Status
Not open for further replies.
Vid and I talked, and this is what we decided on

Slowking (Water) C
Stunfisk (Electric) C
Qwilfish (Water) D
Gourgiest Super (Grass) B
Gliscor (Flying) B

Eien Hawlucha was given B because it wasn't as bad as the C ranked mons (Pangoro, Scrafty) and it does find opportunities to set up (Gliscor vs Flying, etc) and Hawlucha does open holes in your opponents team allowing you to sweep easier. If your opp does Taunt Haw then yeah it's pretty useless, but a +2 Acro does 2HKO Bro so your opp's forced to sack something to check it.

+2 252+ Atk Hawlucha Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 211-249 (53.5 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Most Bros on Psychic don't run Psyshock so you have a pretty good chance of KOing it as long as it doesn't burn you with Scald, or you can predict the T-wave and Sub again (If Helm doesn't kill you). For Flying, Haw's able to setup on a good amount of Flying such as Gliscor, Lando-T etc. and only Zapdos is able to effectively check it since Skarm does nothing w/ Iron Head. As for the ranking stuff, D rank is for stuff that's absolutely terrible like Delphox on Psy, we also removed the explanations for rankings because they were too confusing.

and what Wanka said :p

Seo.

Nice guys always finish last...
Politoed B->A

This meta, swift swim is so popular and one of the most used play styles now a days. In fact, it is 2nd most used on usage stats after Azumarill. Swift Swim + the rain politoed provides is so powerful this meta. It helps boost up mons like Specs Kingdra, LO Ludicolo and Mega Swampert and doubles their speed plus makes their water STAB Stronger. All im saying is, as of now, Politoed outclasses the current B rank pokemon and actually is one of the most mons i believe that need a bump up in the rankings.

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
Jirachi B->A for Psychic

Jirachi is not a Pokemon you usually see on generic Psychic. I myself use Jirachi and I think it has lots of niches and is on par with the other Pokemon in Rank A. I'm gonna start off with my favorite set which is a specially defensive that has lots of utility options such as Thunder Wave, Toxic, Stealth Rock, Wish, U-Turn etc. It switches easily vs hard hitters like Mega Gardevoir, Latios, Mega Diancie, Scarf Gengar doesn't 2HKO it. It takes a Dark Pulse from Hoopa-U, Specs Hydreigon, Chandelure and many other threats to Psychic. It can't switch in on the ones I just mentioned but if it's healthy and already inside it can take a hit which is why I love Thunder Wave on Jirachi because it can neutralize a big threat with it's ability to take hits nothing else on the team would. Specially Defensive Mew and Victini of course can switch into the Pokemon I listed first (Mega Garde, Diancie, Latis etc.) however they might not always be able to stay healthy and Jirachi takes those hits so much easier. Other than being a cleric, being able to set-up rocks and spread status, it also helps a ton in certain match-ups. Psychic doesn't have much to switch into Fairy type attacks outside of Victini which can only switch-in so many times before it's really weakened, especially if rocks are up. There's also Mew but that's set-up fodder for Clefable and unless it has Knock Off it loses to Specs Sylveon 1v1. Jirachi easily takes care of Fairy and there's not much that can be done about that. There's also the Choice Scarf set which is great for pivoting around with U-Turn as nothing usually wants to stay in on an Iron Head because there's a high chance it's gonna get flinched down. Access to Healing Wish and Trick also allow Jirachi to cripple walls or completely heal up another Pokemon safely due to being scarfed. Those are the two most commons sets, and probably the best ones. Jirachi still has more options to it though such as Calm Mind, Sub/Toxic, Expert Belt with a bunch of coverage moves like Energy Ball, Icy Wind, Thunderbolt etc. which are great in certain match-ups, notably Water. After reading this and thinking about it hopefully Jirachi can get some more credit and considered for A rank.

After doing the Ice set compendium, I've seen a couple of questionable ranks for mons.

I think this is extremely niche, Avalugg is a much better option for hazard control, the only thing I really see defensive Cryo providing is situational counterplay to Magnezone as the only "switchin" to Scarf Flash Cannon+Volt Switch.
252 SpA Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Cryogonal: 152-182 (44.1 - 52.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Dual screens is super niche, I would use dual screens Rotom-F with 0- Speed 0 IV Speed Volt Switch for a screens pivot before I would use Cryogonal, it's fairly difficult to screens while maintaining momentum, especially when even with a Reflect up, Cryogonal still fears physical attacks. Additionally, it has 4MSS, it can't run dual screens, spin, boom, and freeze-dry. I think it's D rank.

I don't understand why this is B ranked. Like, not at all. It provides very little good defensive synergy with a defensive set (252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Articuno: 207-244 (53.9 - 63.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO) while adding an additional weakness to Electric (i.e. Volt Switch is that much more threatening to you) and a 4x Rock weakness (not as bad as one may think but makes its Defogging job a lot harder), as well as the Scarf set being an arguably worse Kyurem-B in both of the matchups it's supposedly good in (Water and Fighting), in which Fusion Bolt+Outrage are better wincons than Hurricane/Freeze-Dry (gets outsped by scarf Terrakion as well as Hurricane being unreliable, 252 SpA Articuno Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Keldeo: 204-240 (63.1 - 74.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO i.e. doesnt kill Water's wincon). I think it's either low C or D ranked.

May as well give this an analysis, it's higher than D rank (although D was probably just a preliminary ranking) s/o to waszap for reminding me that this has no analysis

Aurorus for C rank
Aurorus is one of the best suicide leads Ice has, as well as being one of your counterplays to unsuspecting Scizors that don't know what Aurorus runs. It's capable of allowing you to use your Mamo for something useful, while maintaining your ability to lay lead Stealth Rock, while being able to break sashes in lead with Snow Warning, while being able to use Thunder Wave like Froslass.

Aurorus @ Focus Sash
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 152 HP / 252 SpA / 104 Spe
Modest Nature
- Blizzard
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Encore

Ripped straight from Broccol1's team, it's essentially the gold standard set. Speed to outspeed uninvested base 70s, hits as hard as possible, and is more bulky than one may expect.

