Leaning Defensively

Hey Smogon, I am finally realizing that I am drifting away from competitive pokemon, and I just don't have the time to keep a pulse on the OU competitive metagame anymore. About once a month I decide to log onto shoddy battle and give it a go, but pokemon is starting to feel like weight training to me these days. If you work out once a month, you just won't be able to build any muscle or maintain any strength. To build yourself up you have to maintain a regular routine and healthy diet. Similarly, to remain competitive and active you have to try to participate in the smogon tour every week, take some runs on the shoddy battle ladder, and comb over any threads in stark and the RMT forums. Balancing three metagames was tough enough with school work when I was an active participant for a few Smogon tours. I am having trouble keeping up with my best metagame, OU, by just playing once a month now. I have used variations of the team I am going to post throughout the last year. I don't know if this is the "best" variation I have ever used, but it captures the essence of the type of player I am. It had some decent success in a small World Cup run, and it always provided me a consistent couple of wins in OU Smogon tours.

I know some newer players probably have no clue about me, so here is the small introduction for anyone wondering. I would like to say I am an above average player because I was chosen to represent US Central in the most recent Smogon World Cup, and I had a decent run in the Smogon tours. I would be the equivalent of a sports team that consistently can compete at a high level and make the playoffs, perhaps winning a round or two in the playoffs, but I just never really got over the hump to championship caliber.

Anyway, onto the team, with the name coming from a play on words for political viewpoints, "Leaning Defensively." I am posting it because as I indicated above, I just can't find the time to compete in pokemon anymore. I feel like some of the ideas can be taken from this team and someone can possibly better apply them to fit their own style.

The Lead:

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 48 HP / 252 SpA / 208 Spd
Nature: Modest (+SpA, -Attk)
-Stealth Rock
-Flamethrower
-Earth Power
-Explosion

This spot has remained pretty dynamic throughout the variations of the team. The core remains Skarmory/Blissey/Rotom on the basic level, but I always feel the OU metagame demands a second or third steel type. Heatran's role gives me the ability to possibly set up Stealth Rock early, or against leads like Swampert and Mamoswine that threaten Heatran with Earthquake I can get a "free" swap into Skarmory and get a layer of spikes down. Within the first two turns I generally am getting some sort of entry hazard into place. Usually the leads like Swampert and Mamoswine will get their own set of rocks down, but my team handles the prevalence of Stealth Rock really well.

The set looks weird, the IV's look weird, stealth rock with a choice scarf on a versatile pokemon like Heatran looks dumb, but it all serves a purpose and falls into place pretty well. As I said earlier he hasn't been a permanent member by any means, but a recent addition that has actually proved invaluable. Any lead that I feel like Heatran scares out, usually the Jirachi's of the world, I can lay down my rocks right away. I've actually caught a few getting cute and trying to stay in hoping for a double Stealth Rock turn, but usually that comes into play after you have already played someone on the ladder once. Against the suicide leads like Azelf, which this team despises, I can just let them set down their rocks as I take them out with Flamethrower early. As I said earlier, the Swamperts/Mamoswines of the world generally will Stealth Rock, but I always swap out to my next member (Skarmory) and get a free layer of spikes as they swap out themselves. If they launch an Earthquake at me as I swap, Skarmory is probably setting up two layers of spikes in their face and giving me a huge early advantage. Rotom usually gets the call against Infernape leads. They usually blindly use Fake Out, Rotom resists it on the swap, breaks the sash with Thunderbolt as they Stealth Rock, and we go on from that. Depending on the case you can try to get Heatran in on a Fire Blast or just let Rotom take it and polish off Infernape. Blah blah blah I could go onto a million scenarios, but I just wanted to point out the ones that are most common or most tricky to deal with.

