Leftover Prototype Gen 3 Pokémon Data: First Looks

Egg Ticket, huh? Did FRLG ever use that? Only egg gifts I can think of were realted to Pokemon Box, but that just placed the egg in the box for you to transfer around.
There were some egg wondercard events, like the notable Leech Seed Oddish or Wish Chansey.

Im guessing the secret power dodrio present in most of the debug saves are for testing the secret base feature.
I find Dodrio a weird and late choice among the usual HM fodder.

Dodrio was probably just the favorite Pokemon of the person setting up the debugging pokemon

Or the person in charge of testing secret bases in particular, i suppose

breh

強いだね
prototype dex entries. numbers seem to be kind of arbitrary?

Dummy

Newly discovered Pokemon. Currently under investigation.

The hump on its back is formed from bones. The hump gets bigger as it ages; as it gets bigger and bigger, its body grows heavy and its movements become slow. // shares parts of Sapphire Camerupt and Numel. "Eruption Pokemon", same as final Camerupt.

It puts all manner of things in its beak, provided they fit. It is can sometimes be seen putting small Pokemon and Eggs inside and carrying them. // similar to final Ruby Pelipper, same species name as final

When in a rush, it throws its tail and uses it as a lasso to fling its whole body. The record for such flights is said to be 10 meters. // very similar to final Sapphire Azurill, same species name as final

It matches its body's colors to its surroundings and doesn't move for several hours. When its prey approaches, it extends its long tongue to catch it. Its tongue movements are so fast that they are hard to see with the unaided eye. // similar to final Sapphire Kecleon, same species name as final

It uses Water Gun from the blowhole on the top of its head. It loves to crawl up onto beaches and startle people. When its body dries out, it weakens. // I thought this was Lombre, but it's Wailmer! similar to final Ruby, same species name as final.

On clear days that follow rains, they assemble in puddles in great numbers. By releasing oil from the tips of its legs, it gains the ability to walk on water in a manner that resembles sliding. // Surskit but slightly rearranged from final, same species name as final

It lurks in the darkness of caves, lying in wait to ambush its prey. No matter how dark it is, it has eyesight strong enough that it can make out pebbles 100 meters away. // Sableye; same species name as final

It is said that it is born from earthen dolls that have were bathed in cosmic rays and came to harbor life. It has no legs and moves by floating through the air. // similar to final Ruby Claydol; same species name as final

It has a habit of picking up small Pokemon that it finds - not only its own children - and letting them ride on its back. It brushes its teeth by chewing on hard objects. // "Child Carry Pokemon"

When one is lost in a forest, it is said to sound its horns to show the path home. Seeing it during this time is supposed to lead to happiness. // judging by other dex entries, concept evolved into Kricketot. Shares Flygon's species name.

No matter what you ask it, it responds "why not?". Otherwise, it waves its tail left to right. When it hits the ground, it's a sign that it's angry. // Wynaut. Responds "is that so" but I localized it to match with the name here lol. Same species name as final

Near identical to final Ruby Duskull, but actually mentions Duskull's name. Same species name as final

Using its hind legs, it digs a hole and crawls backwards into the sand. It lives underground for long periods of time, so its eyes are weak. If objects fall down onto it, it reflexively bites them. // Trapinch; same species name as final

Its large wings stir up strong, fast, 30 meter [per hour?] winds. Legends suggests that it blew away clouds and brought people the light of the sun. // "Great Hawk Pokemon"

It lives in the vicinity of ponds and sleeps 18 hours a day. It has a friendly personality, but it attacks foes after its flower with the poisoned spikes on its head. // second half similar to final Roselia; same species name as final

It uses the hollows of its body to make a beautiful, resounding cry. When mad, it shifts its cries into a supersonic range that people cannot hear and blows away those around it. // I'm dumb; I thought this was Kricketune but it was Chimecho! shares its final species name. who knows why this Pokemon is so far back in the index

Absorbs nutrients from tree roots. It lives in the earth where it is dark, so it is not fond of sunlight. It emerges from the ground at night and roams around. // similar to parts of final Ruby and Sapphire Nincada; same species name as final

Inhabits rocky shores. It is a skilled diver and goes down as far as 100 meters to catch its prey. It swims well, but moves slowly when on land. // "Seal Pokemon", so this is one of the Spheal line, but none of them have this name in final.

Same as final Ninjask; species name here is "Ninja" rather than "Shinobi" in final.

A mysterious Pokemon that has a body but no soul. The halo above its head is thought to be its true body. It levitates to move. // Shedinja; same species name as final

Using the leaf on its head, it floats in calm lakes. Small Pokemon that get on it are startled when it suddenly moves. // Lotad but different from any final; same species name as final

same as final Ludicolo bar small word choices; "Tangled Feet Pokemon"

It digs holes in mines and settles down there. It loves coal and iron ore. Although usually friendly, it becomes intimidating when it sees people coming to take its coal. // has elements of final Sapphire Lairon, but reference to coal may have been split off into Torkoal's final concept. "Steel Pokemon"

It is incredibly smart and understands human language. It has the power to change its appearance by wrapping its body with its glass-like feathers to reflect light. // very similar to final Sapphire Latias, which uses "bend" over "reflect". Same species name as final

