ORAS OU Mega Scizor Balance(sort of Bulky offense) team

|
|
|
|
|

Introduction

Hey everyone! I've been having a lot using mega Scizor. I feel that it is probably the best mega in OU right now. As such, I wanted to build a team around mega Scizor (not only that, but it looks awesome too!). This team got me to around 1580 on the ladder, however now I'm in the 1300-1400 range. Any constructive criticism is greatly appreciated! Thank you.
The purpose of the team is to wear down and break holes in the opposing team to allow for a Scizor sweep. Through wall breaking and status, Mega Scizor can effectively sweep. In regards to the title, I call it balance thanks to the balance of walls and offensive mons, but I am not sure if it could also be considered bulky offense. With that said, here's the team!

The Team

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch

Mega Scizor: the mon that inspired the team. I feel that a bulky spread with swords dance is the best set. Thanks to the maximum attack stat, and high HP stat, it has a very easy time setting up. I chose to use a different spread than what is on smogon because I wanted more immediate power. Roost helps with longevity; swords dance allows it to reach insane levels of damage. Bug bite is a powerful alternative stab from bullet punch, and against paralyzed mons, it doesn't have to rely on bullet punch. Finally, Bullet punch provides it with powerful and needed priority, and is necessary.

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Grass]

I chose Volcanion for two reasons: one is that I need a way to deal with steel types, which greatly trouble scizor, and that I needed a strong wallbreaker to punch holes. The ev spread is used to maximize its attacking power and hp. Steam Eruption and Fire blast are powerful stabs that can deal massive damage. Sludge bomb lets it hit fairies on the switch, and hp grass deals with seismitoad and quagsire, which are very annoying to the team. Also, volcanion can lure both those mons, making hp grass a great choice.

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Iron Head
- X-Scissor

I chose Terrakion because I needed a decently fast, and very powerful wallbreaker. It also breaks the things that volcanion can't, like Chansey. It's typing complements it as well, being able to KO electrics like Zapdos. I chose to use choice band because I needed immediate power, and it's sort of hard to set up with Terrakion. The Ev's maximize speed and attack which are the most important. Close combat is extremely powerful, and is what I click most of the time. Stone edge allows me to hit flying types like zapdos for super effective damage. Iron head allows me to hit fairies like clefable on the switch. X-Scissor bulky Grass types like Tangrowth hard that try to switch in.

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Defog
- Iron Head

At this point, I realized that my team is very frail, and needed something that could both remove hazards, and set them. As such, I thought Skarmory is the perfect fit. I chose a specially defensive set with rocky helmet so that it can take on both special and physical attackers on well, thanks to its naturally high defense. Stealth rock allows me to set hazards. Roost increases skarmory's longevity as it switches into things a lot. Defog provides hazard removal which is crucial on a team like this, especially with volcanion. Finally, I chose iron head because it allows me to effectively anti-lead Diancie. Also, with paralysis support from clefable, it can paraflinch things to death, or wear down checks and counters.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast

At this point, I noticed that my team is incredibly slow, and that even with skarmory, it isn't exactly potent defensively. As such, I thought T-wave Clefable would be perfect. Thanks to its fairy typing, it can take fighting type attacks for Terrakion, and provides a useful resistance to knock off. Twave is the main reason I use this set. Calm mind greatly increases its bulk, allowing it to take hits a lot better. Softboiled allows it to recover off damage easily. Finally, moonblast is a useful stab, and with calm mind, it can even act as a sweeper.

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Superpower

Finally, at this point I noticed a few things. These were: The team is very weak to talonflame, electric types are very annoying for the team, and that it needed a reliable offensive pivot and revenge killer. I thought that Tyranitar fits all of these roles perfectly. Choice scarf allows it to become much faster, and an effective revenge killer. It also gives me a way to outspeed anything that is base speed 115 or lower. Pursuit allows it to trap a lot of things, and is very effective at eliminating various threats. Stone edge lets it hit flying types for huge damage. Crunch is a secondary stab, and can play good mind games against mons that are pursuit trapped easily, as some people predict a pursuit and try to tank it. Superpower allows it to hit steel types on the switch for massive damage.

Conclusion

So that's it! Any help is greatly appreciated, and I am open to changes. Thank you for taking the time to read this through!
Here's a PS importable:
Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Poison Jab
- X-Scissor

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Defog
- Iron Head

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Superpower

So running dual rocks and dual steels is usually not a good choice. Plus, your team is weak to opposing offense-particularly sand. exca has a field day 4/6 with mons, and it's not like scizor wants to take +2 eqs. meanwhile, skarm isn't gonna do anything to exca, who can sd again and break you with rock slide. Every good team needs way to stop sand, which is strong in this meta.

