Magic Bounce

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
The Pokemon/ability combinations might not have to be programmed into the game, but the abilities themselves absolutely do.

Even then, I'm not convinced. In the coding for the game, Pokemon don't have a space where any ability can be listed. They have a space that can have a 1, 2, or now a 3. (Or however Dream abilities are handled.) For Slaking, those numbers all tell the game to give it Truant. As far as I know, there isn't any way it could have Pure Power.
What I'm saying is that it is possible for Game Freak, or even a hacker, to create a Pure Power Slaking. Truant is the only ability you can normally get in-game, but it's because that's the only ability the game gives you a way to get. Back in RSE, you simply *couldn't* have a Pure Power Slaking as the abilities were programmed in a different way (I believe they were "hard-coded" into the pokémon data) as they were in 4th Gen.

Ok I just re-read the whole conversation and now I got why we are having this misunderstanding lol. So yeah, we don't know yet how the abilities are related to the pokémon in the coding, but what we do know is that, back in DPPt/HGSS, they could have ANY ability, but the game only gave you 1-2, and they were PID-related. The Dream World ability-pokémon combos are programmed in-game, such as the PID ability-pokémon combos were last gen. That's what we know for 101% certainty.

While we don't have any concrete evidence, I'd dare saying a Dream World pokémon will evolve and change its ability to its evo's respective one. So, Adaptability Feebas will evolve into Cute Charm Milotic. It would be possible to get an Adaptability Feebas through breeding, but I'm sure Game Freak would want them to be restricted so you'd probably still need a Dream World male/female parent.

Ok now you guys can get back on-topic sorry.

Espeon will Go to OU or BL at least mainly due to entry hazards! it becomes a Stall break because blissey and skamory cant harm it any more really and it draws out its counters so you can counter em...

Espeon has high speed and nice special attack it might be frail but it has use once it has a team to back it up... its your teams best protection to hazads/status so why not Espeon??

I LOLed from the critical hit Seismic Toss ... Go Blissey!!!

Guardian: Espeon - Timid @ Leftovers
Evs: 252 HP 252 Spe 4 Def
- Wish/Yawn
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Signal Beam

I only wish Espeon learned Heal Bell :(

Yay Espeon!! woot woot

I LOLed from the critical hit Seismic Toss ... Go Blissey!!!
Even Blissey's crit. LO boosted Seismic Toss fails to 2KO Espeon.

I think Sub-Passing is the most useful way to use Espeon. Maybe CM or Cheer Up passing too. Espeon really needs it's own thread.

With all the new fighting types, I hope Psychic turns out to be a good attacking type again. Not like Gen 1 good, just better than Gen 4. Gen 2 nerfed Psychic really hard; I want to see it make a comeback.

I wish Alakazam learned Psycho Shift.

magic coat reflects rocks/spikes? use it on their lead then explode on them or something. you get hazards they don't ;)

Espeon is now the ultimate counter to Breloom.
Agreed. Little things like this can really boost Espeons usage. No longer would you fear having to make a decision to choose to switch in a Pokemon to lose its Lum Berry or to make the sacrifice for now and let it sleep.

Though, has anyone came up with a good set for this (I haven't read all the posts yet)?

~ Aether Nexus

Agreed. Little things like this can really boost Espeons usage. No longer would you fear having to make a decision to choose to switch in a Pokemon to lose its Lum Berry or to make the sacrifice for now and let it sleep.

Though, has anyone came up with a good set for this (I haven't read all the posts yet)?

~ Aether Nexus
Any of Espeon's sets would work well here, since all it needs is psychic. If you catch Breloom using spore before its toxic orb activates, you put it to sleep. If its already poisoned, the effects are (presumably) negated. If it uses substitute on your switch-in, you still have little to worry about, since neither seed bomb nor focus punch will OHKO. And psychic will wreck Breloom's shit all the way back to Hoenn. Of course, there's always the possibility of something like a technician Breloom throwing out bullet seed + mach punch at its switches, but this has very limited utility for Breloom outside of handling a few specific threats, so you're still more likely to be reflecting a spore than eating an attack.