It is incredibly smart and understands human language. It is a mystical Pokemon that has the special power to make others see any image that comes to its mind. // similar to final Sapphire Latios. Same species name as final

Loves Berries. It marks Berry trees using the hard fur on its back. If its berries are taken, it flies into a rage and does not calm down until they are returned. // Zigzagoon! Same species name as final

Last edited:
The bump on its back is formed from bones. The bump gets bigger as it ages; as it gets bigger and bigger, its body grows heavy and its movements become slow.
I think this might be for Numel/Camerupt

Bump on its back formed by bones is mentioned in Camerupt's entry
The humps on Camerupt's back are formed by a transformation of its bones. They sometimes blast out molten magma. This Pokémon apparently erupts often when it is enraged.
And the specific wording of "its movements become slow" is similar to what happens in Final Numel's magma
Numel stores magma of almost 2,200 degrees F within its body. If it gets wet, the magma cools and hardens. In that event, the Pokémon's body grows heavy and its movements become sluggish.

Also I think these numbers while arbitrary, might reflect an earlier index list. 277 is where the gen 3 pokemon start in the final game and it's pretty well known how the newer index lists trend towards (if not 1:1) their final order, with some exceptions thrown here & there. Which makes sense, they likely don't know the order when the ystart so they just add them as they come in and then reshuffle later on.

if my theory on that is right then at this point the index list resembled
277​
Numel/Camerupt?​
278​
Pelipper​
283​
Azurill​
385​
Kecleon​
285​
Lombre​
288​
Surskit​
290​
Sableye?​
292​
Claydol​
294​
??​
299​
??​
312​
Wynaut​
313​
Duskull​
314​
Trapinch?​
316​
317​
Roselia​
318​
Whismur​
319​
Nincada​
321​
??​
342​
Ninjask​
343​
Shedinja​
344​
Lotad​
345​
Ludicolo​
347​
Torkoal?​
369​
Latias​
370​
Latios​
372​
??​

When in a rush, it throws its tail and uses it as a lasso to fling its whole body. The record for such flights is said to be 10 meters.
--This is Azurill, here's the ruby entry
Azurill spins its tail as if it were a lasso, then hurls it far. The momentum of the throw sends its body flying, too. Using this unique action, one of these Pokémon managed to hurl itself a record 33 feet.
When one is lost in a forest, it is said to sound its horns to show the path home. Seeing it during this time is supposed to lead to happiness.
--Exploud, maybe? Not the most conventional forest dweller, but gen 3 doesnt have a lot of horned Pokemon, much less ones that would be able to sound them off....so "horns" as in, the instrument would work. Exploud is always shown in foresty/woodsy areas in the anime and stuff? The final entries give no real clues here.

It has a habit of picking up small Pokemon that it finds - not only its own children - and letting them ride on its back. It brushes its teeth by chewing on hard objects.
--Absolutely no clue what this could be. It would have be a medium or somewhat large Pokemon and presumably one that's pretty friendly?

Its large wings stir up strong, fast, 30 meter [per hour?] winds. Legends suggests that it blew away clouds and brought people the light of the sun.
--Winged pokemon narrows down the list. The fact it's associated with a legend related to clouds makes me wonder if it's Altaria, specifically. I don't see it being Swellow or Pelipper, at least ,and Salamence probably is out. Tropius is also a possibility, though it's odd to not mention its fruit.

Inhabits rocky shores. It is a skilled diver and goes down as far as 100 meters to catch its prey. It swims well, but moves slowly when on land.
--Has to be a water pokemon that can also come on land. It specifies rocky shores, which makes me think it's an ocean pokemon which would rule out things like Crawdaunt if so. Only thing I can think of is someone in the Spheal line. Real life seals & walruses hang out near shores, are skilled divers, those can often be rocky and obviously they're better swimmers than land walkers. FWIW Spheal's final Ruby entry
Spheal is much faster rolling than walking to get around. When groups of this Pokémon eat, they all clap at once to show their pleasure. Because of this, their mealtimes are noisy.
Does make a point to say it rolls faster than it walks.

Loves Berries. It marks Berry trees using the hard fur on its back. If its berries are taken, it flies into a rage and does not calm down until they are returned.
--"Hard fur on its back" is very specific but at hte same time I don't see any Pokemon in gen 3 where that's its notable trait. So it might just be a general descriptor, like oh, it happens to have hard fur and not it plays into their design or abilities. Slaking does enjoy fruit; sloths are also known for their horrible cruddy unwashed fur? And Vigoroth's throw tantrums. But why not just mark it with claws in that case?

When one is lost in a forest, it is said to sound its horns to show the path home. Seeing it during this time is supposed to lead to happiness.
--Exploud, maybe? Not the most conventional forest dweller, but gen 3 doesnt have a lot of horned Pokemon, much less ones that would be able to sound them off....so "horns" as in, the instrument would work. Exploud is always shown in foresty/woodsy areas in the anime and stuff? The final entries give no real clues here.
Yeah, it's probably Exploud. Exploud kinda has horns in the form of the seven tubes on its head.

