MLB 2013 Season Thread

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE

seriously wtf he is single-handedly trying to make up for all of the runs our bullpen didn't allow at the end of last year

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I just don't think Hamilton is all that good a player.....his first few months were otherworldly but his last 2/3 of the season were pretty average. Like 3rd-4th OF in 10-12 team mixed leagues average. Their pitching rotation is just plain bad, and while Trout has the potential to be special, everyone outside of Trumbo (who is probably going to end up being an Adam Dunn/Mark Reynolds type player) is on the decline in performance due to age. That coupled with having no farm system and all, and yeah.....

Don't get me wrong, we're aging too - Beltre will eventually decline as will Kinsler. Our two biggest assets though for the future are our arms (Darvish, Ogando, Harrison, Holland if he's a little more consistent, Perez when he's back) and especially our farm system. There's whispers that Profar is going to be part of a package to net Stanton or Price, could you guys imagine our team with either of those players? Stanton is just a better and younger Hamilton and a Price/Darvish 1-2 punch is up there with Cain/Bumgarner and Strasburg/Gio as the best in the majors. I think that the AL West is strong and completely open, and it wouldn't be a total shock to see the Angels win it. I just think that a team that hasn't done anything of significance for four years with their best players being on the wrong side of 30 is just overrated as fuck at the moment. The Jays are probably overrated too, but at least their assets are younger and (I can't believe I'm saying this) in a weaker division - so the "Jays will win the AL East" argument isn't too far fetched at all.

@ kaps - I don't know why he's still your closer, he's been a bit shaky every year barring one of his career. I'm not familiar with the Brew crew's bullpen, but surely you guys have better in house options?

I really think we do. The best option in my opinion would be to make Jim Henderson the closer and call up Donovan Hand to replace Axford on the roster, at least until Mark Rodgers is healthy (but don't worry he's stunningly below average as well)

I'm at least not disillusioned with the rest of our bullpen yet, and someone like Gorzelanny could probably also serve as a closer. No one really prominent, but at least they wouldn't have an ERA over 20

I don't think that the AL West is better than the East just yet :P Texas and LA are quite possibly better than all the teams in the East, but that's only very slightly, and the AL East fields a much better 1-5. This is also likely due to my value of the As, which I see as much, much closer to .500 than top of the division again.

So, guys, if I'm being completely honest, I feel like the Astros are set up to be the worst team in baseball for like the next ten years >_>

<_<

I mean seriously, besides Jose Altuve, is there ANYBODY on that roster that would be an impact player of any kind on any other team in the MLB? We're basically shoving out a minor league team.

So, guys, if I'm being completely honest, I feel like the Astros are set up to be the worst team in baseball for like the next ten years >_>

<_<

I mean seriously, besides Jose Altuve, is there ANYBODY on that roster that would be an impact player of any kind on any other team in the MLB? We're basically shoving out a minor league team.
that was the whole point - as unfortunate as it is from a fans standpoint. They gave away all their major league talent to stockpile on future potential while minimizing cost at the same time. It's a work in progress, obviously, but they've kept at it for the entire time, without changing from the path, so that's a positive!

edit @Stallion - it's a bit better than that, but outside of Singleton their high ceiling guys are at A ball or lower, yeah.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion

<_<

You're not wrong there. I don't think you guys even have a solid farm system, all your talent is playing Low A ball or something like that

Speaking of boos... I'm surprised at the reaction to Hamilton today. I expected some boos for being on a rival team and leaving and all that, but damn. I guess I'll be the idiot Ranger fan cheering when his name gets called tomorrow.

Stallion

Tree Young
Speaking of boos... I'm surprised at the reaction to Hamilton today. I expected some boos for being on a rival team and leaving and all that, but damn. I guess I'll be the idiot Ranger fan cheering when his name gets called tomorrow.
Don't even think about cheering for this piece of shit. Cheer for people like Chris Davis, who gave it their all but didn't realise their potential until they went to another team. Don't cheer for a jerkwad who quit on his team when they needed him the most, made every excuse in the book when things didn't go well, talked ill about his former team and signed with their biggest rival. Personally I am so stoked that he went 0-4 with 2 strikeouts in his return to Arlington, after all swinging at everything aimlessly is how we remember him best.

I don't believe he signed with their biggest rival for that very reason. I understand what you mean though, he was pretty negative about the Rangers when he left. I don't think he was wrong in what he said, but I can understand why Rangers fans would be angry.

Anyway, I will be wearing a Rangers shirt with Hamilton's name on it at the game tomorrow. If this is my last post on here, let it be known that I wish you all good fortune through the rest of your lives. I thoroughly enjoyed the Pokemon discussions and sports competitions.

Stallion

Tree Young
I'm not saying that's why he signed with the Angels.....but dropping the lazy pop fly, 0-4 facing 8 balls against the Orioles, hell his offense every month after the first two. Guys like Napoli and Young I will always cheer for when they return, they've got special places in my heart and gave it their all. Guys like Hamilton and CJ Wilson who are massive douhebags on the other hand........yeah you aren't getting out of the stadium alive tomorrow.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
yeah you aren't getting out of the stadium alive tomorrow.
too soon imo

in all serious i feel the same way about youk. he was traded to the white sox, and i was at fenway for his last game and gave him a standing ovation. however he chose to sign with the yankees, so fuck him. he's gonna get the same treatment johnny damon got: boos. fans are fickle in any sport, so i don't think anybody should be surprised about the reactions, the players especially.

I'm actually legitimately nervous about tomorrow. That shirt is the only Rangers shirt I have, so I'm not just wearing it because of Hamilton. In other news, every team has at least a win and a loss now. I'm not sure what (if anything) was going on with the Nationals.

Stallion

Tree Young
The Cubs manager for thinking he has a trade market.

It's why I have the Cubs set up man in fantasy, patiently waiting.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The Cubs manager for thinking he has a trade market.

It's why I have the Cubs set up man in fantasy, patiently waiting.
welp i guess you don't have to wait much longer

Also: Dickey's line over his first two starts

10.2 IP, 15 H, 12 R, 10 ER, 3 HR, 6 BB, 9 K, 8.44 ERA

I know it's early but he doesn't look good at all.

Stallion

Tree Young
I forgot who in the draft room laughed at me when I said that Middlebrooks was a really good value late pick but he just hit three bombs in a game.

I forgot who in the draft room laughed at me when I said that Middlebrooks was a really good value late pick but he just hit three bombs in a game.
John Buck has hit three home runs before :P think of the big picture at least, you too tennisace. He had an even worse game last year, lol.

Axford and Marmol; you have a one run lead in the bottom of the 18th inning and they're the last two pitchers available for you to put in

who do you pick?

Axford and Marmol; you have a one run lead in the bottom of the 18th inning and they're the last two pitchers available for you to put in

who do you pick?
i'd probably send out a position player before i send out one of those two. i'd gather my team in the dugout and be like, "who here can throw moderately quick fastballs for strikes?" and i'd pick that way.

Stallion

Tree Young
Id send myself out there in lieu of those two. I'd also ask to fire the guy who allowed Axford and Marmol to be in the same bullpen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)