Gen 3 MS' ADV Wonderland: A UPL IV Showcase

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Hello everyone! It’s been so long hasn’t it?
Well maybe not… but for me it feels like it has been. ADV is that dream you can’t seem to forget, the one that sticks with you in the back of your head for the rest of the day. Within that dream, team diversity is abundant, yet there exists an immense stability; a tier where the battle can be a close race for its entirety that leaves you hanging onto the edge for as long as possible. The experience is a wonderful dance lead by Lati, Kyogre, and Groudon, with Pokemon from all three generations cutting in. With a good opponent you lose yourself as the dance goes on. There’s nothing to fear, but that pressure is surrounding; so many eyes are on you. You can’t help but want to represent the tier you love in the best possible ways.

Twice now I’ve prepared for ADV Ubers on its largest stage and twice found myself rediscovering such a beautiful tier. The journey down the rabbit hole began by selecting underdeveloped and / or interesting concepts that I knew I wanted to showcase. It was down here that these builds were examined, tested, discussed, and altered until I had a diverse group of teams that I was ready to bring back to the surface. In the end only five of these teams saw the light, but it’s time the rest of them climbed out of the darkness to join them. Putting the pieces of this labor all back together again represents a look into the fourteen builds I prepared for UPL IV. Naturally it’s hard to find both originality and effectiveness in a tier that is over a decade old, but in the end all it took was a little love.​

Musical Basis:
Invasion Offense (Invasion | Savant)
Southern Sun Bulky Offense (Olas | Javier Rojas)
Operation Doomsday Hyper Offense (I Hear Voices | MF DOOM)
Oceania Rain Hyper Offense (Δυό Νύχτες Μόνο | Πασχάλης Τερζής)
Takeshi's Castle Sun Offense (Ikana Castle | Koji Kondo)
UPL IV Weather Control Bulky Offense (Aimin At Your Head | Pretty Lights)
Venomous Villain Spikes Hyper Offense (Pop Quiz | Viktor Vaughn)
King of Wobb Physical Offense (Heaterz | Wu-Tang Clan)
Double Weather Wish Mence Semi-Stall (Cipher Syndicate Theme | Tsukasa Tawada)
Vaudeville Villain Spikes Hyper Offense (Change The Beat | Viktor Vaughn)
Thunderclout Hyper Offense (Thunderclout | Savant)
Dark Dreamer Hyper Offense (Jhoto Boss Remix v.II | GlitchCity)
Damp Metal Stall (Dark Crystal | GlitchCity)
Poisonous Sun Stall (Black and White Relic Castle Remix | GlitchCity)

Without further adieu here are the teams. Enjoy!

Latios @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 156 HP / 252 SpA / 100 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Thunder

Kyogre @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder Wave
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Surf

Omastar @ Mystic Water
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 40 Def / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
- Toxic
- Spikes
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump

Regice @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 136 HP / 120 Atk / 252 SpA
Sassy Nature
- Psych Up
- Explosion
- Thunder
- Ice Beam

Steelix @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Explosion

Deoxys-Attack @ Petaya Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
IVs: 30 HP
- Substitute
- Superpower
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
One of the first builds I prepared for UPL IV and the one I used for week 3 was a rain offense built around Substitute + Petaya Deoxys-A, one of the most potent threats in ADV that I felt wasn't fully developed. There aren't a huge number of Pokmeon that confidently check this set, although one that does is Shedinja, which I immediately rectified with a Spikes + Toxic Omastar as rain offenses can tend to struggle against Shedinja to begin with. The choice of Omastar as the Spikes setter was because nothing viable in ADV can afford to spin on it, while Omastar makes a good win condition in itself and alleviates potential weakness to opposing Deoxys-A. Mystic Water was chosen as the held item due to calculations against Pokemon such as Mewtwo and Lugia. This team heavily relies on rain support, so a more defensive Kyogre spread was chosen for longevity with Thunder to help check opposing Kyogre. CB Steelix functions as the Toxic immunity, Electric immunity, primary Normal-type resist, and primary Flying-type resist for the team. Regice was also chosen to offer defensive utility in being the primary Lati check and special sponge. The spread is designed to maximize special bulk without sacrificing the power of Ice Beam or Explosion, the later of which OHKOs standard Latios and nearly KOs Blissey. Overall the build is especially hostile to teams that lack strong counterplay to Thunder use and has several methods to dispose of standardized sun arrangements.