I disagree with the C ranking decision for Glalie, it's basically one of your best counterplays to the Normal core, Mixed Defensive Twave Clefable, Specially Defensive Mew, the Dark core in general (252+ Atk Refrigerate Mega Glalie Explosion vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Bisharp: 273-322 (100.7 - 118.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO, 252 Atk Refrigerate Mega Glalie Explosion vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Bisharp: 249-294 (91.8 - 108.4%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock i.e. it kills Bisharp with boom), the Grass core, and any defensive Flying archetype (idk if people still run that but it's something you can do). I've also got some fair mileage out of it in the Ground matchup, it beats every conventional lead Ground has to throw at you, as well as the Protect set being able to stall out sand. I think it's B rank.

Seo.

Jirachi B->A for Psychic

Jirachi is not a Pokemon you usually see on generic Psychic. I myself use Jirachi and I think it has lots of niches and is on par with the other Pokemon in Rank A. I'm gonna start off with my favorite set which is a specially defensive that has lots of utility options such as Thunder Wave, Toxic, Stealth Rock, Wish, U-Turn etc. It switches easily vs hard hitters like Mega Gardevoir, Latios, Mega Diancie, Scarf Gengar doesn't 2HKO it. It takes a Dark Pulse from Hoopa-U, Specs Hydreigon, Chandelure and many other threats to Psychic. It can't switch in on the ones I just mentioned but if it's healthy and already inside it can take a hit which is why I love Thunder Wave on Jirachi because it can neutralize a big threat with it's ability to take hits nothing else on the team would. Specially Defensive Mew and Victini of course can switch into the Pokemon I listed first (Mega Garde, Diancie, Latis etc.) however they might not always be able to stay healthy and Jirachi takes those hits so much easier. Other than being a cleric, being able to set-up rocks and spread status, it also helps a ton in certain match-ups. Psychic doesn't have much to switch into Fairy type attacks outside of Victini which can only switch-in so many times before it's really weakened, especially if rocks are up. There's also Mew but that's set-up fodder for Clefable and unless it has Knock Off it loses to Specs Sylveon 1v1. Jirachi easily takes care of Fairy and there's not much that can be done about that. There's also the Choice Scarf set which is great for pivoting around with U-Turn as nothing usually wants to stay in on an Iron Head because there's a high chance it's gonna get flinched down. Access to Healing Wish and Trick also allow Jirachi to cripple walls or completely heal up another Pokemon safely due to being scarfed. Those are the two most commons sets, and probably the best ones. Jirachi still has more options to it though such as Calm Mind, Sub/Toxic, Expert Belt with a bunch of coverage moves like Energy Ball, Icy Wind, Thunderbolt etc. which are great in certain match-ups, notably Water. After reading this and thinking about it hopefully Jirachi can get some more credit and considered for A rank.
I agree with this tbh, helps the team out with healing wish, tricks scarf for defensive mons and in general helps alot vs Rock/Fairy/Poison etc

Ariados Unranked ==> D Rank

Honestly, I'm not going to let its work be in vain because I had some success with it. I've decided to nominate Ariados for D rank because of being an "okay" hazard setter and having a niche of setting down Toxic Spikes and Sticky Web which really aids in Poison providing team support in checking certain types such as Psychic and crippling Pokemon that could normally outspeed or those that usually carry Choice Scarf for example (I should have saved a few replays while playing OT last night but this idea just came to me this morning). I know that having Tentacruel, Drapion, or Dragalge to set Toxic Spikes is a better candidate but having Ariados to set up for me gives my Poison team more flexibility and extra coverage moves to run or check other types in the metagame. It also has access to the ability Sniper, which does also increase a chance for a crit to happen and with Sucker Punch, it can take out weakened Pokemon or those that are down to their Focus Sash. Not to mention if you want to get some damage off say, breaking a Focus Sash as a good example before going down is also great as well.

Tangrowth from D => C rank

Introduction: Basically, Tangrowth offers way lot more than D rank Grass Pokemons do. It isn't defined solely on its ability or a move itself, but rather, its great bulk, access to Regenerator and its Grass-only type (which actually makes neutral to Fighting and Psychic, which are really troublesome for your main Ferrothorn + Venusaur core) make it a decent choice for defensive oriented and stall Grass teams. It isn't particularly good, but it obviously deserves a room along Pokemons like Roserade, Mega-Sceptile and Ludicolo.

The moves and its overall utility to defensive teams: Tangrowth has a decent movepool which can be useful for several situations. Knock Off, Hidden Power Ice/Fire, Earthquake, Giga Drain, Focus Blast, Rock Slide, and even several support options which include the Powder moves can have their own uses, and when coupled together, it makes Tangrowth able to check a handy amount of threats that D rank mons are unable to. Furthermore, its well rounded stats (which includes even decent offenses) can make it able to serve as a reliable tank for teams with a defensive approach. It can even take several super effective moves and heal on switching without losing much momentum, thanks to its Regenerator ability.

With these traits, Tangrowth can occasionaly beat troublesome mons like Meloetta (Knock Off), Garchomp (Hidden Power Ice), Alakazam, Hoopa-Unbound (if Scarfed, it can take certain moves and switch right after, healing a portion of its health and putting something that often handles the move it is locked into), Chansey/Porygon2 (Knock Off), Landorus (Knock off weakens a lot of its power, and it is after checked with Giga Drain or HP Ice), and so on. Unlike most pokemons, Tangrowth can keep healthy by switching.