Choice Scarf Heatran works well with a team that focuses on blocking rapid spin and setting up its own layers of hazards. If I can slowly chip off pokemon with Stealth Rock and Spikes Heatran can pick up messes pretty easily with the generally favorable coverage of Flamethrower/Earth Power. Explosion can be used as a last resort type move. I generally find it most useful in hindering Vaporeon and Suicune swap ins. Rotom comes in, scares them off, and depending on the layers of spikes might just screw those two over.

Final notes: I chose slight bulk over max speed because I don't like to mess around with Choice Scarf Heatran speed ties anyway. This sits at 362 speed and covers most nonscarf threats just fine with that number. 367 and 373 are fine numbers to choose also, but I found no need for either with the way I use Heatran. 373 just outspeeds Alakazam, Dugtrio, and Sceptile, which are non threats and ultimately nonfactors in OU play. The speed IS enough to revenge kill some pokemon that give this team headaches (generally Infernape).

Defensive Core:

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def
Nature: (+SpD, -SpA)
-Spikes
-Roost
-Brave Bird
-Whirlwind

An essential member of the team. A staple on defensive teams. I have been using this type of EV spread ever since I ran across someone else utilizing him many many months ago. I believe he was spawned on the suspect ladder as an answer to Shaymin-S. I took that idea and figured why the hell couldn't he fit into OU play with a special defensive spread? It allows him to set up on pokemon like Vaporeon and Swampert who might try to launch Surf at him. Skarmory is able to take them and possibly lay crucial extra layers of spikes. He still walls a majority of what you want him to wall as well with this spread: Mamoswine, Scizor, Metagross, etc. He is a great partner with Heatran and Blissey as any special fire attacks can be redirected their way. Any Earthquakes directed at Heatran gives him a free swap with a chance to lay a free layer of Spikes or spam a Whirlwind if I think the setup is established. He provides hazing to not let anything dumb beat you (Ninjask).

I think everyone understands the point of Skarmory. Some other minor notes: He can take a Magnezone Thunderbolt (typically, depends on the type of Magnezone and where your health is it, I don't remember the damage calc) and lay down a second layer of spikes in its face. This team is pretty Magnezone weak with Scizor and Skarmory being susceptible to scarf 'zone, so I have to tread the water carefully if I accidentally find out the opponent has a Magnezone, or (usually this case) he takes out Skarmory early in the game. I maintain that leftovers is the better choice, but I have used Shed Shell and have fared just fine too.

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 202 HP/252 Def/56 SAtk
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Softboiled
- Seismic Toss
- Ice Beam

Easily one of the best pokemon of DPP. The setup is pretty standard, except for the fact I have Stealth Rock twice on this team!? It is there partly for lack of a better move and partly because Heatran isn't always reliable to get Stealth Rock going in the early game. Blissey provides a reliable Stealth Rock for the team. The team doesn't really need Aromatherapy and Wish. Toxic could make an argument for the spot, but the usefulness and safety net of Stealth Rock is too hard to pass up. I like Ice Beam out of personal preference mostly. Flamethrower would be nice for Scizor/Metagross/Skarmory/etc. that commonly try to swap in or setup on Blissey, but I have answers to all of those pokemon so I don't worry about it. I think I like it most for the one in a hundred times I get to hit MixMences in the face with it when think they are being cute thinking they might get a free turn on a Flamethrower/SToss type Blissey. I prefer the physically defensive spread because I believe I have enough help to stop any of the problems that the Calm spread fails on. Sure, something uncommon like SpecsLuke can win, but I force them into guessing games with Rotom/Salamence possibly being able to take an Aura Sphere too. Nasty Plot Azelf doesn't last long with Scizor or ScarfTran. I've been playing DPP for a while now and really don't buy into the Calm Blissey. I have found that it is nice, but not necessary from my extensive playing time.