It has a habit of picking up small Pokemon that it finds - not only its own children - and letting them ride on its back. It brushes its teeth by chewing on hard objects.
--Absolutely no clue what this could be. It would have be a medium or somewhat large Pokemon and presumably one that's pretty friendly?
I'm thinking this is actually a very early version of Aggron. While Aggron is usually described as a fiercely territorial Pokemon who claims an entire mountain and beats the hell out of anyone who messes with its mountain, its Sapphire entry show that it has a softer side:
Aggron is surprisingly protective of its environment. If its mountain is ravaged by a landslide or a fire, this Pokémon will haul topsoil to the area, plant trees, and beautifully restore its own territory.
This tenderness towards nature could have evolved from a tenderness towards small Pokemon. On a similar note, the Aggron family is described to eat mostly iron ore. This rock and metal diet could have evolved from chewing on hard things.

It could also be Tropius, as it's pretty chill and its fruit is popular with kids. Alternatively...

Loves Berries. It marks Berry trees using the hard fur on its back. If its berries are taken, it flies into a rage and does not calm down until they are returned.
--"Hard fur on its back" is very specific but at hte same time I don't see any Pokemon in gen 3 where that's its notable trait. So it might just be a general descriptor, like oh, it happens to have hard fur and not it plays into their design or abilities. Slaking does enjoy fruit; sloths are also known for their horrible cruddy unwashed fur? And Vigoroth's throw tantrums. But why not just mark it with claws in that case?
... this might be a very early version of Tropius. The initial idea for Tropius likely didn't have anything to do with body shape or anything, just "this Pokemon really f***ing loves fruit". Tropius loves fruit so much that it started growing fruit from its own body (Tropius, if you don't stop eating those bananas, you're going to turn into a banana yourself!), while whatever this thing was loved fruit so much that it threw a hissy fit if its fruit got taken.

breh

強いだね
good catch on Azurill, totally forgot it existed.

I'm not translating the other set of these (there are two whole other sets!) for a couple hours, but the one relating to horns is almost definitely some sort of proto kricketot:

It swings its head from left to right to make a beautiful xylophone-like tone. It communicates with its comrades by [alternating] this tone's scale.

compare to:

Diamond: It shakes its head back to front, causing its antennae to hit each other and sound like a xylophone.
Pearl: It chats with others using the sounds of its colliding antennae. These sounds are fall hallmarks.

Notable differences include that it has Flygon's species name at this point (??).

breh

強いだね
Curiouser and curiouser, it seems that Kricketune's HGSS dex entry is also partially here as well.

>It uses the hollows of its body to make a beautiful, resounding cry. When mad, it shifts its cries into a supersonic range that people cannot hear and blows away those around it.

compare to:

HGSS: By allowing its cry to resonate in the hollow of its belly, it produces a captivating sound.

The reference of "belly" is in English alone and the Japanese wording is very similar.

disregard, I am stupid, see following posts, this was Chimecho

Last edited:
Heh, we all thought we'd find Shellos & Gastrodon in any Spaceworld-style prototypes and isntead we find evidence that we might've had Krciketot &/or Kricketune.

Do all the entries in this file referene Species names? We might be able to figure out who some of these entries belong to or, at the very least, who was in the process of replacing them.

e:
Actually looking at Exploud's entries again...
ruby said:
Exploud triggers earthquakes with the tremors it creates by bellowing. If this Pokémon violently inhales from the ports on its body, it's a sign that it is preparing to let loose a huge bellow.
sapphire said:
Exploud communicates its feelings to others by emitting whistle-like sounds from the tubes of its body. This Pokémon only raises its voice when it is in battle.
emerald said:
It has sound-generating organs all over its body. It communicates with others by adjusting the tone and volume of the cries it emits.
DPt said:
Its howls can be heard over six miles away. It emits all sorts of noises from the ports on its body.
While the entries have a lot of similarities to the crickets, there's other behaviors that match up with Exploud:
-getting mad and violent causing its Bellows to cause earthquakes
-able to adjust the tone & volume to communicate
-the entire line brings up inhaling and oragans and trebling bodies.

I think this might be Exploud and they repurposed these more whimsical ideas for Kricketune

Last edited:

breh

強いだね
Looked through the species names, which I totally (very stupidly!) overlooked, and fixed errors based on that.

What I thought was Lombre was actually Wailmer

What I thought was Kricketune was actually Chimecho (oof; why are there two pokemon with near identical concepts relating to echoing their cries in the hollows of their body? this is what happens when musical instruments become pokemon)

Zigzagoon liked berries, apparently

The one I thought was Torkoal but maybe Lairon is more likely Lairon but maybe Torkoal instead, or both and their concepts were split up.

What I thought was Kricketune was actually Chimecho (oof; why are there two pokemon with near identical concepts relating to echoing their cries in the hollows of their body? this is what happens when musical instruments become pokemon)
Wait, does this throw a wrench in the popular theory that Chimecho was added last minute due to it being last in the final index and being super rare in one room?

Zigzagoon liked berries, apparently
God damn it. I was considering putting Zigzagoon as a possibility for that one because 1) its hair is spiky and hard enough for Pin Missile, 2) it's often found holding a berry, and 3) it got Gluttony in the next gen, but I didn't. Rereading the Pokedex, there was also a huge clue that I overlooked.
The hair on Zigzagoon's back is bristly. It rubs the hard back hair against trees to leave its territorial markings. This Pokémon may play dead to fool foes in battle.
I could have gotten style points for figuring it out, but now I just feel like a fool.

