Left 4 Dead (50% off this weekend on Steam!)

If you haven't viewed the intro movie yet, I highly recommend that do.

I just played the demo for this, and I have to say that I was quite impressed. The gameplay was completely different from what I expected and the AI director really does a good job of keeping things interesting; I imagine that seeing witches and tanks in the same place every playthrough would make things immensely dull. Unlike in Doom 3 where I would often backtrack after every major skirmish to get ammo and/or health, backtracking in Left 4 Dead often just causes more zombies to spawn and results in an overall loss of health and ammo.

I really like the fact that pistol ammo is unlimited. This, combined with the fact that the game penalizes backtracking, forces you to continue pushing forward at a pretty steady rate while still keeping an eye out for bosses. Another thing that I really like about unlimited pistol ammo is that it eliminates the need for a melee weapon, and I'm certain that any melee weapon in this game would be absolutely worthless.

I really like the way that the boss zombies work and the way that they force team play. It's frustrating when you're playing with people for the first time (I really hated smokers) and you're yelling over the mic for people to rescue you, but I think that in the long run it should improve the game's replayability (which is really what it's all about).

Another cooperative element that I really like is the way that health packs work. I never really was fond of the whole "touch medkit, receive health" that encouraged people to camp beside health in firefights and then strafe onto it after taking damage. The way health packs work in Left 4 Dead is realistic, but more importantly it forces you to be completely on the same page with your team, whether it comes to exchanging health or simply covering someone while they apply bandages.

The main gripe I have about the game so far is the primary weapons and balance. There's no reason to ever use any weapon that's not a shotgun, and the auto shotgun borders on broken in my opinion; you get an incredibly powerful close-range weapon with a high rate of fire and virtually no worries about ever running out of ammo. The automatic weapons are nice for long range, but usually when you're shooting at long range it's to kill enemies that haven't been alerted to your presence, and in that case you could just use the pistol. The same goes for the hunting rifle to a lesser extent, although I can see that being useful if you have a really cohesive team that is able to cover your sniper. The only thing that I really believe keeps the non-shotgun weapons from being useless is the lack of spread; if you're trying to shoot enemies away from a teammate, using a weapon with high spread is probably not the best idea.

One thing I noticed in the game is that the "push" command is very spammable, I found in a lot of situations I could just dive into a fray and spam push and let my teammates get kills without taking too much damage. (I also did this a lot after allowing myself to fall victim to the boomer's bile, which happened on more than one occasion.) I'm not sure if this is the way that Valve intended it to work; I guess it works pretty well since it's something that would either have to be very useful or near worthless.

I wasn't planning on buying this game immediately after it came out simply due to the cost (I don't think Valve has ever released a multiplayer game that had a launch price as high as $50), but depending on how the finished product turns out, I may buy it. Knowing Valve, there will almost certainly be periodic updates to add new maps, and the addition of new weapons and new boss zombies several months down the line isn't outside the realm of possibility either. That's why I love Valve.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The game looks really, really fun for co-op. However, all my friends pre-ordered it on PC (Steam keeps popping up with messages saying they're playing the demo) and my laptop wouldn't do the game justice. I want to get it on 360 but nobody to play with :(

The game looks really awesome =( I'll try the demo when its released on the 11th for people who didn't pre-order.

Graphically, I've found that the game is actually not too demanding. Remember, this is Valve we're talking about; they've made making the game playable by a large audience a higher priority than catering to folks with high-end PCs (although they do have stuff like matpic to ensure that high-end machines get impressive graphics). Also, Left 4 Dead is the first version of the Source engine to REALLY support multithreading (the mat_queue_mode included with the Orange Box was horribly buggy) and a lot of people have been reporting that Left 4 Dead works better than Orange Box games on their PC. One of the other reasons I suspect that a lot of people are reporting better performance from Left 4 Dead than Team Fortress 2 is that the Orange Box engine sucked at handling particles and Team Fortress 2 constantly forced you to load a lot of particles, I could often see my performance tank as a function of the number of pyros on the server. My peak framerates in Left 4 Dead are lower than the ones I got in Team Fortress 2, but they're a lot less variable.

I have a 2.0 GHz dual core processor, 1.5 GB 667 MHz RAM, and a GF 7600 with 256 MB VRAM and I usually get around 60 FPS using the lowend.cfg settings that Valve included (although my framerates sometimes dip slightly below 50 FPS in the middle of firefights).

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I was convinced to download the demo for this through Steam a couple of days ago.

Oh my god.

