Moody

Status
Not open for further replies.
OH NO IT'S OCTILLERY!

*casually switches in Shedinja*
*casually starts Swords Dancing/Claw Sharpening until they realize they aren't carrying Flamethrower or... iunno... Rock Blast? Does it get any Flying moves? I know it has no Dark or Ghost moves*

Just ftr, I carry Claw Sharpen because I also carry Baton Pass, and SD/BP are not compatible with each other.

Also, it's more funny against Bibarel, who only carries Water/Normal.

OH NO IT'S OCTILLERY!

*casually switches in Shedinja*
*casually starts Swords Dancing/Claw Sharpening until they realize they aren't carrying Flamethrower or... iunno... Rock Blast? Does it get any Flying moves? I know it has no Dark or Ghost moves*

Just ftr, I carry Claw Sharpen because I also carry Baton Pass, and SD/BP are not compatible with each other.

Also, it's more funny against Bibarel, who only carries Water/Normal.
*Octillery casually uses Toxic*

With all your bad arguments you people make me laugh.

this ability simply changes the way the battle will be played. This ability turns its users into the gen 3 Snorlax of gen 5. (sorry if that is difficult to understand) Not only is this ability easily played around with moves like Clear Smog and Aura Sphere but it is easily negated by simply killing the Pokemon with the ability before it gets a lot of boost by using say... a choice band Slaking with Little by Little. There are enough moves out there that people are so used to not using that this strategy (and yes it is a strategy, just like hax abuse is) is easily countered.
There's one major problem with that strategy. let's see if we can identify it

simply killing the Pokemon with the ability before it gets a lot of boost by using say... a choice band Slaking with Little by Little.
getting warmer

a choice band Slaking with Little by Little.
warmer

choice band Slaking
there we go

[edit: ninja'd. also, he changed it to "feint" while i was posting.]

Magnezone is a ballin counter in the rain, as long as they don't get a sp.att boost first turn on the switch in you win. Sub on their Protect, then Thunder away. Thunder never misses in the rain, including evasion boosts. Still have not been defeated by an Octillery btw.
ironically as i was reading this happened

Magnezone restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
The foe's Octillery's Inconsistent sharply raises its Sp. Att.!
The foe's Octillery's Inconsistent lowers its Attack!

Start of turn 6
The foe's Octillery used Protect!
The foe's Octillery protected itself!

Magnezone used Thunder!
The foe's Octillery protected itself!

Rain continues to fall!
Magnezone restored a little HP using its Leftovers!
The foe's Octillery's Inconsistent sharply raises its Speed!
The foe's Octillery's Inconsistent lowers its Sp. Def.!

Start of turn 7
The foe's Octillery used Surf!
Magnezone lost 264 HP! (93% of its health)
Magnezone fainted!

Slaking is actually an OK bulky Pokémon. However, are we really using Feint? Really?
after you guys laughed at me i checked Slaking's movepool and he doesn't have Feint but he does have Little by Little. I also didn't notice that feints power dropped from 50 to 30 from gen 4 to 5 which makes a big difference. I also edited the post which had feint to have Little by Little instead.

after you guys laughed at me i checked Slaking's movepool and he doesn't have Feint but he does have Little by Little. I also didn't notice that feints power dropped from 50 to 30 from gen 4 to 5 which makes a big difference. I also edited the post which had feint to have Little by Little instead.
Doesn't make a difference, it's still laughable.

Slaking isn't a very good pokemon, and it's very easy set-up for inconsistent abusers. They carry protect, which royally screws him over.

And feint was/is still an absolutely horrible, pathetic move either way.

And unless you can get rid of Truant, Slaking is useless against anything that has Substitute anyway. Octy's just gonna Sub on your Truant turns, then Surf when you break his Sub, rinse, and repeat. Slaking is a godawful counter for anything with Inconsistent.

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
After building a team around Inconsistent I can honestly say this is my favorite ability of all time after Shadow Tag. Sure it's unreliable since you may get several turns of Accuracy boosts while your more important stats drop. But get a couple of Evasion and Speed boosts and you're ready to sweep.

I like to use Inconsistent Smeargle which Baton Passes to a Shadow Tag Shandera with White Herb to clear up any negative stat drops. Shandera can try and set up Calm Minds if it didn't get any special boosts and it's immune to Aura Sphere. Against Clear Smog (which no one actually uses) I'll just stall them with Smeargle since it only has 24 PP max.

Anyways, this ability is so much fun! It really lets NU Pokemon like Bibarel, Octillery, and Glalie shine and sweep OU teams with some luck. :heart:

Anyways, this ability is so much fun! It really lets previously-NU Pokemon like Bibarel, Octillery, and Glalie shine and sweep OU teams with some luck. :heart:
Verrrrry important to make that distinction... The question now is just 'is it broken'? A lot of people seem to think so, but I'm honestly not sure.

It's just not even fun fighting against inconsistant users any more. I've had games where I've been dominating my opponent the entire game until their inconsistant user comes out and walls then sweeps my entire team. If I see an inconsistant user in the team preview I don't even bother trying, I can win/lose two other battles in that time, and have fun while doing it.

'is it broken'?
Offensive Characteristic
A Pokémon is uber if, in common battle conditions, it is capable of sweeping through a significant portion of teams in the metagame with little effort.

Defensive Characteristic
A Pokémon is uber if, in common battle conditions, it is able to wall and stall out a significant portion of the metagame.

Support Characteristic
A Pokémon is uber if, in common battle conditions, it can consistently set up a situation in which it makes it substantially easier for other pokemon to sweep.
Inconsistant fills two of those categories with one pokemon.