Latios @ Soul Dew
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Groudon @ Leftovers
Ability: Drought
EVs: 224 HP / 252 SpD / 32 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Thunder Wave
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

Ho-Oh @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Double-Edge

Blissey @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Toxic
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss

Aerodactyl @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Double-Edge
- Rock Slide

Exeggutor @ Leftovers
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 116 Atk / 252 SpA / 140 Spe
Rash Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Stun Spore
- Solar Beam
- Explosion
Another Pokemon that I felt was rather underdeveloped was Exeggutor, so early on I started to prepare a Bulky Offense sun team that featured it. My idea for the squad was that Exeggutor would help ease the matchup against opposing sun teams and against rain, at worst, trade with something via powder or Explosion. The 140 Speed was to outspeed Mewtwo, Aerodactyl, Salac Groudon, and Raikou, while the remaining EVs went into maximizing Solar Beam damage and then dumping the leftovers into Attack for Explosion use. The idea with double powder was to force something to sleep, then paralyze the next thing that gets sent in on the switch. Unfortunately in practice against a good rain team this is usually nothing more than a minor annoyance, although getting a paralysis on a certain Pokemon can sometimes make a clean possible for Groudon or Ho-Oh.

The Groudon set is a high SpD invested paradancer so that it can tank certain special attacks, such as a Latios Ice Beam if needed in an emergency. CB Ho-Oh also functions as a potential wall breaker and for this squad runs a combination of Hidden Power Flying and Double-Edge in lieu of Earthquake. Toxic Toss Blissey felt necessary for the build even after looking at variants with Snorlax instead, mainly because of how the team matched up against Kyogre. Being able to take a stray T Wave and Toxic off of Latios and Groudon respectively was also handy. The final slot went to Aerodactyl, leaving the team with a Normal- and Flying-type resist yet without a Steel-type. This was ultimately because the team had Blissey as a status sponge for Toxic and because more coverage for opposing Ho-Oh was desired. Even after all the testing and altercations this team underwent it still has flaws, pretty much all of which I attribute to Exeggutor, but in the right matchup this team has proven to be highly effective.

Lugia @ Choice Band
EVs: 108 HP / 252 Atk / 148 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Whirlwind
- Shadow Ball
- Earthquake
- Aeroblast

Groudon @ Salac Berry
EVs: 156 HP / 248 Atk / 104 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Ghost]
- Earthquake

Kyogre @ Leftovers
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Def / 32 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Surf

Latios @ Soul Dew
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Thunder

Magneton @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 24 Spe
Modest Nature
- Toxic
- Metal Sound
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunder

Deoxys-Attack @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Ball
- Superpower
- Double-Edge
This team was a strong contender for what I would bring finals week as it melds old school techs and modern developments into a fast and dangerous product. The squad originated as two separate offense concepts I was finishing up right before UPL IV started, but ended up working well together so I made them into a single team. The idea of the squad is an offensive core of Magneton with two CB users: Deoxys-A and Lugia. This is supported by double weather and the incredible mixed utility Groudon and Kyogre have to offer. A lot of ADV teams in the months before, during, and still after UPL utilize CB Lugia in ways that don't make the most of its capabilities, usually because it's incorporated on more squads than it really deserves to be on and as a result finds its way onto teams that don't give it proper offensive support. Most CB Lugia checks are Steel- or Rock-types, the first of which are largely eliminated via Magneton and the second of which are giving Groudon and Kyogre a lot of freedom. Lugia is not necessarily the win condition here, but this synergy is in place so that it can actually tear holes rather than be limited to chipping at Groudon, defensive Kyogre, Steels, and Rocks with Aeroblast. Whirlwind was a move I discussed with Melee Mewtwo due to the last slot on CB Lugia being a generally useless toss up. In one of the original incarnations Thunder was utilized to strike down Skarmory, but Magneton later invalidated this. The justification behind Whirlwind was to reveal opposing Pokemon early and so that there was some insurance if a player tried to cheese me with Baton Pass or some odd setup Pokemon.

Since this is double weather the Magneton set uses Thunder and HP Fire, giving a strong method to dispose of Steel-types regardless of rain or sun. Toxic is used mainly for Groudon switch-ins, but is also useful against non Refresh Lati. The bulky Kyogre set is for longevity, additional insurance against Groudon and Rayquaza, and so that Salac Groudon doesn't have to sponge as many hits. Thunder is used so that the team has more options for Kyogre checks. The team is rather effective at chipping opposing Kyogre, can eliminate Skarmory, and pressures opposing Lugia / Ho-Oh / Rayquaza well, making Salac Groudon an excellent win condition for this squad. For these reasons, I consider this to be the second most dangerous team here and one deserving of the title: Operation Doomsday.

Latios @ Soul Dew
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Thunder

Kyogre @ Leftovers
EVs: 180 HP / 252 SpA / 76 Spe
Modest Nature
- Toxic
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Hydro Pump

Latias @ Soul Dew
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Refresh
- Recover
- Dragon Claw

Snorlax @ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 244 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Punch
- Body Slam
- Self-Destruct

Steelix @ Choice Band
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Toxic
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Explosion

Mewtwo @ Lum Berry
Mild Nature
- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Self-Destruct
With sun double Lati builds being a prevalent force in ADV Ubers, this build was an exploration into doing a double Lati rain offense. The first version of this team also included an idea I was working on with Melee Mewtwo before UPL started, which was a Substitute + Salac Berry Kyogre. The concept was to have an offensive Kyogre set that could put Lati into a really uncomfortable position and then subsequently clean up afterwards. This Salac Kyogre idea ended up getting scrapped but was later added to a new build where it felt more appropriate, leaving just the concept of double Lati on rain offense. Incorporating Dragon Dance Latios was an idea I strongly considered for this team, although I decided that it wasn't necessary, leaving the build at a standard offensive Kyogre with two CM Lati.