This is the most refreshing FPS experience I have had in years. I'm not a huge zombie person (what is humanity's obsession with zombies?) but this game had me hooked. When you get mobbed by zombies the little black frame on your desktop filled with clawing, screeching members of the undead may as well be the whole fucking room, it's that atmospheric.

I can't say I've found the same issue with weapon balance as Kikuichimonji describes; I find that the game does a good job of hemming you in at certain points (ie going through a subway train single file) so that certain weapons are more viable than others, and the other way around when you're out in the open. Hoards help with this too. Christ are they terrifiying. Another reason not to go all out with the shotgun is the increased risk of hitting a teammate, which links me on nicely to that system!

The four-man cell thing is absolutely awesome. I know there have been "team" shooters before, but I've never played an FPS that so well caters to this dynamic. Within the first five seconds of play I was fumbling around like a goon and slipped off the edge of a building that impending zombie doom tends to crawl up, and was treated to a brief third-person shot as a friend of mine ran over to help me up the side. You're also treated to little updates on the side of the screen like "Az was helped up by xxx" or "Az saved xxx". The game is full of these moments; team-members can be snagged by a trap and dragged away HL2/I Am Legend style, and you have to go after them, and the best part is that I find you want to go after them. The experience is so cinematic that they feel like these are actually the last four people, and if you lose them, it's over. My brother was watching me play it for the first time and actually shouted out as the aforementioned friend was snagged, like you do when the stupid guy goes outside in a horror movie.

Really, give this a go. The demo is short, but when you replay it it randomises your spawn points in the level, I think, so you can play through the same hub from a different direction.

edit: I forgot to mention that whilst there is no melee weapon, secondary fire on every weapon (I think) is a melee "attack", though it's more of a pushback, which is great because it gives you like, half a second to get extra room. Believe me, you need it.

Intro was awesome, I love zombies for some reason

I'll probably never play the game or if I do it will be once or twice max... but I've watched some gameplay vids as long as the intro movie, and I really wish I had the computer to play this on and the skills to be good at it. This game looks like it would be fun to watch as well as play though, so maybe I'll find someone who has it :]

I forgot to mention that whilst there is no melee weapon, secondary fire on every weapon (I think) is a melee "attack", though it's more of a pushback, which is great because it gives you like, half a second to get extra room. Believe me, you need it.
I constantly find that the greatest virtue of the "push" function is that it does not do damage, meaning that if a boomer or smoker is obscuring your vision, you can just spam it to hold zombies at bay without worrying about dealing damage to your team. Another place that it comes in handy is against hunters; shooting at the hunter is sometimes not the safest move when they're right on top of somebody; I've actually found that there are times when I get ambushed by a hunter and take more damage from friendly fire than from the hunter itself. Also, hitting teammates with the push command saves them if they're being reeled in by a smoker, which is definitely useful if you can't get a clear shot.
Really, give this a go. The demo is short, but when you replay it it randomises your spawn points in the level, I think, so you can play through the same hub from a different direction.
The terrain of each map is exactly the same every time you play through it (you start from the same point and all of the terrain, including cars, is the same), but everything that's not a static entity is randomized. Witches get placed in random locations, zombie hoards show up at different times, bosses show up in different locations each time, and some may not appear at all (I've had several playthroughs where Witches and Tanks simply did not show up at all). Also, the placement of items outside the starting room is different each time. I'm pretty sure that there are three (maybe more) possible placements for the tier two weapons in the subway level, and it seems to be pretty much random as to where you find them although I think that your performance and the difficulty that you're playing at factor into it somewhat. Molotovs, pipes, and pills also seem to work similarly; there are dozens of possible spawn locations for these items (usually in closets or similar areas) but whether or not you'll find an item at any one of these spawn points seems to be random.

Because I don't have any system other than a Wii, my new game selection is looking a wee bit bare lately (besides Tales I guess). And this is a game I've been looking forward to for a few months now. The biggest thing is that it's on the same engine as Half Life 2 (right?) and usually any computers nowadays can take that easily.

I'm not one for mulitplayer games either, online doesn't get me as much, but this aspect just looks exciting, going to try the demo out for sure. Really looking forward to it.

EDIT: BAH! Total bummer, it's downloaded and everything, but it's acting up like the rest of my steam games lately. For this the game is just to dark. At first I thought you weren't supposed to see anything, but then the game is playing, I get the feeling I AM controlling my character, but I can't see anything but the white outline of weapons, and sometimes the blue outline of the allies.

