(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

calyrex-ice and calyrex-shadow not taking the shininess of glastrier and spectrier into account. this is Very Little since these three mons are not even available shinies, but the idea annoys me lol
It’s weird and slightly irksome how inconsistent all three fusion Legendaries are when it comes to Shiny colors

Calyrex - Calyrex itself is Shiny while the horses aren’t

Necrozma - Both the Necrozma prism parts and the Solgaleo / Lunala component are Shiny (their pinkish tone looks similar to their regular Shiny versions when in Radiant Sun / Full Moon phase)

Kyurem - The Kyurem parts are Shiny, while the Reshiram and Zekrom parts are sort of ambiguous (their Shiny versions are still primarily white and black, respectively, just with slight differences in hue), but here’s the weird part — Black Kyurem has Shiny Zekrom’s green electricity, but White Kyurem’s fire is red like regular Reshiram’s, instead of purple like Shiny Reshiram’s

I wish they’d just pick a lane

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I imagine re: the fusions it would be not worth the effort at all to program it properly e.g Shiny Calyrex + Normal Horse and Normal Calyrex + Shiny Horse and Shiny Calyrex + Shiny Horse.

I agree with wanting consistency across the fusions though. I think it should be like Calyrex though, as Calyrex/Necrozma/Kyurem are considered the actual Pokemon after fusion.

Coronis

Impressively round
So.. the past 3 Gens we’ve had Team Skull, Team Yell (ugh), and Team Star. Do you guys think we’ll see another proper villainous team in the future or it’ll keep following this path? And do you want this to happen or prefer the direction its heading now?

(Skull was still kinda villainous but they started this trend of misunderstood misfits that Star took all the way)

Honestly I hope we do go back to that somewhat but I’m not sure I see it happening. I did enjoy the Team Star story a lot but I also just kinda miss the classic overarching villainous team trying to take over.

So.. the past 3 Gens we’ve had Team Skull, Team Yell (ugh), and Team Star. Do you guys think we’ll see another proper villainous team in the future or it’ll keep following this path? And do you want this to happen or prefer the direction its heading now?

(Skull was still kinda villainous but they started this trend of misunderstood misfits that Star took all the way)

Honestly I hope we do go back to that somewhat but I’m not sure I see it happening. I did enjoy the Team Star story a lot but I also just kinda miss the classic overarching villainous team trying to take over.
I do think it fair to argue that while Team Skull doesn't count, Gen 7 wasn't without a villainous team since the Aether Foundation is antagonistic. We know from the opening with Lillie that they're up to something bad, and reforming/"just following orders" with Lusamine doesn't disqualify them any more than Aqua and Magma, who are eco-terrorists with an in-their-head Benevolent end vs Aether serving a selfish (in SM) or short-sighted and arrogant (in USUM) Lusamine.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming

As someone who has a pretty low opinion of this series' villain writing I would be open to them trying a no-nonsense bad guy and their men again now that they got a better grip on writing in general. I mean a Cyrus/Ghetsis-level treat handled by the same writer(s) that gave us all the cool stuff in SV, there's definitely something there. Skull & Aether are cool as mentioned above but I don't think they quite fit what I'm talking about

Pokémon’s approach to its antagonists has only gotten more experimental over time, which in turn gradually shifts expectations. I’d be surprised if they ever just went straight back to the raw formula of the early days, but I could see them trying to find some new avenue for exploring a more organized villain group.

Personally, I’m curious as to whether they’ll ever just fully drop the “Team ____” schtick altogether (Legends: Arceus notwithstanding). I could see them eventually coming to think of it as a creative limitation.

I think they'll probably keep the path going because they seem more interested in trying different things with the concept. Gen 7 had Skull being sympathetic-but-obnoxious washed up kids & mostly unrelated AF's dark side was segregated to under the facility and not even know nby most people. SWSH had Annoying Sports Fans. Hisui's Galactic Corp had dissent in the ranks to begin with when Kamado started taking action and Volo was working solo. With SV Team Star was basically a second run at Team Skull but with a fuller examination of how they were failed and how both them & those who failed them could reconcile and the "real villain" of the game was a just shortsighted scientist who was long dead and left a ticking time bomb in their wake. Meanwhile Teen Drama was happening in the DLC.

