Maractus (Skeleton) [QC 3/3]

EDIT: Still working on this, trying to do a little while I have the time.

[Overview]
<p>Initially, Maractus doesn't look that good; overall she has low stats, her move-pool is a bit shallow, and the NU tier has just about every other Grass Pokemon that people would ever consider using. However, upon closer inspection one notices that she has a nice SpAtk stat of 106, the ability Chlorophyll, and the moves Growth and Spikes. What this indicates is that Maractus was built for one thing and one thing only: abusing the Sun. While under the Sun, Chlorophyll Maractus is the fastest user of Spikes in the entire tier, and with Growth her SpAtk stat can be boosted by 2 stages, making her much more intimidating. Whether used as a supporter or as a set-up sweeper, Maractus is a unique and rarely-seen Pokemon that all Sun teams should try at least once.</p>

[SET]
Name: Sunny Spikes
Move 1: Sunny Day
Move 2: Spikes
Move 3: Giga Drain / Leech Seed
Move 4: Hidden Power Fire / Toxic
Item: Heat Rock
Ability: Chlorophyll
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpAtk / 252 Spe

[Set Comments]
<p>Maractus should only be used on a Sun team, and this set allows her to support a Sun team to the best of her ability. Technically, this set cannot be outclassed by another Pokemon because Maractus is the only Pokemon in the tier that can run it. Maractus needs to either be used as a lead or come in on something that isn't going to threaten her, after which she needs to summon the Sun. With Heat Rock equipped, the Sun will be high in the sky for 9 more turns, during which Maractus is faster than Timid max Spe Choice Scarf Jynx (although it shouldn't be staying in on this threat), something few Pokemon can boast. With her speed boosted, Maractus lays down Spikes faster than anything else in the entire tier, and that's exactly what she should be doing. If Maractus is still alive by the time she's dropped down her Spikes, she can use her decent SpAtk stat to harm whatever is against her, although it's probably smarter to switch out. Her other 2 move slots are for damaging the opponent in the best way possible; Giga Drain heals a slight amount of damage and Hidden Power Fire is boosted by the Sun, while Leech Seed and Toxic provide healing and damage respectively while crippling walls and giving your next Pokemon a small amount of added support</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>The given EV's allow Maractus to take hits and outpace everything in the tier under Choice Scarf Jynx after the Sun has been summoned. Timid is the nature this set should always run, as the extra speed is vital to the set. Heat Rock is the primary item to be used, as it lengthens the amount of time the Sun will be up. Moves you can use other than those listed are few and far between, but Synthesis stands out as being great for healing if you'd rather not use Giga Drain or Leech Seed and also heals by a far greater amount due to the Sun.</p>

<p>Obviously, the first Pokemon that you'd want as Maractus's teammates are Pokemon that can abuse the Sun. Magmortar and Camerupt compliment Maractus's Grass typing while also having their Fire moves strengthened by the Sun, and Chlorophyll abusers such as Exeggutor, Victreebel, and Leafeon become threatening sweepers while the Sun is up. Stealth Rockers such as Golem and Regirock also make great partners due not only to the extra hazards they can lay but also the type synergy they have with Maractus. Toxic Spikes are also appreciated, but the only things in the tier that can use them are Garbodor and Tentacool. Counters to this set aren't very hard to find; Pranksters with Taunt, set-up sweepers, and enemy Magmortar can easily stop Maractus from doing anything useful for your team and KO her. Beware of Ninjask, as it can outpace Maractus after one turn of Speed Boost, and can OHKO with X-Scissor.</p>

[SET]
Name: Growth Spurt
Move 1: Growth
Move 2: Giga Drain
Move 3: Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Rock
Move 4: Spikes / Sucker Punch
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Nature: Timid / Modest
EVs: 64 Def / 252 SpAtk / 192 Spe

[Set Comments]

<p>This set aims to make Maractus as volatile as things like Shiftry and Victreebel by abusing Chlorophyll and Growth while the Sun is up. Like any set-up sweeper, you want to come in on something you can force out easily like Quagsire or Golem, and then use Growth to raise your Atk and SpAtk +2.
-Uses Growth while in the Sun to attempt a sweep
-Giga Drain heals off Life Orb damage
-Shallow movepool forces it to run HP Fire/HP Rock, but Fire hits very hard while Sun is up
-Depending on the nature it can out-speed everything slower than Jolly Choice Scarf Sawk (Timid) or Jolly Choice Scarf Braviary (Modest)
-Spike if you find the opportunity/need hazards more than immediate power
-Sucker Punch can be used over Spikes if you'd rather be purely offensive