So yeah, it might be because it says like some driver of mine is outdated or something, and I ignored it when playing somethinglike Team Fortress 2.

Me, Mr. Esc, and Jc_rcw were playing today, with a friend I *think* is from garry's mod (excuse me if you're also a smogoner!) and we beat expert mode after like 6 or so tries.

It's really really REALLY fucking hard.

If you've ever played Team Fortress 2 and a medic Ubering a heavy comes running at you, this is the tank in L4D. I found myself running around senselessly trying to avoid the damn thing, while shooting it, but it just doesn't die. Everyone panics when the Tank shows up.

The push function is pretty good, but it's not perfect.
It only smashes a small portion in front of you, and while it is amazing inside confined spaces, when zombies are flanking you it becomes incredibly hard to deal with them by pushing alone.

By the way, Kiku- Some of the other maps contain larger, more open spaces. The accuracy from the other guns can save your life when you are actually able to space yourself from the tank and shoot accurately at it, and I assume hitting it in the head actually damages it more than in the body. One would assume, since the game tracks headshots. If we could carry both guns at once, we would use the assault rifles for lengthy shots and switch to shotguns when our ammo is depleted and the enemy has engaged you.

It's really all playstyle and scenario.

I just played the demo on my friend's xbox... it is one of the most fun games i've played in a while. the cooperative aspect is great. even when i was matched with people that i didn't know, i felt a sense of camaraderie not only because want to stick together for safety but because of the special zombie "events" (getting pinned, those guys that hook you with tendrils). i only played the demo a couple times and the second time i played i got snagged by a tendril-guy, got dragged away and i got MOBBED... and my entire group left me for dead until i was in the red. i got free somehow and had to fight a mob of 30+ zombies with my shotgun. much fun.

ATTENTION SMOGONITES: If a boomer sicks on you, the zombies will go after YOU. Your teammates can position themselves to avoid getting hit at all and "closeline" zombies as they run past.

They really did good on this game. The only problem was, 4 hours to dl for 15 min of playing. A little uneven. Also I fucking hate smoker/hunter.

One thing to keep in mind is that the boss zombies each have their own distinct sound that should be audible before you encounter them. When you hear them, plan accordingly. If you hear the snarl of a hunter, have someone with a shotgun take the point and have everyone stay close to push the hunter off if worse comes to worse. If you hear the grunting of a boomer, proceed with caution and be ready to use push before firing a close-range weapon like a shotgun.

The demo is pretty large mainly because it contains a completely new game engine. One thing that's nice about Steam is that when they have multiple games using the same engine, they'll all overlap and use the same files. For example, Team Fortress 2, Portal, and Day of Defeat: Source are 7 GB, 5 GB, and 5 GB, respectively, but collectively they total to only 10 GB because they all share the same physics engine. Once games like Counter-Strike: Source and Team Fortress 2 have been ported to the Left 4 Dead engine, they'll be able to share game files and won't take as much disk space (or bandwidth).

This is one of the most amazing fpses ive played in ages, just wow.
Was playing with esc and tpup earlier, and we finally conquered expert after alot of attempts, but each one i learned something new about what to do and what not to do.
Expert i feel is the best way to play the game, it really promotes teamwork and cover much more than the other difficulties, and i feel much more terrified of boomers and the like when each one could mean being overwhelmed.
I realize after palying that a large part of playing is recognizing threats before they come. Thunderpup i noticed was really good at this, and handy since he was the only one of the four of us palying with a mic. FOr example, hearing the swarm coming and running into a long corridor, or hearing the tank before seeing it.
The only thing i could really see coming was the witch, because she makes a pretty distintive sound, but i guess this is something ill have to get better at.
Moments such as when we were in the train and me and tpup were covering the back while esc sniped through the front window and some random guy pciked off stragglers arriving at the door really made the game,, and i think its a shame its so expensive because i really really really really fucking want this game!

Stoo stop fucking shooting me :(

Also all specials make distinct noises which are important to difference.

Hunters make this sort of hissing sound, it's noticeable after a while of playing. Also, PUNCH HUNTERS, don't shoot them. FF is a killer in this game, don't shoot your team, please.

Smokers make coughing sounds, maybe emulating their lifestyle choices in life. They can be hard to distinguish from boomers, sometimes. If you aren't paying attention, you might mistake them. Watch the roofs!

Boomers make a very audible gargling fatty sound. It's pretty easy to pick up this sound, but they like to hide behind corners and IN WINDOWS so catching one is usually harder than hearing one. WATCH THE WINDOWS, they can pop up and spit out them, especially in the demo.