Conclusion: A specially defensive set with Assault Vest is its primary option, because its physically defensive variant is often outclassed by the likes of Gourgeist and Mega-Venusaur, although it could run several other options for the sake of its support movepool and its sole Grass typing. Again, Tangrowth isn't really good and I agree with that, but definitely deserves a better place than it currently has, for the reasons stated above.

all falls down

thanks ugly god
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Why's Mega-Ttar in A? The opportunity cost to use is honestly way too high. Mega Sableye and even Mega Sharpedo are almost always better options and the only set mega ttar has is ddance over regular ttar, and you can even dance with regular ttar if you wanted to

Mega Sharpedo atleast helps with the Ground matchup and is a great late game cleaner. Using Mega ttar not only means you cant use mega sableye or mega sharpedo, but you have to use something bad like Stealth Rock Bisharp or Krookodile lol. It's also pretty useless in a bunch of matchups, Fighting especially, where regular Ttar with chople could t-wave and get up rocks.

think it should definitely be C or perhaps B

Why's Mega-Ttar in A? The opportunity cost to use is honestly way too high. Mega Sableye and even Mega Sharpedo are almost always better options and the only set mega ttar has is ddance over regular ttar, and you can even dance with regular ttar if you wanted to

Mega Sharpedo atleast helps with the Ground matchup and is a great late game cleaner. Using Mega ttar not only means you cant use mega sableye or mega sharpedo, but you have to use something bad like Stealth Rock Bisharp or Krookodile lol. It's also pretty useless in a bunch of matchups, Fighting especially, where regular Ttar with chople could t-wave and get up rocks.

think it should definitely be C or perhaps B
I'm gonna politely disagree, Mega Ttar is no way in hell C, and I personally think it's better than the mons ranked in B. Mega Sableye I do agree with you is the best option for a Mega on Dark, but that does not mean it's the only viable one. Mega Ttar typically runs either a Mixed Tank set (with SR), or DDance. Mixed Tank allows it to be a lot more bulky upon Mega Evolution compared to its regular counterpart (especially under Sandstorm), and its Physical Attack is much stronger (plus, don't forget Regular Sableye is still highly viable, it will still have Prankster so it's absolutely not dead weight as a utility mon.

Dragon Dance though I can probably see why you're stressing so much, because Dark is a bit lacking in SR setters. I can't stress how threatening that set is, and how easy it is to boost because of its outstanding Special bulk. Bug is often a problem for Dark teams--Mandibuzz is a good defensive answer, but this is an easy way to sweep it, along with Fire, Dragon, Psychic, Ice, Poison, you can honestly make a pretty long list of how many types it can manage to sweep if played properly.

Back to the point of having an SR setter, just because Dark is lacking, does not mean it still has other leads (they may not be quite as good as regulations Ttar, but both are still very viable). Krookodile and Bisharp (the former especially) can also be leads. Bisharp is able to learn Twave, while Krook can function as a pretty good Anti-Lead often preventing hazard set up from the other side thanks to Taunt. (Btw, both of these have the same chance of setting SR on Fighting as regular Ttar).

Tl;Dr Mega Ttar is still A Rank.

Last edited:

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
I'm gonna politely disagree, Mega Ttar is no way in hell C or D. Mega Sableye I do agree with you is the best option for a Mega on Dark, but that does not mean it's the only viable one. Mega Ttar typically runs either a Mixed Tank set (with SR), or DDance. Mixed Tank allows it to be a lot more bulky upon Mega Evolution compared to its regular counterpart (especially under Sandstorm), and its Physical Attack is much stronger (plus, don't forget Regular Sableye is still highly viable, it will still have Prankster so it's absolutely not dead weight as a utility mon.

Dragon Dance though I can probably see why you're stressing so much, because Dark is a bit lacking in SR setters. I can't stress how threatening that set is, and how easy it is to boost because of its outstanding Special bulk. Bug is often a problem for Dark teams--Mandibuzz is a good defensive answer, but this is an easy way to sweep it, along with Fire, Dragon, Psychic, Ice, Poison, you can honestly make a pretty long list of how many types it can manage to sweep if played properly.

Back to the point of having an SR setter, just because Dark is lacking, does not mean it still has other leads (they may not be quite as good as regulations Ttar, but both are still very viable). Krookodile and Bisharp (the former especially) can also be leads. Bisharp is able to learn Twave, while Krook can function as a pretty good Anti-Lead often preventing hazard set up from the other side thanks to Taunt. (Btw, both of these have the same chance of setting SR on Fighting as regular Ttar).

He said C or B, not D. You do make a point about Mega Tyranitar being an effective sweeper to a bunch of types or play the role of a tank and hazard setter, however I'm gonna go with falls on this one and say it's B Rank at most.

After doing the Ice set compendium, I've seen a couple of questionable ranks for mons.

I don't understand why this is B ranked. Like, not at all. It provides very little good defensive synergy with a defensive set (252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Articuno: 207-244 (53.9 - 63.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO) while adding an additional weakness to Electric (i.e. Volt Switch is that much more threatening to you) and a 4x Rock weakness (not as bad as one may think but makes its Defogging job a lot harder), as well as the Scarf set being an arguably worse Kyurem-B in both of the matchups it's supposedly good in (Water and Fighting), in which Fusion Bolt+Outrage are better wincons than Hurricane/Freeze-Dry (gets outsped by scarf Terrakion as well as Hurricane being unreliable, 252 SpA Articuno Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Keldeo: 204-240 (63.1 - 74.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO i.e. doesnt kill Water's wincon). I think it's either low C or D ranked.
I disagree, Articuno is a good defogger, it's the only ice pokemon who can use Heal Bell in a serious ice monotype, and it can use U-turn, giving momentum.
It's faster than Avalugg, it's good against special sweeper...for me it should be B-C ranked. (However, in my opinion Heal Bell is essential, it can fight against stall stategies).

Sorry for my English, I can't speak English very well.

I'm gonna politely disagree, Mega Ttar is no way in hell C, and I personally think it's better than the mons ranked in B. Mega Sableye I do agree with you is the best option for a Mega on Dark, but that does not mean it's the only viable one. Mega Ttar typically runs either a Mixed Tank set (with SR), or DDance. Mixed Tank allows it to be a lot more bulky upon Mega Evolution compared to its regular counterpart (especially under Sandstorm), and its Physical Attack is much stronger (plus, don't forget Regular Sableye is still highly viable, it will still have Prankster so it's absolutely not dead weight as a utility mon.