Even the more direct attempts at villainous teams kind of went with different tweaks. Rainbow Rocket was bringing a bunch of things under one banner and having a fairly major universal take over plan. Macro Cosmos that we fight were just Oleana's selected goons, but the compan yas a whole is still painted in an "evil mega corp" light. The Loyal 3 (& Pecharunt) were just assholes.

I think even if we get a more "villainous" team it'll probably still be different in some manner. Sort of like with gym challenge. In Alola it didn't really exist and the trial system had a more personal touch and different background to it. Galar's gym challenge was a proper sporting event with different rules for its challengers. SV has it as one sectioned off chunk of story and is in-universe presented more like a business, complete with offices and interviews. Whatever form gyms take in Gen 10 will probably also be slightly different than usual.

Team Skull is misunderstood... By the players. People think they're just all comedy, but IMO they are the most realistic team we've ever seen in Pokemon.

It's teens that all felt ostracized by society and their families, joining under a charismatic leader, who also had that problem (Guzma was abused by his Dad). Team Skull is literally just a real life gang in Pokemon, in terms of why it exists and motivation. And it's made into comedy, because in the real world, people also kind of make fun of gangs in similar ways that the game makes fun of Team Skull. And because Alola is just lighthearted on the upper tone, dark on the undertone.

Some like to act like Team Rocket is realistic because oh money, but here is the thing, there aren't really Team Rocket grunts that are like "oh I need to feed my family," because that is the actual cause of most crime of that nature. It is literally just unsympathetic people who like money but never show any signs of actual struggle. Team Skull exists because Alola's society has an in-culture for its youth and expected path, and all else is somewhat discarded. That, and apparently child abuse runs rampant, as shown by literally several key characters to the storyline.

Team Skull best team don't @ me, also Alola is one of the few Pokemon regions with actual in-lore systemic problems which is cool. Fictional worlds that are utopias can get boring after 30 years.

I think team star is a legit team. they are Not villainous, they are Not evil, but they do their Job. they block the road At a point, without blocking the map (Still an open-world) and they enlighten the auto-battle mechanic. They are the Most kid-targetted team and I prefer a kid to face them more than team plasma cause team plasma is overrated and less for kids

The longshot I expect to see at least once is something similar to Aqua/Magma, but with the Player more clearly helping/actually a member of the good team in their version(complete with their outfit as a storyline reward). But the devs definitely are pulling back from outright evil enemies, so I don't think we'll see actual PokeMafia again.

I imagine re: the fusions it would be not worth the effort at all to program it properly e.g Shiny Calyrex + Normal Horse and Normal Calyrex + Shiny Horse and Shiny Calyrex + Shiny Horse.

I agree with wanting consistency across the fusions though. I think it should be like Calyrex though, as Calyrex/Necrozma/Kyurem are considered the actual Pokemon after fusion.
it's just kind of lame though that these end up being shinies that change very little, since calyrex itself isn't a very different shiny from its original and also not the focal point of the fusions. even "this glastrier/spectrier somehow becomes shiny when mounted by a shiny calyrex, and vice-versa" would have been enough for me

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
There is a non-negligibly-sized slice of this fanbase that is throwing the idea around of ILCA Johto and its mere mention is one that drains all love of life from my soul. I seriously think that if it were to be excreted into existence without massive improvements in approach from BDSP it would be the project that tips me over into no-holds-barred Pokemon doomer mode.

For the love of god, do not manifest this shit. Anyone who proposes it, even to make fun of the concept, should be ashamed of themselves.

