Metagame Metagame Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely a cool and underrated mon, and yeah it does match up well vs many common leads. However, Sash Chomp/Dragonium Z Chomp are gaining popularity and shred Chandy with EQ. Likewise, Sash Lycanroc leads just click Stone Edge and kill.

The biggest issue with Chandelure right now is that Hoopa-Unbound exists as another crazy strong wallbreaker that can also bypass subs with Hyperspace Hole/Fury, but also isn't weak to rocks and can break Chansey. That said I'd love to see some replays with Chandelure since I think it can be a cool niche mon.

PSA Hoopa-U is really good; people should use it more.
PLus side to that is that Chandelure won't be 1v1 against those mons and only hoopa pressures switch ins to a ridiculous degree

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
I have a question for the health of the stall vs stall metagame

What beats ditto? I got burned/toxiced vs regen combo and most of the rest of my team got burned, but ditto+Pressure+saybeye,dugtrio, heatran ensured I couldn't be beat, and I only tryed ditto into order to beat other ditto spam teams and I really needed a choice scarf revenge pokemon that could wrap up the game

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-502073478

I won turn 401 when I got the first kill of the match

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
I'm completely lost how to even deal with grenija and I have mega sayabeye, 2 sash users and a choice scarf ditto.

one of these thing should be able to sometimes beat/revenge it

I'm completely lost how to even deal with grenija and I have mega sayabeye, 2 sash users and a choice scarf ditto.

one of these thing should be able to sometimes beat/revenge it
It can't really take a hit, so most any neutral or SE hit from a dedicated attacker will KO it. Greninja is also one of those mons that you have to scout, because move-wise it's really hard to tell what it does or doesn't have (similar to hoopa-u or lando-i, but far less frightening). If ninja has u-turn, I don't see how scarf ditto isn't a guaranteed revenge kill if they stay in. Your shedinja very well may be able to handle some greninjas, as well. Dugtrio isn't an answer cause ninja will u-turn the first time to break the sash and then KO the second time. But mostly, that stall team you're using is not at all the bulkiest, and your only switch in is sab, so a strong, momentum-grabbing attacker that out-speeds your whole team is just gonna give you trouble.

Just a tiering question, will Battle Bond Greninja and Protean/Torrent Greninja be tiered differently/treated as separate entities? It's kind of a unique case.

Last edited:
Just a tiering question, will Battle Bond Greninja and Protean/Torrent Greninja be tiered differently? It's kind of a unique case.
They are getting separate analyses in the Contributions and Corrections forum so it's likely that they will be considered individually should they be suspected.

Edit: Greninja was banned as a Pokémon last generation regardless of ability, but in this case, Ash-Greninja is similar to a Mega Evolution, and likely will be separated as such. An example is Mega Diancie in OU vs regular Diancie in RU last gen.

They are getting separate analyses in the Contributions and Corrections forum so it's likely that they will be considered individually should they be suspected.

Edit: Greninja was banned as a Pokémon last generation regardless of ability, but in this case, Ash-Greninja is similar to a Mega Evolution, and likely will be separated as such. An example is Mega Diancie in OU vs regular Diancie in RU last gen.
The difference tho is that in the case of most megas, the mega is tiered higher than the normal form.

If we consider ash-greninja to be like a mega, and we ban protean greninja, ash-greninja would also be banned from OU, similar to how MegaChomp or MegaLati@s were BL last gen and could never be considered for UU because the base form was OU. If protean ninja goes Uber and we follow the same logic, ash-greninja would also go uber even if it's absolute trash there. I don't think a complex ban on protean greninja would be accepted (slippery slope blaze blaziken all that), and a ban on protean as an ability could complicate things for NU (tbh i don't know their policy at all tho), i see the most likely outcome of a ninja ban being a full ban.

Last edited:
Choice Specs infiltration Chandelure is a deadly, deadly anti lead. It completely walls out Pheromosa, it beats Genesect, it's immune to Azelf explosion, and it shuts down any attempt to baton pass/substitute because no one wants to switch into it. It also hard counters substituting Buzzwole's who don't have EQ or sub instead of using it. It even has a 75% chance to one shot max HP Pelipper. Celesteela's gets destroyed in 1 hit by Fire Blast, but that's not a fun match up thanks to Leech seed, protect, and the fact that Chandelure is SR weak.
In general this meta is so Steel heavy that any good offensive Fire type with coverage is scary to deal with. Volcarona, Rotom-H, Bloom Doom Heatran, either MegaZard, Alola Marowak are all tricky to switch into, and similar logic applies to Chandy.

