Musharna is DANK (Peaked #1)

MMF

Give me the strength to part this sea
Credit to user:Keiran for the awesome banner

INTRODUCTION

What’s up dudes and dudettes? My name is MMF and I’m here to present my favorite NU team of all time!! It has peaked #1 on the Smogon ladder under the alt _Death_(not related to ShakeItUp’s alt) and has stayed in the top 10 consistently over the past month and a half. It also helped me get to the semi-finals of the NU mini tourney and smashed Django on a daily basis.

Storytime! Alright so I was never an NU player. I usually played OU and never really thought the lower tiers would be any fun. However when RU came into being I really wanted to try out the tier and it was a lot of fun. But then it happened. NU was announced and I was so excited to this brand new tier. And I did! But then irl stuff kept me busy for a while and I couldn’t come back, until I asked for help from NoLuckInvolved who helped me get back into the swing of things. I’m now pretty good at NU I’d say and have met some really cool people along the way. (You guys get shoutouts!) And that’s how this team begins.

So a little about this team before I show off the sets and such. This team started out as NoLuckInvolved’s brain child and then we started working on the team together. Originally this team was built around the idea of a TR Duosion and BU Gurdurr core, but TR Duosion just wasn’t bringing enough to the team so it was eventually replaced with Musharna and Gurdurr with Emboar. We both laddered with the Duosion version and we both peaked at #5 with it. Unfortunately, the team started not working as well and something had to change and that’s where Musharna and company came into play.

I’m deciding to retire this team so I can try to rework it for the new BW2 Metagame so feel free to offer suggestions to help me with that! Now ladies and gentlemen, what you’ve all been waiting for……team Musharna is DANK!

Peak:
Screenshot of my highest peak. Unfortunately I don't have a screenie of my #1 because of flcl -__- http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=29261vq&s=6

In-depth Look!

Probopass (M) @ Air Balloon
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Spatk / 232 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Volt Switch

Air Balloon Probopass is easily one of the best leads I’ve ever used. Not only does it beat Golem 99% of the time but it also sets up the ever vital Stealth Rock and gives me momentum with Volt Switch. Now I must admit I play Probopass like a suicide lead and it shouldn’t be used like that on this team. Probopass is my main bird check and Skuntank check. It takes jack diddly squat from everything except Braviary’s Superpower and can give me momentum with Volt Switch or stay in and beat the birds.

If the opponent doesn’t have any birds I usually sac Probopass after it sets up SR and start going to town on the opposing team. Sturdy also is a failsafe against teams that lead with Gorebyss as I’ll set up SR and then Volt Switch on the Surf and finish it off with Skuntank. Probopass also acts as a good check to Haunter as it beats every set(unless they run HP Ground). These EVs let Probopass outspeed all Golem except for the rare Jolly variants (Zebraiken!)

Honestly Probopass is such a simple pokemon and it does its job very well. I also have a Golem version of this team and it works just as well but lets face it, Probopass is way cooler :P.

Ludicolo (M) @ Leftovers
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 Spatk / 4 Spdef / 252 Spe
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis

This slot used to belong to Sap Sipper Miltank until I realized I was smashed by Rain teams and Gorebyss. So one day I decided to use Ludicolo and haven’t turned back as its probably one of the best rain counters out there and beats most Rain mons bar Mantine. Now I used to use the Tank set’s EVs until I found out that Jolly Samurott was getting popular so I switched to Timid Max Speed and decided to use Max Special Attack as well while still using the Tank set’s moves.

It turned out to be a good decision as Ludicolo is an amazing mon and gets at least 1-2 KOs per game. It stops Gorebyss from steamrolling me and also keeps most water types at bay with the threat of STAB Giga Drain. Surf beats things like Emboar, Camerupt, Golem, etc and is also a pretty strong attack in general. Ice Beam lets it beat Altaria and hurt Amoonguss and Vileplume who otherwise are pains to take down. Synthesis is there to give me reliable recovery so I can wall Rain teams and Water types for longer.

These Speed EVs let me outspeed Jolly Samurott and hit with Giga Drain for around 85% or so and Max Special Attack is for more power.

