam
Fusion Bolt
Earth Power
Outrage
Dragon Claw
Roost
Substitute
Iron Head

Overview
Ever since dropping down from Ubers mid BW, Kyurem-Black has been one of OU's premier wallbreakers and a real threat to prepare for in the ORAS metagame. Boasting insane 170 / 120 attack stats, Kyurem is sure to hit hard. Kyurem's coverage is also exceptional, allowing him to dismantle popular defensive cores such as VenuTran and Mega Altaria/Slowbro/Heatran, as well as blast past Chansey with Outrage. Kyurem-B is surprisingly bulky as well and has Roost to stay healthy throughout the match.

However, Kyurem-B is not without it's flaws. Kyurem has a Stealth Rock weakness, limiting its longevity. Despite having a massive 170 Attack stat, Kyurem has a pathetic physical movepool, consisting of Outrage, Dragon Claw, Fusion Bolt, and Iron Head, Kyurem is forced to use it's weaker 120 SpA stat to succeed. Dragon/Ice is quite weak defensively, so teams will nearly always have a way to deal with Kyu-B. Additionaly, Kyurem is weak to common priority moves such as Bullet Punch and Mach Punch, so it is easy to revenge-kill. Kyu-B is also quite slow, often needing a free switchin in order to wreak havoc.

Despite these shortcomings, however, Kyurem-B has the tools it needs to succeed in the OU metagame.

Good Sets

Special Attacker
Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 56 Atk / 216 SpA / 236 Spe
IVs: 29 HP
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Roost/Outrage

This is without a doubt Kyurem-B's best set in the OU metagame. Ice Beam is the primary STAB of this set, allowing Kyu-B to blast past common walls such as Hippowdon, Celebi, and Gliscor. Earth Power hits Steels such as Heatran and Bisharp, as well as nailing Rotom-W due to Teravolt. Fusion Bolt takes care of bulky Waters such as Azumarill, Suicune, and Slowbro. The last slot depends on what your team needs. Roost allows Kyurem to stay healthy throughout the match, but if your team struggles with Chansey Outrage can be used instead. 236 Speed EVs let Kyurem outspeed positively natured based 80s. The rest are dumped into Attack to give maximum damage output. 29 HP IVs let Kyurem hit the Life Orb number. Hidden Power Fire can also be used for Ferrothorn and Scizor switch-ins, this variant also works well with Mega Diancie, as it can remove these walls for a Diancie sweep.

Substitute
Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
EVs: 56 HP / 216 SpA / 236 Spe
Mild Nature
- Substitute
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt/Roost

This set gives Kyurem-B a buffer to it's common weaknesses and lets it pick apart the opposing team. This set works well against slower teams, as Kyurem can
dismantle the core for a sweeper to power through. Sub lets Kyu-B ease prediction, while the final three moves maximize coverage. Even without investment, Fusion Bolt still hurts, but Roost can be used instead to continually make Subs. The HP EVs ensure the Substitute is not broken by Seismic Toss.

Choice Scarf
Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 224 Atk / 32 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Iron Head/Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Outrage/Dragon Claw

With a Choice Scarf equipped, Kyurem-B becomes a terror for offensive teams to face. Choice Scarf Kyurem-B hits 472 Speed, enough to outpace positively-natured base 150 Speed and below, as well as +1 Mega Zard X, +1 Volcarona, and Scarf Landorus-T. The moves are standard and maximize coverage so Kyurem can be efficient as possible. Iron Head 2HKO's Clefable and other fairies, who can otherwise be a good stop to it. Outrage dents or outright kills anything save fairies and steels.

Conclusion
Ever since dropping down from Ubers Kyurem-B has been a major threat. Are there any other viable sets Kyurem-B can run? What niches does Kyurem-B bring to the OU meta? Discuss!

Last edited:

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Slash Iron Head behind Ice Beam on the Scarf set, it 2HKOs Clefable & other Fairies, which can otherwise be a good stop to it.

Scarf seems to have the noted benchmark off.

