ORAS OU Mega Venusaur Bulky Offense

For my first RMT I wanted to go back to one of my favorite Megas in XY which is Mega Venusaur. Right now Mega Venusaur is one of the best counters to Azumarill and Keldeo, which are pretty popular. It also stops rain teams from wrecking havoc. So without further ado, here is how I build a team

Teambuilding process:

I wanted to make a team around this core. Mega Venusaur stops Azu and Keldeo completely. And since Mega Venu is really weak to Psychic, Flying and Dragon Types (mainly the Lati twins) I decided to use Empoleon as support, plus it can either Defog or set up Stealth Rocks.

Next I wanted to use a strong Fire-Type that can do a significant amount of damage and at the same time deal with Adamant Mega Metagross. Victini was a perfect mon and it also finished the G/W/F core.

Next I needed a way to deal with Mega Sableye and in general deal with Dragon types. A bulky CM Fairy-Type like Clefable was a really great fit for the team.

I noticed I had a really big Jolly Mega Metagross weakness because they usually carry Earthquake. Landorus-T was a great mon for this team because it can utilize Choice Scarf really well and it can pivot out using U-Turn. And I needed a way to outspeed most mons that weren't scarfed.

Lastly, I wanted something that can T-Wave spam in order for either Victini or Landorus-T to clean up. And I really wasn't creative on this one, I thought an offensive mon like Thundurus that can T-Wave spam could be really useful for a bulky offense team like this.

And finally, the sets I used:

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 24 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Mega Venusaur is one of the best counters to Keldeo and Azumarill as I said before. HP Fire is there to hit Ferrothorn for lots of damage. I didn't want to play around EVs because there wasn't anything significant that Mega Venu would be outspeeding. Rotom-W can't do anything to it anyway, and losing bulk for extra speed is meaningless. Plus Sludge Bombs is a 2HKO on both Lati twins while Psyshock does do a hefty amount of damage, it is still a 2HKO if there are no rocks on the field.

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Scald
- Roar

The Empoleon is rather standard. You don't need speed EVs for anything as there is no reason for it. This is the special wall of the team and my Lati twins counter. I am still thinking of possibly using some other attack instead of Roar but Roar allows me to faze out and shuffle the opponents team. Plus it is to punish anyone who gets greedy and tries to set up early game.

Victini @ Choice Band
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt
- Bolt Strike

Victini is a really hard hitting mon with an equipped Choice Band. Even the Lati twins get 2HKOd by a V-create. As for the moveset, it is pretty standard. I was thinking of what the last move should be because you already have a really good coverage with V-create and Zen Headbutt but nevertheless I decided to use Bolt Strike just in case there are bulky Water-Types running around like Politoad or any Flying-Type mons. U-Turn is a great pivoting move and it gives me a lot of options.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower

Next up is the Mega Sableye check and a possible late game sweeper. The extra speed EVs are there to speed creep other Clefables. Calm Mind is there to beat Mega Sableye obviously. Flamethrower is to hit any Ferrothorns either on switch in or if I already set up a CM.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 Def / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Knock Of

I needed a really fast mon that can deal with Gengar and Mega Metagross at the same time. This one runs a little bit less speed EVs because I would like to get off a slower U-Turn against an opposing Scarf Landorus-T. The extra Defense EVs allow Bisharp's +1 Sucker Punch to be a roll. But obviously I would never switch in a Landorus-T on a Bisharp. Knock Off over superpower because I need a way to deal with Lati twins and Gengar. For Ferrothorn, I already have counters :]

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

Last but not least, the T-Wave spammer. With a Life Orb it allows to hit Gengars and Ferrothorns for more damage too. I don't run Nasty Plot because Scarf Landorus-T is the most common set and I don't want to waste a turn to set up a Nasty Plot. Coverage is more important on this kind of team imo. HP Ice is there to his Gliscor for 4x super-effective damage, just in case.

The squad :]

Well, that was it for the RMT. I will edit the Threat list later and I'll leave the importable for the team. Criticism is gladly accepted. Hopefully you can help me out to make this team better :]

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 24 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Scald
- Roar

Victini @ Choice Band
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt
- Bolt Strike

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 Def / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Thundurus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

Last edited:

DKFirelord

Back this time I swear!
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Hidden Power Ice

I would change the spread and Evs on thunderous to this

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Hidden Power Ice

I would change the spread and Evs on thunderous to this
Why exactly? I kinda like the T-Wave spam idea a bit more. But that set does seem slightly more viable

Yeah, I'd say leave your Thundy as he is given that the Prankster attacker supports your team much better than the all-out attacker imo. If anything I'd suggest running Taunt on it somewhere to better help you handle stall, you are packing some raw power on this team, especially Banded Victini, but not enough to not warrant a Taunter to mess up opposing stall strategies as well as holding off set-up since you're running Magic Guard Clef. Speaking of Clef, if you're running Magic Guard then run Life Orb, the extra power (with no recoil) is definitely worth it in comparison to the slight HP recovery on Lefties, Clef is pretty fat and has Softboiled anyway so boosting her offensive prowess could be beneficial.

Hey man, looks like a nice team :]

However, note that (for example) Mega Venusaur can wreck your team too when Victini is gone. You could use Specially Bulky Togekiss in conjunction with your Thundurus if you really want to keep the Fairy Type for Dragons. If not, try a Steel Type like Metagross or Heatran (watch out for EQ and don't forget Thick Fat is a thing). Other than that, looks nice and thought through ;]

nice mememe... ur team is really weak to bisharp and i suggest a scarf mon over lando like terrakion since its beats wat lando beats and thun can beat tflame 1v1 since your lando already cant switch into a banded bird. that being said thun should be running taunt over fblast to deal with baton pass and prevent hazards. the sets are simple im on my phone so just use the smogdex to find your answer

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
you can try knock off over hp fire on venu to lure in tran and get rid of its item so clefable can beat it 1v1. it also helps it beat other mons that like to come in on venu like tornadus/jirachi/ etc.

also victini may not be the best idea. It makes your team more vulnerable to bish/scarf tar and it doesnt do much back. I think replacing it with something like Keldeo or heatran will do your team better. your team is abit vulnerable to bisharp if you go hp fire and keldeo handles that pretty well as well as a great pokemon to take on heatran. heatran doesnt handle bish as well but its another fire type and has great synergy with venusaur.

you can try knock off over hp fire on venu to lure in tran and get rid of its item so clefable can beat it 1v1. it also helps it beat other mons that like to come in on venu like tornadus/jirachi/ etc.

also victini may not be the best idea. It makes your team more vulnerable to bish/scarf tar and it doesnt do much back. I think replacing it with something like Keldeo or heatran will do your team better. your team is abit vulnerable to bisharp if you go hp fire and keldeo handles that pretty well as well as a great pokemon to take on heatran. heatran doesnt handle bish as well but its another fire type and has great synergy with venusaur.
Thanks, chimp :]
I decided to take out Victini, Lando-T and Empoleon. Instead I decided to use Sub+CM Keldeo, Defog Latias and SpDef Heatran. Again, thanks for the help. And yeah, I was really weak to Bish so Keldeo is a great mon for it. And I did put Knock Off on Venu just in case Chanseys try to switch in

Hey !
Brick break on victini is better than Zen headbutt to reach heatran and it can hurt him because it is choice band.
Don't know if you know this,but VenuTran is a very good core.
Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
Calm Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Lava Plume
-Flash Cannon
-Toxic/Earth Power

Good luck :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)