Espeon's real worries come from dealing with things like T-Tar and Scizor. You can run hidden power and try to predict their switches, but this is shaky at best. Espyjump can get out of trouble easily, but also has trouble passing its sub along. An Esepon that sets up screens can be useful here, since it supports the team and has a means to get out alive. A sub + 3 attacks set could work, or even a sub + baton pass + 2 attacks set. Grass knot and HP fire work well together on the first set, and the second set can just baton pass out of trouble.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
People are underestimating Espeon. It cannot be stopped by status anymore and can setup (or espyjump) significantly easier now. Switching it into a predicted status move is hilariously awesome. (IE Spore, bulky water using toxic...)

More incentive to use Espeon over zam.
True but alakazam now has wonder guard, and that hit defense move.

finally, psychics are becoming powerful again..

Wow, I thought it was just going to work like Magic Coat. This is a fantastic utility; it effectivly gives you a +1 just by switching in. I just wish there was a nonpsychic type with if but hey you can always hp fire for scizor and friends

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
oh wow...so they changed it huh? Well, MM is still more effective since you don't have to waste the moveslot for switching in. However, MC is very respectable for leads
Read further down and you'll see that Magic Mirror is just a permanent Magic Coat, reflecting everything that Magic Coat does.

Read further down and you'll see that Magic Mirror is just a permanent Magic Coat, reflecting everything that Magic Coat does.
yeah, I saw that. I was just saying that you didn't have to waste move with MM and could just switch in to reflect the hazards and such

Wait, does pursuit still hit if you baton pass out and not switch? Cause if not Espeon could easily just bp out when Ttar etc show their faces and come in later using Magic Mirror just as well. All depends on if pursuit still hits on the bp, as I don't remember if it does or not.

Baton Pass doesn't count like a normal switch, so it didn't trigger Pursuit in gen IV, and it likely won't now.

if leads see espeon though they will instantly not use a move like stealth rocks or leech seed so it will be more effective if you have a false lead and then switch into espeon to reflect the SR or whatever they want to set up with!

I guess I might try this shit out on WiFi and see how good it will be. Espeon was always one of my favourite pokemon thanks to Pokemon Colloseum xD. I'd probably will not use it as a lead since it's better to switch into SR like some people said. I'd probably just go with this moveset:

Espeon @ Focus Sash/Life Orb
Ability: Magic Mirror
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 Satk / 252 Spe
Moves:
~ Grass Knot / Baton Pass
~ Hidden Power Fire
~ Shadow Ball
~ Psychic
~~~ Yeah, probably this. Full offensive Espeon. Baton Pass would be nice since it negates Pursuit pretty much and you can switch to Lucario and activate Justice Heart, but I would rather have a check against Swampert and other Bulky Waters, as well as Tyranitar. Which is why Grass Knot is listed as the first option. Anyway, You can use this together with Zoroark to confuse your opponent. Yep yep, this'll pwn.

I'm thinking that Magic Mirror Espeon has many useful roles. It can be used as an anti-lead, status blocker, Breloom counter or a key component of an effective BP chain.

Magic Mirror would give Espeon many more potential switch-ins. In an early game (non-lead) situation, I'd say that the use of straight-off BPs would be the most effective move. With the large group of counters to avoid (ScarfTar and Bullet Punch are faster than you), it acts as an effective scouting method - much like Scizor's U-Turn. Once the counters are cleared, Espeon itself is a fairly dangerous threat.

In a BP chain, if I understand correctly, Espeon would be immune to the ever-present threat of Taunt, and even phazing(???)... I'm not sure about the second. Even confusion and attract (lol) are no threat to the chain.

I know I'm looking forward to it...

In a BP chain, if I understand correctly, Espeon would be immune to the ever-present threat of Taunt, and even phazing(???)... I'm not sure about the second.
Espeon is immune to Roar/Whirlwind with Magic Mirror, yes. The question is whether or not Magic Mirror reflects Dragon Tail's secondary effect (I'm guessing no, but I can't know for sure yet). Still, it would probably be an excellent addition to a BP team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)