I'm going with falls on this one as well, because even though HO dark is a lot of fun, it still isn't nearly as viable as standard dark including Mega-Sab, or even HO with Mega-Sharp. The rocks set seems like a waste of a mega, and DDance seems like a bit too unreliable. It'll still be outsped at +1 by almost any other scarfer, and with it's typing there are a lot of situations where it can't safely DDance more than once. Even if it is bulky, and a threat, there's also the problem of its main STAB having poor accuracy. I'd say that C is too low, B seems fine to me.

I'd rather agree with all falls down on B rank for Mega-Tyranitar. Of course, I think saying C does sound too much, but it actually requires more support to work effectively than most A rank mons would. It is essential to have the necessary conditions to setup (I guess you should be running DDance after all since it makes the most of the Mega stone), and these are often granted by its teammates, by taking down threats and using the type coverage on their teammates. Tyranitar also has too many weakness, meaning if it wants to take on the setup sweeper role, it has to be a lot more careful before it moves, since most of pokemons carry a coverage move that allows them to check it (Steel, Fighting and Water got their own priorities, which can ruin its performance throughout the game).

About the bulky/mixed set, I don't think its worth evolving Mega-Tyranitar in this case since you'll be losing a very important mega slot for Sableye or Sharpedo, and regular Ttar's bulk already satisfies most of Dark team needs.

Although I do agree this set can be a lot threatening at times, it still requires reasonable support to pull it off, and it faces a bit of difficulty on having opportunities, for the reasons stated above.

I disagree, Articuno is a good defogger, it's the only ice pokemon who can use Heal Bell in a serious ice monotype, and it can use U-turn, giving momentum.
It's faster than Avalugg, it's good against special sweeper...for me it should be B-C ranked. (However, in my opinion Heal Bell is essential, it can fight against stall stategies).

Sorry for my English, I can't speak English very well.
it's all good my man, that was like perfect grammar.

i think that cuno is really in the same boat as cryogonal in that it provides very little defensive synergy to the team. it is indeed faster than lugg and can potentially gain momentum with u-turn, but i find defensive sets just end up running out of moveslots too fast (defog, roost, freeze-dry, u-turn, heal bell, roar, toxic for shit f-d cant touch). additionally, i don't really think cleric support is good, even on balanced ice archetypes (if you REALLY REALLY want a cleric on balance, glaceon can pass wishes to poor mr. piloswine with no recovery). you have quite a few things for fighting stallmons, shit like mega glalie, toxic avalugg, life orb/band mamo, specs walrein/lapras, and trick scarf rotom-f are all much better stallbreakers than heal bell cuno (not even sure heal bell cuno counts as a stallbreaker)

also i think that pilo is a MUCH better option against special sweepers, while it has no recovery, it has the ability to tank shit from special attackers from zard y and retaliate and ohko them. whereas cuno has a few crippling weaknesses (fire, and the ELECTRIC weakness is really bad seeing as volt switch is so good) and just kind of sits there against special sweepers. i mean if theyre weak to freeze-dry and they stay in for some reason, more power to you, but if they don't, or they resist/are neutral to ice, and you don't have toxic, you're more or less a sitting duck bird against special sweepers. i still think cuno isnt good, niches dont mean much if the mon isnt great and the team has very little use for its utility.

Seo.

For Further Discussion
Ditto B->A

Ditto is one of the most used mons on Normal, making it top 5 in usage stats as it has a 67.3% usage. I disagree with the fact that it is placed in B rank with Miltank, Heliolisk and Snorlax because these mons are straight up not as viable as ditto is, since they range from 1.9%-11.9% in usage. Prevents setup sweepers from sweeping the team, and can be used to copy users with heal bell to eliminate status. Normal is overall very prone to certain setup sweepers such as Swords Dance Gallade so having a mon like ditto in the back either prevents them from trying to set up at all, or reverse sweeps them if they think its a good idea to set up. Its job on normal is very simple, yet very effective.
Note: Ditto copies all stats except HP

The only set it basically runs:
Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Transform

Last edited:

Zar

What a time
is a Contributor Alumnus
Volcanion for B -> A Rank on Fire

Volcanion is something that's relatively new and something that Fire has been longing for quite a long time, which is...a Water Immunity. Fire obviously has a bad matchup against Water due to it being extremely good all around but with Volcanion, at least the Water user can't spam Water move's for days anymore although the fact that it can't really do anything back to Water type's is a shame. Even without it's great ability, Volcanion has 80 HP, 120 Defense and 90 Special Defense which is amazing for a Fire type as Fire type's don't really have great defensive stats. It also packs a punch with it's monstrous 110 Attack and 130 Special Attack. It has a decent movepool with access to Poison type moves which can help against Fairy type teams. Also, Volcanion can live any hit from Mega Diancie before Stealth Rock damage which is pretty amazing as Mega Diancie can completely annihilate Fire teams. I'm honestly not sure which set is the best but here are some which I've been trying out and work pretty well:

Assault Vest Attacker:

Volcanion @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Choice Scarf:

Volcanion @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Specially Defensive:

Volcanion @ Air Balloon
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Bomb

it's all good my man, that was like perfect grammar.

i think that cuno is really in the same boat as cryogonal in that it provides very little defensive synergy to the team. it is indeed faster than lugg and can potentially gain momentum with u-turn, but i find defensive sets just end up running out of moveslots too fast (defog, roost, freeze-dry, u-turn, heal bell, roar, toxic for shit f-d cant touch). additionally, i don't really think cleric support is good, even on balanced ice archetypes (if you REALLY REALLY want a cleric on balance, glaceon can pass wishes to poor mr. piloswine with no recovery). you have quite a few things for fighting stallmons, shit like mega glalie, toxic avalugg, life orb/band mamo, specs walrein/lapras, and trick scarf rotom-f are all much better stallbreakers than heal bell cuno (not even sure heal bell cuno counts as a stallbreaker)

