Meowth (Analysis) [QC 0/2]

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/052.shtml

[Overview]

<p>Meowth is a Pokemon that has remained in it's role ever since Gen IV, performing the role of Lead with both, efficiency and reliability. Ever since being introduced into Little Cup play, Meowth has gained a spot as the favourite Lead of many offensive Teams due to it's fast paced nature as an Anti - Lead which could easily stop other Leads from setting up Entry Hazards, or Rain and Sun in Generation IV. In Generation V, Meowth retains all the tools it needs in order to fulfill it's role, having changed very little since Gen IV, still possesing STAB Technician Fake Out, U - Turn, Taunt, and the effective, yet unreliable Hypnosis, to name a few of Meowth's many options. The Metagame around Meowth, however, has changed a lot ever since Generation IV, and Meowth now faces stiff competition from popular Leads such as Kojofuu and Meditite, who both perform roles similar to Meowth's, and are slightly bulkier thanks to Kojofuu's Regeneration and Meditite's Evolution Stone and natural defenses, in comparison to Meowth's frail defenses, and in order for Meowth to conserve his spot as the Anti - Lead of choice, he will have to turn to his niche of an extremely fast Taunt, and STAB Fake Out. Do not let this discourage you from using Meowth though, as it is by no means a bad Pokemon, and still retains it's effectiveness from Gen IV.</p>

[SET]
name: Me - Ouch! (Anti Lead)
move 1: Fake Out
move 2: U - Turn
move 3: Taunt / Bite
move 4: Return
item: Focus Sash / Life Orb
ability: Technician
nature: Jolly
evs: 36 Hp / 236 Atk / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is what Meowth does best, the one Anti Lead set that has remained a reliable standard over time as other Pokemon are tried and kept waiting, all wanting to match Meowth's efficiency. Fake Out is the crux of this Set, providing a good hit on anything that doesn't resist it, or is majorly Bulky through boosts attained from Technician, STAB, and Life Orb if it is chosen as the prime Item. U - Turn, coming from Meowth score a nice hit on many Pokemon who do not resist it, however, it may turn out weak against many of the popular Fighting Types in the Metagame. However, using Meowth's high Speed, it allows a quick change to another of Meowth's teamates, giving it great tactical value early in the Battle. Taunt is a move that separates Meowth from other popular Leads, allowing Meowth to stop fellow Leads from setting up Entry Hazards such as Stealth Rocks and Spikes, a well as Rain Dance from Pokemon such as Bronzor, Mantyke or Chinchou. The final Move is a free choice between various options, Return allowing Meowth to use it's excellent Speed to score hits on slower Pokemon before Meowth falls, taking advantage of STAB, and allowing Meowth to cause damage reliable, not having to depend on Fake Out and U - Turn, whereas Bite allows Meowth to take on the various Ghost Pokemon seen throughout the Metagame such as Gastly who resist or are inmune to Meowth's other attacks.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>It is worth noting that while Meowth may attain several boosts in it's Fake Out making it a powerful first turn Move, it is still vulnerable to Pokemon who posses the ability Inner Focus such as Lead Komatama. Meowth also depends solely on it's niche of a very powerful Fake Out, Taunt and U - Turn in order to be effective, however, this niche is very useful, despite being Meowth's only option at a viable set. </p>

<p>The Item choice must also be considered carefully, as Focus Sash allows Meowth another turn to perform a late Taunt, or U - Turn, whereas Life Orb adds even more sting to Meowth's moves, particularly it's signature Fake Out, at the cost of health. However, Meowth is fragile, and won't be taking hits well, so the health cost might be something worth paying in exchange for a higher damage output.</p>

<p>The EV Spread recommended allows Meowth to maximize both, it's Speed and increse it's damage output, reaching 19 Speed and 14 attack with this spread and nature.</p>

[Team Options]

<p>Meowth does not require much support, but rather, it's a Pokemon to get benefits from. Pokemon who could benefit from entering into Meowth's counters, as Gligar or Misdreavus greatly appreciate the help given by Fake Out and U - Turn's damage, such as, for example, when taking down a Hippopotas. Meowth can Fake Out + Taunt or U - Turn said Pokemon, bringing it down into OHKO range off Misdraeavus' Shadow Ball. Pokemon who despise Stealth Rock, such as Meraruba, love Meowth thanks to it's ability to keep said rocks at bay. Meowth also greatly appreciates the presence of Fighting Type teamates, given how these easily handle Rock and Steel Types Meowth may have trouble against, while easily entering into Battle thanks to Meowth's U - Turn. Pokemon such as Dokkora or Kojofuu make great teamates, particularly thanks to Dokkora's great bulk and ability to defeat most Rock and Steel Types, and Kojofuu because of it's very fast High Jump Kicks, plus further Fake Out and U- Turn, all which assist to wear down the opponent's team while providing tactical advantage thanks to the switching provided by U - Turn.</p>

[Optional Changes]
<p>Meowth does not have too many options aside from those mentioned, Hypnosis provides Sleep, however, it lacks Accuracy, which may prove fatal given Meowth's fraility. Meowth also posseses Fury Swipes to take advantage of Technician, however, the damage output is often darfed by Return's sheer power. Meowth can also run Silk Scarf Over Life Orb should one find the health toll a large price to pay, as it provides a boost to Fake Out and Return, however, U - Turn and Bite would miss the extra power.</p>

