Move Magic room

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
mons with setup moves such as swords dance/nasty plot holding a choice item under magic room could be decent
but really magic room is just a bad gimmick mostly
Agreed, but I think the whole Choice Scarf + boosting move gimmick could work well on certain mons, especially in the lower tiers or on the lower ladder. Something like this:

Gothitelle @ Choice Scarf
Timid
Shadow Tag
252 HP/252 Spd/4 Sp. Atk
-Magic Room
-Calm Mind
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Thunderbolt/Shadow Ball/Hidden Power [Fighting]

Gimmicky as all hell and very likely not to work, but the premise is:
Trap something that can't hurt you, Magic Room first turn (it's pretty likely to go first while the Choice Scarf is in effect), then get a bunch of boosts. Then, go to town with a +2/+3 STAB or coverage, outspeeding everything. It looks like a Battle Maison set lol. I'm gunna make one to troll noobs with.

Agreed, but I think the whole Choice Scarf + boosting move gimmick could work well on certain mons, especially in the lower tiers or on the lower ladder. Something like this:

Gothitelle @ Choice Scarf
Timid
Shadow Tag
252 HP/252 Spd/4 Sp. Atk
-Magic Room
-Calm Mind
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Thunderbolt/Shadow Ball/Hidden Power [Fighting]

Gimmicky as all hell and very likely not to work, but the premise is:
Trap something that can't hurt you, Magic Room first turn (it's pretty likely to go first while the Choice Scarf is in effect), then get a bunch of boosts. Then, go to town with a +2/+3 STAB or coverage, outspeeding everything. It looks like a Battle Maison set lol. I'm gunna make one to troll noobs with.
I believe this doesn't work. I think that if you use Magic Room while choice locked, Magic Room will be choice locked after Magic Room ends.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
Both ways are believable, however ensurdagen's way makes slightly more sense so I'm more inclined to believe it, given how Pokémon mechanics usually work... Anyone have a Magic Room Pokémon on cartridge with which to test this? I'd do it myself but I really need sleep :)

Both ways are believable, however ensurdagen's way makes slightly more sense so I'm more inclined to believe it, given how Pokémon mechanics usually work... Anyone have a Magic Room Pokémon on cartridge with which to test this? I'd do it myself but I really need sleep :)
i've tested it, magic room nullifies items completely, during magic room you are not choice locked, it acts as if you don't even have an item

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
Do you become locked into Magic Room again once the effect end, or can you pick a new move to be locked into? Because if you're automatically locked into using Magic Room again, it completely defeats the purpose of using a Choice item and Magic Room itself...

From Bulbapedia:

A Pokémon locked to a move by the effect of Choice Band, Choice Specs, or Choice Scarf will remain locked to that move after Magic Room ends
I tested it, too. Note that I tested the effects of Trick first, and then tested it without Trick. If the choice item is tricked on and off during Magic Room, then you can choose a different move. If you want to use Magic Room on a choiced pokemon, give that pokemon Trick, but it will be fairly ineffective due to Magic Room. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-104839802
Use Magic Room on a separate pokemon, not a choice-locked Magic Room setup sweeper. Switch into the choiced pokemon when Magic Room has 2-3 turns left and set up with those turns or use coverage moves to clear counters. My favorite Magic Room setters are Mega-Banette and Cresselia, I used it in UU until half my team got banned. Klefki might be interesting, as would Smeargle.

Last edited:
Can anyone test on cartridge if this negates mega stones? this move gave me a wicked idea

Looks like it doesn't according to bulbapedia

Last edited:
This move sounds shocking, and I can't think of why you would ever use it beyond some sort of easily counterable gimmick - any opponent who lets you use a boosting move and then revert back to having those boosts under a choice item isn't going to be a good player in the first place.

As others have said, Knock Off exists and does a better job at getting rid of anything but sashes than this move does as it's a permanent effect. It also doesn't have an atrocious priority bracket, with the right match up you could Knock Off a Band before they could use it which can never be said here. In the opening of the thread it says it counters Gliscor, but Gliscor only needs to be in one turn when you don't have Magic Room up to get his Poison Heal.

For the Gothitelle set, run Trick instead of Magic Room. Trick a mon who's not notorious for attacking, set up, kill them off and then try for your sweep. I hate to say it, but Scarfed 65 speed is pretty terrible, and CM does nothing to patch up Gothitelle's mediocre Defense. Even then, this isn't a good use for a trick set - you're far better using your completely free switch to set something good up.

By using the move, you're wasting a turn where you could be attacking, statusing, setting up, screening, setting hazards, clearing them away or healing status or health for other pokemon. All of those actions have a direct correlation to doing damage or receiving less damage/recovering health - Magic Room cannot say the same in every instance. It's even less viable in this gen due to megas, and you also run the risk of doing your opponent a favour by oppening up coverage they may not have had before with a choice item.

Though this move is fun, please don't try and use it seriously - it's a terrible, terrible idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)