ORAS OU Mega-Charizard X - Can't take my claws off you.

Hello everyone, I've been trying over weeks to get a balanced team around Mega-Charizard X. I've worked weeks and the team itself changed a lot since the very beginning. Now every change I do will be in bold.

My main goal is to clean all the checks and counters of Charizard and start setting up, the dual screens will help me depends of the team I'm dealing with.

Old team:

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Dance
- Roost​

Starting with the as. First of all, I've tried and tested many spreads in Charizard X, and since it isn't that bulky, a simple 252-252 doesn't really works, since it needs at least one Dragon Dance for start sweeping, two for sweep Walls.
I choose Flare Blitz over Fire Punch mostly because Dragon Claw doesn't have much raw power, but using Outrage wasn't really a choice since I didn't wanted to be locked.

Using this set and eliminating threats like Heatran, Landorus-T, Azumarril, Bisharp and Conkeldurr, Charizard is able to sweep most of the party as long as I don't have to deal with Rocks.

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Defog​

This actually was the last Pokemon I choose. I was running Choice Scarf-Latios before, but Flygon is the only Pokemon able to resist both Rock, Fire and even Ground with Levitate (and doesn't really have a problem with Excadrill since it runs Scarf and EQ).
I use Flygon mostly for Defog and its resistances, but it really lacks of power and bulk. I need to be careful using it, since it doesn't resist much damage, but it works well sponging switch-in attacks.

Klefki @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Thunder Wave
- Play Rough​

This Klefki works along with Charizard. Leading with Klefki it's perfect since I can't cripple leads with TW, set up dual screens and I use Play Rough mostly for Pokemon with Fairy weakness and for no being locked in case it's taunted.
My team has a problem: it lacks of counters for Conkeldurr and I don't have any Pokemon that resist Fighting moves, but after a Reflect, I can 3-4HKO Conkeldurr with Play Rough. That's why I choose it over Foul Play since I also use it before.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Pursuit​

Pretty standard, but it works as my revenge killer. I can go along Rotom or Flygon using U-Turn and Volt-Switch. Using Superpower I can deal with Heatran, Bisharp and Magnezone, but it doesn't OHKO Ferrothorn. U-Turn works well with Starmie, Latios and Slowbro. Scizor works great resisting Ice damage, which is needed for protecting Flygon.

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off​

I really needed a Pokemon who could use Ice moves, mostly for Landorus and Gliscor, but I found out running Mamoswine that its EQ hits very hard, and I found out myself taking Eviolite from Chansey and eliminating Psychic Pokemon with Knock Off.

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 SpA
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch​

Since my team has three Pokemon weak to Ground, I needed something to check and counter Ground types, and using this spread, I've been able to counter Azumarril, Landorus and if it isn't boosted, Mega-Diance as well.
I choose Sitrus over Leftovers because is not very bulky, and most of the time I need a quick boost of health more than little amounts of it.

Actual Team:

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 12 HP / 252 SpA / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

I run Heatran since I need to set up Rocks in order to be able to reach OHKO with Charizard at +1 in some bulky Pokemon. Also, I needed a stallbreaker, since I had trouble before with Skarmory and Breloom, who can be taunted before it uses Spore, and even if it uses Mach Punch instead of Spore I am able to survive and switch safely into either Charizard or Latios.
I am able to check Excadrill as long as I have the Air Ballon. I can also check another Heatran if it isn't a Ballon user as well.

Klefki @ Light Clay
Impish Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Thunder Wave
- Play Rough

Klefki works either very early on the match or in late game, depending if there's fast threats like another Charizard, Talonflame, Lati@s or Mega-Altarias. I try to use the screen I need for the team, depending on how long the match is going. I choose Play Rough over Foul Play mostly because I can deal slighly better damage to some Pokemon, and it work better with some threats like Conkeldurr.

Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Earthquake
- Defog

I needed a good hazard-remover. I've tried Assault Vest Starmie, Choice Scarf Excadrill and Flygon and even Latios. Life Orb Latios does a better job and not being locked into Defog, hitting hard with Draco Meteor and being able to hit Heatran and Magnezone with Earthquake, which is the reason why I choose Earthquake (and Latios) over Healing Wish (and Latias). Latios also helps me like a very needed check to Keldeo and Conkeldurr.