[Additional Comments]

-Petal Dance or SolarBeam possibly over Giga Drain, but Maractus really needs the extra healing
-EV's are to outspeed as many standard sets as possible, while also retaining a small amount of bulk, use 20 Def / 252 SpAtk / 236 Spe if you choose Modest.
-Really needs team support to succeed, not an easy set to use effectively
-Entry Hazard support is also appreciated, especially Stealth Rock, which can cripple incoming Flying or Fire types who are trying to stop Maractus's assault
-Teammates include Camerupt and Torkoal, who both can set rocks and abuse the sun, something to summon the Sun (pranksters, Mesprit, etc.), and Rock types such as Golem and Gigalith who have good type synergy and can also set up rocks
-Without Sun support it will die, period

[Other Options]

-It can heal with Synthesis
-Physical movepool includes Wood Hammer and Sucker Punch, but it's lower Atk stat and lack of physical coverage moves make a physical set unappealing
-Acupressure and GrassWhistle if you're feeling lucky
-You can try subseeding, but Maractus doesn't have the bulk for it
-Other ability is Water Absorb, which makes Cacturne completely outclass its first set and Shiftry completely outclass its second set

[Checks and Counters]

-Lickilicky has enough SpDef to take a hit and phaze you out with Dragon Tail
-Magmortar, as well as most Flying types, will wall sets without Hidden Power Rock
-Steel, Grass, and Ice types will wall sets without Hidden Power Fire
-If the Sun isn't up, anything faster with passable offense threatens to 2HKO it
-Priority Ice moves
-Ninjask with Focus Sash shits all over you

[Dream World]

-Storm Drain could be useful, as it grants Maractus a water immunity and a boost to its SpAtk, but the Chloro-Growth set gets more Spe and SpAtk while under the Sun

Endorfins

Your Worst Nightmare
is a Contributor Alumnus
Mention that Maractus can set up its own Sun if needed especially if you want to use Maractus as a speedy spiker.
Also, why not use sucker punch in the growth set? After the sun runs out, Maractus can still hit hard with +2 Sucker Punch

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Not much I can recommend here except a less dumb set name. Isn't it kind of weird to have Spikes on a time-clocked weather sweeper?

breh

強いだね
spikes is probably the only option that may be any good; I'm not sure whether Leech Seed, Solarbeam, Synthesis, or Toxic work in that slot, but they are literally its only viable moves bar spikes. its coverage is so bad that it does not even have sludge bomb. its tm list, viewed on serebii, takes up a bit less than one screen.

also, I'm not sure what exactly it is that you're doing with that spread. 144 Spe Modest gets Swellow, 184 Spe Timid gets Scarf Sawk (both in sun; maractus isn't outspeeding much witout it lol). Anything more is excessive.

Ok, changed the set name, mentioned a possible Sunny Day set in the OO, and slashed Spikes for Sucker Punch because it can't afford to lose growth or its other attacks.

Spikes is pretty important on the main set though, as it points out Maractus's only niche in NU: Its status as the fastest Spiker (under Sun at least).

Poor little cactus-girl; her moves list is fucking terrible.

@Breludicolo, I could lower the speed on the Timid side down to only 192 EV's, which would allow it to out-speed everything under Jolly Choice Scarf Sawk (which is probably the fastest common Pokemon down here) and put the rest into Def to make it slightly more bulky. I'll also lower the speed on the Modest side to 236 EV's to outspeed everything under Jolly Scarf Braviary, and dump the rest into Def. Sound good?

breh

強いだね
so uh... am I doing something wrong? I'm fairly sure that scarf sawk is outsped with just 184 and braviary takes only 232..

EDIT: just dump the rest in HP.

So yeah we talked about this on PO. To be honest, I would give Sucker Punch the main slash. I see no point wasting precious sun trying to spike. You do not have that good of a bulk, and yeah, it can Spike, no problem but I would go Cacturne if I really want to spike. I think it's a little personal preference here.

Though it would be a worse shifty...

Jolly Scarf Sawk hits 442.5, or 443 (it rounds up, right?), so Timid Maractus needs 444 Spe, which is 222 not in sun, which it gets with 188 Spe.
Jolly Scarf Braviary hits 426, so Modest Maractus would need 427, and since you can't double and get an odd number, 428, which would be 214 not in sun, which it gets with 236 Spe.
Pretty sure my math is right on this, but a few double checks would be nice.

