(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
It's a little sad that GF figured out a way we can transfer Pokémon from Virtual Console RBY to Bank, but we can't trade Pokémon from the actual cartridges (and GSC) to the Virtual Console versions to transfer those as well.
This, though, is a bit different to my normal rants here. Most of the time I say things that GF could fix in the future, or flaws in the game that happened that really shouldn't have. This is something that, really, can't be fixed. The only way it could be is if GF or Nintendo or whatever released a piece of hardware for the specific purpose of trading between the original Gameboy and 3DS, and hence would in no way be commercially viable. It's a thing I kind of have to accept - I just wanted to say this because I'm kinda sad about it, I guess.
How the HECK is that going to work?
Courtesy of Linkara.

Any time you are forced to team up with your friend (read: incompetent NPCs) against trainers in a double battle. Most of their Pokemon are HORRIBLE (DPP's rival chooses to use Muchlax against Bronzor and keeps on spamming Stockpile for no reason) leaving it in a 2 v 1 situation. The only time this isn't annoying is when Lance teams up with you in the Rocket Hideout in Mahogany (where his Dragonite will happily curbstomp the Rockets if you don't do so beforehand) ; the Silver tag team vs Lance and Claire is horrible though.

Any time you are forced to team up with your friend (read: incompetent NPCs) against trainers in a double battle. Most of their Pokemon are HORRIBLE (DPP's rival chooses to use Muchlax against Bronzor and keeps on spamming Stockpile for no reason) leaving it in a 2 v 1 situation. The only time this isn't annoying is when Lance teams up with you in the Rocket Hideout in Mahogany (where his Dragonite will happily curbstomp the Rockets if you don't do so beforehand) ; the Silver tag team vs Lance and Claire is horrible though.
There are a few other pretty good ones - Riley's Lucario and Mira's Kadabra spring to mind.

This just made me think of battling with Nate in Black 2. His Serperior sucked and he kept attacking what I was going to (look, my level 100 EV trained competitive Tyranitar that I just traded from Black can handle it. Attack the other 'mon, you moron).

In fact most of the Stat Trainers were ok in that regard. Cheryl's Chansey wasn't that great but ehhh... At least all of them also fully healed you after each battle. It made the areas, even when it was effectively 2v1 more bearable.
Thing is though, if by that time you only used a couple of Pokemon (this always happens on my DP runs), but have more low-level Pokemon in the back, it's a great grinding opportunity.

When XY first came up, I had high expectations on the "star" of PokeParlour/Amie that is Nymphia/Sylvie. But her animations were just OK. Instead, Showers/Vaporeon went straight to be one of the cutest ever there. Still love both anyways....

And hate veterans in Battle House with perfect legendary Pokemon.

Pokemon Shuffle Liiiiiitttle Thing that annoys me ... Before the daylight saving time, the "daily" update was at 7:00 am for me, that was fantastic, because I could play the new stages in the bus while going to work ... Now I have to wait to go at home to the update ...

Ok not a big problem, but I enjoyed when it was earlier :)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
They finally released Pokemon Snap for the Wii U Virtual Console (in Japan, but I'm going to guess it's going to get a global release in the following weeks):

Because I guess just now, being the 20th Anniversary, they looked through their old game titles, found Snap, and thought "hey, wouldn't it be neat to use the Wii U gamepad like it was a camera"?* You know, the same conclusion we ALL realized year's before? I'd even say the Wii U would have been the perfect opportunity to make a Snap 2. Heck, thinking about it, the 3DS has a gyroscope so they could have made Snap 2 for it.

* Yes, I know there was a port for the Wii (which also had an added feature of posting the pictures you took on the Wii Message Board so hopefully they do something similar with the Wii U port), though I'm more talking about it in terms of using the Wii U gamepad as a camera than the game's availability.

Last edited:
I don't know if this has been touched on yet, but I don't like that game freak always has the same type of pokemon in the early routes. You got your normal rodent, bird and bug of some sort. No one ever gives a shit about the normal rodent lol and besides Lilipup, all of them are pretty bad. I'm also 99% sure the bird in the Sun&Moon teaser is going to be your classic route1 bird. Like I know Game Freak is trying to preserve tradition or something but there's so many other options and design choices.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Birds, bugs and rodents serve the purpose of easing new players into the game. It's the sort of creatures you'd find in your back yard. Small animals, which don't really stand out, and are easily captured/domesticated. Only later do you get to see the exotic creatures the world of Pokémon has to offer, and "unlock" the more exciting and powerful monsters. The first Pokémon you find are the baby steps of your journey, barely walking into the woods outside your town, where the most mundane creatures live.

The bugs serve the double purpose of showcasing evolution very early on and in an intuitive way. Larvae - pupae - fully evolved whatever. They evolve quickly, and become noticeably stronger once they reach their final form. They show that this is how most Pokémon grow. If memory serves me correctly, all the Pokémon found in the first few routes of every game will evolve at least once.

With a few exceptions, the early game Pokémon are nearly always very "basic" types with simple type chart interactions. The usual FGW triangle, Normal types which hit and take hits for normal damage (for now), Bugs which are burned by fire and eat plants, Flying creatures that eat bugs and plants. Only later will you see the more complex and less intuitive interactions between types such as Psychic, Ice, Dragon, Rock and Ghost.

