SV OU Long time player, but new to competative - First Team

So I've built a team based really just on things I like. Actual team composition feels like it's my biggest issue (no duh, this is a team composition board) and I appreciate I probably have way too many Physical attackers trying to do the same thing and not enough control. Still, I'm sitting about 50/50 on in game comp and Unbeaten after 10 on Showdown though I understand that's randos so not something to base actual quality on. It does come with a plan but as I say, new to Comp so how effective that plan is, well that's the question.

Glimmora @ Red Card
Ability: Toxic Debris
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature - Tera Grass
- Stealth Rock
- Venoshock
- Power Gem
- Energy Ball

Meowscarada @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Play Rough
- Flower Trick
- Knock Off

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
Tera Type: Steel
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Aerial Ace
- U-turn
- Thief

Ceruledge @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flash Fire
Tera Type: Fire
Jolly Nature
- Bitter Blade
- Close Combat
- Shadow Claw
- Swords Dance

Gallade (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sharpness
Tera Type: Psychic
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Psycho Cut
- Sacred Sword
- Leaf Blade
- Aqua Cutter

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Tera Blast
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Glimmora & Meowscarada are my leads depending on what I see in my opponents team. I tend not to use Glimmora vs especially special heavy opposition but this meta is still leaning pretty physical, much like my own team. Red Card is a neat little trick against those early scouts and if it's a physical attack can even set up a free poisoning on the replacement coming in. Of course if it's a Poison type it renders it redundant but messing with the opponents plan can sometimes be enough. Meowscarada can go in as a scout and see what I'm up against, U Turn out if needed or switch its type to avoid major damage.

Scizor, Gallade & Ceruledge all serve much the same purpose, being the attacking Coverage threat again depending on what I am up against. Not 100% sold on any of their items. I'm not a fan of Choice items at all if I'm honest but I can see the use. They try to fill in as much coverage as possible, with only Sacred Sword/Close Combat crossing over. I do admit I tend to find myself defaulting to Scizor more, with Gallade being chosen vs Water/Dark heavy teams. Ceruledge tends to always be the 3rd option and only if I see Grass threats or opposing Scizors/Tinkatons.

Gastrodon, being my only Tank, walls Water types for the most part and is a solid answer to Dragons with the Steel Tera Surprise there to catch out the inevitable Grass types. When I was testing for doubles Gastrodon & Gallade just completely shut down a Dondozo/Tatsugiri combo which impressed me enough to keep the latter around.

Alternates I'm thinking of.
I think Gallade & Ceruledge are the ones i'm looking at the most. They are both excellent at what they do, but what they do is kinda narrow and I have little resilience. I'm thinking of a Physical Tank like Garganacl or a Tera Avalugg and possibly switching Ceruledge but not sure what for. I kinda wanna run a Hisuan Arcanine but I know that's a ways off.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)