Shelgon (M) @Eviolite
Impish Nature (+Def, -Spatk)
Trait: Rock Head
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 30 Spe
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Shelgon is probably the least useful Pokemon on this team but the niche it fills is one that I desperately need. Shelgon serves as my physical wall and helps my team with fending off Emboar, Tauros, Kangaskhan, and other powerful physical attackers. The one thing that sets Shelgon apart from other walls is that he has the ability to sweep at any time with Dragon Dance and Dragon Claw. I use Dragon Claw over Outrage because I liked being able to hit Cryogonal switch ins without being locked into a move.

Now this all sounds great MMF! So why is Shelgon the least useful? Because Sleep Talk is the most unreliable move in the world that’s why. Having to rely on a move to randomly pick your moves for you is awful and very rarely works out well. Unfortunately that’s the only way Shelgon can help break stall and beat status mons and I haven’t found a better replacement that does what he does for my team.

The EVs give Shelgon an odd HP number giving him for switch ins with hazards on the field. The Defense hits something that I can’t remember and the leftovers were thrown into Speed to buffer Shelgon’s terrible speed.

Emboar (M) @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -Spatk)
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Head Smash
- Wild Charge

Emboar is one of the best Pokemon in NU right now and for good reason. It’s incredibly strong with a Choice Band and is very bulky even without investment. Emboar was added on this team because at the time I lacked any Pokemon with any immediate power and boy did Emboar provide that.

Flare Blitz is a stupidly powerful attack and is great for taking down Amoonguss, Vileplume, and basically anything that doesn’t resist Fire as
Flare Blitz hits that hard. Superpower is excellent for catching Regirocks and Golems as they switch in expecting to tank a Flare Blitz only to get donked by a CB Superpower. Head Smash lets me donk Altaria who would otherwise “wall” Emboar and Wild Charge is basically filler as I never use it.

Adamant Nature, Choice Band, and Max Attack lets Emboar hit as hard as possible and smash through most teams just by itself. The Speed EVs really don’t do anything notable (or at least nothing I can remember) and I just liked to outspeed whatever I could. Also I was too lazy to change to a bulkier spread and this did the job so it stayed.

Skuntank (M) @Leftovers
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -Spatk)
Trait: Aftermath
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe
- Crunch
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt
- Poison Jab

Skuntank is the best. That is all….I’m just kidding but really though Skuntank is the best Pokemon in the metagame right now if you ask me. It singlehandedly shuts down most stall teams with Taunt and puts the hurt on offense with Sucker Punch. Sucker Punch + Aftermath is a great way to remove things like Samurott(provided they don’t use Aqua Jet) and also helps eliminate Magmortar and Braviary as they are hard for this team to beat. Now you might be thinking, “Why u no have Pursuit???” Well honestly, I’ve never needed it. Since all of the moves have a specific purpose, I never wanted to change.

Crunch + Taunt are amazing for breaking stall and for smashing through Musharna and other psychic types. Sucker Punch is great for taking out faster Pokemon and for getting some good damage on Scarfers like Zebstrika and a weakened Sawk. Poison Jab may seem really strange but it’s a great move to spam and hope for poison hax. It feels so good to hit a Quagsire switch in and poison it as then it is much easier to handle. It also nails Sawk for about 60% damage and is a good way to beat Tangela as Taunt + Poison Jab is a good way to stop it.

The Attack EVs are maxed out for more power and the Speed EVs allow Skuntank to outspeed Adamant Absol and Adamant Samurott. This is great because it means Skuntank can outspeed and Taunt Samurott so it can’t set up and then hit with a Crunch before it can attack. It also means Skuntank can get a final hit on Absol before it smacks Skuntank with a Superpower.

Musharna (F) @ Leftovers
Bold Nature: (+Def, -Atk)
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Hidden Power Bug
- Moonlight

MUSHARNA IS DANK. This is tied with Skuntank for the best Pokemon in the meta right now. The amount of sweeps I’ve gotten with this Pokemon is incredible. It has such amazing bulk, it can tank almost anything. Musharna was put on this team because I desperately needed something to check Sawk and other fighting types. Musharna is basically the best fighting counter in NU in my opinion. It sets up on basically all of them.

Calm Mind is its boosting move and allows Musharna to become nearly unbreakable and unstoppable. Psychic is its STAB move and hits Vileplume and Sawk super effectively and is also a really powerful neutral hit against a lot of NU. Hidden Power Bug is good coverage. It hits Psychics super effectively and also hits Exeggutor and Absol for 4x Super-effective damage while also hitting Skuntank neutrally. Moonlight rounds out the set as a fantastic recovery move and lets Musharna stall out things like Scarf Braviary and CB Sawk.