The next two spots went to Steelix and Snorlax, providing some powerhouses on the physical spectrum that can also deal with Thunder rather well. I've become sort of notorious for running CB Steelix on rain offenses, and this is largely due to the fact that it's the best way to get an Electric immunity on these teams as Groudon makes it dual weather and Swampert or Flygon just don't fit well. The Steel-type for this build arrangement is necessary and ensures a Toxic immunity, a Normal-type resist, and a Flying-type resist. The details of the Snorlax and Steelix sets are the use of Focus Punch and Toxic respectively, where Toxic on Steelix is to eliminate Groudon and Ho-Oh Leftovers gain; the core members of most sun teams. The final slot was tricky to determine, but a mixed CM Mewtwo ended up being a good fit as it is most threatening under rain. This brings the total of boom users on this team to three, ideally opening up the opponent for the special powerhouses of Kyogre, Latios, and Latias.

Mewtwo @ Lum Berry
Mild Nature
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Self-Destruct

Groudon @ Leftovers
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 64 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Swords Dance
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

Latios @ Soul Dew
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Refresh
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Ho-Oh @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power Flying
- Double-Edge

Magneton @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Toxic
- Metal Sound
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt

Snorlax @ Leftovers
EVs: 108 HP / 140 Atk / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Rest
- Shadow Ball
- Body Slam
The original idea behind this team was to make a sun offense that utilized a lead Fire Blast four attacks Mewtwo alongside a Regirock. As testing and development of the Takeshi squad progressed Regirock and the original Mewtwo set were cut, leaving a streamlined sun offense with very strong resemblances to the Dragon Sun offense I used in UPL III. Because of it's tried and true nature that also featured elements that leaned more modern when it comes to sun building in ADV, I used this team week 4 and then again in week 5 as the outcome would not affect team standings. The squad took both these weeks, despite a boom shenanigan misplay week 5 in addition to an annoying pseudo mirror matchup that I had the disadvantage in.

The Mewtwo lead is to get some early momentum and get chips or KOs on opposing Pokemon that I'll want gone for Groudon or Ho-Oh. As such, the paradancer Groudon and CB Ho-Oh are the primary workforce of the team when it comes to taking on more defensive squads. The discussion of the Ho-Oh set ended with running both Double-Edge and Hidden Power Flying over Earthquake, the same alternative I went with on the Southern Sun bulky offense. A major reason for this is because this team wants the extra damage output against Kyogre switch-ins, yet wants a good way to smack Blissey with a spamable move without having costly recoil. The Latios set runs Refresh without recover as the status sponge Snorlax cannot switch into the two most common sources of Thunder Wave: Groudon and Kyogre. Magneton is for Steel-type elimination and to offer the hallmarks of Steel-type synergy.

Latios @ Soul Dew
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Refresh
- Ice Beam
- Thunder

Kyogre @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Hydro Pump

Groudon @ Leftovers
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Thunder Wave
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

Snorlax @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Punch
- Body Slam
- Self-Destruct

Registeel @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Atk / 80 Def / 64 SpD
Impish Nature
- Curse
- Hidden Power [Ghost]
- Earthquake
- Explosion

Rayquaza @ Choice Band
Ability: Air Lock
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Earthquake
- Double-Edge
A utilization of CB Rayquaza on a double weather team, this squad hasn't seen very many changes since its initial creation. I recall doing a test match with ZoroarkForever near the start of UPL IV where he used a similar team to this one, but I believe that has since been retired. Choice Band Rayquaza isn't the most scary CB user in ADV Ubers, but it has strong damage output via Double-Edge coupled with a reasonably strong priority move. Defensively, Rayquaza provides the team with extra insurance against weather sweepers, another Ground immunity, and checks most fast and fragile Pokemon thanks to Extreme Speed. Rayquaza also overlaps checks with SD Groudon and CB Snorlax to some extent, which provides an opportunity to overload the opposing team's physically defensive core. Snorlax and Registeel are used as lures to blow things up, primarily Groudon, Kyogre, and Steel-types for Rayquaza. The Curse Registeel EV spread was created by Melee Mewtwo and is built with this in mind, allowing it to avoid the 2HKO from max Attack Groudon Earthquake when at +1 and so that can KO it in return with Explosion. Snorlax runs Focus Punch so that it can lay more damage on Rock- and Steel-type switch-ins for Rayquaza. The lack of a status absorber means that Latios elects to run Refresh instead of Recover, while Kyogre runs Thunder for opposing Kyogre so that Latios isn't pressured as hard. This team has three strong hitters that spread paralysis well, which makes a clean for Rayquaza a bit less reliant on Extreme Speed. The team might want to re-evaluate its use of Registeel and can struggle against a good physically defensive stall, but this is still my favorite team that features Rayquaza.

