(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

The fact that Smogon's lowest (or one of the lowest) tier NU has historically been "Neverused" and thus we will never have "No U" for a bottom usage tier.
I enjoyed the PU meme while it lasted, but honestly at this point, I think within a gen, even "Z U" may not be enough anymore.
Well, though Dexit being a thing and limited format means maybe we aren't necessarly going to need a subzero usage tier....

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Very Minor thing, but wasn't Leon only played up as the strongest in Galar in particular by the games?
While one of the specific titles is "Strongest Trainer of all Galar", his most used title is "Unbeatable Champion". With the general themes of Galar concerning the League (and Leon's dreams of having Galar's trainers known as the strongest in all the world), I do take it as GF sort of intending Leon to be thought of how the strongest trainer in the world would be like.

I'll be honest outside of comparing her to Leon in the context of other champion fights, at which point its not just a conversation about Leon's precedent, I don't think anyone complaining about Geeta complains about her in the context of big shoes to fill
Possibly burying my hole deeper, my point is that it felt like Geeta was meant to be as much of an imposing Champion as Leon was, or at least they had her act like it, but she didn't really have the team to back it up.

And the thing is what they did isn't a bad idea. Where do you go from a "World" Champion who was said to be unbeatable? Well, how about two Champions, one "Top Champion" which is an instructor figure you need to defeat to get the Champion title and than a young trainer just like the player who got their Champion title. In that prospect Nemona is meant to be the Champion the player should be concerned with, but with how Nemona idolizes Geeta she is supposed to also be taken as a, for lack of a better word, "threat".

And as I said, or tried to, if she didn't act like her team was going to tear us apart we wouldn't even be having this conversation; She could still say she isn't holding back.

My main concern is GF feeling they need to have the Champions one-upping the previous in some way now that they pushed the "strongest Champion" button. Which they don't, any player would agree to that, but we know GF tends to think differently. They want to make the Champion impressive and memorable, obviously.

My thing about Geeta is less ending off with Glimmora than the fact that it's her ace instead of Kingambit as well. (...)

This is where Kingambit comes up: Supreme Overlord seems related to one of its Dex entries, entailing it to be powerful but not particularly well organized or a good leader.

Similarly, Geeta is a strong Champion (lore-wise I'm not commenting difficulty) and runs the League/Academy, but multiple lines with the other Gym Leaders (most infamously Larry) paint a less than flattering picture of her as a boss. Kingambit's practically handed to her on a silver platter for that theme, and it's not like Champions with past-Gen Aces is out of place (Lance's Dragonite, Diantha's Gardevoir, and most notably Leon's Charizard), and Kingambit is at least a Paldea Pokemon itself even with a cross-gen relation.
Because they gave the Dark-type Terastal to Arven and the Steel-type Terastal to Poppy. If one of those Terastal Types were available (probably Dark-type), than Kingambit probably could have been her ace. Though, as R_N said, Glimmora also fits her. Honestly what Hugin suggested, starting with Tera Glimmora to set up/ending with Kingambit to make use of its Ability, sounds like the best of both options and makes both of the Pokemon which fit her as "Co-Aces". Heck, I'd even agree that would even match with her self-description of being "merciless" in battle, starting with your Tera is certainly a power play (especially with it able to set-up even if you can KO it with one hit) and what Kingambit does speaks for itself.

OK but what if the X Megas were bigger deviations from the base form because X had Xerneas, who can grant everlasting life thus more opportunity to change, while Y has Yveltal who essentially pulls the entire planet on a timer, which means you don't get as much time to 'diverge' evolution-wise?
Hm, if we were to go with the idea that all Charizardites and Mewtwonites were, for some reason, either energized by Xerneas life energy or Yveltal's death destruction energy, maybe the logic goes as follow:

X: The stones being charged with life energy allowed them to have their user pull from themselves a hidden power normally inaccessible. For Charizard it's power of a dragon, for Mewtwo its a fully developed body & muscle mass. This pulling from a hidden power also results them going more a physical build in order to handle the more drastic alteration. This is also why they look more closer to their original forms, more effort was put into pulling out the hidden power than enhancing their current capabilities; in other words M-Charizard X is what a Dragon-type Charizard would likely look like and M-Mewtwo X is what a Mewtwo with a fully developed body would likely look like.