The HP EVs give it optimal Leftovers recovery and the Defense EVs give it maximum physical bulk. The leftover EVs were thrown into Speed to speed creep.

THREATS:

The biggest threat to this team by far is CB Braviary. It basically does what it wants with me and I have to hope SR and priority can take it out.
Sun teams also cause me a fair bit of trouble (Django -_-) but I can hold my own usually.

CONCLUSION AND SHOUTOUTS

So like I said earlier I’m retiring this version of the team so I can try and adapt it to the new meta. This has been the most reliable team I’ve ever used and it’s been my favorite NU team I’ve ever used. So feel free to use this team and maybe you can get as much enjoyment out of it as I did! Now onto the shoutouts for the awesome people I’ve met so far in NU!

NoLuckInvolved: Thanks for getting me back into NU nigga! You’ve been a good friend and an awesome teambuilder and a great NU player.

Zebraiken: LEGION! You’re an awesome dude and fun to talk to. You’re gonna be a great tier leader and are going to continue being a great player as well!

FLCL: My ladder enemy/buddy. You are a machine dude for real. I’ve never seen anyone ladder as easily as you do. You’ve always given me a run for my money whenever we play and I think we’re about even in wins/losses(I hope lol). You have awesome teams and you will continue too!

Raseri/Razzles: You are a really awesome dude and always are fun to battle against. Your team was the reason I tried Shelgon and so far so
good! Now go QC Garbo!!!

Shnen: FINE YOU GET A SHOUTOUT! HAPPY! :D

Cbb: I’m the best!!

Django: Please make more stall teams I can smash(!) and thanks for believing in my skills!

Everyone in #neverused: You guys are amazing. Its like an internet family on there and everyone is really cool with each other and we all have a good time.

Natgeo: We are the best movie watchers in the world. MOTIVATORS!

Thanks for reading my RMT guys and if you want I’ll make an importable so people can try out the team!

Thank you for the shoutout MMF :)

The one thing I would recommend is Outrage > Dragon Claw on Shelgon. Because by the time you can outspeed Offensive Cryogonal you usually have enough power to muscle through the rest of the team. And using Outrage when you use Sleep Talk is a lot more powerful. Still Shelgon is just a great pokemon and I'm sure it works well with Dragon Claw.

Congrats on the Peak :), this is a great team MMF!

One thing. One TIIIIIIINY thing that I have to suggest. Rain Dance over Synthesis with LO. Trust me on this one!

The Shelgon speed EVs are for outspeeding Base 80s at +2 (Altaria) and Base 113s at +3 (Serperior) ;) if I remember correctly!

Thanks a lot for the shoutout, it was really fun building this team with you. While Duosion was fun I honestly think you've improved the team massively with Musharna and Ludicolo countering Sawk and checking rain respectively. They used to be massive problems for the team.

I'm really not sure what could possibly replace Shelgon! Since Musharna acts as sort of a physical wall now, maybe you could try something with more speed, a scarfer or more priority? Like bringing in Skill Link Cincinno to clean up, or Scarf Rotom-S to form a Volt Switch core with Probo or even a BD Linoone for weak clean up or strong sweeping. It may be a bit late but offensive Cryogonal could finally fit there now Sawk is in Musharna's back pocket. I think a little more speed could really benefit the team.

Congrats on the peak MMF, it was really exciting to watch your battles and you always played much better than I did when we were testing the team! (But Shelgon did like me a lot better :P) It's great to have you back in NU and I can't wait to see what BW2 NU looks like!

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Lol I can't believe you actually used that title :P

Like we discussed on IRC there aren't that many threats that can break through this team. I still this that Golem over Probopass is the way to go since it stops Rotom-S from Volt Switching in and out which is a real pain for the opponent. Sucker Punch gives this team valuable priority, which is nice since this team is so slow. As for the Shelgon slot, I would keep him there because it synergises with the rest of the team so well. Definitely run Outrage over Dragon Claw since Shelgon needs to hit as hard as possible. Maybe you could try Low Kick Fraxure over it but you miss out on the great physical bulk.