Wait, does this throw a wrench in the popular theory that Chimecho was added last minute due to it being last in the final index and being super rare in one room?
Yeah if you could post the full lists (you said there's like 4 of these right?) with the number and species name alongside the entries that'd be a big help.

I mean I know it's a lot so like...no rush or anything.

If Chimecho really was around the 310s earlier in development, then I wonder if it was almost dropped & moved back in towards the end? It's still very unusual for Chimecho to be after Deoxys

e: Oh you edited your earlier post nvm

Its large wings stir up strong, fast, 30 meter [per hour?] winds. Legends suggests that it blew away clouds and brought people the light of the sun. // "Great Hawk Pokemon"

So whatever pokemon this was, it was completely different from final.
This is every Bird in gen 3:
-Taillow, Swellow
-Wingull, Pelipper (already accounted for)
-Swablu, Altaria

Pelipper is already accounted for so either this is an entirely "new" cut Pokemon or Swellow (dropped the mighty hawk for a more "early game friendly" swallow?) or Altaria (massive bird of legend got switched to a more serene cloudy bird?) got a complete redesign.

By the way, no, Braviary's dex entries dont match up.

Last edited:

breh

強いだね
The order is different on some of these, no idea why. If the Pokemon is the same as the final, I'll just write its species name and the letter corresponding to the game it comes from. These are dated after z_poke above.

252: Treecko R

253: The scales on its arms have come to resemble wings. It flies through the air in a gliding fashion. A living fossil from the dinosaur age. // same species name as final Sceptile

255: Torchic R

257: By flapping its wings, it generates high-temperature Heat Waves that turn plant matter into char. It can barely see in dark areas.

258: Mudkip R

277: Similar to above 277 but "there are even cases where it becomes unable to move"

278: Pelipper R

282: Its expression is always the same, so one cannot tell what it is thinking. When stared at, it can sometimes become uneasy. // "Black Rock Pokemon"

283: Azurill R

284: Same as above Kecleon

285: Wailmer R

286: Nocturnal Pokemon that gets active when the sun sets. It likes to jump out of rivers all of a sudden and startle people walking by. // resembles final Lombre Ruby; "Mischief Pokemon"

288: Same as above Surskit

290: Its eyes have developed from living in darkness. It has eyesight strong enough to distinguish different coins from one another 100 meters away, even in complete darkness. // Sableye. I have no idea why coins are referenced here.

291: It is feared and referred to as "The Gangster of the Seas". Its sharp teeth grown back in quickly when broken and it uses them to shred boat hulls and put holes in them. // Resembles final Sharpedo Ruby

292: Same as above Claydol

294: A Pokemon that spins its tail and rolls it up to make a cradle. It lets its young ride in it and raises them. Occasionally, other Pokemon get mixed inside. // "Child Carry Pokemon"; see above

296: Shroomish R

297: A Pokemon that lives in warm regions. It often acts as part of a group; when three of them congregate, it tends to get loud. // "Tokonatsu Pokemon"; "Everlasting Summer Pokemon" or "June / July Pokemon" depending on how you want to interpret

298: It takes a lot of water into its body and sprays it out like a shower while rotating. Convenient during the hot days of summer. // "Shrub Pokemon". Concept is a kanji pun incorporating 灌 (in 灌水, to spray / sprinkle water, especially onto plants, and also contained in the word 灌木 (shrub) that makes up its category name).

299: Same as above "Kricketot"

305: Using its horns, it absorbs the electricity from lightning. Recently, it seems that it's learned that it can absorb electricity from outlets in homes. // "Imp Pokemon". Why make this if Elekid existed?

306: The moss growing on its body feels amazing to touch. However, since this is an energy-draining moss, it is for one's own good to avoid carelessly touching it. // "Peat Moss Pokemon"

307: Fond of humans, it is frequently seen riding on their heads. It appears as if they have a cotton hat. // resembles Swablu Ruby

312: Wynaut R

313: Duskull R

314: It lays quietly in a mortar-shaped hole, waiting for its prey to fall in. It has a habit of biting anything it licks. // since when does Trapinch have a tongue? Cursed image

317: Same as above Roselia

318: Very similar to final Chimecho

319: Similar to above Nincada but removes reference to absorbing nutrients from trees

321: Similar to above mystery seal but specifically mentions rolling on land, so likely Spheal based on that

322: Poison sweat seeps out from its pores. Can taint a clean lake in an instant. Releases a stench strong enough to make one's nose shrivel up. // Swalot based on other entries; resembles Swalot Ruby. "Drawstring Bag Pokemon"

323: Same as final Tropius, but all instances of "fruit" are specifically "banana" here; "Banana Pokemon"

325: It stabs its tail into the ground and absorbs water. Its legs are weak, so it can only move one meter per day. // Sunflora2, even less mobile boogaloo. "Flower Pokemon" - you can tell they got real creative

327: Huntail R

330: Hariyama R

331: It strums the balls on the disc on its head with its tail to generate tones. The tone seems to change depending on the size of its body. // "[Musical] Scale Pokemon"