Deoxys-Speed @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Recover
- Knock Off
- Ice Beam

Kyogre @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Hydro Pump

Latios @ Soul Dew
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Refresh
- Ice Beam
- Thunder

Snorlax @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Focus Punch
- Body Slam
- Self-Destruct

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 148 HP / 108 Atk / 252 SpA
Naughty Nature
- Thunder
- Fire Blast
- Rock Slide
- Focus Punch

Gengar @ Magnet
Hasty Nature
- Thunder
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Explosion
With Deoxys-S leads attaining popularity in the Ubers generations that followed ADV I knew that at least one of the teams I wanted to prep would be a modern take on Deoxys-S offense in ADV. The idea was distilled down to the utilization of Spikes + Knock Off + Sand to wear down Pokemon, since most things in ADV rely on Leftovers for longevity. I started experimenting with mixed offensive Tyranitar sets to see what I could come up with that would not only provide the support I wanted, but be able to pound certain switch-ins. The set I decided on was a mixed attacker that utilized the extents of Tyranitar's crazy movepool. Focus Punch crushed Blissey, a variety of Steels, and the odd Dark-type while the spread also ensures that Rock Slide deals enough damage to Lati. Fire Blast hits the remaining Steels harder and deals solid damage to Groudon. Thunder is almost exclusively for Kyogre, but this was important enough to warrant it. The Gengar addition wasn't the most popular choice with my UPL teammates, and I agree that a Spikes offense doesn't need a spin blocker really, but I stuck with it for its immunities and nuisance factor against certain teams. The set is mixed with Thunder and a Magnet to lay heavy damage on incoming Kyogre and Ho-Oh.

With these three rather uncommon Pokemon in position the rest of the team fell into place quickly. Kyogre is an immense defensive boon for this squad that was also desired for the additional protection against opposing Kyogre, Ho-Oh, and Groudon. Snorlax functions as the primary Lati check and benefits from the residual damage that wears on the opponent via Spikes. The team lacks a way to remove Thunder Wave or to really switch into it, so Latios runs Refresh. The Deoxys-S mainly runs Ice Beam as insurance against Sub Salac Groudon. The final build is a bit distorted in its focus and could potentially see some retouching, but has performed well in testing nonetheless combining a bizarre use of Tyranitar and Deoxys with elements of rain offense.

Slaking @ Choice Band
Ability: Truant
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Return
- Focus Punch
- Double-Edge

Groudon @ Salac Berry
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Ghost]
- Earthquake

Ho-Oh @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Shadow Ball
- Earthquake
- Double-Edge

Latios @ Soul Dew
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Thunder

Regice @ Leftovers
EVs: 136 HP / 120 Atk / 252 SpA
Sassy Nature
- Psych Up
- Explosion
- Thunder
- Ice Beam

Wobbuffet @ Lum Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Safeguard
- Encore
- Counter
- Mirror Coat
This team sought to create a physical offense that made the most of Wobbuffet's limited attributes in ADV. Since a single turn isn't nearly as impactful in ADV Ubers as it is in later generations I knew that Encoring a few Pokemon to maybe get a free turn or two wouldn't be enough to make it worth using. The other potential I saw in Wobbuffet was its ability to eliminate certain Choice Band Pokemon, which is why it runs maximum Defense investment. To start I added a Pokemon that can do quite a bit with a just single turn of setup, which is Salac Groudon. This quickly shifted the build to a variation of physical sun offense, so Choice Band Ho-Oh was the next logical step. I considered running a special Ho-Oh instead, mainly to blast incoming Kyogre with Thunder, but I decided that Double-Edge would be sufficient to pound defensive Kyogre switch-ins for Salac Groudon later on. Instead of Snorlax, Slaking was used for extra power and because the team felt on the slow side. Naturally it took on a lead position and was EVed to outspeed 252 Lati. The team lacked a solid special sponge outside of Ho-Oh, which was largely in an offensive role as well, so Regice was added since Blissey didn't fit well. The set and spread are the same as what was used for Regice on the Invasion offense. The Latios set is noteworthy for its high SpD investment; this was needed because of how the build matches up against Kyogre. This spread allows it to still 2HKO defensive Kyogre that boosts to +1 while being able to tank Ice Beams from maximum Special Attack Kyogre well. Overall the build is still somewhat weak to Kyogre and has trouble against CM spam rain teams, but can do well enough in other matchups.