also i think that pilo is a MUCH better option against special sweepers, while it has no recovery, it has the ability to tank shit from special attackers from zard y and retaliate and ohko them. whereas cuno has a few crippling weaknesses (fire, and the ELECTRIC weakness is really bad seeing as volt switch is so good) and just kind of sits there against special sweepers. i mean if theyre weak to freeze-dry and they stay in for some reason, more power to you, but if they don't, or they resist/are neutral to ice, and you don't have toxic, you're more or less a sitting duck bird against special sweepers. i still think cuno isnt good, niches dont mean much if the mon isnt great and the team has very little use for its utility.
I think that Articuno is better than Glaceon and Piloswine...
Glaceon is too slow for Baton Pass+Wish, and it has low hp. It has a bad movepool, too.
Piloswine has no recovery, share the same types of Mamoswine and it's too slow, in my opinion.
Articuno it's bulkier than Glaceon and Piloswine(moreover, Piloswine rely on his eviolite), it has access to roost, heal bell, u-turn, defog, roar...).
Avalugg can't do rapid spin in a lot of situations, stealth rock breaks his ability and his bad special defense doesn't help. Moreover, rapid spin is uneffective against ghost pokemon, and the enemy can place a spinblocker against Avalugg. Defog is better, in my opinion, and for pokemon like Bisharp...I have my strategies ;)
Heal Bell is essential against WoW user like Sableye(who would make Mamoswine useless), because no ice pokemon can't absorb the burn, and Toxic user, because no ice pokemon can't absorb the poison. A defensive Articuno can receive some attacks(protecting the other pokemon of my team from dangerous moves) and he grants slow u-turn for my team(ice pokemon are very frail, so they usually avoid super-effective or strong moves). Articuno is the only defensive member of my team, because mine is a Total-Attack ice mono. Ice is my favourite type, I always use it, and I learnt that ice pokemon kill or be killed. But also an attacking mono should need of a defensive pokemon...and this defensive pokemon is Articuno, one of the best ice pokemon. I know his stealth rock's weakness, but it's difficult, for my enemy, placing the rocks, for a lot of reasons. It's easier setting Sticky Web or Spikes\Toxic Spikes...and Articuno is immune to Spikes\Webs\Toxic Spikes(and Articuno is bulkier than Cryogonal). Articuno shouldn't be ranked in slow C\D. It don't deserve it :/ Articuno saved my team a lot of times.

However...I love talking of ice pokemon xD

I think that Articuno is better than Glaceon and Piloswine...
Glaceon is too slow for Baton Pass+Wish, and it has low hp. It has a bad movepool, too.
Piloswine has no recovery, share the same types of Mamoswine and it's too slow, in my opinion.
Articuno it's bulkier than Glaceon and Piloswine(moreover, Piloswine rely on his eviolite), it has access to roost, heal bell, u-turn, defog, roar...).
Avalugg can't do rapid spin in a lot of situations, stealth rock breaks his ability and his bad special defense doesn't help. Moreover, rapid spin is uneffective against ghost pokemon, and the enemy can place a spinblocker against Avalugg. Defog is better, in my opinion, and for pokemon like Bisharp...I have my strategies ;)
Heal Bell is essential against WoW user like Sableye(who would make Mamoswine useless), because no ice pokemon can't absorb the burn, and Toxic user, because no ice pokemon can't absorb the poison. A defensive Articuno can receive some attacks(protecting the other pokemon of my team from dangerous moves) and he grants slow u-turn for my team(ice pokemon are very frail, so they usually avoid super-effective or strong moves). Articuno is the only defensive member of my team, because mine is a Total-Attack ice mono. Ice is my favourite type, I always use it, and I learnt that ice pokemon kill or be killed. But also an attacking mono should need of a defensive pokemon...and this defensive pokemon is Articuno, one of the best ice pokemon. I know his stealth rock's weakness, but it's difficult, for my enemy, placing the rocks, for a lot of reasons. It's easier setting Sticky Web or Spikes\Toxic Spikes...and Articuno is immune to Spikes\Webs\Toxic Spikes(and Articuno is bulkier than Cryogonal). Articuno shouldn't be ranked in slow C\D. It don't deserve it :/ Articuno saved my team a lot of times.

However...I love talking of ice pokemon xD
You might say that Avalugg is meh beacuse its ability is broken by rocks but as soon as articuno switches in it loses half its health and against the wrong mon it cant defog either. On the part where you say it's better then pilo I will disagree Stealth Rock with having the ability to live any hit from zard y if spd and killing with stone edge is useful for Ice even if they have different roles, Now where you say heal bell is verry important for WoW mons special mons like walrein and lapras can tolerate the burn and 2ko sable with frost breath. tbh its not a extremely great addition to any ice mono since it is out classed by avalugg since it takes more from rocks and since heal bell isnt overly useful for ice in my experience but I would use it if ot was pure ice since it does have better bulk. Even tho i would say C rank is better for it.

Last edited:
Ditto B->A

Ditto is one of the most used mons on Normal, making it top 5 in usage stats as it has a 67.3% usage. I disagree with the fact that it is placed in B rank with Miltank, Heliolisk and Snorlax because these mons are straight up not as viable as ditto is, since they range from 1.9%-11.9% in usage. Prevents setup sweepers from sweeping the team, and can be used to copy users with heal bell to eliminate status. Normal is overall very prone to certain setup sweepers such as Swords Dance Gallade so having a mon like ditto in the back either prevents them from trying to set up at all, or reverse sweeps them if they think its a good idea to set up. Its job on normal is very simple, yet very effective.
Note: Ditto copies all stats except HP

The only set it basically runs:
Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Transform
this was already discussed

You might say that Avalugg is meh beacuse its ability is broken by rocks but as soon as articuno switches in it loses half its health and against the wrong mon it cant defog either. On the part where you say it's better then pilo I will disagree Stealth Rock with having the ability to live any hit from zard y if spd and killing with stone edge is useful for Ice even if they have different roles, Now where you say heal bell is verry important for WoW mons special mons like walrein and lapras can tolerate the burn and 2ko sable with frost breath. tbh its not a extremely great addition to any ice mono since it is out classed by avalugg since it takes more from rocks and since heal bell isnt overly useful for ice in my experience but I would use it if ot was pure ice since it does have better bulk. Even tho i would say C rank is better for it.
In my experience, Defog Articuno was more reliable than Rapid Spin Avalugg.
1)Articuno is faster than avalugg;
2)avalugg has a bad special defense and it's very predictable(Avalanche, rapid spin, recover, roar\eartquake), while Articuno can perform attacking or defensive roles;
3)Articuno is immune to spikes, sticky web and toxic spikes, contrary to Avalugg;
5)Articuno is more balanced than Avalugg. And a mixed sweeper, like Infernape, can kill him easily;
6)Articuno can use U-turn, granting momentum to the team;
7)Avalugg can't beat a lot of spinblocker, like Sableye, who can burn him with WoW.