@Charge, Spikes is the main choice on the 4th slot because that's Maractus's only niche in NU. It's the fastest spiker, I think the people wanting to spike in Sun would like to know that.
Sucker Punch kind of helps, but honestly the reason it's not the main move is for the exact thing you just said: It would be a worse Shiftry. I'd rather show what makes it different from the other Pokemon before I start giving it sets that other Pokemon are running to better effect. If that makes sense :/

Edit: I'd also like to point out that Maractus has slightly better bulk than Cacturne and is going to be healing off damage it takes with Giga Drain, allowing it more turns to possibly use Spikes. Technically not "wasting sunlight" if you're using turns to set up things that are going to continue helping you throughout the match, right?

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
maractus already has little reason to be used, but is a support set with sunny day+spikes worth it? you can come in on stuff like slowking and set up a sunny day (maybe with heat rock, even) and then proceed to spike until you die (shouldn't be long) then use the remaining sun turns to go sweep shit with better chlorophyll users. seems like a better idea to me than trying to be both an inferior cacturne and shiftry at the same time. that way you don't have to waste precious turns of sunlight switching to maractus and setting up growth, as well as saving you slots, compressing hazards + sunny day setter.

I've mentioned running Sunny Day in the OO, but honestly I don't think it's worthy of its own set.
I wouldn't call it an inferior Shiftry, because it's not trying to be Shiftry; it's trying to do damage and support its team if it can. Maractus is fast, can set Spikes, and can do a lot of damage against Pokemon that don't resist it. And it can effectively do all three with proper support. Also, it takes a lot longer for it to die if it's firing off Life Orb+Growth-boosted Giga Drains, allowing it more opportunities to set Spikes rather than just jump in and spam the move until it dies.
I'm not saying I'm flat-out refusing to add the set, but I do find it hard to see how successful it can really be. :/

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I've mentioned running Sunny Day in the OO, but honestly I don't think it's worthy of its own set.
I wouldn't call it an inferior Shiftry, because it's not trying to be Shiftry; it's trying to do damage and support its team if it can. Maractus is fast, can set Spikes, and can do a lot of damage against Pokemon that don't resist it. And it can effectively do all three with proper support. Also, it takes a lot longer for it to die if it's firing off Life Orb+Growth-boosted Giga Drains, allowing it more opportunities to set Spikes rather than just jump in and spam the move until it dies.
I'm not saying I'm flat-out refusing to add the set, but I do find it hard to see how successful it can really be. :/
Which is why I'm advocating testing it, at least. The reason why I'm concerned with the first set is that I find it difficult to even fit on a team anyway: first, you have to consider the fact that you're running it over another potential chlorophyll sweeper, and you also have to consider that you also are using up Sunny Day turns to both set up Growth and use Spikes. I think by using Sunny Day > Growth, you get to actually slap a niche onto this thing by having it set up hazards effectively and set up Sunny Day for your sun sweepers. I feel like right now, the way the set looks, it's just a waste of space for a Sunny Day team. A set where it becomes one of the more effective Sunny Day users and sets up hazards at the same time seems far more effective than one that tries to both sweep and set Spikes at the same time.

I'm not saying that the first set should be removed, but rather that this one should be at the very least tested. It would probably be even better post-tier shifts, when you consider that both Charizard and Victreebel (two sun abusers) are dropping.

@Zebraiken: Alright, I see where you're coming from. It's looking better to me today than it did yesterday. I'll try and come up with the rest of the set later this week when I have more time, as well as test it out. From your suggestion it's just swapping Growth out for SD and LO for Heat Rock, right? Another set's not going to hurt anyways.

@Breludicolo: What were you using to check the EV placement? I was manually comparing each Pokemon in the PO Teambuilder, what about you?

breh

強いだね
I figured it out; I forgot about the missing IV as a result of using HP rock/fire. yeah, 188 and 236 are right!

Ok, a few things have changed:
1) Added a new set specifically for support
2) Fixed the EV's on the second set and explained what you can out-speed
3) Added a few counters
4) Changed the wording of a few parts to make it easier to understand

Edit: Added teammates to the AC, as well as mentioned the need for Stealth Rock support on the Chloro-Growth set.

This should be ready for any QC checks, and I'd appreciate further advice in general.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

I fixed the formatting issues, you need spaces in between slashes like / this, and never include more than one EV spread in the EV section.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)