<p>Meowth also can find itself running a Nasty Plot sweeper set, by using Swift, Shock Wave, Hidden Power with 60 BP, along options such as Water Pulse, or Icy Wind and Shadow Ball, and a spread of 76 Def / 196 SpA / 36 SDef / 196 Spe. This set, which runs on a blistering 19 Speed by running Timid, achieves several Technician boosts, yet, it is easily stopped by Pokemon such as Munchlax, Bronzor, or Fighting Pokemon who are not OHKOed. Given the abundance of Fighting Type Priority, and Meowth's fraility, this set could be considered a gimmick at best, however, given the adequate support, such as Misdreavus or Murkrow eliminating Fighting Types, this set could easily achieve a sweep against umprepared Teams, or Teams whose Pokemon able to stop Meowth are neutralized.</p>

[Counters]

<p>Given it's nature, Meowth has few true Counters, but it has many enemies. Counters to Meowth are Pokemon who posses the Ability Inner Focus to negate Fake Out's advantage, such as Kojofuu, and can retaliate right away. In fact, Kojofuu is a great Meowth Counter, as it posseses Inner Focus and can OHKO back with High Jump Kick, or use U - Turn to break Meowth's Focus Sash and allow a Priority user to come in unscathed into Meowth. Pokemon such as Dokkora, who take little damage from Meowth's attacks, and posses Super Effective Priority could also be considered Counters to Meowth, as they can hit it before it U - Turns to safety. Yet, a smart opponent could Switch, rather than U - Turn, taking advantage of the telegraphed Mach Punch that's incoming from Dokkora. Other Pokemon, such as Croagunk and Chimchar who pack Super Effective Priority in Vacuum Wave can efficiently deal with Meowth, yet, they'll still suffer from Meowth's Fake Out. As said before, Meowth has few true Counters, yet, Priority appears as the one foil to Meowth, almost always forcing a Switch or a U - Turn from the Scratch Cat Pokemon's side.</p>

I pretty much hate it myself, but I know that Hypnosis was considered a standard move on the lead set. I know that Taunt and Hypnosis were the only things that kept Meowth from being setup fodder for my RP Aron last gen, LOL. Meowth has issues hitting Steel-types with no physical moves to do so, so Hypnosis, despite its godawful accuracy, is pretty much his best bet against them.

I also think Trickery/Foul Play should be used over Bite, as it has slightly higher power than the latter move with Technician factored in. It might be illegal with Hypnosis, though I don't think it's much of a problem as Hypnosis is easily replaced.

Is there supposed to be a Dream World section? I dunno if it's out yet, or if it'd be worth replacing Technician if it IS out, but DW Meowth gets Tension, which is a pretty good ability in LC.

Also, I don't know if this was ever used in Gen 4 or if it would even be worthwhile now, but looking at Meowth's stats and movepool, it feels like it might be decent. What I'm proposing is an NP Technician sweeper set, something along the lines of this:

Life Orb, Timid
76 Def / 196 SpA / 36 SDef / 196 Spe (0 HP IVs, plus whatever IVs are required to have the below HPs)
- Nasty Plot
- Swift
- Shock Wave / HP Fire/Ground/etc. (60 BP)
- Icy Wind / Shadow Ball

Seems LOLzy at first glance, but Meowth's Sp. Atk. stat is only 5 points lower than its Attack, and with Technician affecting all of these moves save Shadow Ball plus a Nasty Plot boost is hardly something to laugh at. If anyone else thinks that this set is a good idea, maybe it's worth adding into the analysis, but I'd go with a second opinion if I were you. Maybe test it out and see how it performs.

Regarding these, I'll stress the importance of a Fighting Type in Meowth's teamates as a way to run over Steel Types which Meowth may encounter. As for Hypnosis, I'd rather leave it as 'Optional Changes', but I could always slash it in the last slot.

As for the Sweeper Set, I see some success to it, but I'd score it as gimmick unless tests or a second opinion declare it otherwise.

EDIT: I'd probably add it in Optional Changes.

I think you should mention seed bomb in the AC and how bite hits Pururiru and Slowpoke harder. Also, U-turn is one word

I'm really pissed off now at how people won't take the time to read ANYTHING

-Charmander- said:
I think you should mention seed bomb in the AC and how bite hits Pururiru and Slowpoke harder. Also, U-turn is one word

Read the sentence again.

Does Taunt really deserve a slash of its own? Imo should be slashed with Return, because Fake Out+Return kills a lot of stuff before it SRs anyway.

EDIT: ninja'd

What is with the EV spread? You leave 40 possible EVS out of the spread and the hp evs cause your health to go to 20 which causes life orb to take away 2 hp each turn instead of 1.
id recommend taking the 36 from hp and sticking 76 in def

SkyNet

MediEvil!
Pretty much all Meowth can do without being 'Gimmicky' or 'Outcalled'

Nice write up, Will stamp when you update all the English names into the write up.

What is with the EV spread? You leave 40 possible EVS out of the spread and the hp evs cause your health to go to 20 which causes life orb to take away 2 hp each turn instead of 1.
id recommend taking the 36 from hp and sticking 76 in def
At 0 HP IVs, his HP is 20, not 19. The 36 IVs change his HP to 21 from 20.

Zephyr

Life Stream
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Actually Meowth does reach 19 HP with a 0 in it's HP IV. With that I suggest you mention you follow an adjusted spread if you select Life Orb as your item. Do this and apply what Skynet pointed out and we shall see about a QC stamp.

Aerrow

hunter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Zeph, the analysis is all yours (I talked to Vader about it). This thread can be locked and moved to L&O now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)