Y: Here I think we need to look more obtuse what is being done with the Stone. Obviously the stone isn't being destroyed and I wouldn't call M-Charizard Y and M-Mewtwo Y exactly "destroyer versions" of these Pokemon. Instead, if X is have the Pokemon pull a hidden power from within themselves, maybe Y is doing some opposite effect, maybe Y is devolving them to a more primitive form. While you may say M-Charizard-Y looks more draconic, maybe it actually looks more prehistoric; its a theropod with pterosaur wings (the pair of wings on its hands could be leftover of assisting proto wings an earlier ancestor of Charizard had when it just began to fly). This Charizard-ancestor is a more powerful flyer though likely burns through energy faster when flying, hence it having to rely on solar power to absorb energy which gives it a power boost (it would eventually biologically evolve to a proper wing-to-body ratio which modern Charizard is now). M-Mewtwo-Y has reverted to a fetus-like form in order to accommodate its brain becoming bigger. This could very well be what a developing Mewtwo would look like if it was naturally inside an Egg, though its size is proportioned bigger. And with a bigger brain comes more powerful psychic ability, probably even moreso as its body has devolved to not require that much energy to maintain it as it uses its psychic powers to move itself.

We have a sub-zero usage tier, its literally just "Untiered"

You're so bad you don't even get the meme tier
What about "FU"? :blobuwu: Or, if too vulgar, "CU" (as in "see you (later)").

While one of the specific titles is "Strongest Trainer of all Galar", his most used title is "Unbeatable Champion". With the general themes of Galar concerning the League (and Leon's dreams of having Galar's trainers known as the strongest in all the world), I do take it as GF sort of intending Leon to be thought of how the strongest trainer in the world would be like.
I think through context clues they clearly mean "in Galar", because its the sports region and you play up undefeated streaks like that. In Galar. The anime decided to take that to the next level because it made for a tie-in goal.
Possibly burying my hole deeper, my point is that it felt like Geeta was meant to be as much of an imposing Champion as Leon was, or at least they had her act like it, but she didn't really have the team to back it up.

And the thing is what they did isn't a bad idea. Where do you go from a "World" Champion who was said to be unbeatable? Well, how about two Champions, one "Top Champion" which is an instructor figure you need to defeat to get the Champion title and than a young trainer just like the player who got their Champion title. In that prospect Nemona is meant to be the Champion the player should be concerned with, but with how Nemona idolizes Geeta she is supposed to also be taken as a, for lack of a better word, "threat".

And as I said, or tried to, if she didn't act like her team was going to tear us apart we wouldn't even be having this conversation; She could still say she isn't holding back.

My main concern is GF feeling they need to have the Champions one-upping the previous in some way now that they pushed the "strongest Champion" button. Which they don't, any player would agree to that, but we know GF tends to think differently. They want to make the Champion impressive and memorable, obviously.
I do agree that yes Geeta's team does not walk the walk that the game talks the talk for. Most people would. We're on the same page there

Where I disagree (& what I was nagging about before) is your logic that GameFreak has this concern with needing to one up the champions. They don't. I guarantee you they don't. Especially when Leon's world champ status is more on the anime, not the games. He was a really strong trainer, but that's galar last generation and this is paldea this generation. Next generation could just be some random old man whose just really good at pokemon battles and also whittling wood.

It's like how they didn't keep chasing gen 4 being full of deities.

That's all I wanted to emphasize, we don't need to bring in a "they have to find a way to one up it, and then failed at that" narrative here.

Because the ocean is everywhere, it's one singular massive plane that underlies the entire region to prevent you from getting soft-locked falling forever if you clip through the ground somehow.
I am willing to bet that there are plenty of ways to get around this, like having a featureless void that has a respawn plane

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Because the ocean is everywhere, it's one singular massive plane that underlies the entire region to prevent you from getting soft-locked falling forever if you clip through the ground somehow.
You don't need the ocean to actually go out that far to create the illusion it expands miles. Same for the skybox. The ocean and skybox in SV are exaggerated to such a ridiculous degree, even when compared to real Earth standards!

I am willing to bet that there are plenty of ways to get around this, like having a featureless void that has a respawn plane
Or, being you're riding on a Legendary Pokemon, just have 'Raidon refuse to go any further after reaching a certain point (maybe even turn around automatically). If they want to make the "barrier" visible just have mist appear as you get close to it; it's what they did in Legends: Arceus.

EDIT: I should read more carefully. You can just ignore what I said.

Last edited:

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Why does Rock Smash, as an HM, exist? Mechanically, it's identical to Cut, just with boulders instead of trees. And like fine, having it clear boulders means you can lock off areas where trees wouldn't make sense, but clearing away boulders is already Strength's job, so now you have two different moves to clear two different flavors of boulder.
The more flavours the bolder.