Tanks are hard. Unless there is silence and the tank is fairly close, you might miss the tank or mistake it for another zombie. It has a loud grunting noise, but sometimes it doesn't even make a sound before you walk right into one. ALWAYS make sure your team has a strategy for encountering the tank!!

Zombie swarms come after the sound changes, like in a movie. I always like to set plans with teams I play with when the swarms come. If we haven't fought a swarm in a while, I'll say something like "Okay guys, break through to this train car, then lets bottleneck it until the next swarm, watch for fatties and smokers." For the most part, a good team should be drilled in the team's strategies as you progress through the story. Let everyone know what you are doing, remind them to stay close, and give some directions and you should be fine!

Well, the Left 4 Dead launch is upon us. I did find the latest blog posts to be amusing, although the perceived hilarity of Valve's attempts at humor is probably a function of sleep loss. I've decided that I will not be buying the game at launch; I'll probably wait until Black Friday to see if I can get a good deal on a boxed copy. (Waiting a week to get it going to kill me; I have a busy week coming up and Thanksgiving holiday is probably the first chance I'd have to play it anyway.) To those who have bought it, I certainly hope that you enjoy it, be sure to report back to us with your impressions.

Several things to note if you plan to buy:

It is possible to buy four copies of Left 4 Dead as a packaged deal through Steam for $150 (you can gift the extra copies to users on your Steam friends list). If you can find three other people willing to chip in $37.50, this might not be a bad idea.

The Valve Compete Pack now includes Left 4 Dead but the price has remained fixed at $100. If you're interested in getting Left 4 Dead and do not yet have any other Valve titles, I highly recommend taking advantage of this deal. Paying an extra $50 to get the Orange Box ($40), Counter-Strike: Source ($20), Day of Defeat: Source ($10), the Counter-Strike 1 anthology ($15) and the Half-Life 1 anthology ($15) is a great deal. I bought the Valve Complete Pack before it contained Left 4 Dead and it was a good deal even then, Left 4 Dead just made things a whole lot sweeter.

Last year, Valve had everything on Steam heavily discounted between Christmas and New Years. (The Valve Compete Pack and Orange Box were 25% off, some non-Valve games were as much as 50% off, and everything was discounted by at least 10%.) If you're willing to wait a month, you might be able to get a better deal on purchases from Steam, although this is not guaranteed to happen again.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I've been looking foreward to this for ages, and the demo only reassured me my faith in Valve was not misplaced. Unfortunatly I can't get it until Friday, but that's probably for the best since until then I'm smack bang in the middle of exams.

If any aussies want to play with me then send a PM and I'll give you my Steam Addy.

EDIT: Nah bugger it, downloading off steam as we speak :D

Last year, Valve had everything on Steam heavily discounted between Christmas and New Years. (The Valve Compete Pack and Orange Box were 25% off, some non-Valve games were as much as 50% off, and everything was discounted by at least 10%.) If you're willing to wait a month, you might be able to get a better deal on purchases from Steam, although this is not guaranteed to happen again.
good news right here, since i wont be getting this until christmas, or gone christmas :(

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Holy CRAP. I did not expect this game to be so popular at retail. I went to pick up a copy using EB's Trade 2 get it free deal (well they owed me $0.01) and the line was HUGE. Lich King huge. Was PC version. Didn't see anyone pick it up on 360. Were a couple of people getting Fallout 3 on 360 still.

We should have a Smogon room for this. It'd be cool bonding better and such.

Edit: oh, hopefully for 360, since I don't have it for comp.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I've got to say, this is awesome. Campain is just what you would expect after playing the demo, only about 15 times longer, and when you get a good bunch of blokes with mics playing with you it's a real hoot. Versus is either dead serious attempting to beat the other groups score with a few well-executed ambushes, or an absolute riot when one team is raping the other, doesn't matter if you're the ones raping or you're watching your team fall to pieces as one guy runs abandons his team and leaves them to the hunters, only to be jumped himself (that's karma, bitch!)

So, anyone want to talk gun preference? IMO Valve's done a great job of keeping the weapons even. Although I usually go for the M4, the Auto-shotty is always tempting and the bullet penetration of the Hunting Rifle makes it superior in tight coridors, hence my decision usually hinges on what weapons the other 4 people pick up.

I never tried the hunting rifle, not even in the demo :x. I really like the assault rifle cause I usually aim for the head and exploding brains are really rewarding.
I don't think I will be getting tis game any time soon, which is such a shame ;_;

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)