So, I'm gonna recommend the most tried and true defensive ground type we've got- Lando T. I'm on mobile rn so I can't give a set but you'll want 244 hp/ 244 def /8 spd/ 8 speed. Run SR, earthquake, stone edge, and u turn. This can replace skarm, which is too passive for your team and doesn't fit on bulky offense. a nice slow u turn helps get in volc too.

Now, having 3 choiced users is kinda excessive. 2 is usually too many, but you can make it work. I'm gonna recommend you change terrak to Latios. Run recovery+ defog+ dual STABs with LO. Latios is a solid hazard remover with good offensive presence. If your opponent has a TTar, aggressively double switch to avoid being trapped.

Hope I helped!

PS Band over Scarf on tar is worth considering but idk

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
o: nice triple choice balance squad. i'm surprised this squad is working out well for you cause during my testing it kept bricking as choiced terrak + ttar kept forcing me to go into my defensive cushions which were easily exploited by my opponents. i had to play aggressively in order to utilise the raw power that those mons provided but overall it felt a bit out of place. in any case, i think this is a pretty cool team that could use a bit of work to improve.

after testing, i noted that your team is actually quite solid barring the bricking from the triple choiced mons. much like what the rater above me said, your exca switch in is msciz and skarm and even though they work as checks to rapid spin variants of drill, LO SD drills are super common on sand teams and having a way to effectively threaten them is amazing. honestly, cb terrak is rly rly powerful but im just not feeling it on your team so my first suggestion is to just simply swap terrak out for scarf lando-t. why scarf lando-t? so that you have a good way to revenge kill certain mons as well as retaining much needed speed to clean up against offensive teams. scarf lando-t also helps you scout out moves and set so that you can switch into something safely and make use of the information from the u-turn.

the reason why people run scarftar is not entirely for speed. it just to ensure that they are able to get the fast two turn kill on pursuit on the occasions where you lose the 5050 against mons like starmie , latios and whatnot. it just so happens that with scarftar there's the added benefit of having extra speed to deal with other mons like dealing with offensive exca out of sand (provided you come in when sand is up and ends on that turn) as well as trapping mons that like to turn/volt out. now that you have made the swap for scarf lando-t, i feel that scarftar can be forgone for something that can much more effectively deal with stall teams (which you can easily have problems with). hence my next switch is for you to use fast rocks taunt tran over scarftar. this gives you a solid way of forcing stall into an uncomfortable position as well as being able to come in multiple time to force out common stall mons. a helpful advice i can give is to not mindlessly switch in your heatran onto knock offs because the lefties on tran become a lot significant when compounded and once heatran loses its lefties, it becomes a lot more easier to deal with for stall.

here is an optional change that i will suggest: due to how your team is now currently structured, you are actually not just immensely zone weak but should your volc go down, you are actually rly water spam weak (in particular specs / lo keld here will ruin your day.) this change here will reduce the likelihood of you getting destroyed by keldeo but it means that my suggestions would've resulted in a change of 3 full mons on your team and is something i worry will change the style of the team to something that is not to your taste. my suggestion here is to run lo latios + recover defog over skarm. with msciz, you currently shouldn't have any issues with mdiancie alr and with the new changes i suggested, you should be a lot more resistant to losing to the standard conventional team and with this newest change, you now have a way to deal with random skarms and water spammers as well as not being entirely specszone weak.

lastly, some minor ev changes: msciz should run max atk max speed jolly to hit 273 speed so you dont risk losing to random stuff like jolly base 70s like loom and bish. if you feel uncomfortable running such an offensive spread on a more balance oriented team, running a spread of
248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD impish also works and helps provide a lot of more bulk so that msciz can get multiple opportunities to set up. hopefully my suggestions help you climb up the ladder more and improve your team so that it rectifies some of the weaknesses that are present. good luck and have fun in the game! /cheers/
Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Roost

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Roost

OR

Scizor-Mega (F) @ Scizorite
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Bug Bite

So running dual rocks and dual steels is usually not a good choice. Plus, your team is weak to opposing offense-particularly sand. exca has a field day 4/6 with mons, and it's not like scizor wants to take +2 eqs. meanwhile, skarm isn't gonna do anything to exca, who can sd again and break you with rock slide. Every good team needs way to stop sand, which is strong in this meta.

So, I'm gonna recommend the most tried and true defensive ground type we've got- Lando T. I'm on mobile rn so I can't give a set but you'll want 244 hp/ 244 def /8 spd/ 8 speed. Run SR, earthquake, stone edge, and u turn. This can replace skarm, which is too passive for your team and doesn't fit on bulky offense. a nice slow u turn helps get in volc too.