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
EVs: 240 Atk / 16 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Freeze-Dry

Mamoswine, besides not being so bulky or fast, it does the job very well if the switches are played right. It can hurt threats like Rotom-W and Slowbro and other Ground types like Landorus. Life Orb over Focus Sash due to the fact Mamoswine needs more power than it gets. I hesitated about still using Icicle Crash having Freeze-Dry there, but for more defensive spreads in Landorus-T and Gliscor it gets me a better percentage of OHKO than FD.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Pursuit

Scizor works along with Charizard X, having good coverage and priority and boosted (Choice Band+ Technician+STAB) Bullet Punch. With Pursuit I deal with Lati@s and Gengar, and slow U-turn gets me a "free" switch. Superpower is used when buffing, hitting Magnezone and Ferrothorn hard, OHKO the first one and 2HKO the second one. Using Scizor when the dual screens are set it can take several hits and be able to respond back.

EVs: 104 HP / 220 Atk / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

I decided to go Jolly over Adamant because with that spread is able to outspeed Mega-Sceptile and Choice Scarf Landorus at +1, and even get a chance of 80% to OHKO after Stealth Rock
220 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Landorus-T: 271-321 (84.9 - 100.6%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

At +1 and the threats being cleaned, Mega Charizard X is able to sweep all the way. Flare Blitz is chosen over Fire Punch for wallbreaking purposes, and that's why Roost is chosen over Earthquake.
The main goal is to eliminate the primal threats of this Pokemon and get a chance to set up, sometimes with the help of dual screens.

Replays (editable):
-http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-222524144
-http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-222319800
-http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-222925486
-http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-224642602

Threats (editable):
Keldeo it's a real threat for my team if Latios doesn't get to manage it before it dies.
Mega-Gyarados can be a potential check for all my team in general depending on the moveset it runs. With Mold Breaker, is able to hit Latios. Waterfall kills Mamoswine and Heatran. Earthquake hits both Klefki and Mega-Charizard, and some Gyarados carry Stone-Edge. My strategy against them it's to paralyze them and use Scizor when it has good HP for U-turn or Superpower it, since it can OHKO them.
If Mapaphy gets a Tail Grow I cannot do much against it, specially if Latios isn't there anymore to hit a Draco Meteor and then finish it with Bullet Punch. He has sweeped my team once.
After now a while batttling with this team, I've encounter several sets using Azumarill, which is very difficult to beat since I don't have really a counter for it. I have to play in order to do some damage with Latios using Psyshock, or Mamoswine getting a switch-in with Freeze-Dry. Even with that, it's a pain to me to deal with this Pokemon
Talonflame it's been a huge threat when it comes to sweep. Even when I've cleaned the checks so I can start sweeping, I need to have Reflect and have Charizard with at least 80% so I can survive Brave Bird. I don't have anything to counter, except only Heatran which checks it, but I can't hit it with Fire Blast until it dies.

Another threats who can't really sweep my team but it could be game-breaking:

Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

Klefki @ Light Clay
Impish Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Thunder Wave
- Play Rough

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Freeze-Dry

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Latios @ Life Orb
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Earthquake
- Defog

Scizor @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Pursuit

Special thanks to Celticpride who helped me in the OU SQSA thread and guiding my team into a better way.

Last edited:
You lack a good special sweeper, and flygon can serve as your revenge killer.

Too physical for my taste, look at Starmie for some spinning, speed, and special coverage.

On zard, 184 jolly speed is ideal since it outspeeds Lando, 200 speed adamant because it outspeeds sceptile and beedrill.

You have a lot of redundant coverage, 2 dragons, 2 grounds, 2 bugs, I would look into more diversity.

Is this meant to be balanced? I could see you really making use of something tanky, like the vulture for your defog support and a decent physical tank.

I'm aware that I'm lacking special sweeper, but even more concerning is that the team entire is too weak to special attacks. I use Flygon because it resist both Fire and Rocks, and has Levitate, which is needed for the many ground threats my team has. I'll try using 200 speed on Charizard, but unless I put Reflect first I doubt I'll be able to sweep with it, since it needs at least two hits to KO Landorus-T. I do think I'm having too much of the same types, but since I have two U-turn in the two Choice users I thought it could work; besides, Flygon doesn't have a great moveset. I may be able to change Flygon and using Mandibuzz instead, but I can't get that much damage from Rock type. Recently I changed Mamoswine for Gliscor, but instead of using it as a stale I'm running this:
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Atk / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Ice Fang
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

I change it only because Mamoswine had weaknesses to the types I was looking to take down with Ice moves.