Rotom-h @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Nature: Bold (+Def, -Attk)
-Will-o-Wisp
-Thunderbolt
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

Another set I "adopted" a long time ago when I saw someone else use it. I'm surprised at how long it took to get added into the recommended sets on the Smogon analysis. Then again, I rarely see this set used, and the set doesn't see near enough play time as I think it deserves. Offensive teams cringe at swapping into Spikes/Rocks/Burns. They also cringe when they think they have put your Rotom into a fateful position, only to have it start ResTalking too. The only aspect that is tough with him is his speed. I opted for special defense over the speed because the only time I care about speed is for Tyranitar. The only Tyranitar that has that high of speed is the Dragon Dancer. The extra defensive fortitude from the special defense is much more valuable than the speed to possibly land a burn on a pokemon that I have an answer to (Scizor). He provides a spin blocker, a great wall to several pokemon (Scizor, Metagross, etc.), and leaves some offensive teams "counters" to him reeling if they get hit by a burn (Tyranitar is common). I hate to show him early in the game because of the threat Tyranitar, but considering I have the ability to cripple him on predicted swaps (or even its a slow one like a Choice Band one I can still get a chance to land the burn) it really isn't that bad.

I hate losing him early because he has useful immunities and resistances and tough weaknesses to exploit. He finishes out the 3 staples with Skarmory and Blissey. I usually like a 4th "hybrid" spot that plugs holes that those 3 can't handle, and Scizor has stepped into that role amazingly well.

Offensive Defense:

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 176 HP / 100 Atk / 232 SpD
Nature: Adamant (+Attk, -SpA)
-Pursuit
-U-Turn
-Bullet Punch
-Roost

He traps, he cleans up, he saves your ass on dragon dancing Salamence/Tyranitar, and can U-Turn scout. The main purpose of Scizor is to trap and kill some of those "lingering" threats that don't take spike damage and wear down Blissey swap ins. He is best for trapping frail choice users like Azelf, Gengar, and Latias. If they aren't choiced they might be eating a Bullet Punch anyway. He saves your ass in tight spots with Bullet Punch while being a helpful defensive piece as well. He doesn't require many extra comments since he is still one of the most OU pokemon around.

In a state of constant flux:

Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Nature: Rash
-Brick Break
-Draco Meteor
-Flamethrower
-Roost

The last position has been occupied by many different pokemon. Salamence looks great on paper for this team, but I have had a hard time getting him to perform to what I want. He serves as a cleanup type pokemon as well as a way for this team to break down pure stall. I have tried many many many different "cleanup" pokemon from Swords Dance Lucario, Choice Specs Lucario, SubCM Jirachi, etc. SubCM Jirachi was probably my favorite in this spot. The team has a massive problem with Lucario from the core 3 and Scizor. ScarfHeatran helps, but I hate relying on something like that to keep one of the most dangerous pokemon in the game in check. It coincidentally worked that my first choice, SubCM Jirachi, had the speed advantage to to sub twice in its face while Lucario lowers his defense and can then Psychic for the KO. Salamence has Intimidate and the speed to neuter Lucario a bit. The reason I went away from Jirachi was that I wanted this spot to be a more offensive role to help my team break down stall. I noticed a trend in the past few months of pure stall utilizing Latias. SubCM Jirachi really can't do much against Latias at all. Salamence can pick a spot to get into the battle on a double switch, free switch, whatever and pretty much wreck anything pure stall can throw at it (if you predict correctly). If this was a pure stall team (which I have used with these guys before) I would consider a spinner, toxic spiker, or a tough utility pokemon like CMResTalk Suicune or a Latias of my own in this type of position.

I know the team is good even though I have trouble tying together all the parts. I have had success with many different lineups, but the Skarmory/Rotom/Blissey core is the constant defense I start with. I usually build to plug key holes they have trouble with when I need a fresh start. I think Salamence fits the best currently, but I just never had the time to fully integrate him into the teams flow when I battle. The two options, as mentioned before, are to go with a pokemon that compliment full stall more at this spot (Suicune, SubRoostToxicZapdos, Latias come to mind with maybe a spinner being an option). I forgot to mention I have used a Rain Dance/Waterfall/Hydro Pump/Draco Meteor Kingdra in the spot as a stand alone sweeper as well. The problem with Kingdra is that you essentially had to use 5 pokemon to try and set up the entry hazards and accumulate damage AND find a way to get Kingdra in on a swap she could get a free setup with. Also, Celebi, Suicune, Vaporeon always seemed to be problems without Toxic Spikes around.