Latios @ Soul Dew
EVs: 156 HP / 252 SpA / 100 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Thunder

Groudon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Fire Blast
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

Kyogre @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Thunder Wave
- Rest
- Surf

Blissey @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Ice Beam
- Thunder

Metagross @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Atk / 132 SpD / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Toxic
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Meteor Mash

Salamence @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Toxic
- Wish
- Fire Blast
One of the more experimental concepts I was working on ended up being the team I utilized week 1. Originally this was a double Intimidate semi-stall that used Hitmontop as a spinner and Salamence as a Wish passing, Toxic spreading, CB check support Pokemon. Hitmontop ended up getting scrapped and the team focused more on a dynamic of Metagross and Wish Salamence, but maintained the elements of Toxic spreading and semi-stall. The build ended up turing out much better than my original expectations with Metagross and Salamence having a lot of synergy between them. Salamence is able to check CB Pokemon very well thanks to Intimidate and high investment on natural bulk, and can pivot Wishes to Metagross and Kyogre effectively. The three Pokemon that run Toxic on this team are all threatening to Steel-types, ensuring that the spread of poison can go on. A Calm Mind Blissey is utilized because the team needs a powerful answer to CM Kyogre and mono Lati. The Kyogre set is a bit strange as it foregoes using Ice Beam and opts with Rest instead. With Blissey unable to fulfill clerical duties this allows Kyogre to remove Toxic from itself and gives it added stall breaking potential against passive teams. In the end I felt the team was an interesting twist on dual weather stall and was happy that I got to use a paring of Metagross and Salamence that fell into place as well as it did.

Deoxys-Speed @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Knock Off
- Fire Punch
- Ice Beam

Kyogre @ Salac Berry
EVs: 156 HP / 248 SpA / 104 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump

Latios @ Soul Dew
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Refresh
- Ice Beam
- Thunder

Snorlax @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Earthquake
- Body Slam
- Self-Destruct

Groudon @ Leftovers
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Thunder Wave
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

Aerodactyl @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Hidden Power [Ghost]
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Double-Edge
As the Venomous Villain Spikes hyper offense developed, another build splintered off of it that sought to eliminate problems associated with utilizing Gengar and Tyranitar on a Deoxys-S offense. The result was a Spikes offense that features Aerodactyl in the best possible way; on a team that is extremely hostile towards Groudon and Kyogre. Deoxys-S is a brutal lead to have to face in a variety of match ups, and this is largely attributed to Knock Off. Lati leads lose Soul Dew by staying, while CB leads lose their potency. Defensive Pokemon that switch in lose Leftovers, often their primary form of recovery. The spread is used to outspeed all unboosted threats, tank neutered CB Pokemon attacks well, and lay on solid damage with Ice Beam and Fire Punch. The team does not utilize a spin blocker, but rather ensures that nothing can get a good shot at spinning, hence Fire Punch on Deoxys-S.

This is the team that I felt was more justified in using the Salac Kyogre set I was developing with Melee Mewtwo, although a Rest CM set or bulkier Sub set has it's merits as well. Overall the team has some solid firepower from both the physical and special side, while using double weather to help keep opposing weather-favoring teams in line. A point of interest is that the team does not have a Toxic immunity that can also crush Blissey, leaving the team somewhat annoyed by Toxic Toss Blissey variants. This problem arises from the fact that the team does not have the room to run a Steel-type. Melee Mewtwo and Dice have continually voiced this concern, and you can see its ramifications in my week 2 battle against SoulWind, although ultimately that loss was due to a single turn misplay with Deoxys rather than that being a major fault in the build. One option to help alleviate this is by running a Kyogre set that is able to handle this Blissey set easily, although this comes at other costs. This small point aside, I've found this to be perhaps the most potent Deoxys-S offense in ADV at the moment.

Mewtwo @ Lum Berry
Mild Nature
- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Self-Destruct

Kyogre @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Surf

Latios @ Soul Dew
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Thunder

Snorlax @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Earthquake
- Return
- Self-Destruct

Steelix @ Choice Band
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Toxic
- Double-Edge
- Earthquake
- Explosion

Raikou @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunder
A couple weeks into UPL IV Hack brought a Raikou squad in one of our test matches that he was working on at the time. I had never built with Raikou in a way where it felt justified, but after talking with some teammates I decided to create a team that featured it. What made Raikou appealing was that at maximum Speed it manages to outspeed standard Mewtwo and Aerodactyl sets, which along with its Flying- and Electric-type resistances made it somewhat interesting. A Substitute CM set with Thunder would be needed so that it had sufficient damage output, locking the team into a rain offense from the beginning. It was obvious Raikou was going to struggle with common Pokemon such as Lati, Blissey, and SpD Groudon, so the plan was for it to attain a surprise late-game clean once these threats were sufficiently damaged or eliminated. Since Raikou needs rain to properly clean, Kyogre was given a defensive spread for longevity. To help dispose of Pokemon such as Lati and Blissey, the team included three boom users, one being CM Mewtwo, which would potentially force a trade with an opposing Blissey. Snorlax + Steelix were used as offensive checks to Lati and so that the team had resistances against Normal- and Flying-types along with a Ghost-type immunity. The Steelix set makes use of Toxic to wear on defensive Groudon sets that threaten Raikou while Snorlax uses Return to get higher chip on Groudon and targets neutral to Thunder. The most important parts of playing this team are getting worthwhile trades via boom, along with keeping Kyogre healthy and Raikou hidden for as long as possible. The powerful Thunder spam coming from Latios, Kyogre, Mewtwo, and Raikou can be a challenge to teams that rely on a singular special sponge or those that rely heavily on sun support to deter its use.