And you don't need to be rude, of course it's meant to be balanced, but I'm learning.

Hello, as I touched upon in OU SQSA, I'm here to take a look at your team. On Char-X, I'd run a spread of 104 HP / 220 Atk / 184 Spe with a Jolly nature, as that beats Scarf Landorus-T, often the only blanket check to Char-X most offensive teams have. From the looks of it, the goal of your team is to secure a Char-X sweep, which is actually an easy goal to build around. I would go to Latios > Flygon. Scarf Flygon is not a good Defogger (being locked into Defog is never a good idea tbh). LO Latios is a good hazard clearer and also packs a punch. From here, you should try and eliminate Char-X's checks. Mamoswine is actually a good fit here, but a Life Orb set with Freeze-Dry helps break down defensive answers to Char-X. LO Mamo does a great job dealing damage to Slowbro, Hippowdon, Gliscor, Mega Altaria and Quagsire. Lastly, I would also go from Rotom-W to offensive Heatran. Char-X needs Rocks to score several important KOs at +1 (most importantly that Scarf Lando-T match-up), and Heatran also fills Rotom's role as a Talonflame check. With Speed investment and an Air Balloon, Heatran can also check several Ground types, such as Adamant Excadrill outside of Sand.

Hope that helps! Just let me know if you need anymore help.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Latios @ Life Orb
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Earthquake
- Defog

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Freeze-Dry

Hey, Celticpride, thank you for replying and for the advice. Since you replied in the OU SQSA thread, I looked into the doughboy teaches teambuilding series, and now I know that a team needs to have a goal, which as you said, is to set up around Charizard X. Even before reading the guide I knew my goal was that, and I was using a dual screen setter for that (here is Klefki, but now I am using Espeon) but even knowing that I used the other Pokemon for coverage, either defensive and offensive, but now it seems a little redundant. I think (and correct me if I'm wrong) what I need to do is not get coverage for all types, but to cover the checks and counters for the Pokemon my goal is center to. Also, I read in the guide I should have a plan B, a second winning condition to win. Now I am using a little different team, which involves Serperior, which is (I believe) my second winning condition, if Charizard fainted but all the checks for Serperior are cleaned, it can set up using Leaf Storm and attacking behind a substitute.

In this case, back into the cover the checks and counter for Charizard X, many threats are checked (like Slowbro with Freeze-Dry and U-turn) but since Master_Marshamllow said I got a lot of redundant coverage (and now with the Pokemon you provided I'd have three ground attacks) isn't that bad? I am still trying to understand how this works, because the team doesn't have any Electric/Water attack either, and my last doubt is if I ran into Scizor for example, how should I proceed? Since they carry superpower/Brick break and u-turn/x-scissor, I couldn't switch into Heatran, but my guess is to switch into Charizard, is that right?

Lastly, I wonder if the decrease of attack in Charizard (now 220 attack and Jolly over Adamant) is enough to OHKO at +1. I'm interested on how to do the calculations right, since I noticed you used a more bulky spread, is that for something in particular?

Sorry for so many questions, I am very interested on learning properly how to do a competitive and effective team, and before editing my thread I'd like to know I'm sure I understand. Thank you in advance for your replies.

I wouldn't worry about redundant coverage. Actually, I've never seen any complaints about that outside of a monotype setting, which is a totally different thing. Not all types are created equal, and some are just inherently more valuable. Ground itself is valuable because it hits many Steel types (outside of Skarm and Bronzong) for at least neutral, if not SE, damage.

As far as a second win condition, yes that's probably a good idea. I was more focusing on getting Char-X to the point that it can sweep efficently. You don't need a second wincon, but it can be helpful. Also, stick with Klefki, Espeon stinks as a dual screener.

Char-X is a very good Scizor check, to respond to that point. It's faster and resists Bullet Punch, which severely limits Scizor’s ability to actually do any damage. Char-X can take an unboosted Superpower on the switch, and Roost safely the next turn knowing Scizor is likely to switch out. The current meta is quite friendly to the Zards, and this actually hurts Scizor because it is such an easy entry oppertunity.

