Most Underrated Pokémon of Generation 5

also crustle(iwaparesu) makes for a decent spikes/stealth rock lead with sturdy and custap...also has nice stabs in stone edge and x-scissor and can even make for a decent shell breaker....

Zoroark...you don't see too many around but it's strong and it can easily fool your opponent into overpredicting.

It also has a wide range of sets and can really help sweepers if there's no team preview.

Crustle is a pain. Definitely underrated. It handily beats all the mischievous heart and magic mirror pokes that give spikers so much trouble. The downside is that forry can set up on it all day long and spin when it's done.

My choice for most underrated is virizion. Great typing, bulk, speed and movepool combine into a terror for sand and rain. I personally prefer the physical set over the special one, but it's much better than people take it for either way.

Zekrom is another one. You don't hear too much about it or see it often. One of the best mixed attackers ever. Its lightning strike is absolutely ridiculous, and draco meteor destroys every ground type in the game.

Zoroark...you don't see too many around but it's strong and it can easily fool your opponent into overpredicting.

It also has a wide range of sets and can really help sweepers if there's no team preview.
I use one.

Dead weight against any team with a priority attack, useless unless it gets in at 100% for focus sash (which means that any sandstorm team automatically removes a turn of life from it), needs to rely on focus miss to destroy common pokemon (unless you feel like getting walled by just about anything), not high enough speed to outspeed stuff like Starmie, Gengar, Weavile etc., lack of Close Combat means you can easily predict a special set and not be too worried even if it is a physical set, can't use any item other than focus sash because it gets OHKO'ed by everything except offensively pathetic pokemon.

I use it because I really like Zoro and the ability is cool. Occasionally it does a really good job, this tends to be against teams lacking an answer to any decently fast special sweeper (ie. pretty bad teams) or in the late game where the turns are more vital and a single misprediction can decide the game.

I use him as his own ace in the sleeve and not to clear the way for another sweeper so I run Night Burst. I fake that it's a Gengar (getting experimentally switched for Mismagius) or a P-Z (which will get experimentally switched for P2) if Gengar is fainted, it doesn't matter what one as long as the outcome is the same: Zoro gets a NP without blowing the focus sash.

I think this pokemon would do a lot better in UU. Unfortunately, it's just too cool not to use and is thus unlikely to fall down there but it's also probably too strong for that tier. Otherwise it's a pokemon that rewards your skill in using it more than just DD'ing and then clicking Outrage.

I use one.

Dead weight against any team with a priority attack, useless unless it gets in at 100% for focus sash (which means that any sandstorm team automatically removes a turn of life from it), needs to rely on focus miss to destroy common pokemon (unless you feel like getting walled by just about anything), not high enough speed to outspeed stuff like Starmie, Gengar, Weavile etc., lack of Close Combat means you can easily predict a special set and not be too worried even if it is a physical set, can't use any item other than focus sash because it gets OHKO'ed by everything except offensively pathetic pokemon.

I use it because I really like Zoro and the ability is cool. Occasionally it does a really good job, this tends to be against teams lacking an answer to any decently fast special sweeper (ie. pretty bad teams) or in the late game where the turns are more vital and a single misprediction can decide the game.

I use him as his own ace in the sleeve and not to clear the way for another sweeper so I run Night Burst. I fake that it's a Gengar (getting experimentally switched for Mismagius) or a P-Z (which will get experimentally switched for P2) if Gengar is fainted, it doesn't matter what one as long as the outcome is the same: Zoro gets a NP without blowing the focus sash.

I think this pokemon would do a lot better in UU. Unfortunately, it's just too cool not to use and is thus unlikely to fall down there but it's also probably too strong for that tier. Otherwise it's a pokemon that rewards your skill in using it more than just DD'ing and then clicking Outrage.
life orb + sucker punch solves so many problems, and focus sash? how could that work with all the entry hazrds and sandstorms?

life orb + sucker punch solves so many problems, and focus sash? how could that work with all the entry hazrds and sandstorms?
I make it a priority to remove hazards, it's very important for the rest of my team anyway (Ulgamoth and Parasect don't like the stuff either). As it usually grants me an extra turn I prefer it over LO, an extra turn is an extra turn and that can't be valued enough on Zoro imo. Especially useful if I get a NP up (usually do) as it works as an insurance against random attacks that would otherwise stop you then and there. Sucker punch is cool but it would still be kind of meh with just LO I'd think and would leave me without a dark STAB to use with nasty plot.

