Latias, the Forgotten One (an OU RMT)

Latias, The Forgotten One

Latios & Latias, two dragons who have had their spot in the OU metagame since they were introduced in Generation 3. However, Latios has been much more popular, due to higher offensive stats. I decided to ignore Latios, and paid some attention to Latias' qualities, and build a team around it. I proudly present you (probably) my most succesful team yet!

Currently testing:
Tyranitar over Scizor
Heatran over Jirachi

Do I need to explain?
When building a team around one specific poke, you have to make sure you can beat it's counters. That's why I added Reuniclus as a lure.

Right now, I needed a hard-hitting Physical mon to get past special walls like Blissey.

With U-Turn, CB Scizor is a great scout. However, I decided that only with another scout, U-Turn/Volt Switch could be used to their full potential. That's why I added Rotom-W

Now, with my main sweeper, a lure for it's counters and a good scouting combo, I decided to add one physical and one special wall.

This team, having 2 common-seen combos(Scizor+Rotom-W and Rotom-W+Jirachi+Gliscor), has been unedited since then.

Without further ado, let's show the team!

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Dragon Pulse
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Roost

SubCM Latias has only a few common counters, including Tyranitar and Scizor (more about that later) It's typing makes it a perfect switch-in to pokes such as Rotom, Politoed and Heatran. The moves and EV's of this set are pretty straightforward. Dragon Pulse is it's only attacking move, and can 2HKO nearly anything at +6 except for Sp.Def bulky Ferrothorn, Blissey, Chansey and Sp.Def bulky Jirachi with Leftovers, and Bronzong. Calm Mind and Roost are both pretty obvious moves, and Substitute is there to block Status such as Poison and Paralysis. The EV's are chosen to give it maximum bulk to set up, while still having great speed to sweep.

Considering: Roar > Substitute

Reuniclus (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Trick Room
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psychic

Send this in on a free switch, Toxic, WoW, weak Fighting move, etc. when the opponent still has a Ttar or Scizor alive, Trick Room, and go for the move of choice. (Trust me, it's fun to roast an unexpecting Scizor with HP Fire). Psychic is my main STAB move, which can be useful against pokemon like Gliscor. Reuniclus sometimes manages to get off a mini sweep(untill TR lasts out), because it can essentially remove it's own counters. The EV's are chosen to give it maximum bulk, making Gliscor's EQ not even a 3HKO. Sp.Atk EV's are added to make his attacks more powerful, most noticeably making Focus Blast have a 74% chance to OHKO Sp.def bulky TTar with no prior damage

Considering: Psyshock > Psychic

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Scizor is the first half of my 'scouting core', and with a sky-high attack, U-Turn will deal massive damage to anything that doesn't quad resist it. Bullet Punch is another crucial move, as it is my only priority. Superpower is for Ttar and steels (although U-Turn is usually the better option). Pursuit is for ghosts and psychics, such as Latios, Gengar and Celebi trying to switch out fearing U-Turn. The EV's are chosen to give Scizor an odd HP stat to live Stealth Rock one more time, Attack is maxed for maximum damage output, and the rest is put in Speed.

Considering: Quick Attack > Pursuit

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Protect
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Facade

Gliscor doens't hold the #5 position for no reason. He can come in on nearly any physical threats not named Mamoswine or Weavile, and continue to spread status/deal damage from there. Protect is very useful move, as it allows Gliscor to regain health and scout moves. On Choied Rotom-W, especially, it is very useful. When they overpredict and lock themselves into Volt Switch, you just gave yourself a free turn, which enables you to Toxic something else. (Bar steel types, but that's why you've got EQ). I chose Facade over Ice Fang, because this team doesn't have much trouble with Dragons, but more with Rotom-W. Facade enables me to deal some damage, and I don't like to overpredict and lose one of my other pokes. The EV's are chosen to reach 244 speed, outspeeding max speed Jolly Ttar, which is always useful. I maxed HP and put the rest into Defense for maximum pysical bulkiness.

Considering: Ice Fang > Facade, Taunt > Protect

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 116 HP / 252 SAtk / 140 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Trick
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch

Rotom, one of the only Pokemons that can fit in nearly every team. I chose for the Trickscarf set because: a) I needed something fast, and b) I needed something to cripple walls such as Ferrothorn. Hidden Power Ice is for dragons such as Latios, and Hydro pump is it's most powerful attack, especially in the Rain. Volt Switch is great for scouting, and works extremely well with Scizor's U-Turn. EV's are chosen to outspeed +ve base 115's with the Scarf still equipped, Sp.Atk is maxed for maximum power, and the rest is put in HP to give it more bulk.