Speaking of tiering, what's the policy gonna be for Silvally?
Been considering trying out Silvally but it seems like such a master-of-none. Like, it's not fast or strong enough to work without set-up. And it's got good bulk but no reliable recovery to give it longevity. How have you all been using it? And what types have been most successful? I would think Poison would be a decent type to roll with.

I feel like Protean Greninja and Ash-Greninja shouldn't be looked as regular and Mega forms of a same Pokémon. They're more like Charizardite X and Y. Different Megas for a same Pokémon.

Try
Been considering trying out Silvally but it seems like such a master-of-none. Like, it's not fast or strong enough to work without set-up. And it's got good bulk but no reliable recovery to give it longevity. How have you all been using it? And what types have been most successful? I would think Poison would be a decent type to roll with.
Sylvallly steeel with sd/iron head/thunder fang/flame charge is a good set i used to run, its a pretty good wallbreaker and can definetly punch holes in enemy team.

anyone with a good moveset for sr gliscor? cant find the old sub toxic stall movesets on smogon and i dont know if stallbreak evs/moves are the way to go.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I feel like Protean Greninja and Ash-Greninja shouldn't be looked as regular and Mega forms of a same Pokémon. They're more like Charizardite X and Y. Different Megas for a same Pokémon.
It's just an example, Ash Greninja isn't actually being considered as a mega. The important part is that they are being treated separately, whether it's Zard (base) v Zard (X) or Zard (X) v Zard (Y) as the example is not particularly relevant.

Why did they make anything like Marshadow?

Why?

Its stats speak of game devs that know exactly what they were doing, but that can't be the case, because oh my god what are you doing.
Marshadow strikes me as "okay, we nerfed Dark Void. Now let's make a Physical version of Darkrai."

It's more like a different forme. Ash-Greninja can only result from a Battle Bond Greninja, which by all rights has a different learnset, egg group, limited IVs, ability access, etc. There's no way to turn a "normal" Protean Greninja into Ash-Greninja, whereas every mon of a species with a Mega Form can become said Mega Form. The player does not technically have control over when BB becomes Ash-Greninja the way they do with the Mega Button (with Mega Evolving being a free action), and once changed it doesn't revert.

Why did they make anything like Marshadow?

Why?

Its stats speak of game devs that know exactly what they were doing, but that can't be the case, because oh my god what are you doing.

Gamefreak employee #1: Guys remember when we created Meloetta Pirouette?
Gamefreak employee #2: Yes, that mon is so broken, lets make it usable

And thats how they create BM-03, a group of 3 broken mon consisting of Mega Loppuny, Meloetta Piroiuette, and Marshadow who works the exact same way because fuck creativity and interesting movepool and stats when you can make braindead fast physical 120 BP spammer with Ice coverage for the billionth time

Shitposting aside, lately i've been facing against some BB Greninja and really i can't think off any other mon in the meta right now that is as troublesome as that(aside from Stall match up). Even before transforming, it hits surprisingly hard because of how powerful Hydro Pump is to begin with, and post transformation, Water Shuriken become essentially Technician Boosted Priority off 153 Special Attack which is extremely good

It would be somewhat funny if BB vs Protean ended up being separated and somehow both got banned because lol

Last edited:
I haven't really been using Z moves all that much, but I will say that Z-Hypnosis Xuriktree is easily one of my favorite mid to late game sweepers to use. Instead of running it with Tail Glow, I used Thunder with a Politoed, and energy ball, and it's all it needs to sweep a team. One he gets +1 SpA and +1 Spe, he's ready to completely annihilate opposing teams.

Here's a replay, but my opponent's team isn't very good mind you: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7pokebankou-503643552

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
How do people currently feel about phemso? At first it and a few other mons were written off as broken when it could take 1-2 weak hits and lele could patch up priority holes.

I think there are better late game cleaners just in terms of coverage or banded extreme speed. And for it to beat it's bad match-ups it has to generally run a wacky lure which I have done a few and won't knock running air balloon just for the free switch ins if heatran is on Your team.

It's top tier but managed I think

Yeah, I agree. Pheromosa isn't all that it's cracked up to be. I think just about everyone expected it to be broken post-aegislash but after playing against it, using it myself, and watching other people use it. I've basically come to the conclusion that it's not as good as people. It sounds great on paper as a huge threat, but in practice it often fails to really meet expectations unlike Landorus-I, Aegislash or Zygarde-C. I'm sure CrashinBoomBang has plenty to say on this matter so if he wants to chime in, I'll let him go further into detail on this. Honestly, it's really just a matter of people adapting to it because there are plenty of ways to deal with it without compromising your team.

Phero is managable, and I don't see much of her anymore anyway. Genesect on the other hand just punches holes in everything unless you're running a fire type to threaten it, one that can take a hit and come back swinging if need be mind you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)