Why does Rock Smash, as an HM, exist? Mechanically, it's identical to Cut, just with boulders instead of trees. And like fine, having it clear boulders means you can lock off areas where trees wouldn't make sense, but clearing away boulders is already Strength's job, so now you have two different moves to clear two different flavors of boulder.
Because they didn't want one HM that handled 2 separate things. See also they probably could have merged Whirlpool & Waterfall into one "super swim" HM.

Honestly I never questioned it, since they're 2 entirely separate rocks that work differently, so yeah of course you need 2 separate moves to handle them.

The answer is "because they wanted an additional and separated road block which would allow for another progressive unlocking of areas previously unaccessible".

It's really that simple, and applies to both rock smash / cut and waterfall / whirlwind.

No "logical" reason, just gameplay design
I understand that, but why not make the additional roadblock something that isn't already a roadblock? They didn't have to make it a second type of boulder.

Trees- Cut
Boulders- Strength
Whirlpools- Whirlpool
Waterfalls- Waterfall
Boulders Again- Rock Smash

I understand that, but why not make the additional roadblock something that isn't already a roadblock? They didn't have to make it a second type of boulder.

Trees- Cut
Boulders- Strength
Whirlpools- Whirlpool
Waterfalls- Waterfall
Remember it's a GameBoy game we're talking about... there's only so many things you could render in 8 bits at the time.
Like, what exactly would you have made that roadblock? Mist... like they did in gen 4 with Defog? :wo:

It's easy to think in modern terms, but it's a miracle Gold and Silver even have as much stuff as they actually do.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Emergency Exit and Wimp Out being separate abilities annoys me. Just give both members of the line Wimp Out and add a line to Golisopod's dex entries saying that it's so dense it's not used to its new size and power and is still a coward at heart. The bit about it "doing anything it takes to win" already points to it fighting dirty and not being particularly honourable, would be more interesting from a thematic point of view IMO.

Emergency Exit and Wimp Out being separate abilities annoys me. Just give both members of the line Wimp Out and add a line to Golisopod's dex entries saying that it's so dense it's not used to its new size and power and is still a coward at heart. The bit about it "doing anything it takes to win" already points to it fighting dirty and not being particularly honourable, would be more interesting from a thematic point of view IMO.
I mean the joke is its still a coward at heart, it's just calling its cowardice something cooler. Which matches with it being a cooler looking Pokemon.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!

Trees- Cut
Boulders- Strength
Whirlpools- Whirlpool
Waterfalls- Waterfall
I think there's two other things you're overlooking:

1. Puzzles. A rock that can be removed by Rock Smash is just a road block and that's it, it is no different from a cuttable tree except for its location. However a boulder that needs Strength are a few times throughout the series been used in puzzles. Boulders are not just roadlblocks, sometimes they are tools like pressing down on a button or pushed down a hole to a bottom floor to block a water current or something to stop against with a ice sliding puzzle. "Well why not just make the smashable roadblock Rocks ones you can just push aside"? Because of the next reason:

2. Move Power. Strength is a 80 Power Normal-type Move. Rock Smash is a weaker Fighting-type Move with a 50% chance of lowering Defense. For battling purposes Strength is a bit strong to give out early, but because of this it means they can't use pushable rocks as an early game roadblock. Rock Smash is an okay-ish Move thanks to being Typed and having that 50% Defense lowering effect, and its low Power means there's no issue giving it out as an early HM so this way they can have smashable rocks are roadblocks. Honestly Rock Smash would be better if GF had made the Move Deleter available early on, you may actually consider teaching it to some of your main team members (like if they were moves to being in the Daycare in Gen III, IV, and HGSS it would be a pretty decent Move).

Like, what exactly would you have made that roadblock?

Tried to see if the Japanese names may have any more details. Wimp Out's Japanese name, "Nigegoshi", means getting ready to run away/escape. Unfortunately Emergency Exit's Japanese name, "Kiki Kaiki", is proving more difficult to find an exact translation. The best I got is that "kiki" can mean "crisis" and "kaiki" could mean "time/situation"; so "crisis situation". So what I get from both is that:
  • Wimp Out is an accurate translation of its Japanese meaning. This Pokemon is cowardly and is already planning on running away even before it reached below half its HP.
  • Emergency Exit is a rougher translation. It's Japanese name more suggest that this Pokemon isn't cowardly but rather panics when in distress (and thus retreats).
For how they set up Wimpod and Golisopod, it makes sense. Wimpod are small and weak so their first instinct is running away from potential predators. Golisopod, on the other hand, has armor harder than diamond and claws that can cleave through water & air, they're not afraid to enter conflict. BUT, when that armor starts to crack, it has an "oh sh*t" moment and decides retreating to see another day is better than battling to a bitter end.