Avalugg is better on defensive Ice teams, Articuno in offensive Ice teams, I think...
However, Avalugg isn't a disaster, it has a great defense and it has a lot of advantages, but I think that Articuno is as good as it. In my team I prefer Articuno, only this.
Avalugg is good, but for other things and for other situations.

However, Mamoswine and Piloswine shares the same types, Mamoswine can use Stone Edge(like Piloswine) and he can battle against CharizardX. I find Infernape more dangerous than Charizard X, for a mono-ice, because it's more unpredictable, and I need to struggle against fight pokemon.
Moreover, Piloswine rely on his eviolite and the move "Knock off" it's everywhere, in the game...and Piloswine has no recover, no leftovers, no cleric moves...
an ice team should have a cleric, in my opinion.

Lapras and Walrein are too slow and their item(choice specs) and their EVs are always the same. So, they are too predictable in my opinion.
However, Lapras could be a good cleric, but it has no recovery, except for Leftovers, and it hasn't a good support movepool.

However, Articuno isn't the best ice pokemon, but for me it should be ranked C-B(not A, not D).

Seo.

this was already discussed
Ya I'm aware, but it should be further discussed since there wasn't much of a verdict after the discussion. but i guess ill say "for further discussion" at the top of my post

Last edited:
In my experience, Defog Articuno was more reliable than Rapid Spin Avalugg.
1)Articuno is faster than avalugg;
2)avalugg has a bad special defense and it's very predictable(Avalanche, rapid spin, recover, roar\eartquake), while Articuno can perform attacking or defensive roles;
3)Articuno is immune to spikes, sticky web and toxic spikes, contrary to Avalugg;
5)Articuno is more balanced than Avalugg. And a mixed sweeper, like Infernape, can kill him easily;
6)Articuno can use U-turn, granting momentum to the team;
7)Avalugg can't beat a lot of spinblocker, like Sableye, who can burn him with WoW.

Avalugg is better on defensive Ice teams, Articuno in offensive Ice teams, I think...
However, Avalugg isn't a disaster, it has a great defense and it has a lot of advantages, but I think that Articuno is as good as it. In my team I prefer Articuno, only this.
Avalugg is good, but for other things and for other situations.

However, Mamoswine and Piloswine shares the same types, Mamoswine can use Stone Edge(like Piloswine) and he can battle against CharizardX. I find Infernape more dangerous than Charizard X, for a mono-ice, because it's more unpredictable, and I need to struggle against fight pokemon.
Moreover, Piloswine rely on his eviolite and the move "Knock off" it's everywhere, in the game...and Piloswine has no recover, no leftovers, no cleric moves...
an ice team should have a cleric, in my opinion.

Lapras and Walrein are too slow and their item(choice specs) and their EVs are always the same. So, they are too predictable in my opinion.
However, Lapras could be a good cleric, but it has no recovery, except for Leftovers, and it hasn't a good support movepool.

However, Articuno isn't the best ice pokemon, but for me it should be ranked C-B(not A, not D).
1) pretty much doesnt matter seeing as avalugg walls most slow attackers and can easily phaze them, unless you come upon a hoopa-c or the odd reuniclus or maybe a dragalge. slow fightings, slow rocks, and shit like hippo is a lot more fucking common than shit that a) cuno outspeeds and b) cuno walls.
2) team support, mostly from your specs water type or abomasnow, will help alleviate avalugg's poor special defense, whereas cuno can really only be paired with... idk, avalugg?
3. literally does not matter seeing as a) avalugg is slow as fuck anyway b) avalugg's lack of immunity to toxic spikes can actually help you against some spike stack balance, allowing you to get regular poison and act as a status absorber for the rest of the game. also i dont really know who uses spikes beyond ho steel teams, who fuck up cuno with sr and that cuno (along with like half of ice mons) cant touch.
5 (?). do you know what you do with mixed sweepers? you revenge them with scarf kyurem-black i.e. one of the best mons available to ice. i'd like to see a replay where you actually manage to beat nape with cuno because the calcs arent exactly good for spdef cuno vs infernape.
252 SpA Infernape Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Articuno: 192-228 (50 - 59.3%) -- 75.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Articuno Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Infernape: 48-57 (16.3 - 19.4%) -- possible 6HKO
6. cool, i agree with this and this is something cuno does that avalugg doesn't. im not sure its a good niche and i dont like how it wastes a moveslot but thats just me
7. spinblockers are a struggle, yes. if you look at actual common spinblockers, you will find sab on dark, doublade on ho steel (hardwalled by avalugg and a literal health source if youre roar lugg), lass on ice, and ghost in general. you don't keep in lugg on sab, you switch to walrein and surf their walrein switchin, or frost breath if theyre stupid enough to cm. youre put into a somewhat disadvantageous position but not nearly one that is insurmountable or worth sacrificing your only real check to shit like scarf terrak and friends.

we're talking abt zard y, not x which is banned, and yes, it bops mamo. zard y's fire/grass coverage is very hard for ice to beat without going deep with a kyurem predict (which is dicy in both the flying and fire matchup, with skarm/tran to tank outrage and glisc/lando/tran to tank a fusion bolt). mamo has very little answer to zard y other than "waste one of your valuable moveslots that could be ice shard, or knock off, or superpower; for literally covering one mon. addtionally you either need to be scarf mamo or you need your sash intact lmao"

nape requires you to go deep with a kyurem predict unless youre ballsy enough to guess it's pure physical and put lugg in. either way its not something cuno is tasked to beat nor should it be

also, look at successful ice teams (broccol1's, dece1t's, mine, alexis breeze's) and find the clerics. there arent any because it simply isnt an essential (or arguably even appreciated) role on ice.