If it works for you then by all means but nah... I like my Zoro the way he is :)

I used to have a Zoro on my OU team on Pokemon Online. It was pretty good. It was a great lead. Completely fooled my opponent every time. Although after fooling the opponent's lead and usually killing them, he was KIND of a dead weight. But his Sucker Punches faired well against many ghosts.

In this metagame, I have a lot of success with LO Starmie. Outspeeding a lot of sand and rain threats and hitting them with SE hits. Dory still beats it though.

I think Scrafty is pretty underrated. Even though it has the same Attack as Drapion (90, which is average by OU standards), it can boost it with Dragon Dance, Bulk Up and/or Moxie. It's also very bulky, despite a poor HP stat.

I think Kyurem although that one is questionable because it has been both over and underrated but in the end most people way underrate it it seems like. Considering it is tied with the Strongest user of Stab Draco Meteor (Latios), it is surprisingly not considered. Most people are turned off the whole Ice thing but Kyurem really is surprisingly bulky as well as a dangerous special attacker. Stab on both Ice and Dragon is pretty cool as well and while weakness to Stealth Rock is never a plus, people treat it like instant death to it which it most certainly isn't. With Wish and Spin support, it is pretty hard to kill and can set up Dual Screens and you still have to watch out for those blasted Draco Meteors which are a pain for most pokemon to switch in on. It has Focus Blast and Hp Fire for steels (although would have loved Flamethrower certainly as does Latios) and although 70% accurate moves are never stable to rely upon, it helps for coverage and other pokemon run it too (the reason why I mention this is that some people felt the need to penalize Kyurem for having to run Focus Blast and Hp Fire when so many other pokemon have to as well which is double standarding) and really helps killing Heatran and Nattorei (although Icebeam does hit neutral and could 2 hit ko weakened Nattorei's with Specs or Life Orb). Screen support is helpful as well and for being one of those awesome underutilized pokes that destroy Rain and water pokes especially. But the only real pokemon Kyurem fears are Specs Draco Meteors (Latios), Choice Band Scizor (handled by Hp Fire and defensive Kyurem carrying Reflect), Breloom if Kyurem's weakened, and steels almost never seen nowadays Jirachi/Metagross, and Brongzong. Short of that, very little can switch in safely and Dragons fear Kyurem's Ice and Dragon moves. I feel kyurem is underappreciated.

Slowbro is another good option for Regeneration and the importance of having a Fighting resist as well as a 50% recovery move, status options, being able to set up sweeps or sweep itself with Calm Mind and Trick Room, etc.

Zoroark as people have mentioned. It's weak defensively but it's fast and is so fun for mind games (especially without Team Preview but with could cause some pretty fun mindgames as well) and is a very strong attacker. There's nothing more fun than messing with people (and if you see Haxorus, there must be a Zoroark somewhere since Nattorei has such a bad tendency of switching in on it so knowing that, the opponent could be very hesistant of switching in since all of the priority and steel users wouldn't like the chance of switching in on Zoroark). Zoroark has lots of fun things to pretend being like Infernape, Blaziken, Haxorus, Gengar, Mismagius, almost any fighter (barring Stealth Rock), Heracross, etc. It also pokes holes in the opponents team and could remove vital counters to allow something else to hit through which is awesome.

Nominating Galvantula (after the discovery it didn't learn Buttergly Dance everyone left it), Crustle (awesome Sturdy lead/SSmash sweeper), Liligant (huge support movepool and access to Butterfly Dance to become a Sun Sweeper/Abuser, and backing up your mention of Stunfisk. I haven't thought of a full moveset yet, but it's fairly bulky with some good support options and an awesomely derpy design.