Latios @ Soul Dew
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Thunder

Kyogre @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Rest
- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam
- Surf

Groudon @ Salac Berry
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Wish
- Mean Look
- Baton Pass

Metagross @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Meteor Mash
- Explosion

Deoxys-Attack @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Ball
- Superpower
- Double-Edge
For UPL III I prepared two Umbreon teams, one featuring a Wish support Pursuit set on stall and the other utilizing Mean Look. Ultimately these teams went unused and I shelved them after Umbreon use waned following the major developments that occurred in ADV Ubers post PS! and UPL support so the pieces were quietly buried... or so we thought. I didn't really follow much of Shrang's ADV forum tour, but there was something I did catch; in one of the final matches shadowquinn brought Baton Pass. This won him the tour and happened right after the same team was already used against SoulWind in week 3 of UPL IV, which meant that there was a BP team being passed around and that it was being brought to serious matches. The team in question looked like it could use some development, especially when it ran Rock Slide Deoxys-A, this awkward Jirachi set, and didn't fully utilize the power of Baton Pass trapping. For this reason I wanted to know what an optimized version would look like and how broken it would be so I set off into the darkness that is Baton Pass and wasn't coming out until I found what I was looking for.

The finalized build I came up with has many elements in common with Operation Doomsday; a double weather offense that finds room for a trapper and Deoxys-A. The major difference is the use of Umbreon as the trapper, which has substantial bulk to set Mean Look easily, has Taunt to render phazing moves unusable, and can proceed to pivot into an offensive Pokemon with a favorable matchup. This alters the remaining structure slightly because the team still needs to fit an offensive Steel, which ends up falling on Metagross to Pursuit trap opposing Deoxys-A and Shedinja, the later of which can actually annoy Umbreon. The team makes use of the two most threatening physical attackers in the game and the two most threatening special attackers in the game, three-quarters of which run setup moves. The result was the most dangerous team I prepared during UPL IV, which I had no intention of using and only built out of a morbid curiosity to understand just how far the rabbit hole goes. Never in my darkest of dreams would I have expected to see BP used by the opposing side in a UPL final. We put all the pieces back together again, now let's bury it.

Kyogre @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Toxic
- Ice Beam
- Surf

Latias @ Soul Dew
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Refresh
- Recover
- Dragon Claw

Magneton @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Toxic
- Metal Sound
- Thunder

Blissey @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Ice Beam
- Thunder

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 24 Atk / 232 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Hidden Power [Ghost]
- Explosion

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Toxic
- Roar
- Hidden Power [Ghost]
- Earthquake
Some players might recognize this team as the stall squad I used in my finals match against Transcendent God Champion. I decided on using this team for finals after witnessing its effectiveness in matches against Fireburn, Melee Mewtwo, Hack, and WreckDra. The original spark for the build was to do a rain stall that featured a pairing of Magneton and Latias as its stall breakers. The justification behind this is that most mono CM Lati checks can be removed or beaten with a Toxic + Metal Sound Magneton. Calm Mind Blissey and Forretress fill utility roles for the team, providing a solid check to Kyogre, opposing Lati, and certain Spike setters. While several ADV players like to rip on Swampert, the final slot utilizes it very well as a Thunder immunity, Mewtwo check, backup Deoxys-A check, and as a Toxic user that can crush most Steel-types. The team uses Protect on Kyogre and Magneton which serves three purposes; to increase Toxic damage, to farm Leftovers recovery, and to make playing around CB users easy. Overall the team has proven itself as an incredibly strong rain stall, often forcing opponents to resort to cheese strategies in order to make significant headway.

Groudon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Fire Blast
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

Kyogre @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Toxic
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Surf

Ho-Oh @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 Spe
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Recover
- Sacred Fire

Blissey @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Ice Beam
- Thunder

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Explosion

Latias @ Soul Dew
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Refresh
- Recover
- Dragon Claw
This team was my take on traditional sun stall in ADV Ubers. The build focuses on spreading Toxic via Pokemon that crush anything with a Toxic immunity, ultimately clearing a way for Latias, Kyogre, or Groudon. The three Toxic users are Groudon, Kyogre, and Ho-Oh, all of which have defensive spreads for longevity and options for eliminating Steel-types. The Ho-Oh set is able to defeat virtually any Blissey set thanks to Substitute and Toxic, which either forces Blissey out to active Natural Cure or burns Heal Bell PP. Calm Mind Blissey is used as the team needs a solid check to CM Kyogre and mono CM Lati. Forretress is to ensure that the opponent cannot gain a significant hazard advantage that would wear on Blissey, Groudon, and Kyogre too much while earthquake is run so that Magneton cannot easily dispose of it. The advantage of Kyogre on this variation of sun stall is that it provides additional options against some big threats such as Groudon and Ho-Oh while it is also able to nullify teams that reap the benefits of sun.