Bulkier Char-X have an easier time setting up. You need the speed tier to beat Scarf Landorus-T, and the attack just gives it a large chance to OHKO after SR damage:

220 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Landorus-T: 271-321 (84.9 - 100.6%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

I think that is everything you just asked about, hope that helps. Stopping by Battling 101 may also be helpful if you want a tutor.

I'll take a look at that, and before anything happens I want to try the new team, now sticking with Klefki. Thank you a lot for the responses and for the tutoring you gave me. I'll take a look into Battling 101 later on.

Hey brah, cool looking team! n_n
Yeah so first off, you have a huge keldeo weakness, in my opinion, with mostly all of your team being hit hard by Specs Keldeo. So to deal with this problem, I suggest running Latias > Flygon. Latias is a great help to your team, providing a defogger, to get rid of rocks for Megazard and the rest of your team to switch in easier. It also can provide Healing Wish if you'd like it. Healing Wish can fully heal any other team member that's almost down/crippled, but not already downed pokemon. It also can nuke the opponent w/ Draco and it has Psyshock for coverage. It's also somewhat the special wall that ya need n_n So yeah, Latias:

Pokemon: Latias
Item: Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Healing Wish

And for your physical wall - Rotom-W - I suggest running the EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe with a Bold Nature. The 44 Speed EVs are useful for outspeeding max jolly azumarill which can be somewhat of a threat n_n This defensive set will make you less weak to birdspam, such as Talonburd, Mega Pinsir, etc. In addition to making Rotom less weak, I suggest Leftovers > Sitrus Berry. Sitrus Berry isn't that useful in OU as Leftovers is more superior in my opinion. :P Also, I suggest replacing Thunderbolt w/ something like Pain Split? Pain Split helps with recovery more as since Rotom's a physical wall, it'll probably be used to switch into Knock Offs which'll get rid of your Leftovers/Sitrus Berry so then you'll lack a form of recovery. Therefore, Pain Split would be a useful move in this situation. n_n

Pokemon: Rotom-Wash
Item: Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Nature: Bold
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

That's all for now n_n
~Nam

Thanks, Namdachu, now I edited the thread, but I decided to replace Rotom and Flygon, but for an EQ Latios!
Celticpride I thank you a lot for your help, I've been testing my team and even tho I have some problems when I encounter teams with several of the threats listed in the thread, I am able to manage myself to set up and sweep with Charizard, I'll start to save more battles so I can post them here!

If you want, you can opt to run Thunderbolt > Earthquake on Latios. Mega Slowbro pretty much is a problem for your team, since he apparently walls most of your team. With Thunderbolt, you can take on bulky waters better without being forced out after dropping a Draco Meteor. Also, Thunderbolt allows you to revenge kill Belly Drum Azumarill, while a +6 Aqua Jet fails to OHKO Latios.

However, you should only apply these changes if you're fine with having one less check to opposing Scarf Heatran, so you have to play more carefully against it. Your Air Balloon Heatran is a one-time check to Scarf Heatran, though. I'm not sure what other changes to teammates you have to make, from changing some movesets or swapping out team members, at the moment.

That's all for now.

Thank you for the feedback. Indeed, Mega Slowbro (and many Water Pokemon) stands a threat to my team. I can handle a Slowbro or even a Mega, but when the opposite team has Manaphy+Slowbro or Keldeo+Manaphy or more than one bulky Water pokemon I find myself in trouble. I'll do some test, since I could go Timid over Hasty in Latios if I were removing EQ.

I hope I'm not doing a double post. I'd edit it, but since it's been a long time since the last message I'm guessing it's not the same infraction as making a double post right away. If there's any problem please let me know.

Okay, I think I'll be doing Thunderbolt>Earthquake on Latios, since it let me covers threats like Azumarill, Slowbro, Manaphy and Gyarados. The only problem is that I still don't have anything to deal with Talonflame, which is why I thought I could go Defensive Slowbro>Klefki. It changes a lot my strategy since I wouldn't have dual screens anymore, but I'd still be able to use Thunder Wave on Slowbro. The only problem is that I wouldn't have a safe switch-in into Landorus-T, being threatened by U-turn, which I could use Heatran but only depending if I don't need de Ballon anymore.

If I change Slowbro, should I be still using Thunderbolt on Latios? Earthquake it's been great against Magnezone, Heatran and some Bisharps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)