There is a non-negligibly-sized slice of this fanbase that is throwing the idea around of ILCA Johto and its mere mention is one that drains all love of life from my soul. I seriously think that if it were to be excreted into existence without massive improvements in approach from BDSP it would be the project that tips me over into no-holds-barred Pokemon doomer mode.

For the love of god, do not manifest this shit. Anyone who proposes it, even to make fun of the concept, should be ashamed of themselves.
It'd be ILCA Unova anyway. The only people I've mention Johto as possibility for this year's game have been the weirdos who want a Johto Let's Go.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
If we ever get another Johto game (which I find unlikely) I am solidly in the camp of: let it just be Johto and Johto alone. No Kanto*.

Which I'm sure would immediately alienate some people. But my sympathy is limited as we've had Kanto retread after Kanto retread; suck it up.

Though I am aware as I say this that I think making a full Johto game with the existing shape and size of the region as it currently stands is a tough ask. Johto is small, and while GSCHGSS do a good job of filling that region so that traversing it takes its time, it just isn't enough to last a whole game. Realistically, even with the HGSS areas added in there'd have to be some expansion.

Which I think would be great - it has always bugged me (hence this post isn't a total tangent) that Johto has never gotten to be its own region, and it would be really cool for it to get to stand alone for once. I think there's ample room for a sequel game; hell, I didn't buy LGPE and I'd still be seriously quite tempted if they were to do a Let's Go Johto game. I think the moment for that has passed, though.

*Maaaaaaaybe the Sevii Islands if there's to be a postgame area? I mean that's never going to happen but they only got one outing and it'd be nice to see them again. Plus the Seviis are so Johto-coded it'd be interesting to work them in and perhaps dial back on that to make them a place for Pokemon from other generations. But, realistically, as I say, there's no way that's happening.

Coronis

Impressively round
Team Skull is misunderstood... By the players. People think they're just all comedy, but IMO they are the most realistic team we've ever seen in Pokemon.

It's teens that all felt ostracized by society and their families, joining under a charismatic leader, who also had that problem (Guzma was abused by his Dad). Team Skull is literally just a real life gang in Pokemon, in terms of why it exists and motivation. And it's made into comedy, because in the real world, people also kind of make fun of gangs in similar ways that the game makes fun of Team Skull. And because Alola is just lighthearted on the upper tone, dark on the undertone.

Some like to act like Team Rocket is realistic because oh money, but here is the thing, there aren't really Team Rocket grunts that are like "oh I need to feed my family," because that is the actual cause of most crime of that nature. It is literally just unsympathetic people who like money but never show any signs of actual struggle. Team Skull exists because Alola's society has an in-culture for its youth and expected path, and all else is somewhat discarded. That, and apparently child abuse runs rampant, as shown by literally several key characters to the storyline.

Team Skull best team don't @ me, also Alola is one of the few Pokemon regions with actual in-lore systemic problems which is cool. Fictional worlds that are utopias can get boring after 30 years.
Definitely not an unpopular opinion. And one I heartily ascribe to. Also best Team theme music. Uh-uh, Skull.

If we ever get another Johto game (which I find unlikely) I am solidly in the camp of: let it just be Johto and Johto alone. No Kanto*.

Which I'm sure would immediately alienate some people. But my sympathy is limited as we've had Kanto retread after Kanto retread; suck it up.

Though I am aware as I say this that I think making a full Johto game with the existing shape and size of the region as it currently stands is a tough ask. Johto is small, and while GSCHGSS do a good job of filling that region so that traversing it takes its time, it just isn't enough to last a whole game. Realistically, even with the HGSS areas added in there'd have to be some expansion.

Which I think would be great - it has always bugged me (hence this post isn't a total tangent) that Johto has never gotten to be its own region, and it would be really cool for it to get to stand alone for once. I think there's ample room for a sequel game; hell, I didn't buy LGPE and I'd still be seriously quite tempted if they were to do a Let's Go Johto game. I think the moment for that has passed, though.