334: A Pokemon that loves to let people ride on it as it flies. It flies silently, so it feels great to ride. When it gets tired, it floats in the sea and rests its wings. // "Sightseeing Pokemon"

335: Skitty R but specifically "small moving objects", identical otherwise

336: It appears lazy, but once it gets walking, it has the willpower to walk several kilometers. // Numel based on category name, which suggests that it was probably going to be a bit more camely

342: Ninjask R // "Ninja Pokemon" here rather than "Shinobi Pokemon" in final

343: very similar to Shedinja Ruby

344: It floats on water using a leaf. It paddles using its four legs, but it doesn't have flippers so it's not very fast. // Lotad, but given the following one I'm not sure what happened with this line at all.

345: Each Tapple has different spots on its body and it seems that no two patterns are the same. When it hears upbeat music, it breaks out in dance. // Do you like Spinda-Colo-adas? "Tapple" is the name used here (Tappuru); batman on discord suggested it is a combo of "tap" (the dance) and "topple"; (pine)apple may also have found its way in there. The tap connection grows stronger with Mr. Rime (which quite clearly tap dances) in later generations having Tangled Feet. I would like to note that the category name ("Tangled Feet Pokemon") is literally "plover (chidori) legs" in Japanese, and the previous dex entry ("Lotad") makes specific reference to paddling twice using the same word ("mizukaki"). A mizukaki-chidori is specifically this bird, which may offer more (non-Kappa-related) explanation for why Ludicolo has a beak - it was originally literally a bird and slowly worked its way out of the bird motif. Spinda also learned Petal Dance over Teeter Dance at some point, which strengthens the association between it and the Grass-type Ludicolo bird it would split off from.

346: Lunatone R // (note lack of Solrock)

347: Above Lairon / Torkoal sans first sentence. Notes specifically that it is territorial in final sentence.

350: It is documented to change its appearance when evolving, but the cause for doing so is unknown. Center of attention among Pokemon researchers. // "Lottery Pokemon"

359: Absol R

362: Is constantly on the move. Lacks a [permanent] home. It constricts its opponents with its long body and attacks using its sharp beak. // "White Dragon Pokemon". Seems to be Taikuun, which minibug on the discord noted is probably derived from 滞空 (taikuu; to stay in the air)

368: First sentence of Poochyena Ruby (+ the statement that it is brutal) followed by second sentence of Poochyena Sapphire

369: Latias S

370: Latios R

372: Zigzagoon R

374: The scales on its arms have come to resemble wings. It flies through the air in a gliding fashion. A living fossil from the dinosaur age. // yes, this is a copypaste of 253. "Archaeopteryx Pokemon". Sceptile was once a fossil Pokemon!

382: Lives in thick forests. It has a large body, but is good at making fine turns, allowing it to deftly pass between trees. // "Dragonfly Pokemon". Either proto Yanma evo or proto Masquerain.

385: Its long feelers are extremely sensitive. By sensing small changes in the way the air flows, it can divine its opponents' thoughts. // "Red Spider Lily Pokemon" based on the other dex entry set, it reminds me of a mix of Kirlia and Lileep. Probably the former?

392: Lives by pure ponds and lakes. When night falls, its tail begins to glow and it communicates with its comrades by varying the light's strength and turning it off and on. // Volbeat. This is literally "tail"; note that a firefly does not have a tail and that "Tail Glow" is specifically called "Firefly Light" in Japanese

393: When spring comes, it emits a sweet scent from its tail; the scent attracts Volbeat. The stronger the smell, the more Volbeat attracts. // similar to Illumise Ruby

z_poke_b tomorrow probably

Last edited:
Hmmmm there's a lot of interesting ones in this one. If these numbers still represent the index listing then at some point the 252-276 gap might have originally been filled out.
For reference the gen 3 index list is like this:
0 - placeholder bulbasaur
1-251 - the first 251 pokemon, now in proper order. Unown is specifically its A pattern
252-276 - a giant gap of nothing
277-411 - The final set of gen 3 Pokemon in mostly national dex order. The long standing theory was this might have represented a near-final version which would imply some Pokemon were found earlier than others than in the final. Chimecho is 411, leading to the theory DrPumpkinz mentioned that it was added late in development. By the way, Castform's different forms aren't their own slot.
412 - Egg
413-439 - Unown B-Z. Bulbapedia tells me these are a little odd, because all of Unown's data is in the first Unown slot, the only thing occupying these slots is the sprites.
Everything after this - placeholder bulbasaurs

It might be a little soon to say this, and we'll need to crossreference these entries to be sure, but the fact we have ab unch of pokedex entries for a bunch of seemingly unused Pokemon AND the index list seems to pick up right at 252...I wonder if for a long time this generation was going to have ~159 pokemon.
Obviously Pokemon always makes more than they use, but it's more browraising that many of them got far enough to get dex entries. & this doesnt seem to be a case of GSC where they were in the manner of replacing Pokemon.