With all that being said, the designers are kind of limited on options when designing early-game Pokémon. They have to be "back yard" creatures, they have to evolve somewhat early, they have to have "simple" types with intuitive type chart interactions, and they can't be so strong that they outpower the Pokémon you meet later - after all, the designers want you to try out a variety of Pokémon, incentivizing you to swap out your first few captures when their power level starts to wane mid-game. Also, they have to make new Pokémon for every generation, since you want long-time fans to feel that something new is happening, with new creatures, locations and moves. Reusing older designs won't do, after all the players should feel that the new game they bought does include new content.

So not only are Triple Battles a pointless concept that no-one actually plays or cares about.
But at least in every single Gen 5 game I've owned, they are really badly programmed.
Basically, if two or three of your pokemon are knocked out in a triple battle round - at least in every gen 5 game I've owned - when it goes to your menu and you select a pokemon to send out, you can't send out another. When you click on a second pokemon to send out, for some reason it says "[Pokémon's name] cannot be switched out!"
I don't know how something this major passed by the programmers - especially for a whole new battle style that was a selling point of the game - or why it wasn't fixed in the sequel, but for some stupid reason, it seems to assume that when you click on a pokemon to send out, it is already out on the battlefield.
Today I was playing through a new file of White. I had gotten just past Mistralton city onto Route 7. I had encountered this glitch a few times in the past few years so I should've known to save; but hey, I didn't know this one particular trainer on this one particular route would Triple Battle when no other trainer in the game seems to give a shit, and I also didn't know he'd have a team of fully evolved Pokémon that would get really lucky with their crits.
And because I hadn't saved in a while, it cost me so much progress I'm now back at Driftveil City with 4 badges. Thanks, game. Thanks a fucking bunch.

So not only are Triple Battles a pointless concept that no-one actually plays or cares about.
But at least in every single Gen 5 game I've owned, they are really badly programmed.
Basically, if two or three of your pokemon are knocked out in a triple battle round - at least in every gen 5 game I've owned - when it goes to your menu and you select a pokemon to send out, you can't send out another. When you click on a second pokemon to send out, for some reason it says "[Pokémon's name] cannot be switched out!"
I don't know how something this major passed by the programmers - especially for a whole new battle style that was a selling point of the game - or why it wasn't fixed in the sequel, but for some stupid reason, it seems to assume that when you click on a pokemon to send out, it is already out on the battlefield.
Today I was playing through a new file of White. I had gotten just past Mistralton city onto Route 7. I had encountered this glitch a few times in the past few years so I should've known to save; but hey, I didn't know this one particular trainer on this one particular route would Triple Battle when no other trainer in the game seems to give a shit, and I also didn't know he'd have a team of fully evolved Pokémon that would get really lucky with their crits.
And because I hadn't saved in a while, it cost me so much progress I'm now back at Driftveil City with 4 badges. Thanks, game. Thanks a fucking bunch.
Actually you first select the replacement then the switch, it's very counter intuitive.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
I want you to close your eyes for a second and imagine you're on Pokémon Showdown in Gen 7. You're in the teambuilder, making an OU team, and you're scrolling through the list, and suddenly... you see Unown. In OU. How can this be?
It turns out that Unown got insane buffs this generation. Although its moveset wasn't improved at all, its stats are amazing. It's still very frail but its Special Attack and Speed have become top-notch, and players have started to use sets with Choice items, Sash, whatever they want.
You feel happy for Unown. Forgotten for five generations, it suddenly becomes a top-tier threat. It can run any Hidden Power it wants, and although it won't sweep any teams, it has the ability to apply massive pressure on the opponent.
"All because of Game Freak", you think to yourself.
At the moment, though, Unown is staring its low BST and unviability in the face.
All because of Game Freak.
DARNIT GAMEFREAK

I kind of wish there were more Pokemon Amie animations for each Pokemon. At least for those introduced in Gen 6, and perhaps the Gen 1 ones too. It can get a little annoying seeing Sylveon run in that little circle over and over and over.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I want you to close your eyes for a second and imagine you're on Pokémon Showdown in Gen 7. You're in the teambuilder, making an OU team, and you're scrolling through the list, and suddenly... you see Unown. In OU. How can this be?
It turns out that Unown got insane buffs this generation. Although its moveset wasn't improved at all, its stats are amazing. It's still very frail but its Special Attack and Speed have become top-notch, and players have started to use sets with Choice items, Sash, whatever they want.
You feel happy for Unown. Forgotten for five generations, it suddenly becomes a top-tier threat. It can run any Hidden Power it wants, and although it won't sweep any teams, it has the ability to apply massive pressure on the opponent.
"All because of Game Freak", you think to yourself.
At the moment, though, Unown is staring its low BST and unviability in the face.
All because of Game Freak.
DARNIT GAMEFREAK
At this point the only way Unown would become viable is if they get a signature item/Ability (I actually thought of what this would be, but that would be on the edge of wishlisting). But the thing is GF doesn't really see Unown as a Pokemon, they see it as something to collect a set of and to maybe use as a minor story device. I think they should definitely do something with Unown, mainly give us a reason to collect all of them, but asking to making them viable in battle I don't think is something they plan on doing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)