Considering: Something > HP Ice

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SDef / 32 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Iron Head
- Body Slam
- Fire Punch
- Wish

Jirachi is one of the best special walls in today's metagame, and he works great togheter with Gliscor and Rotom-W. Iron Head and Body Slam make the infamous paraflinching combo, being able to cripple many mons such as Tyranitar, Latios and Politoed. Fire Punch is to say goodbye to Magnezone, and Wish is for recovery for both Jirachi and teammates (most noticeably Rotom-W and Scizor) 252 HP EV's are there to make Jirachi bulkier and most importantly, making it's wishes bigger. 32 EV's are to outspeed Jolly max speed Ttar, and the rest is put in Sp.Def to give it an easier time against Latios, Thundurus and co.

Considering: SR > Fire Punch

So, please rate my team :D

This is a pretty good team. I would just suggest running physhock over psychic to catch the opponent off guard and take out specialy defensive pokemon that aren't expecting a physical attack. You also might wanna try roar over subsitute on Latias. This way if the opponent starts to set up you can roar them away. And If you do that you will always win calm mind fights with reunuculus because after he reaches five calm minds and maybe you reached four you could just roar it away and keep the calm minds. Trust me it gets people mad. But If you don't wanna take the suggestions thats fine cause this is already a good team.Well take the suggestions you like and leave the ones you don't.
-Good Luck.

Really Nice team! i love Latias too, and CM is a wonderful, if not the best, set for her.
Just 1 thing, i think that u could run HP Fire over Sub, cause it kills many of the pokes that gives u problem, Like Ferrorthorn, Bronzong or Jirachi!

Hi Chielee, this is a pretty nice team. Dual Psychic types is a really nice strategy in the current metagame. However, you're lacking any entry hazards which really are essential to this kind of teams function. In addition you're going to have problems with Sun teams since Latias is a reasonable check at best and you have no SR to wear down common Fire types.

My first suggestion is to use a physically defensive Skarmory over Gliscor. With your 2 Psychics Fighting types aren't an enormous issue while Skarmory still counters Excadrill and company. However, the Spikes that it sets up are extremely helpful for your Latias / Reuniclus offensive core especially if you use Roar on Latias, letting you quickly break down Tyranitar / Scizor rather than relying on them staying in on your Reuniclus after you Trick Room. The set is:

Skarmory @ Shed Shell (personal pref since Magnezone are everywhere recently)
Impish nature, 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
-Spikes
-Whirlwind
-Taunt (especially important for beating Ferrothorn)
-Roost
Second problems to address, sun teams and the lack of Stealth Rock. I'm going to suggest a specially defensive Heatran in place of your current Jirachi, since it is arguably the best sun counter in the metagame and can also reliably place SR early on.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Calm nature, 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 SpA
-Lava Plume
-Roar
-Stealth Rock
-Protect / Substitute
The only things you're really losing with this change are coverage vs Dragon Dancing dragons and against Thundurus. Because of Scizor the first isn't a problem, but to deal with Thundurus I think Gastrodon should work over Rotom-W (counters rain just as well and is a much better Thundurus counter than Jirachi). The set is:

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Calm nature, 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
-Scald
-Toxic
-Recover
-Ice Beam
Overall I think that these changes will improve your team a fair bit, although, its already decent as I said. Good luck :)

@GreasyPanda I've been trying Psyshock over Psychic, and it works pretty well. Substitute is just too valuable to pass. Without it, Latias can be poisoned/burned/paralyzed, which will dramatically hinder it's sweeping abilities.

@crazypippo92: Again, Sub is too valuable. Although, HP Fire on Latias is actually a really good idea! I might try it for a while, and maybe, just maybe, if it really works out, I'm gonna keep it.

@bubbly: Thanks for the rate man! Those suggestions look really good, I'm definitely gonna try those out. Although, I think I'm keeping Rotom-W, as the Volt Switch/U-Turn combo is really good.

Hey, nice team concept. For Latias, I suggest running recover over roost because roost makes you susceptible to earthquakes as you temporarily lose your levitate ability. I also think that taunt would be a better option over protect as it stops walls trying to set up hazards or status you. Good luck.

Hi Chiel, another great Benelux team ^^

Anyway, first of all I notice your lack of Stealth Rocks. Opposing weather teams can also be annoying as well. Rain sweepers can spam boosted Hydro Pump and once both your resists are gone they plow to your team. Sun teams can be difficult to handle as well, things like bulky Volcarona can sweep your team without to much trouble. To help you fix your problem with weather and a Stealth Rock user, I suggest Tyranitar instead of Scizor. A moveset of Stealth Rock / Crunch / Rock Slide / Flamethrower will suffice and a spread of 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef.
Now that you loose a somewhat physical heavy hitter in Scizor, you could try out Gliscor with Sword Dance instead of Toxic to make up for this loss.

