Media Minecraft Discussion Thread

Celestavian

Smooth
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I would be up for starting over as well. I've gotten quite bored with Smogcraft since I started playing after everything was pretty much finished, and now there's, like, no room for anything. Get some fresh blood into the server.

I honestly don't think a restart will fix some players bordems. Really thats just an issue youll always be running into, this would just delay it again.

Also if you can't find resources, you are starting too close to spawn. That area is mined dry

I don't like how there is like one jungle on the map with most of it is reserved or whatever.

I am a fan of map resets but there seems to be a few more people against than for (honestly the non reset crowd is way more vocal, Veed).

I just want to make it clear that a map reset will prolly come eventually in one way or another. Extending the borders (if we ever do it) will only work for so long.

Well this should tell you how long it's been since I've logged on...originally I built my first/main house a bit out of the way of spawn since way back when it was originally started I didn't want to be near everything and assumed people already claimed the area around it. Azbot industries or whatever grew nearby, and the face house/bumblebee tower eventually joined it after all that hub-bub. Otherwise nothing else was out there for the longest time.

Nowdays, there's a neat bridge connecting it to an entire village nearby lol, I think a sign said New Haven, but not really sure. Still, tells you probably how long it's been since I logged on lol.

There is more than one jungle i know of at least 3 or 4 so that sorts that out.
on to other things, glow stone anyone?

So I've given it some more thought, and now frankly I don't mind a map reset. Knowing that the map will be reset some time or other and since I probably wont have much time to play after September, I can see how starting a new map would be more fun. I wouldn't want to spend my last few weeks building up a project that I won't have enough time to finish anyway. This is a pretty selfish viewpoint I admit, so if there was to be a vote I'd probably abstain since I can definitely sympathise with the people who don't want a map reset, especially RotatingAtom and his monster jungle temple project.

Jut my thoughts.

One thought that I had was that maybe we could have two servers, one for people who want to stay on this one, and a newer one, but then I guess that would be much too expensive, so that idea is out the window.

But taking this seriously, even with a border expansion, what else is there to do? We've made tons of villages on the server, we have enough resources to not die of hunger, all of us have mined a lot, ravines are ravines, and really, the only thing that hasn't been fully discovered are probably the mineshafts underground, but really, after that what else is there to do on THIS PARTICULAR server? So many things have been done now.

Now, I've been on the server every once in a while for the past few days, and I barely see anybody on except brooky (really, the only guys iv seen on for the past week).

Personally, I wouldn't mind restarting. But that's just my opinion. Some of you probably have other ideas, but I think maybe if we don't want to start over, we should get rid of borders?

Enough. Here's some food for thought.

This is ONE of the THREE main rooms. This room alone took 9 diamond pickaxes, 7 of them with Unbreaking III, to clear out. 63x63x16 = 63504 blocks. This room alone took ~4 months to build.

There's a shitton of hidden Redstone circuitry in it that enables all kinds of cool mechanisms. To give you an idea, I used around 20 stacks of redstone dust, 3 stacks of repeaters and 32 torches.

Behind all the hidden piston doors that are triggered by T-BUD's connected to glowing Redstone Ore (took about 2 days of testing in Creative to figure out), there's a self-made cave leading to the other 2 main rooms, which, in my book, are equally amazing. Room#3 has just been started, but what I have in mind will be pretty cool.

Why did I do all this?

Well, for those of you who have ignored my advice and visited the place already, you might have seen that I marked of a 100x100 area around the temple entrance and cleared out every single tree and all the leaf blocks on the ground, to make room for an Aztec City where every single user of smogcraft could build his own Aztec-style house, which I would've provided material for if necessary. I wanted to bring over some villagers and really bring life to this place. When I would've been done with all my work, I would have opened Talcahuano to the public.

If we restart, all if this will by erased. fml.

I don't have a house any more and don't care either way. I already got bored of the server and left for months, came back for a few weeks, and was bored again. I guess I have less patience than most of you.

One thought that I had was that maybe we could have two servers, one for people who want to stay on this one, and a newer one, but then I guess that would be much too expensive, so that idea is out the window.

But taking this seriously, even with a border expansion, what else is there to do? We've made tons of villages on the server, we have enough resources to not die of hunger, all of us have mined a lot, ravines are ravines, and really, the only thing that hasn't been fully discovered are probably the mineshafts underground, but really, after that what else is there to do on THIS PARTICULAR server? So many things have been done now.

Now, I've been on the server every once in a while for the past few days, and I barely see anybody on except brooky (really, the only guys iv seen on for the past week).

Personally, I wouldn't mind restarting. But that's just my opinion. Some of you probably have other ideas, but I think maybe if we don't want to start over, we should get rid of borders?
Like I said, its best to explore building in minecraft, like I have and RotatingAtom and alot of other people have. Since everyone supposedly has a ridiculous amount of resources, why not put such expenditures into building a city or something?

There are many ways to play minecraft, and the one way to play minecraft and then get bored is to ONLY explore one part of it. If you frequently swtich between adventure and building, minecraft will nearly always remain fresh and new, (or if you mix up both aspects). Likewise if you only adventure and explore in minecraft it will become dry, and feel boring.

Also, to those saying everything has been explored, there are alot of caves to the North East of spawn (facing the spawn lake as north). If you travel 1000 blocks in that direction, land will be untouched, caves will be untouched, and I frequently visit there to replenish my coal and redstone supply which always seem to fast die out.

All in all however, if an overwhelming majority wants to do a map reset, I dont think my say will be of much importance, and Ill be sad to see my slow progress on my industrial city go.