The dex entries are placed in a sprite order, you can see the sprite numbers in a couple of files in the graphics folder. See the second sheet here for the full list compiled using the Pokedex files and agbmonsp in the source folder.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SHtQBdkPH6bCOmchgzNi1_hOAyeHJpqroAFWMHSkL2I/edit?usp=sharing

What happened is that they put these sprites in order (right after 25 Unowns) and used Gen 1 stats as placeholders for them, so for example Camerupt, the first one, uses Raichu's stats (that is misc. stats, like exp yield and egg groups) and the second one, Pelipper, is a Sandshrew clone. Because the sequence is pretty consistent, we can deduce that certain cut monsters were clones of other Gen 1 monsters. Some of these cut Pokemon survived in the file agbmonsp where 25 Unowns between Celebi and Treecko are Gen 1 clones and have some strange abilities and types which are the remnants of the scrapped monsters, they are also noted in the spreadsheet. Lucky for us, some of the scrapped Pokemon from the Pokedex files are also among these Unowns, like for example the Archaeopteryx one, whose typing and ability survived in Unown P.
Interestingly right after the cut Pokemon that would theoretically use Mew stats there's all the starters, and past that point there are only final Pokemon. A majority of the Pokemon in that part of the list are also clones of Gen 1 Pokemon. In fact, all of them use the same cloned stats the deleted Pokemon would use, plus often they have strange abilities and sometimes even typings. My theory is that almost all data of the cut Pokemon was reused for the purposes of the last bunch of Pokemon, and that's where some of these abilities and typings come from - they are yet another remnants of the deleted monsters.
For example Pokemon 298, category Kanboku (shrub) would be a Venonat clone, and in the second part of the list Mightyena is a Venonat clone and has ability Sturdy. Pokemon 334, category Yuuran (sightseeing) would use Farfetch'd stats - in the second part Gorebyss is the corresponding Farfetch'd clone and has ability Serene Grace. Yet another example is Loudred with its Fighting type and Huge Power ability.

breh

強いだね
z_poke_b

252: Treecko S

253: Its scale wings are extremely strong and sharp. They are strong weapons that rip apart iron plates. They roam in groups of about 10. // same species name as final Sceptile. Some raptor influences here as well, evidently. Veeeeery slight resemblance to Sceptile Ruby, potentially just by coincidence

255: Torchic S

257: Every few years, its whole body is engulfed in flames and it regrows its wings. A strong-willed Pokemon that never gives up no matter how many times it loses. // [anime theme plays in background]

258: Mudkip S

277: A Pokemon with a relaxed nature. However, when it gets angry, it blows 1000 C magma out of the hump on its back. // 1200 for Numel in final lol

278: Pelipper S

282: When its body is wet by rain, it can be seen rubbing its body with leaves to polish itself. It seems that it becomes satisfied when it has a black sheen. // "Black Rock Pokemon"

283: Azurill S

284: Its body is usually cold, but gets warmer when it changes color. The zig-zag on its stomach is the only thing that doesn't change. // Kecleon

285: Wailmer S

286: Very similar to final Lombre Sapphire bar addition of "very" in final // "Mischief Pokemon"

288: Surskit S

290: Both of its eyes shine like gems. It is feared because it is said that people drawn to that beauty have their soul stolen. // Resembles final Sableye Ruby. Interestingly, it does not explicitly say that its eyes literally are gems.

291: Sharpedo S

292: Claydol S

294: A fleet-footed Pokemon that can run 50 meters in 7 seconds. It sometimes drops its children, though. It brushes its teeth by chewing on hard objects. // "Child Carry Pokemon"; see above

296: When it gets mad, it shakes its body and scatters poison spores from its head. A strong poison that could make even a pro wrestler bedridden for three days. // Similar to Shroomish Sapphire. Ah yes, measuring strength of poison in pro wrestlers, just like the measuring of electricity strength in Indian elephants

297: It is said that if you give its head petals to someone you love one-sidedly, your love will be granted. If you try to take its petals, it gets violently angry. // "Tokonatsu Pokemon"; "Everlasting Summer Pokemon" or "June / July Pokemon" depending on how you want to interpret. As R_N suggested below, concept likely evolved into Luvdisc.

298: Drinks 100L in a day. If the water it has stored in its body gets low, its the leaves on both of its hands wither. // "Shrub Pokemon". Specifically noted to have 2 hands here, if you want more imagination-inspiring deep lore about a sprinkler Pokemon. Concept is a kanji pun incorporating 灌 (in 灌水, to spray / sprinkle water, especially onto plants, and also contained in the word 灌木 (shrub) that makes up its category name).

299: It swings its head from left to right to make a beautiful xylophone-like tone. It communicates with its comrades by [alternating] this tone's scale. // As mentioned above, strongly resembles Kricketot but also has elements of the Whismur line.

305: Appears in places struck by lightning. Its horns fall off and regrow once a year and it seems that the bigger they are, the more it is respected by its peers. // "Imp Pokemon". Resembles part of final Manectric Emerald, perhaps by coincidence.