Hope this suggestion helped and good luck with the team.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi its a really nice team you have here Chieliee so congrats on that!
Basically I can see certain steel types being troublesome to your team. Skarmory for example can freely switch in on Jirachi/Gliscor/Latias or even a Bullet Punch locked Scizor and lay down spikes to annoy Scizor and Jirachi. You might have HP Fire on Reuniclus to lure out and KO Scizor but the thing that worries me is that you lack a really good switch in to its Bug Bite. Heck its not even that hard to get it to set up on Latias or Gliscor easily sets up on Gliscor. Not a steel type but Volcarona is also a bitch as you lack Stealth Rock. Your only way of dealing it is to Trick it a Scarf with Rotom W which is hardy reliable.

To fix this I also suggest a Specially Defensive Heatran over Scizor. I know its part of your scouting core, however I feel that Jirachi and Scizor are checking similar things (Dragons, Rank) and that if you replace Jirachi, LO Latios becomes a bit more of an issue for you as again, its tough for you to switch in.

Bubbly posted the set above and here it is again for reference

Heatran @ Leftovers
Calm nature, 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 SpA
-Lava Plume
-Roar
-Stealth Rock
-Protect

This set really does fix up your problems against oposing Skarmory and Scizor as well as setting up Stealth Rocks and Roaring it out. I guess you could use Toxic over Protect if you wanted to beat last poke Morning Sun Volcarona but you have Rotom W to Trick that anyway. Heatran still checks Sun Teams pretty well. Between Latias/Rotom W/Heatran you have weather covered pretty well too.

Nice team, its really cool. I personally like Latias' too because she has the "slow and steady wins the race" feel over Latios' instant power. For Latias, I'd say Recover over Roost. Roost takes out your Levitate ability and makes you suseptable to eq. If you like Sub a lot, you can also try Refresh. It does the same thing, but whether or not it works in your playstyle is up to you. If you want rocks, take a look at the above suggestions, they help, but you can put sr on rachi because your Gliscor, Reuniclus, and Scizor take care of ferro nicely. If anything, Reuniclus sets up on any ferro. Not to mention, any magnezone except the Subchargebeam set is outstalled easily by the combination of body slam and wish. Iron Head makes the zone user think twice before fighting a long stall war, and ultimately losing.

Last words:
Recover over Roost on Latias
Refresh can potentially be over sub
Rocks can replace Fire Punch

Nice team!

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
For Latias, I'd say Recover over Roost. Roost takes out your Levitate ability and makes you suseptable to eq.
Hi id like to draw your attention to something THREE POSTS ABOVE

Roost doesn't get rid of Levitate. In fact, I use it because people think it does and then try to EQ me.

This might be awkward but have you ever thought about twave on latias and replacing fire punch or body slam with sr on jirachi? Thunderwave cripples scizor and tyranitar. Which allows reniculus to sweep easier. I think one psychic type needs to support the other or they will overlap roles and trip over eachother late game. Also stealth rock would greatly help reniculus sweep. A cm latias sweep is very difficult to pull off so I think the idea should be to help reniculus sweep first and leave latias last for the end. Good team.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hey,

Stealth Rock is a almost a necessity in this meta to keep huge threats like Volcarona, Thundurus and Dragonite in check. You also lack a check to Sun teams, seeing as Volcarona will sweep your team clean if it gets a couple of boosts. So, I support the suggestion of a Specially Defensive Heatran, and I recommend that you use it over Jirachi. The EVs and nature posted by ginganinja are ideal. However, I suggest you use a moveset of Lava Plume | Stealth Rock | Roar | Toxic in order to cripple the Latis and bulky waters. All Volcarona except the very rare HP Ground versions are easily defeated by this Heatran, and it also gives you an emergency Thundurus check by being able to survive a +2 Focus Blast.

I recommend you run enough speed on Rotom to outrun +1 DD Nite, who can also trouble you. Since Heatran does a good job of luring in bulky Waters and poisoning them, you can forgoe Toxic on Gliscor for another move. Swords Dance makes Gliscor a sturdy boosting tank, very effective against stall teams. Taunt works very well with SD, shutting down stuff like Skarmory who would otherwise phase away your boosts. If you decide to use Taunt, use it over Protect.

Blissey can be a real headache for this team to face, especially if it carries Flamethrower/Ice Beam and Toxic. Your only way of defeating it is with Scizor if it carries IB or Gliscor if it has FT. Reuniclus fails to 2HKO with Focus Blast and gets worn down by Seismic Toss. So, I'd suggest trying out Psyshock over Psychic on Reuniclus to 2HKO Blissey and be a much better check to CM Virizion.

Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)