Now, having 3 choiced users is kinda excessive. 2 is usually too many, but you can make it work. I'm gonna recommend you change terrak to Latios. Run recovery+ defog+ dual STABs with LO. Latios is a solid hazard remover with good offensive presence. If your opponent has a TTar, aggressively double switch to avoid being trapped.

Hope I helped!

PS Band over Scarf on tar is worth considering but idk
Ah ok Landorus-T should help then, since i agree that skarmory is a bit passive. I will also consider latios. Thanks a lot for your input!
o: nice triple choice balance squad. i'm surprised this squad is working out well for you cause during my testing it kept bricking as choiced terrak + ttar kept forcing me to go into my defensive cushions which were easily exploited by my opponents. i had to play aggressively in order to utilise the raw power that those mons provided but overall it felt a bit out of place. in any case, i think this is a pretty cool team that could use a bit of work to improve.

after testing, i noted that your team is actually quite solid barring the bricking from the triple choiced mons. much like what the rater above me said, your exca switch in is msciz and skarm and even though they work as checks to rapid spin variants of drill, LO SD drills are super common on sand teams and having a way to effectively threaten them is amazing. honestly, cb terrak is rly rly powerful but im just not feeling it on your team so my first suggestion is to just simply swap terrak out for scarf lando-t. why scarf lando-t? so that you have a good way to revenge kill certain mons as well as retaining much needed speed to clean up against offensive teams. scarf lando-t also helps you scout out moves and set so that you can switch into something safely and make use of the information from the u-turn.

the reason why people run scarftar is not entirely for speed. it just to ensure that they are able to get the fast two turn kill on pursuit on the occasions where you lose the 5050 against mons like starmie , latios and whatnot. it just so happens that with scarftar there's the added benefit of having extra speed to deal with other mons like dealing with offensive exca out of sand (provided you come in when sand is up and ends on that turn) as well as trapping mons that like to turn/volt out. now that you have made the swap for scarf lando-t, i feel that scarftar can be forgone for something that can much more effectively deal with stall teams (which you can easily have problems with). hence my next switch is for you to use fast rocks taunt tran over scarftar. this gives you a solid way of forcing stall into an uncomfortable position as well as being able to come in multiple time to force out common stall mons. a helpful advice i can give is to not mindlessly switch in your heatran onto knock offs because the lefties on tran become a lot significant when compounded and once heatran loses its lefties, it becomes a lot more easier to deal with for stall.

here is an optional change that i will suggest: due to how your team is now currently structured, you are actually not just immensely zone weak but should your volc go down, you are actually rly water spam weak (in particular specs / lo keld here will ruin your day.) this change here will reduce the likelihood of you getting destroyed by keldeo but it means that my suggestions would've resulted in a change of 3 full mons on your team and is something i worry will change the style of the team to something that is not to your taste. my suggestion here is to run lo latios + recover defog over skarm. with msciz, you currently shouldn't have any issues with mdiancie alr and with the new changes i suggested, you should be a lot more resistant to losing to the standard conventional team and with this newest change, you now have a way to deal with random skarms and water spammers as well as not being entirely specszone weak.

lastly, some minor ev changes: msciz should run max atk max speed jolly to hit 273 speed so you dont risk losing to random stuff like jolly base 70s like loom and bish. if you feel uncomfortable running such an offensive spread on a more balance oriented team, running a spread of
248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD impish also works and helps provide a lot of more bulk so that msciz can get multiple opportunities to set up. hopefully my suggestions help you climb up the ladder more and improve your team so that it rectifies some of the weaknesses that are present. good luck and have fun in the game! /cheers/
Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Roost

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Roost

OR

Scizor-Mega (F) @ Scizorite
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Bug Bite
Thank you so much for the advice! yeah I think i will use scarf landorus-T then, because it seems to be more useful than terrakion.
For heatran however, Im a bit confused. If I don't replace skarm, I would already have a stealth rocker (skarmory). Should I replace skarmory with heatran then?

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Ah ok Landorus-T should help then, since i agree that skarmory is a bit passive. I will also consider latios. Thanks a lot for your input!

Thank you so much for the advice! yeah I think i will use scarf landorus-T then, because it seems to be more useful than terrakion.
For heatran however, Im a bit confused. If I don't replace skarm, I would already have a stealth rocker (skarmory). Should I replace skarmory with heatran then?
should you not follow the optional changes that i suggested then running protect / flash cannon are both viable options over stealth rocks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)