Strategy & Metagame Lead Metagame in DPP OU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Hey, I think The Smog could use more content about the older gens so here I am. I'd really like to write about DPP OU and I think the current competitive scene for the tier is very lively and is worth showcasing in Smogon's webzine.

My idea is to write about the current lead metagame in DPP OU, as it is constantly evolving even years after the tier's "death". New trends and ideas appear with every major tournament that features DPP and there's a lot of them. One of them just finished (Smogon Tour) so I'd like to give an overview of what it currently looks like, what are the current "hot leads", some that have fallen in usage / viability, and some that are underrated and likely to shine in the near future.

I'd separate the article in four parts, as I just explained:

Overview of the lead metagame, basically how it works (Hazards leads vs Attacking leads). Also an explanation of some leads that have been proven effective all throughout the gen (ie Machamp / Azelf)

"Hot" leads:

- Zapdos, the most common and arguably most dangerous lead in the metagame. While it's not very versatile its Choice Specs set is incredibly scary and can will be effective against just about any team. Other sets might not be as powerful as leads but they can certainly work and will sometimes surprise someone expecting the Specs variant.

- Tyranitar, more effective than ever thanks to Zapdos's dominance. Unlike Zapdos, there isn't a set in particular that makes it worth considering, but rather, a whole array of possible sets that will beat different things and checks. Mixed, Stealth Rock laying lead, Scarf, Band, all of those are viable and at least one of them WILL screw your own lead (unless it's Machamp)

- Empoleon, a lead that mixes threatening offensive presence and the ability to set up entry hazards. It matches up well against a lot of leads which allows it to often get a kill and lay down SR. Its typing is also very advantageous and allows it to be useful later in the game rather than just the early game.

Fallen leads:

- Starmie, while it has risen a lot in non-lead usage, it's just not all that great as a lead anymore. A part of that can be attributed to the fact that many common leads match up well against it (ie Choice Scarf Tyranitar), but also because suicide hazard leads have become a lot rarer, and they were a big reason to use Lead Starmie.

- Heatran, another Pokemon that doesn't match up very well against popular leads. A lot of lead Machamp run Focus Sash now so they can just live the LO / Specs Overheat and KO back with DynamicPunch. It has a hard time getting both Stealth Rock and a hit off, unlike Empoleon. It's also much better as a non-lead Pokemon

- Uxie, mostly due to the fact that dedicated leads aren't as effective as they used to be, and other dedicated leads for example Azelf can do the same job while being much less predictable due to having multiple effective set. It's still a good lead though, but it doesn't seem very popular anymore.

Underrated leads:

- Smeargle, while it has high reliance on the "lead matchup" element, the support it provides is unbelievable. Very few OU leads are able to carry both Stealth Rock and Spikes (Skarmory and Forretress are the other ones), and those aren't able to get both up as consistently as Smeargle. As things like Machamp run less and less Lum Berry, Spore becomes more and more effective.

- Breloom, Scarf Breloom is actually a pretty neat lead. Being able to outspeed things like Aerodactyl and Azelf before they even get the chance to lay down their precious hazards is invaluable. It can also easily kill some of the most dangerous and popular leads, for example Tyranitar or Swampert. Using it can give you the upper hand over many offense builds and will almost never have a 100% lose matchup.

- Froslass, it requires no introduction as a lead, however, during the last Smogon Tour season, only 0.44% of all leads were Froslass. A fast Spikes lead combined with the ability to block Rapid Spin by itself is very neat in such a hazard centric metagame. Having STAB Ice Beam for Zapdos allows you to dish a super strong hit to the #1 lead right now, which is awesome. The fact that fast Taunt leads are not as common as they used to be really helps it shine too.

Hopefully this is descriptive enough for a plan. Let me know if I need to write more.

Reactions: trc
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)