306: Often found in moist, shady areas. It blooms pretty, yellow flowers, but they have a trash-like stench. // "Peat Moss Pokemon"

307: It loves to clean off its own body as well as other Pokemon with its cotton-like wings. If its wings get dirty, it washes them in water. // resembles Swablu Sapphire

312: Wynaut S

313: Duskull S

314: Its large jaw has the power to break even boulders. An extremely stubborn Pokemon that doesn't release anything it bites. // GIVE TRAPINCH JAW LOCK

317: Each individual has flowers with different colors, so there are a lot of people that seek out rare colors. Often seen in the vicinity of pristine ponds. // Roselia

318: It drifts with the wind. In windy conditions, it wraps its tail around tree branches and waits until the wind calms down. // Similar to final Chimecho Sapphire

319: Using its sharp claws, it scratches tree roots and extracts nutrients and moisture. It uses its feelers to get a sense of its surroundings. // Identical first sentence to Nincada Sapphire

321: When it walks on land, it very quickly starts to roll. On hills, it has trouble stopping once it gets rolling. A Pokemon that is fond of people. // Spheal

322: Very similar to final Swalot Sapphire // "Drawstring Bag Pokemon"

323: It flaps the leaves on its back to fly through the skies. A Body Slam from its hefty body can flatten even a sturdy truck in one shot. // resembles second half of final Tropius Sapphire

325: It has the power to read people's hearts. Raised by cheery people, it grows fast and blooms pretty flowers. // "heart" could be "mind" or "soul". "Flower Pokemon". Anon on 4chan noticed that it resembles pieces of both final Ralts entries

327: Huntail S

330: Its chubby body is a chunk of muscle. Said to be the strongest among Pokemon, it can carry a 10-ton truck with ease. // similar to final Hariyama Sapphire

331: Lives in small ponds overrun with aquatic plants. When its comrades assemble, they get up on waterfronts and play upbeat music. // "[Musical] Scale Pokemon". Perhaps also had some relation to Ludicolo, given reference to ponds and upbeat music.

334: It has a calm nature and dislikes conflict. It has cells in its horns that work like magnets, allowing it to take the role of a compass. // "Sightseeing Pokemon"

335: Lives in holes in trees. It capricious and struggles to bond with humans, but it has a cute face, so it's very popular as a pet. // Similar to Skitty Sapphire

336: A glutton that doesn't stop eating once it starts. It is lacks sensitivity to the point that it does not notice if it's hit, but it can't tolerate even a second of hunger. // takes parts of Numel Ruby

342: Ninjask S // "Ninja Pokemon" here rather than "Shinobi Pokemon" in final

343: Its body feels absolutely no pain. The halo above its head is thought to be the true form of this mysterious Pokemon. // Shedinja

344: Lotad S

345: It is thought that two Tapple with exactly the same spot patterns do not exist. Its shaky stride resembles dance. // "Tapple"; "Tangled Feet Pokemon". Very close to Spinda Ruby. See zpokea for more comments

346: Lunatone S // (note lack of Solrock)

347: Covered in steel armor from head to tail, it can counter any attack. // Lairon

350: Its mode of life is largely unclear. It does not have a visible mouth or ears; the only thing about it that is known is that it responds to light and sound. // "Lottery Pokemon"

359: Absol S

362: Its whole body is covered in white scales. When it flies, the scales fall off, making a sparkling belt of light in the sky. // "White Dragon Pokemon". Seems to be Taikuun.

368: First sentence of Poochyena Sapphire + Its legs are short, so it can't run very quickly.

369: It is kind and dislikes conflict, but once it gets angry, it releases great power. Always traveling with Latios. // Latias

370: A calm Pokemon, it listens obediently to people it trusts. It flies through the skies faster than a jet plane. // Resembles Latios Sapphire

372: Zigzagoon S

374: Its scale wings are extremely strong and sharp. They are strong weapons that rip apart iron plates. They roam in groups of about 10. // Copypaste of 253. "Archaeopteryx Pokemon"

382: It can extract oxygen from water, so there are cases of them living underwater. Loves eating the microorganisms in ponds. // "Dragonfly Pokemon". Masquerain is more supported here based on the reference to Surskit-esque eating of pond microorganisms

385: It hypnotizes its opponents using its dance-like movements and its deep gaze. Only female members of this Pokemon species have been found. // "Red Spider Lily Pokemon". Again, very much reminds of either Kirlia or Gardevoir; offers explanation for their fairly explicitly feminine appearance. If the "Flower" Pokemon above (325) is Ralts, it also fits decently well - the literal flower evolves into another literal flower. I forgot to mention, but the resemblance of the dress of Kirlia and Gardevoir to red spider lilies is probably not a coincidence either.

392: When in dark areas, it uses its feelers to sense for obstacles and food. Groups of them draw patterns in the sky. // Volbeat

393: Its two feelers are extremely useful. In dark areas, it uses them to read its surroundings and can even use them to carry small things. // Illumise

Last edited:
There's other prototype data left about trainers in trainerp.dat + tr_pokep.dat from 7/10/2002. The roster would be finalized 2 months later in 9/21 (trainer) and 9/30 (tr_poke). Most of it seems to be placeholders or part of a draft, without many custom moves or anything. The mons are referred to by their old names and probably had a different ordering, with things like Spheal being made before Walrein based on that spreadsheet.