Nominating Galvantula (after the discovery it didn't learn Buttergly Dance everyone left it), Crustle (awesome Sturdy lead/SSmash sweeper), Liligant (huge support movepool and access to Butterfly Dance to become a Sun Sweeper/Abuser.
I don't think Lilligant is underrated, because he is used pretty much. I'm probably gonna edit Galvantula and Crustle in there later today

I don't think Lilligant is underrated, because he is used pretty much. I'm probably gonna edit Galvantula and Crustle in there later today
Lilligant is an all-female species. >_>

Anyway, I think Scolipede is underrated, too. Like Scrafty, it has base 90 Attack, but its Speed is good. Because of this, it can be a good Baton Passer of Swords Dance, Substitute or Agility (and to a lesser extent, Iron Defense) or a suicide lead. I'll post sets later.

I don't feel like going into specific sets at the moment, but I'll name a few
- Emboar
- Mandibuzz
- Verizion
- Druddigon
- Golurk
- Krookidile
- Elektross

In some of these cases its very understandable (namely Krookidile), but these few can still pull their weight pretty well.

Saw Braviary on the list, havta say a few words:
Braviary turned a lot of people off at the start. He was so hyped up by design alone and the hope for Sheer Force blocking negative effects. Drawback-less Brave Bird and Superpower certainly would've ensured we'd see a lot more of the War Eagle. This disappointment, and his lack of egg moves (100% male), left a lot of folks groaning.
That said, he is by NO means a bad Pokemon. Very nice Attack stat of 123, and surprisingly good defenses, 100/75/75. His base 80 speed is something of a letdown though, and it's a real shame he doesn't get Agility.
I've found that his boosting sets (Bulk Up or even Tailwind) aren't too bad, but they are more effective in the lower tiers. Bulk Up especially seems promising, but his speed often leads to him being revenged even after surviving the initial hit and boosting. That said, a Tailwind/Bulk Up LO set to take advantage of Sheer Force is still a pretty effective option. Crush Claw and Rock Slide get the boosts without the recoil, and Superpower or Brave Bird rounds it out with coverage and power, albeit LO recoil. However, with Choice items, Braviary truly gets to shine. Band makes him a great wallbreaker, and Scarf'd Braviary is a powerful revenge killer. In late game, he can really rip through the opposition.
He certainly isn't "outclassed" by Staraptor, as they play different enough roles to make either one a viable choice depending on taste, and when played properly he's pretty potent even in OU. Hopefully next game he gets some good tutor or level-up move additions!

I'd have to recommend Sigilyph as an underrated pokemon. I don't see Sigilyph around very much because of a certain blobby cute pokemon that you just wanna squeeze and luv...... *Ahem*. Where was I.... oh yea. Reuniclus looks like the prefered option because they seems similar with the same ability but Reuniclus has obviously better stats. However, what Sigilyph as over Reuniclus is it's movepool. Sigilyph as an awesome support movepool with options like Psycho Shift, Cosmic Power, both screens, and so many more options. Though it's ugly as sin and will therefore, never replace my blobby teddy cutie luvly you just wanna sleep with this thing like a toy teddy bear Reuniclus....... what was I talking about?........ oh yea Reuniclus. It's a cutie luvly the toy I got from the fair and will never let go of sleep on in the middle of the night hugzy all the time forever the most cutest thing in existence *SMACK* "OW what was that for!?!?!?" "Your talking about Sigilyph you idiot!" "......oh oh yea." Sigilyph still has more support options that you could ever want in a pokemon and should be an option on any team. Just to prove it.

Sigilyph@Flame Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Nature: Bold
Ev: 252 Hp, 252 Def
Moves:
~ Assist Power / Psycho Shock
~ Psycho Shift
~ Cosmic Power
~ Roost
Physical sweepers beware. While Sigilyph's typing leaves something to be desired it can take Physical attacks quite well. It's also fast enough so that something cant just switch in on it like Reuniclus and force it out. Lez imagine a scenario. This Sigilyph manages to come in and is ready to set up a Cosmic Power. A Scarftar comes in threatening a Crunch. Adamant 252 Scarftar Crunch deals 47.1 - 55.7% to 252/252 +1 Bold Sigilyph. It could take the hit burn it roost off the damage and set up on that thing all day long. As I said earlier some things cant even come in on Sigilyph. A primary example of something that could come in on Reuniclus that cant come in on Sigilyph is CBtar because, while it is fast enough to outspeed Reuniclus it's not fast enough to outspeed Sigilyph. It would be crippled before it could even do anything. A good advantage over Reuniclus.