Drizzlers:

Melee Mewtwo: If Ubers was the Fire Nation you would be Iroh. Thank you for picking me up in UPL III, helping me test builds and giving me someone to throw ideas off of. Your thoughts on smogon culture, Pokemon, and game theory are enlightening.

Fireburn : Well you weren't actually on our team but you’re frequently in chat and testing ADV squads with you was very helpful. Thanks for introducing me to Reborn; it feels like a game that was custom made for me and it gave me the confidence that in-game Pokemon can still be fun.

Nayrz : You led our team to the highest win rate of UPL and did an amazing draft that got it all rolling. Thanks for being someone that stays on top of C&C for Ubers and puts up with all the crap in the viability thread.

dice : My problem with big words is that they make it harder to get a point across. Also ambiguity does not equate to depth. But seriously thanks for recommending Cowboy Bebop, it’s a really good series. And for the last time I don't like weiner.

Hack : Thanks for the ADV test matches and inspiring the Raikou build featured here. It would be cool to see you play ADV in UPL but I’m not so sure that will ever happen since managers probably want to slot you to newer gens.

BKC : The first battle I ever saw was Marriland vs. Untouchable.

WreckDra : I think we did like a dozen test matches with the damp metal stall I brought to the finals game. We weren’t really planning to get you on the team but it was worthwhile having you on the roster nonetheless.

Evuelf : Congrats on having the best record of the whole tour.

Jirachee : You’re a consistent DPP player and an interesting person to have on the team. Thanks for being so prompt when it came to helping me manage my ADV Ubers tournament last year.

Dilwar : Who? Just kidding.

benbe : Well you got an unfortunate pairing in R1 this seasonal but you’ve still got a shot at making playoffs.

Tricking : Wish you had been more active, I think you’re a pretty solid player and hope you make it to seasonals playoffs.

The Trap God : When Nayrz asked for my opinions on cheap but effective ORAS picks you were one of the players I recommended. Congrats on having a pretty strong record for your first UPL.

Dominatio : So far you’re the only tutee I’ve had that wanted to learn ADV Ubers. I think you asked me several times about my thought process when it comes to building in this tier so hopefully this thread made a lot of that clear.

Freeroamer : Also wish you didn’t drop off a cliff when it comes to activity. Good luck with your apprenticeship. I always say quitting Pokemon is a metagame trend so maybe you’ll be back eventually.

Forums:

Jibaku : You’re probably one of the users I respect the most on this site. I’d attribute that to your long experience in Ubers, views on tiering policy, and involvement with VGC and Battle Spot. I remember doing a lot of test matches with you back in early ORAS when you were working on balance builds in the Mega Rayquaza metagame. Late congrats on your Ubers success in SPL and being so casual about it.

Lord Outrage : I think you have the potential to be a great player, but only if you develop your winning mentality and drop the ego. Thank you for the feedback when I started team rating and also for revamping an important resource like sample teams. Also my taste in hip hop is better, Viktor Vaughn, Rakim, GZA, and Oskar Mike are unmatched at what they do.

Mr.378 : We don’t really talk that much, but like Jibaku I have a lot of respect for the fact that you’ve been playing competitive for so long. I think you did a pretty good job managing this year and had a lot of talent on your team, things just didn’t really work out.

Blue Jay : Super nice user and C&C inspiration. Come back from the dead please.

Transcendent God Champion : I might wish you 'good luck' in regards to your writing endeavors, however 'luck' is merely an illusory essentialization of statistics, and is neither inherently good nor bad.

Edgar : I think awhile back you really disliked me but maybe that’s all gone by now.

Kebabe : I admire your strong Ubers playing and your mistrust of authority.

jackm : You haven’t been around Ubers in a long time but I’ve stumbled upon some of your old posts from the BW era and found them really interesting.

Krauersaut : Despite being such a whiny, moody, attention-seeking user I'm still looking out for you, even if you might not think so.

steelphoenix : You probably have already, but check out Justice, Hippie Sabotage, Birdy Nam Nam, Feed Me, Sebastien Tellier, Gramatik, Parov Stelar, and Savant’s Thunderclout.

IronBullet : Thank you for all the opportunities that helped me grow as a user.

Fixed : Probably a zero percent chance you’re reading this but I’ll just say it was fun running into you multiple times at the top of the PO Ubers ladder two years ago. I also appreciated your posts in the Shadow Tag suspects.

Starmei : Don't sass me, your opinion =/= fact :O

ApplepieFTW : You'll probably be back sometime.

Thugly Duckling : Not sure why you joined and then dropped out of seasonals, you had a chance to make playoffs.