Last edited:
1) pretty much doesnt matter seeing as avalugg walls most slow attackers and can easily phaze them, unless you come upon a hoopa-c or the odd reuniclus or maybe a dragalge. slow fightings, slow rocks, and shit like hippo is a lot more fucking common than shit that a) cuno outspeeds and b) cuno walls.
2) team support, mostly from your specs water type or abomasnow, will help alleviate avalugg's poor special defense, whereas cuno can really only be paired with... idk, avalugg?
3. literally does not matter seeing as a) avalugg is slow as fuck anyway b) avalugg's lack of immunity to toxic spikes can actually help you against some spike stack balance, allowing you to get regular poison and act as a status absorber for the rest of the game. also i dont really know who uses spikes beyond ho steel teams, who fuck up cuno with sr and that cuno (along with like half of ice mons) cant touch.
5 (?). do you know what you do with mixed sweepers? you revenge them with scarf kyurem-black i.e. one of the best mons available to ice. i'd like to see a replay where you actually manage to beat nape with cuno because the calcs arent exactly good for spdef cuno vs infernape.
252 SpA Infernape Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Articuno: 192-228 (50 - 59.3%) -- 75.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Articuno Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Infernape: 48-57 (16.3 - 19.4%) -- possible 6HKO
6. cool, i agree with this and this is something cuno does that avalugg doesn't. im not sure its a good niche and i dont like how it wastes a moveslot but thats just me
7. spinblockers are a struggle, yes. if you look at actual common spinblockers, you will find sab on dark, doublade on ho steel (hardwalled by avalugg and a literal health source if youre roar lugg), lass on ice, and ghost in general. you don't keep in lugg on sab, you switch to walrein and surf their walrein switchin, or frost breath if theyre stupid enough to cm. youre put into a somewhat disadvantageous position but not nearly one that is insurmountable or worth sacrificing your only real check to shit like scarf terrak and friends.

we're talking abt zard y, not x which is banned, and yes, it's still bopped by mamo. zard y's fire/grass coverage is very hard for ice to beat without going deep with a kyurem predict (which is dicy in both the flying and fire matchup, with skarm/tran to tank outrage and glisc/lando/tran to tank a fusion bolt). mamo has very little answer to zard y other than "waste one of your valuable moveslots that could be ice shard, or knock off, or superpower; for literally covering one mon. addtionally you either need to be scarf mamo or you need your sash intact lmao"

nape requires you to go deep with a kyurem predict unless youre ballsy enough to guess it's pure physical and put lugg in. either way its not something cuno is tasked to beat nor should it be

also, look at successful ice teams (broccol1's, dece1t's, mine, alexis breeze's) and find the clerics. there arent any because it simply isnt an essential (or arguably even appreciated) role on ice.
1)Articuno has more probabilities to defog than Avalugg, who lost against a lot of special sweeper;
2)Abomasnow in mono-ice? What?? Ice mono are too frail, MegaAboma is too slow and often useless against Fire-Mono, Fighting Mono and Steel Mono(who can beat it in one hit). I don't think that a lot of people uses MegaAbomasnow(or Abomasnow xD) in monotype...moreover, ice pokemon(especially Abomasnow) have too many weaknessess, they can't resist a lot against strong supereffective moves(Infernape kills your team in a second, if you haven't the right team);
3)Toxic decrease Avalugg's hp, break its sturdy and make it more vulnerable to lost in one hit; for the status, Articuno has heal bell and heals your team. This is an obective advantage on Avalugg. Articuno is not too bad. However, I saw some bug mono using the spikes, with Accelgor. Steel monos are diffuclt to beat, but Articuno can help the team, granting, for example, slow u-turn, in order to use the right pokemon against a particular steel pokemon(sorry if I didn't explain my opinion very well);
5)I didn't say that I bet Infernape with Articuno, I never have said that. Never. Articuno can resist a Hit and then he can use U-turn. Avalugg can't do that. Infernape can 2OHKO KyuremB with fire blast...and Infernape can use fighting moves and priority...choicescarf KyuremB in mono-ice is the most predictable thing in the world(only a stupid wouldn't switch his pokemon) and Infernape often has the Focus Sash(Infernape is a lead, usually). Avalugg need too much support, in order to shine; Articuno often dies, in my team, but it saves me a lot of times. For you is orrible and I don't understand the reason. It doesn't deserve the D-Rank;
6)U-turn is fantastic, I grant it;
7)Sableye use WoW on Walrein and then the enemy switch his pokemon. People talk about "Predict" ._. And your walrein lost some hp, it has no recover and die, slowly. Then, Sableye will start to laugh with his trainer and it will kill your team;

"addtionally you either need to be scarf mamo or you need your sash intact lmao"
In fact Mamoswine is often scarfed or sashed xD Knock off is quite useless, when you have Weavile(one of the most used ice pokemon) xD

"nape requires you to go deep with a kyurem predict unless youre ballsy enough to guess it's pure physical and put lugg in. either way its not something cuno is tasked to beat nor should it be"
I don't understand the phrase, sorry, repeat it with simplier words, please(sorry, but I'm not English)

About ice mono teams, I saw that, but, how you can see, they often lost against fight(Broccol1) and steel(and bug when there was Scizor); and Mega-Sableye was a big problem. Articuno is good against fighting mono, he saved me a lot of times. Cleric are good against stall strategies, in my opinion.