Assist Power is much better than Psychic on that thing. Nothing like racking up 6 cosmic powers and then just KOing everything after their TTar/Scrafty is gone.

I actually kinda ninja'd you by editing before you posted lol. I figured that which is why I switched it in the end. I also slashed it with Psycho Shock.

Take the virizion fucking off. That guy is so common its so not underatted ever before shrang posted and popularized that CM set with taunt and sub set.
On drudiggon my fave set is :

252 Atk/252 HP/6 SpD
Life Orb
Sucker Punch
Fire Fang
Dragon Claw/Outrage
Earthquake/Superpower/Crunch/Toxic/Taunt

Attempting to use sucker punch to nulify its speed, crimgan is one of the best sucker punch user able to beat some threats in the metagame such as unsuspecting Latios with sucker punch which 2HKO and abling it to beat weakened latios. Dragon Claw and Outrage is the same power - change move argument and is mandatory for its STAB. Fire Fang is a must. it OHKO nattrei and maim things that dont resist it especialy backed with double LO boost and 120 base attack. The last move slot is very wide. Earthquake is to give perfect neutral coverage and more spammable. Superpower can replace Earthquake to OHKO some notable dark and rock Type. Crunch while seems stupid with sucker punch is your best bet for Rankurusu. Toxic is to beat bulky pokemon that shut down crimgan such as hippowdon. Finally Taunt can be used to prevent some move on slower(and sometime faster) pokemon.

OC :
Thunder Fang can be used to handle water type. Glare can be used for paralyze support. Pursuit can be used to trap pokemon that you predicted to switch out.

Calcs

Fire Fang to nattrei
85.3% - 100.9% x 130 %(always OHKO)

Gyro Ball from natts
27.6% - 32.5%

Crunch to ranky
49.4% - 58.1% x 130 % (2HKO)

Unboosted Psychic
39% - 46.3%
(OMG he actualy BEAT rankurusu !!!!)

Latios Get sucker punched
93.4% - 110.6% (OHKO with SR)

Virizion Ice HP LO + 1 ful SpA timid
77.3% - 91.4%

Fire Fang to full Hp full defense Bold
44% - 52.3% x 130 % (always 2HKO)
Uninvested full HP
64.8% - 76.7% x 30 % (nearly OHKO)
Sucker Punch
19.9% - 23.6% (small chance to survive thsi combo)

Tarakion Close Combat with LO
85% - 100.3%
Superpower from crim
120.2% - 141.5%
EQ
99.5% - 117.6%

Crustle, knew there was another one I had forgotten. I see it in a fair few matches, but man is it irritating if I dont have a taunt lead. Is it pure setup? Is it a serup sweeper? Is it just a sweeper? I have no idea. Its such a serprisingly versatile pokemon.

Scolipede is one of my favorite lead pokemon. Its very fast, it can setup both spikes, and can inflict a good amount of damage. It can outrun and OHKO Latios with megahorn, and can use rock slide on fire or flying types, such a good pokemon.

Gardevoir shouldnt be underestimated either in this gen. Scarf +trace= sweeper killer (excadrill, lol). And has alot of special defense, enough to servive at least a two turns agaisnt a special sweeper.

And Virizion, not underrated, I see that gazelle alot, both in PO and in discusions.

I think almost all pokemon this gen can be threatening in its own way. GF did a god job of making alot of the new pokemon useful.

I raYeah focus blast on dory. But with that "i need scarf to beat dory" thing i really hate using gardevoir.

I raYeah focus blast on dory. But with that "i need scarf to beat dory" thing i really hate using gardevoir.
Excadrill has a higher base Speed than Gardevoir, but most of them seem to run Adamant, which means it can be outsped by Timid Gardevoir.

it seems like people are really underestimating the power of the new legendary trio(terrakion and the others),but they have respectable bulk,can setup and run through unprepared teams...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)