lance would be proud - an OU dragmag team

Herro there :) nmitchell890 here with a favourite team of his to share with you all. Having only used this team to get to around the 1700 mark, I haven't had it for too long but I have enjoyed every second of it. Which is unlike me because I normally prefer stall lol. Anyway, here comes the dramatic speech...

When they first started in RBY, the dragon tribe was very sparsely populated, the only true dragon was Dragonite and the only dragon move was Dragon Rage, which lacks a base power. The champion of pokemon, Lance, was the origional dragon trainer, he had 3 Dragonite and filled the rest of his team slots with pokemon that looked like dragons. Then came GSC, this was also a sad time for the dragon tribe, the only addition to the dragon tribe was Altaria and lots of new steel type enemies were introduced, including Skarmory and Forretress. RSE showed the first baby steps towards the rise for the dragons, new dragons were introduced and some were banished to Ubers for the first time. Also new were dragon moves other than Dragon Rage, although they were all special which prevented Dragonite and the new hats Salamence and Flygon from really taking the metagame by storm. All this changed when DPP was released, dragons exploded onto the scene and took complete control of the metagame. Ubers became the tier of the dragons, with the additions of Dialga, Palkia and Giratina to Rayquaza and the Lati@s twins, not much was around to stop them. Garchomp was also banned to Ubers, but not before making its mark on OU. Even Salamence, chief OU dragon from the previous era, managed to get the boot to Ubers. The physical-special split was a blessing for the dragon tribe, Outrage and Draco Meteor became powerful tools of destruction across all the tiers. Dragonite and Flygon came into their own towards the end of HGSS too. I suppose Magnezone deserves a special mention too for the unique support it can provide the dragons with, trapping and removing the steel types that resist their main attacks. With the introduction of BW, the dragon tribe recieved reinforcements from the likes of Haxorus and Hydreigon, and a lot of the dragons that were previously banned were allowed back into OU, even Latios was allowed to stay. That said, a new and formidable enemy was introduced in the form of Ferrothorn, a new steel that could stand up to the power of dragon type moves and retaliate. Garchomp was only banned temporarily, and the most powerful Outrage ever was introduced in BW2, it ended up being demoted to OU. Don't underestimate the power of Kyurem-B though, its Outrage is powerful enough to 2HKO Metagross and Heatran with just a Choice Band boost. Kyurem-W is able to tear Ubers to shreds with Draco Meteor alone, imagine what Outrage does here in OU. With everything that the dragon tribe has achieved since their introduction in RBY, Lance has good reason to be proud of the majestic beasts he revered.

Phew, that is over. You want to see the team itself now right?

Azelf @ Focus Sash
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Taunt
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock
- Zen Headbutt
Azelf is still the best dedicated lead allowed in OU. I said it when Deoxys-D was OU, I stand by that belief now. It is just so reliable at its job; setting up Stealth Rock and preventing the opponent from doing the same. And unlike the bulkier Mew, who is also an incredible lead imo, it stops lead Terrakion and Garchomp from setting up, at the cost of a weaker Explosion because it can't hold Normal Gem. Zen Headbutt is there for Terrakion, to do pretty big damage to it after Stone Edge activates Focus Sash. With a reliable lead such as this, I will have Stealth Rock up from the beginning, almost guaranteed.

Abomasnow (M) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 Atk / 144 SAtk / 112 Spd
Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
- Blizzard
- Ice Shard
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Wood Hammer
If I hadn't tried it, I wouldn't have believed its effectiveness. Mixed Abomasnow is incredible, and it does so much for this team. Ice Shard revenge kills dragons, Blizzard and Wood Hammer are powerful STAB moves while Hidden Power Fire hits the Scizor switch ins hard. Granted, it is completely walled by Heatran, but Heatran isn't a problem for a team with a Garchomp and Surf Latios on it. It provides support that its rivals can't, neither Mamoswine nor Weavile can switch into Rotom-W confidently or help control the weather. Abomasnow will likely be staying.

Magnezone @ Leftovers
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 36 HP / 252 SAtk / 220 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Charge Beam
What dragmag team is complete without a mag? Magnezone is obviously here to trap and KO steels, a job it has much more difficulty with than it did in GenIV. With the introduction of Team Preview, the opponent will see Magnezone and will spam U-Turn all game with Scizor, or try to catch it with double switches. Nevertheless, it does its job admirably well, everything from Ferrothorn to Jirachi to Scizor becomes set up fodder for Magnezone. I like to double switch between my dragons and Magnezone, trying to catch them coming in to absorb a hit for their team before running away in fear again. The mere presence of Magnezone is sometimes enough to place the opponent into a catch-22 situation.

Kyurem-B @ Choice Band
Trait: Teravolt
EVs: 108 HP / 252 Atk / 148 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Dragon Claw
Oh wow. What power! Yes, the most powerful Outrage is here to knock on the doors of your defences and break them down almost accidentally. Oops, I didn't mean to 2HKO your Heatran with Outrage, even I think that is a bit broken. Despite thinking that Kyurem-B would be Ubers if people realised its true potential, I'm still going to take advantage of the fact that it is allowed while I can. Granted, Kyurem-B is extremely slow and gets revenge killed by Keldeo/Terrakion like nothing. But by that point, it has already put something in the Pokemon Center. Forget Haxorus, Kyurem-B is where the real power is at.

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Surf
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Draco Meteor
A familiar face to dragmag, Latios makes an appearance on this team. It fills a lot of holes that need filling. For a start, it is the closest thing to a Breloom counter I have on this team, after Sleep Clause it only fears Low Sweep. Psyshock is so useful, it nets KOes on so many things that I lack coverage on otherwise. Surf catches Heatran and deals pretty good damage to Tyranitar, Hidden Power Fire is the best answer to Ferrothorn and Scizor that Latios can use. Draco Meteor is another wallbreaking tool on par with Outrage from Kyurem-B in terms of usefulness if not sheer power. It has so many little uses on this team that I doubt anything could do what Latios does as well.

Garchomp (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- Dual Chop
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
Surprisingly enough, I only have one user of Choice Scarf. But what a pokemon it is. Garchomp is the only pokemon to have been voted Ubers, then come back down after an alteration to the Evasion Clause. It has pretty much everything it could ask for, a killer STAB combination with powerful offensive stats, coupled with a high amount of bulk and a speed stat that makes Landorus-I and Thundurus-T everywhere cry. The main moves are Outrage and Earthquake, Dual Chop is used to break Substitute and to allow Garchomp to revenge kill with its dragon STAB without getting locked in. Stone Edge trolls Volcarona and flying types. I prefer the little bit of extra speed and the bulk that Garchomp brings to the table over MoxieMence, along with Stealth Rock resistance.

Well there you have it, my dragmag team. I hope that the further progress I make with it makes Lance even more proud than he already must be. Go ahead, borrow, rate, even steal if you like. But above all, enjoy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)