*Maaaaaaaybe the Sevii Islands if there's to be a postgame area? I mean that's never going to happen but they only got one outing and it'd be nice to see them again. Plus the Seviis are so Johto-coded it'd be interesting to work them in and perhaps dial back on that to make them a place for Pokemon from other generations. But, realistically, as I say, there's no way that's happening.
I would love this because Johto is my favourite region, but unlike apparently most of the fandom I have always struggled to replay the games it's featured it. I don't want to repeat the usual annoyances people have with them, but it is kinda sad that it has never been allowed to be its own thing. It was designed as a Kanto expansion just like the whole second gen was just meant to add to the first rather than standing on its own but I would like to see an attempt at it. But the only way I can see it happening would be in a hypothetical Legends game.

Yeah in order to leave Kanto out it would pretty much have to be a more "distinct" experience to justify it. It's so core to the identity of GSC, that having Johto without Kanto even outside of a "remake" would probably be a tough sell.

Instead they should focus on bringing in a guaranteed sell that's right I'm saying bring back Kotorra

i don't think johto is that much smaller than kanto to not warrant its own full game. it has enough cities and route opportunities, the original game just didn't make them bigger. i also think johto can and should have a kanto-less moment, shake up that pokédex, etc. also, WE deserve a kanto-less moment.

on the ILCA matter i am not sure if BDSP being such a repressed remake is on them, or on gamefreak being wholly uninterested in giving good directions so they had no choice but to be overly faithful. i don't want to get confirmation either way with johto games, though, give them something else (realistically, another journey to kanto......)

i don't think johto is that much smaller than kanto to not warrant its own full game. it has enough cities and route opportunities, the original game just didn't make them bigger. i also think johto can and should have a kanto-less moment, shake up that pokédex, etc. also, WE deserve a kanto-less moment.

on the ILCA matter i am not sure if BDSP being such a repressed remake is on them, or on gamefreak being wholly uninterested in giving good directions so they had no choice but to be overly faithful. i don't want to get confirmation either way with johto games, though, give them something else (realistically, another journey to kanto......)
I also think Covid probably played a factor, especially depending on when specifically the game started development. GF mostly made the leap to WFH, no telling that ILCA was able to do the same. THen you add in what might have been a tight time schedule to begin with...BDSP's concept art being so different from what happened (also, the fact that there was concept art at all) also seems a bit striking.
Then the fact the game's day 1 update had to add things, like. The background for the start screen and the entire proper sound track and the ability to access the Battle Zone (especially odd since the whole thing was there??) and Ramanas Park (& then took many months to add the GWS) really makes it seem like the a lot of the development was rocky.

They could have ILCA doing GS or BW1 or whatever and there's really no telling where it'll go until we see it. There's too many unknowns with BDSP's development to say one way or another.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
For the record, I seriously doubt that a hypothetical ILCA Johto/Unova would be as dismal as BDSP. If nothing else they now have experience in making a classic-style top-down Pokemon game and, uh.... well let's just diplomatically say a lot of feedback to learn from

That said, come on. Why are we seriously considering the idea of the second remake of a Game Boy Color game, or a remake of a DS game famous for its sprite art and general presentation using that system's constraints? Are our imaginations so hollowed out? Are we so resigned to this crap? We always say that the Pokemon machine is heavily flawed and behind the curve in many ways and that we need to demand better, so can we actually start doing that?

The most r/Pokemon take because literally it's just capitalism lol, what they are doing is the most profitable, why would they stop doing it

It's long term viable as well, is this going to be the like 5th game in a row where people say "if people buy this, they will buy anything"?
I'll be a ILCA BDSP 2 doubter when reddit and twitter solve capitalism and Pokemon creates World Peace

The problem ILCA had was that it was one of the shortest dev cycles of any Pokemon game (which is saying something), so I do not have much belief in a new ILCA game releasing just two years after the last one either. Not because I think the staff are not talented, they are (people who say otherwise have not seen ILCA's portfolio), but time is everything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 8)