Piexplode: What happened to you? You were one of the most active users when I first joined Smogon.

P Squared + The Dutch Plumberjack + Snobalt : Thank you for putting up with my atrocious spelling and GP checking those disgusting 5 set analyses. You’ve been really committed to GP checking Ubers analyses for awhile now so thank you.

Ubers Room Staff and Regulars:

shrang : You’re one of the easiest staff to talk to and a major component of why the room culture is what it is (this is a good thing btw). Your use of showimage, lower patience for clown fiesta users, knowledge of RLM, and use of horses is very amusing. Please stick around well into your forties and continue to foster new users.

Sweep : Drunk laddering and joke promotes aside thanks for all the forum and C&C support you’ve given me over the last couple years.

Aurora : You’re an interesting person and fun to talk to. We should like co-write a romance novel just for giggles.

Iris : Well your coup d'état of the Ubers room was successful despite only taking like a year. My offer to teach you ADV in exchange for DPP still stands btw.

PoMMan : I think I already told you this, but I never saw your name as pornman until the Ubers room spammed it over and over and over again.

Aqua’s Swirlix: We don’t talk much, but you’re always there. Like a watchful protector.

Blim : I think you’re the author of some of my favorite Smogon quotes. We could use more players that are not only skilled, but also levelheaded and modest.

DracoMaster Dab : Guess you’ve become kinda inactive. Maybe stop by more?

Haruno : lol our dynamic sure has evolved over the years. Maybe I’ll meet you in SF at some VGC event someday.

haxiom : You moderate RMT, which means you have constant interaction with the newest of Smogon users so props for that. Thank you for helping me develop my team rating and being involved with the staff RMTs.

James Jimmy : Your appreciation for booze and Greek music is enough to make us friends.

Level 56 : I’ve been impressed with your consistent tour performance for like the past couple years. Annoying you had to fight Hack in round 1 of seasonals this time around but his weird techs didn’t seem to phase you at all.

orch : You should probs just write the Whimsicott analysis yourself, I don’t think anyone else has quite the passion for the mon that you do.

Pohjis : I'd say you're part of that new wave of ORAS players that are taking high seeds in the seasonals rankings. You might be lucky but you also know what you’re doing.

polop : I sorta looked up to your C&C work when I first joined the site. Turns out I didn’t become competent until you returned from the long hiatus.

soviet : Go green \//\

SparksBlade : Wrong is sometimes right. In is often out. And sometimes up may be the only way down.

ZoroarkForever : Thanks for investing in ADV Ubers, representing old gens, and representing Ubers players outside of the tier. You’re a good player and I hope you make seasonals playoffs.

Antacool : Your use of Mega Steelix and Solrock is questionable, but then again I ladder with coffee tables so…

canman98 : Come back and write analyses when gen 7 comes out okay?

Crestfall : Tell me about some of your weirdest experiences being an RP RO sometime.

hyw : I’ve found some of the things you’ve said to me really disgusting and offensive, but I think you’re joking (I hope?). Anyways you're a pretty active user even if you do shitpost a lot so it was only fair to mention you.

Optic Gaga: For the last time, it is my God given right and protected under the second amendment to operate a flamethrower that is capable of shooting over 50 feet.

Peli : Wow I actually remember back when you had a Pelipper avy and everything, tho I guess that wasn’t that long ago.

ShadowQuinn : I also consider you part of that new wave of ORAS players. Thank you for your interest in ADV.

Theorymon : Thanks for helping me build some VGC 2016 squads, launching Ubers multi gen, and being an all around dedicated Pokemon nerd.

Vileman : Strange you use Daft Punk avys but I’ve never heard you talk about them.

0kay : If I had to rate you as I user I’d say you’re… Decent. Anyways get back to that Reborn play through, you won’t regret it.

Arii Stella : We haven't had much direction interaction but maybe sometime in the future.

absdaddy : Are you still using that Explosion Smeargle and BP Celebi team?

Astounded : We haven’t really ever talked but I think we’re cool.

Chubby Penguins: I probably won’t ever lose respect for your ability to dismantle the ladder.

darrell1297 : You play reborn so that makes you fun to talk to already.

Jhonx~ : Thanks for being an active tutee and willing to try lots of new things.

Joryn : Quitting Pokemon is a metagame trend. You of all people should know this Joryn.

ogasian : So what exactly is a Facepalm’s Plot anyways? Actually nvm that sounds like something sexual.

Lacus Clyne : Congrats on your last seasonals win. Hit me up if you ever want to work on cool forum projects.

Muk : I have to admit that the best MCs are probably Vanilla Ice, Shaq, and Will Smith.

magsyy : You have so much to learn about girls… Please don't do anything stupid like getting yourself arrested over some silly drama.

Mr. Perry : You were my first tutee and pretty active (and still are) so thanks for that.

shrop05 : Come back to the Ubers room, but only if you cut down on posting 2D girls.

If I missed anyone I promise it probably wasn't intentional. We can still be friends

~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)