Gym leaders = TRTYPE_ZIMURIIDAA (136-143)
1 = l15 Baltoy (Has sprite, others use youngster/lass)
2 = l15 Makuhita x2 (Tackle/Focus Energy/Sand Attack/Knock Off, Headbutt/Focus Energy/Sand Attack/Knock Off)
3 = lv19 Electrike x2
4 = lv21 Numel, Camerupt (old name: Ayame -> Asuna)
5 = lv24 Spinda x3
6 = lv27 Swablu, Pelipper
7 = lv34 Grumpigx2 (not 2v2)
8 = lv38 Spheal x2

e4 = TRTYPE_SITENNOU, (132-135)
1 = l42 Sableye, Absol
2 = l44 Shedinja, Duskull
3 = l47 Spheal
4 = l49 Altaria

Champion = TRTYPE_TYANPION, (170)
L51 Lairon

people = TRTYPE_POKEMONTOREENAA
Wally: L40 grumpig

Rivals just have level 5 starters. Brendan/Yuki = Sora
Archie (1-3) has Huntail + Sharpedo in a set of level 36/20/17. The level 17 version survived to final in the first trainer slot, though unused.
Maxie (285-287) is just a regular "magumadan" and not a leader yet. 285 has level 36 Kaenoo + Camerupt and 286/287 is the same at level 20/17. He also survived in final, though Torkoal took Kaen2's spot.

Lady Cindy is the only trainer defined to use items at this point and she has none. In final she has a full restore like most ladies. Her base team has 3 level 7 Skitty, but there's a repeat/rematch with just a Zigzagoon.
EDIT: Accidentally posted early

Last edited:
A couple notes but not to anything specific:

Seeing Pokédex entries and movesets relating to proto-Blaziken that are more indicative of being a Flying-Type, rather than just a bird, reminds me of the Latias/Blaziken concept art I've seen (despite Latias's entries still existing separately).

That "imp Pokémon" that appears at places struck by lightning sounds vaguely similar to Manectric.

Part of me wonders if the "great hawk" Pokémon was a very early Rayquaza (that was more avian), or even Volcarona.

Seeing that "everlasting summer" pokemon's second entry...is this a wedding Bouquet pokemon?

It's got petals so it was definitely flower themed, they often group up with each other (like a bouquet!) and their petals are said to bring lovers happiness, and the species name possibly being "June/July" specific I wonder if this Pokemon was conceptualized around the idea of a June Bride, which if gacha has taught me anything is I think a big deal.

Regardless I think this Pokemon got reworked into the more...globally understandable heart-shaped disc fish, Luvdisc. Petals -> Heart Scales, anyone?

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
There's other prototype data left about trainers in trainerp.dat + tr_pokep.dat from 7/10/2002. The roster would be finalized 2 months later in 9/21 (trainer) and 9/30 (tr_poke). Most of it seems to be placeholders or part of a draft, without many custom moves or anything. The mons are referred to by their old names and probably had a different ordering, with things like Spheal being made before Walrein based on that spreadsheet.

Gym leaders = TRTYPE_ZIMURIIDAA (136-143)
1 = l15 Baltoy (Has sprite, others use youngster/lass)
2 = l15 Makuhita x2 (Tackle/Focus Energy/Sand Attack/Knock Off, Headbutt/Focus Energy/Sand Attack/Knock Off)
3 = lv19 Electrike x2
4 = lv21 Numel, Camerupt (old name: Ayame -> Asuna)
5 = lv24 Spinda x3
6 = lv27 Swablu, Pelipper
7 = lv34 Grumpigx2 (not 2v2)
8 = lv38 Spheal x2

e4 = TRTYPE_SITENNOU, (132-135)
1 = l42 Sableye, Absol
2 = l44 Shedinja, Duskull
3 = l47 Spheal
4 = l49 Altaria

Champion = TRTYPE_TYANPION, (170)
L51 Lairon

people = TRTYPE_POKEMONTOREENAA
Wally: L40 grumpig

Rivals just have level 5 starters. Brendan/Yuki = Sora
Archie (1-3) has Huntail + Sharpedo in a set of level 36/20/17. The level 17 version survived to final in the first trainer slot, though unused.
Maxie (285-287) is just a regular "magumadan" and not a leader yet. 285 has level 36 Kaenoo + Camerupt and 286/287 is the same at level 20/17. He also survived in final, though Torkoal took Kaen2's spot.

Lady Cindy is the only trainer defined to use items at this point and she has none. In final she has a full restore like most ladies. Her base team has 3 level 7 Skitty, but there's a repeat/rematch with just a Zigzagoon.
EDIT: Accidentally posted early
Seems like Roxanne may have originally been a Ground type trainer? If so, that would've been better IMO. Proto-Wattson also seemed to have Electrike which makes its exclusion from his RS party even stranger. That said, holy crap these rosters are terrible, thank god they are just Betas but even then I hope that they never thought these were acceptable at any point and that they were just placeholders.

breh

強いだね
was there a species name for proto Kricketot?
Specifically "せいれい Pokemon".

Flygon bears this species name in final and the name is special because せいれい (in kana) is ambiguous to 精霊 (spirit, which is what the English dex takes) and 蜻蛉 (dragonflies (the odonata order)). The final Flygon Dex entries allude to the former, but the pun to the latter is probably also intended, or at the very least extremely fortuitous.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)