Base 150 positive w/ max investment hits 438. Jolly Max Scarf Lando-T hits 463, while the current Scarf Kyu-B set hits 465, tying with Zard-X and Volcarona, who invest to creep Lando-T at +1. Upping the speed to 228 would allow Scarf Kyu-B to outpace them by one point and smack them with Outrage without risking the tie.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I just run max speed on Scarf Kyurem-B it's stupid to get into speed tie games with +1 Volcarona and Char-X when you'll just beat those players that do the little Lando-T speed creep shenanigans of hitting only 310 letting you take them out with Outrage. I personally like investing attack more with a spread of 224 Atk / 32 SpA / 252 Speed Naive but it can be changed around depending on team needs and what you need to hit harder. Full attack is nice for stuff like Slowbro, Heatran and I find a lot more teams are cleaned off by more physical variants than special ones. I mean the logic is that you want to invest in both the attack and special attack when running more special attack which makes sense but I prefer this on Life Orb variants and I usually have an easier time breaking and cleaning up against fat waters going more physically offensive. I guess it's a team dependent thing but just my thoughts on that.

AV Kyu-B was used early ORAS as a check to Greninja, but I talked to some people and they said it isn't very viable now.
A general statement like "I talked to some people and they said it wasn't very viable now," isn't exactly stellar reasoning against the set. The AV set is most certainly viable as it already has a massive HP stat and very reasonable sDef, meaning that any sDef Evs that you invest put in a massive amount of work.

Now as far as far as the set is concerned, there are a few schools of thought, the first is to sacrifice some speed (running 148 + a neutral nature) so that you out-speed Bisharp and friends, but still have a heavy amount of bulk, potential sets include:

Specially Based:

Kyurem-Black @ Assault Vest
Ability: Terravolt
Nature: Mild
Evs: 148 Spe / 252 SpA / 108 Sdef
Moves:
Ice Beam
Earth Power
Draco Meteor / Dragon Claw / Flash Cannon
Fusion Bolt

Physically Based:

Nature: Lonely
Evs: 148 Spe / 252 Atk / 108 Sdef
Moves:
Fusion Bolt
Dragon Claw / Outrage
Ice Beam
Earth Power / Iron Head

These two sets as mentioned above, out speed Jolly base 70 speed Pokemon, such as Bisharp, maximize the attacking stat they are most invested in, and put the rest in Sdef to get the most out of the Assault Vest.

The other school of thought is to run max speed so that you out-speed positive base 80's and at leaste speed tie with opposing neutral base 90's (mostly other Kyurem).

Specially Based:

Nature: Mild
Evs: 252 Spe / 252 SpA / 4 Sdef
Moves:
Ice Beam
Earth Power
Draco Meteor / Dragon Claw / Flash Cannon
Fusion Bolt

Physically Based:

Nature: Lonely
Evs: 252 Spe / 252 Atk / 4 Sdef
Moves:
Fusion Bolt
Dragon Claw / Outrage
Ice Beam
Earth Power / Iron Head

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Yeah AV set has a lot of variation. The SPL dump thread shows a good example of one and I used one awhile back to account for stuff like Focus Blast Thundurus, M-Gardevoir, and Char-Y among other things in one package. Not to keen on the idea of there being a concrete spread but that's just a though to take into consideration.

Edit: Oh and wasn't advocating using my spread on Scarf Kyurem-B rofl. I would go on the analysis being written up in OU analysis thread and read ben gays QC check for it. He has some good comments that can be applied here.

Yeah AV set has a lot of variation. The SPL dump thread shows a good example of one and I used one awhile back to account for stuff like Focus Blast Thundurus, M-Gardevoir, and Char-Y among other things in one package. Not to keen on the idea of there being a concrete spread but that's just a though to take into consideration.

Edit: Oh and wasn't advocating using my spread on Scarf Kyurem-B rofl. I would go on the analysis being written up in OU analysis thread and read ben gays QC check for it. He has some good comments that can be applied here.
Yeah absolutely, with something as specific as AV, there are certainly a vast quantity of spreads you can run depending on the needs of your team. I was just listing a number of simple and effective sets that have some good reasoning behind the evs/moves.

Reactions: AM
Just my note: Dragon Claw and Iron Head should be slashed with EP on the scarf set (remove it from ice beam, you kinda need it for Lando, Gliscor etc and for the BoltBeam coverage).

Is a Band set viable?
I don't think Kyurem-B can manage a Choice set besides Scarf too well.

His physical pool lacks particularly good coverage (really tough to break Steels like Ferrothorn) already, he has all of maybe 4 viable physical options, and one thing that makes Kyurem-B hard to switch into is being able to threaten with his mixed coverage all at once. All his moves are good, but are also exploitable if he's locked into them because of his speed tier and their types.

Made changes to scarf set. s0me1 b0red I'm not so sure that Dragon Claw is worth mentioning in Scarf, because Outrage hits much harder and Iron Head/Earth Power is needed for coverage. Keep the suggestions coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)