Now, yes, they could have either combined it into one Ability with a more generic name OR flavored Golisopod's Dex Entry so that it was still cowardly. However I think this is maybe a case of, not only going with the theme of what they wanted with each Pokemon, but with "Wimp Out" and "Emergency Exit" being different context it gives them better potential for future distribution. Wimp Out could only be given to cowardly Pokemon while Emergancy Exit to only "tactical" Pokemon, so having both opens this Ability effect to both. Had they made the Ability more generic, it would very likely be more flavored to specifically referring to the Wimpod species making it more difficult to give out in the future.

While it seems silly at first, there is some merit to having them be different Abilities.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Wimp Out vs Emergency Exit seems to be almost entirely differentiated by flavor. Wimp Out is, unsurprisingly and quite literally, wimping out and running away in cowardice and fear, which suits Wimpod itself: it's literally a "wimp" and a coward who will flee at the very sight of something. Emergency Exit meanwhile seems to be more of a tactical retreat: the Pokemon is not acting out of cowardice, but rather as a tactical retreat measure to resort to escape and gain the assistance of a teammate to save itself from an otherwise unwinnable matchup. Its Japanese name is "Crisis Prevention", and its flavor text notes the user "senses danger" when switching, so Golisopod isn't so much acting out of cowardice and more that it's a strong battler but also acting strategically: it will retreat if it recognizes it cannot win on its own and prevent itself from being defeated in an unwinnable matchup.

As highlighted before the inherent flavor difference does also allow them to differentiate the two further flavor wise in the event that they decide to distribute one or the other to other Pokemon in the future and turn either of them into a generic ability as a result. Since Game Freak isn't exactly interested in keeping most moves/abilities signature/exclusive moves forever there is always the possibility that they decide to widen the distribution of the abilities and they will give them out differently based on this flavor difference.

Castersvarog

formerly Maronmario
As highlighted before the inherent flavor difference does also allow them to differentiate the two further flavor wise in the event that they decide to distribute one or the other to other Pokemon in the future and turn either of them into a generic ability as a result. Since Game Freak isn't exactly interested in keeping most moves/abilities signature/exclusive moves forever there is always the possibility that they decide to widen the distribution of the abilities and they will give them out differently based on this flavor difference.
Heck, we've seen gamefreak do this since day 1 of abilities, Battle/shell armor work the same but have different meanings and work differently biologically, ones a shell being used as armor and the other is literal body armor, specifically samurai armor in japanese. Similarly with Clear Body/White smoke, you can't give Torkoal Clear body instead of White smoke without changing the design, same with the Regi's and White smoke, or Gooey/Tangling hair, Goodra doesn't have hair and Alolan Diglett isn't a slime creature. Pokemon really likes to try to make the pokemon make sense biologically with their abilities and moves, and I've gotta give credit to gamefreak for sticking to this idea since gen 3, it's a good way to keep gameplay and story integrated

Actually since people are talking about Wimp Out, I take issue with how it doesn't force an automatic switch out when getting hit by Intimidate. After multiple battles of seeing my Eject Pack Great Tusk cower in fear when fighting an Intimidate Landorus-T, it seems strange that Wimp Out doesn't also trigger when fighting an Intimidating foe .

I was thinking that Emergency Exit and Wimp Out could also be reworked to be an Eject Pack clone, but as things currently are, that wouldn't work. Golisopod has to rely on unstabbed CC, while Wimpod would have nothing to trigger an Eject Pack effect.

Actually since people are talking about Wimp Out, I take issue with how it doesn't force an automatic switch out when getting hit by Intimidate. After multiple battles of seeing my Eject Pack Great Tusk cower in fear when fighting an Intimidate Landorus-T, it seems strange that Wimp Out doesn't also trigger when fighting an Intimidating foe .

I was thinking that Emergency Exit and Wimp Out could also be reworked to be an Eject Pack clone, but as things currently are, that wouldn't work. Golisopod has to rely on unstabbed CC, while Wimpod would have nothing to trigger an Eject Pack effect.
Until this moment I forgot Eject Pack was even a thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)