I have had the most success with the "stall" breakers in this spot. The longest run with this team revolved around Jirachi being at this spot before Latias presence in full stall took that away. I think they fit the team better than full stall for the way I like to play. The only limiting factor is that Lucario weakness, but it can be played around with the right pokemon in this spot or a lingering Scarf Heatran.

A small note on problem pokemon: Salamence is a problem to everyone, Last pokemon Curselax / CM Cune types, +Speed Taunt Gliscors, Machamp is more annoying than a problem, Lucario, and some things I inevitably forgot. The team isn't consistently beaten by the same kind of pokemon, and has decent ways around most of the problems I just listed.

I apologize if some of the wording and paragraphing seems a little scatterbrained. I get on a role with a stream of thoughts and spew them out in a poorly constructed order. I tried to fix some of it, and if this were some sort of report I wouldn't accept some of what I wrote, but it got enough of what I wanted without sacrificing too much unreadableness (you know your losing steam when making up words and run on sentences).

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the team. Feel free to rate it, comment, whatever. I have had a fun run with competitive pokemon, and I hope I can help some people out by posting one of my most successful teams.

Hi what you have here is a true semi stall team. One lead i would suggest which is just like your heatran is a scarf jirachi with

252 attack/252 spe/4hp (jolly)
Ice punch/u turn /thunder punch
Fire Punch
Iron head
Stealth rocks

you get the same thing along with the more reliable revenge killing capabilities to the top threats in the metagame.

Hey what's up Gaborik?

On Heatran I wouldn't take Curtains advice reason being is that he recommended Jirachi in replace of Heatran and doing that will perfectly make your team weak to Mixape it'll just reck havoc on your team.

Now what I currently notice about your team is that you have 2 pokemon on your team that have the move "Stealth rock" you only need one pokemon that should carry Stealth rock because you won't get rapid spinned since Rotom-H is currently your Anti spinner, and if you need to set it up if somehow you get rapid spin you just go to Blissey to set it up.

Your team currently is weak to Dragon dancing Salamence, and Since Heatran doesn't outspeed Salamence with 1 Dragon dance, I recommend you change it. Plus you don't really have any powerful physical attack other the Scizor that's Specially bulky. So what I recommend you change ScarfHeatrn to is ScarfFlygon. It reaches 328 speed and it carries A Fire move and Ground move, Similiar to Heatran remember it's also a very powerful physical attacker is which you lacked mostly. So here's the EVs and moveset you might want to be checking out:

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 Att / 252 Spd
Moveset: Outrage, Earthquake, Fire Blast, U-Turn

Outrage is simiply for Salamence and other Dragon types that you would want to take down. Earthquake is for Heatrans, Lucario, Tyranitar, Jirachi etc. Fire Blast is to 2HKO Skarm so that helps you with that and other Steel types. U-Turn is just over predicting a switch if you seen it coming to have the upper hand obviously.

For Blissey you might want to remove Ice beam since you don't really need it for any dragons, you might want to put Thunder Wave it'll definitly stop things for trying to setup on you so they won't be able to do anything with a Low amount of speed and the change to get paralyzed. So if you want to try that, makes you have no Special attacks so you can use these EVs instead: 24 HP / 252 Def / 232 SpD

Good luck and hope my analysis helped.

EDIT: Plus you definitly want to replace Flygon as a lead into Skarmory as a lead, since Flygon is a revenge killer and Skarmory isn't the best Lead but it could definitly set up. Plus you definitly want to replace the item on Skarmory into Shed Shell to Stop Magnezone to not setup or lock you in for a murderous Thunderbolt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)