I dunno, I think this is easily exploitable with skill swap. I think that GF had a feeling of just how hideous this thing is...not a single pokemon on the list, even the unreleased ones, is bulky enough to take hits from the heavy hitters of the game and not one of them has a stat that is outrageous to begin with.

This ability, in my opinion, really calls to attention just how much bullshit set up is involved in competitive battling. Getting a free switch while the opposition stat ups, sets up rocks/spikes/whatever and then protecting or subbing (if you're okay at predicting) means a shitstorm is coming the way of the opposition. Meanwhile, had the opposition just used fucking outrage instead of DD or something to begin with, the entire problem would be averted. I think this ability really brings to light the exploitable nature of people who like to set up, rather than just attack; it makes things more offensive.

you people are saying that we shouldn't have to carry an OK move (Perish Song) just for these pokemon, but how many special sweepers carry HP Grass for swampert when they wished they could just use HP Ice (Magnezone, ZXapdos) or HP Fire for scizor?

I used to think Inconsistent was ban worthy but when you think that many of the better 4th gen players were using Perish song, it is actually a very legitimate move that I'm sure will fit on just about any team.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
you people are saying that we shouldn't have to carry an OK move (Perish Song) just for these pokemon, but how many special sweepers carry HP Grass for swampert when they wished they could just use HP Ice (Magnezone, ZXapdos) or HP Fire for scizor?
Except that if Swampert comes in on your sweeper without a grass move, you don't get swept. Huge difference.

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Yeah, it's actually insane how many times I've won when I really shouldn't have.

I've actually never faced an Inconsistent user so I don't know what it's like to be on the receiving end, but in case I do, I always have my Porygon2 with Trace. Speaking of which, P2 is also an amazing Baton Pass recipient especially if you've acquired a lot of Speed/Attack drops but plenty of Defense/Sp. Defense boosts.

Also this ability is a lot harder to pull off on WiFi since you have to manually track your boosts/drops instead of simply rolling your mouse over your Pokemon.

Speaking of which, Gardevoir, Pory2 or any other tracer would be hideous to face against a trace oriented team. They will be prepared to dish it but simply will not be prepared to stop it.

+2 evasion isn't SO bad that it needs to be banned, I think. Yeah, there is some luck involved but that is inescapably built into the game with crits and the ideal that every move isn't 100% accuracy. If you don't like it, I'm sure there are other games where luck doesn't play a role (see: chess). The idea that it can +6 evasion while -3 random stats WHILE moving (with two protects) is disconcerting, but I'd like to think I can mitigate a smeargle/bibarel/whatever with my well thought out team BEFORE it gets to that point and I'm not exactly the savviest of battlers. Not to mention this game is TAILOR MADE for accuracy and to minimize risk, so some fucker coming in on your *typically* highest accuracy possibly moves should be a cake walk. Not to mention No guard Machamp is still at large.

I think that proposing to ban this is cowardace; it gives mons like Octillery a chance to ACTUALLY EXIST rather than be in a tier that we may get around to 2-4 years after the generation comes out.

I think this comes down to people be unprepared for it. It is no worse for hax than scarf flinch jirachi or wonder guard and certainly no worse than wondersash, which single handedly can win games if played right. Hell, if anything this should make a defensive bibarel legitimate as unaware (unless I missed something) RUINS this shit.

I worry about a metagame in its infancy and flying the flag of "no early bans" flustered about a bibarel or octillery that COULD (1/7 chance, at the end of the turn, if you don't OHKO it when it switches in) do some damage to your team of potentially very potent pokemon.

As an avid Octillery abuser, I'd like to say:
Have fun with your Trace user while it gets Toxic'd, I'll happily resume my SubProtect cycle afterwards. Thats how I've beaten every single Trace abuser so far at least.
Machamp also goes down to Octillery. Keep in mind that Octillery can easily be EV'd to outpace him. It will then Sub/Protect until strong enough to OHKO Machamp. Harder to beat then most stuff but Machamp surely isn't invincible.
You only need one turn of not being on the constant offense and you're toast if Octillery rolls the dice right.

As an avid Octillery abuser, I'd like to say:
Have fun with your Trace user while it gets Toxic'd, I'll happily resume my SubProtect cycle afterwards. Thats how I've beaten every single Trace abuser so far at least.
Machamp also goes down to Octillery. Keep in mind that Octillery can easily be EV'd to outpace him. It will then Sub/Protect until strong enough to OHKO Machamp. Harder to beat then most stuff but Machamp surely isn't invincible.
You only need one turn of not being on the constant offense and you're toast if Octillery rolls the dice right.
So to make this move work effectively, you are running:

Substitute
Protect
Toxic
Probably Surf

bulky Water types laugh pretty heartily at this, especially any that can phaze or have water absorb...or have bulk of any kind in OU. CM suicune bends this over so hard it may as well not even be wearing a skirt.

Yeah, I think I'll take my chances on that rather than have you bust out a sure thing in Gyarados or Suicune, thanks.

Marakacchi will wall you with Substitute and spam Acupressure. Then it beats you with Petal Dance and Hidden Power Fire. Also, Yawn stops them for a while when the Sub is missing, as it never misses.

So to make this move work effectively, you are running:

Substitute
Protect
Toxic
Probably Surf

bulky Water types laugh pretty heartily at this, especially any that can phaze or have water absorb...or have bulk of any kind in OU. CM suicune bends this over so hard it may as well not even be wearing a skirt.

Yeah, I think I'll take my chances on that rather than have you bust out a sure thing in Gyarados or Suicune, thanks.
Bulky waters don't exactly laugh at it, considering boosted Surfs hurt a lot and they will have to Rest after you Toxic them. With Evasion and Speed boosts, they'll often miss and you'll get the critical hit before them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)