However...I didn't say that Articuno is the best pokemon in the world, not an A-ranked pokemon, but a B\C-ranked pokemon. It don't deserve the D-Rank; it's not Cryogonal or Glaceon, it's not so bad, as you think. It's a good pokemon :)

1)Articuno has more probabilities to defog than Avalugg, who lost against a lot of special sweeper;
2)Abomasnow in mono-ice? What?? Ice mono are too frail, MegaAboma is too slow and often useless against Fire-Mono, Fighting Mono and Steel Mono(who can beat it in one hit). I don't think that a lot of people uses MegaAbomasnow(or Abomasnow xD) in monotype...moreover, ice pokemon(especially Abomasnow) have too many weaknessess, they can't resist a lot against strong supereffective moves(Infernape kills your team in a second, if you haven't the right team);
3)Toxic decrease Avalugg's hp, break its sturdy and make it more vulnerable to lost in one hit; for the status, Articuno has heal bell and heals your team. This is an obective advantage on Avalugg. Articuno is not too bad. However, I saw some bug mono using the spikes, with Accelgor. Steel monos are diffuclt to beat, but Articuno can help the team, granting, for example, slow u-turn, in order to use the right pokemon against a particular steel pokemon(sorry if I didn't explain my opinion very well);
5)I didn't say that I bet Infernape with Articuno, I never have said that. Never. Articuno can resist a Hit and then he can use U-turn. Avalugg can't do that. Infernape can 2OHKO KyuremB with fire blast...and Infernape can use fighting moves and priority...choicescarf KyuremB in mono-ice is the most predictable thing in the world(only a stupid wouldn't switch his pokemon) and Infernape often has the Focus Sash(Infernape is a lead, usually). Avalugg need too much support, in order to shine; Articuno often dies, in my team, but it saves me a lot of times. For you is orrible and I don't understand the reason. It doesn't deserve the D-Rank;
6)U-turn is fantastic, I grant it;
7)Sableye use WoW on Walrein and then the enemy switch his pokemon. People talk about "Predict" ._. And your walrein lost some hp, it has no recover and die, slowly. Then, Sableye will start to laugh with his trainer and it will kill your team;

"addtionally you either need to be scarf mamo or you need your sash intact lmao"
In fact Mamoswine is often scarfed or sashed xD Knock off is quite useless, when you have Weavile(one of the most used ice pokemon) xD

"nape requires you to go deep with a kyurem predict unless youre ballsy enough to guess it's pure physical and put lugg in. either way its not something cuno is tasked to beat nor should it be"
I don't understand the phrase, sorry, repeat it with simplier words, please(sorry, but I'm not English)

About ice mono teams, I saw that, but, how you can see, they often lost against fight(Broccol1) and steel(and bug when there was Scizor); and Mega-Sableye was a big problem. Articuno is good against fighting mono, he saved me a lot of times. Cleric are good against stall strategies, in my opinion.

However...I didn't say that Articuno is the best pokemon in the world, not an A-ranked pokemon, but a B\C-ranked pokemon. It don't deserve the D-Rank; it's not Cryogonal or Glaceon, it's not so bad, as you think. It's a good pokemon :)
Tbh Mega aboma isnt by itself there a thing called Cores that It Paris with things like Walrein pilo Lapras, things that can take a steel and fire hit so saying dont use it beacuse its weak to the types all ice mons are mostly weak to doesn't make sence to me. and btw spikes Accelgor isnt a thing high or mid ladder aswell as saying mamo is often scarfed is VERRY wrong its an lo wall breaker or a sash Rocks lead. Also Yea pivot is great but you'll also find it on more useful mons like Rotom-Frost also when you say that walrein can't do anything if sable switches is untrue if Sable hasn't set up yet you can go for surf which will hit a switch like chand or Dou from the predicted frost breath and nothing on dark likes takeing a surf except cacturne or av spd ttar.
And you also said Infernape helped beat mixed mons like Infernape which it cant beat at all after rocks are up. Not tryna flame you just wanted you to know that Articuno isnt the best option and will say it deserves c but not d (ps . To much aslo sorry .-.)

Last edited:
Tbh Mega aboma isnt by itself there a thing called Cores that It Paris with things like Walrein pilo Lapras, things that can take a steel and fire hit so saying dont use it beacuse its weak to the types all ice mons are mostly weak to doesn't make sence to me. and btw spikes Accelgor isnt a thing high or mid ladder aswell as saying mamo is often scarfed is VERRY wrong its an lo wall breaker or a sash Rocks lead. Also Yea pivot is great but you'll also find it on more useful mons like Rotom-Frost also when you say that walrein can't do anything if sable switches is untrue if Sable hasn't set up yet you can go for surf which will hit a switch like chand or Dou from the predicted frost breath and nothing on dark likes takeing a surf except cacturne or av spd ttar.
And you also said Infernape helped beat mixed mons like Infernape which it cant beat at all after rocks are up. Not tryna flame you just wanted you to know that Articuno isnt the best option and will say it deserves c but not d (ps . To much aslo sorry .-.)
Aboma and Lapras are weak to fight, and fight is very dangerous, for a Mono-Ice. In fact Broccol1's big problem was Fight. Aboma is too slow and he lost against a lot of pokemon, in my opinion. Articuno's u-turn is more useful than RotomF's volt switch, because volt switch is uneffective against ground pokemon. Don't talk a lot about predict, and Umbreon loves Surf (252+ SpA Choice Specs Walrein Surf vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Umbreon: 118-139 (29.9 - 35.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery).
Lapras and Walrein, moreover, are weak to fight(and MegaScizor's superpower is very very dangerous...and MegaScizor is faster than Lapras and Walrein.

"And you also said Infernape helped beat mixed mons like Infernape which it cant beat at all after rocks are up"
I don't understand the phrase's mean. I said that Infernape is a big problem for an ice mono, because it's a mixed sweeper and it's unpredictable. I understand, about your phrase, that you think that for me Infernape can kill every mixed pokemon??

" Not tryna flame you just wanted you to know that Articuno isnt the best option and will say it deserves c but not d (ps . To much aslo sorry .-.)"
Articuno isn't the best pokemon, I know that(If it was the best opion, I would say that it should be A-Ranked), but it isn't so bad for D-rank

P.S.:Articuno can resist to fight pokemon. It's a big resource.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)