My best advice? take a break.
i think most people are doing this at the moment there's only so much to do in mine craft and after your done with your own little project you get bored. taking a break is the best idea, come back when you get another idea otherwise you will be bored beyond belief.
yes a new server will speed up this process as everyone loves new and shiny things but as has already been said. what is there that's worth it in 1.3? what will you do once we reach this point again?

My best advice? take a break.
i think most people are doing this at the moment there's only so much to do in mine craft and after your done with your own little project you get bored. taking a break is the best idea, come back when you get another idea otherwise you will be bored beyond belief.
yes a new server will speed up this process as everyone loves new and shiny things but as has already been said. what is there that's worth it in 1.3? what will you do once we reach this point again?
I took a several month break, and remain uninterested. I wasn't done with minecraft altogether in that interim, since I played on 2 other servers and one or two single-player survival maps during portions of that time.

Regarding coming back to this issue: considering mojang seems to be aiming for several months between each release... Personally, the new features and stagnation that should arise by each release should more than be enough incentive for me to vote in favor of a restart.

Like I said, its best to explore building in minecraft, like I have and RotatingAtom and alot of other people have. Since everyone supposedly has a ridiculous amount of resources, why not put such expenditures into building a city or something?
Because there is no challenge. I have resources abound at my disposal: I rarely die, and if I do, the loss is always insignificant anyway, in the grand scheme of things. I do not have to mine endlessly to gather the resources needed to create respectable structures, and certainly cities at that point if others are working with me.

Any resource shortage is not a challenge, either: It's an inconvenience. At that point, I may as well just play on a creative server: I have the means to obtain the resources I need, but must either enchant numerous gold helmets or walk thousands of blocks in order to get appreciable quantities of sandstone, for instance.

The creativity challenge involved is the only thing that I will concede may provide entertainment: being forced to play or work within certain rules (like, say, the building material requirements in cobalt cape/oho) can provide more entertainment.

Angry Aztec or whatever he called it
I lost something very sentimental in the first server reset (luckily I still have the screenshots ofc) so I will defend RotatingAtom here and say "preservation". The only new things that spawn on chunk generation are:

Emerald and we can just buy that from villagers, anyway.
Jungle Temples and we can just build those, anyway.

Eh, I'm ambivalent about it. I had a superproject yeah but I bit off more than I could chew and ended up dragging my feet on it. I'd be fine rebuilding a saner version of my project on a restart. The shrine alone is impressive enough. If that ever happens.

<3 you Groudon Shrine. (That's on normal render distance, not small or tiny)

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Since I'm on the server a lot (Im brooky12), maybe I should make a bigger post...

To be honest, I wouldn't be too upset if we restated the server. Sure, I like the current server, with my castle, diamonds et cetra, but it's so easy to get back to the level you were at previously that to be honest, there isn't much besides building that you'll ever be able to do on Smogcraft.

Let's say there are 15 of us that are active. Some of us play for an insane amount of time a day in average (me, acdc, emeraldhammer, grum are ppl I see on a constant basis).

How long before all the caves are cleaned out? Ravines emptied? Melon farms made? Ender Portal found? Glowstone mysteriously gone? I know I can clean out a decent sized cave in about an hour, and since I play like 4 hours a day, it won't be that hard. Now, add everyone else, and, should we restart the server, it'll be a couple days until Spawn is basically a fortress from mobs, and projects like Newer New Haven and Ohoho Oasis are being started. A couple months after that, people will be thinking, if not outright complaining, "oh this is soooo boring the map is all civilized and we can't do anything fun besides build stuff."

You want fun? Play Smogon Hunger Games 2. Organize the first Smogon Ultra Hardcore Game. There's a myriad of fun stuff to do, you know, aside from resetting the server.

You want fun? Play Smogon Hunger Games 2. Organize the first Smogon Ultra Hardcore Game. There's a myriad of fun stuff to do, you know, aside from resetting the server.
Heck, that sounds great honestly...

I'd even be up for doing adventure maps, and for some reason, especially any made by vechs since i've watched ethoslab play thru 2 of his maps and then his race for wool (which might be quite fun).

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I, infamously perhaps, don't play on the server, but I'll throw this out there:

is it time to try to introduce an economy?

I would be down to do another Hunger Games, but this time, we should try the pre-made map, since there was a lot of issues with the last map*cough spawn lock cough*.

Or hell, if a small group of people want to do a Vechs map, we can do it on my private server.

On topic, I think a map reset would be a good idea, since we have pretty much downloaded the chunks for most of the world. We could even make Spawn look pretty in the new map!

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Can we not do a premade map, please? I'd like to keep the idea of breaking blocks, and the premade maps aren't made for that. If you want, I can set up a map for playing on.

Of course, if I do this, I won't participate, because I'll know what all the chests contain ^_^

Ok, so I need redstone, because I implement it alot in my things, and I ran out, using it all on farms.

I have set up a trading post infront of my Redstone 'Museum'.

If you dont know where it is, it is close to spawn, when you teleport to spawn, when facing the left, if you travel to the North East (where the lake is North), just follow the path of the right of the lake, and you will find 2 large buildings, in front of one of them is that hut above.

I am offering:

And what I need is redstone

You can do the trade without me being there, just replace everything EXACTLY, according to the ratios on the left of the building.

If you steal anything or replace it not exactly, I will be sad.

If you happen to donate due to kindness and not needing of redstone, you will probably receive a large donation of beef and leather as a gesture in return for donations of redstone.

If you would like to negotiate a price, either VM me here, or ask me on the server if you see me on.

EDIT: Lady Salamence has already given me alot, I will not be accepting any more redstone donations for my beef supply, because it is already pretty low at the moment

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)