Anyways this team is awesome regardless; Musharna is such a boss at everything. Not as boss as Skuntank though...

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
I don't get why using Musharna over Duosion when running a Calm Mind set really, Duosion is inmune to status, is stronger and the difference in bulk isn't really noticiable, is there any reason to use Musharna ? Just asking because I haven't played NU much lately.

I agree with FLCL on everything else, Outrage is by far better on Shelgon and it's a cool move along Sleep Talk since you don't get locked (and Shelgon seriously needs Outrage as Dragon Claw is pitifully weak)

Golem looks like it could solve some of your problems thanks to not being x4 weak to fighting and having Sucker Punch (which is great on offensive teams), and Probopass doesn't seem that important for your team anyway.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
The main thing seperating Duosion and Musharna is Leftovers. 6% recovery each turn plus slightly more physical bulk (and a lot more special bulk) allows Musharna to tank hits a lot better.

MMF

Wow thanks for the replies guys! Time to respond.

@Raseri: Your welcome buddy! I used to have Outrage actually and I like the massive power it brought but I was revenge killed a lot with because there were times I needed to hit something on the switch and I got locked into it. That being said I will try it again! Thanks a lot dude!

@Jrod: Thanks I'll give it a shot!

@Furai: Whoops! Fixed

@NLI: Oh thats what they are for. I knew I was forgetting something :P. The pleasure was all mine dude, it was a great time. I definitely like the idea of a Skill Link Cinccino and will try it out for sure. Thanks so much dude! (Damned Shelgon -_-)

@FLCL: Hell yeah! Why would I not use the title?! Yeah I think I will stick with the Golem version for future playing for the reasons we talked about, but I just wanted to post the Probopass version :P. Yep I'm gonna give Outrage Shelgon a go again and thanks! Musharna+Skuntank is DANK!

@DestinyUnknown: Well mainly its leftovers and now Musharna has Heal Bell(which I will use) which further cements its dominance over Duosion.
Yep trying Outrage and also I have a version of this team with Golem and it works just as well if not a bit better. Thanks for the rate!

Thanks for the rates so far guys!

Hey there MMF! Congrats on getting #1! :) This team is very well built and I'd love to battle you one day!

Anyway, I think I can help you with your Braviary problem. Since you said Shelgon was the least useful on your team, how about replacing him with Eelektross? Choice Banded Braviary's Close Combat fails to OHKO both of the standard sets. Here are some calcs:

252 Atk Choice Band Braviary (+Atk) Close Combat vs 252 HP/0 Def Eelektross: 66.58% - 78.61% (2 hits to KO)

252 Atk Choice Band Braviary (+Atk) Close Combat vs 172 HP/0 Def Eelektross: 70.34% - 83.05% (2 hits to KO)

As you can see, both sets do a decent job of taking the hit, but the Coil set arguably does better with it. That's why I suggest running the Coil set, if you do decide to try out Eelektross.

Eelektross @Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
-Substitute
-Coil
-Wild Charge
-Dragon Tail

With an Impish Nature and 252 EVs in Defense, Eelektross will be able to take Braviary's Close Combat very well. Substitute with Coil guarentees you get a boost or two, and then you can proceed to sweep! The lack of coverage does suck, but Dragon Tail stops set-up sweepers from coming in on Eelektross and also stacks on the Stealth Rock damage, further giving you the advantage.

I hope this will help you out and, once again, congrats on your peak! Keep up the good work! :)

MOTIVATORS are DANK also right now zombie dogs > mercenary

anyways this team is actually really cool! Though just a thing to note, CBraviary kinda rips this team up if it nails Probo with Superpower :P Just something to note, though I'm sure you can deal with it pretty well with proper play with probo / skuntank!

MMF

@Majestic Electric: Thats actually a cool idea! The only thing is that Shelgon really helps with things like Cinccino and Tauros where as I'm afraid Eelektross would not stand up to them. I'll try it though. Thanks for the rate!

@Natgeo: MOTIVATOR PLEASE THESE ARE CUSTOM! And yeah CB Braviary has been this teams biggest weakness. Generally I had to play around it and use resists and Shelgon/Musharna to beat it. It was really hard to beat but yeah. Thanks for the comments buddy!

MMF! Congrats on the team and the peak. I too have used that Mushy and Skuntank (from your suggestions) and i agree that they are two of the best mons in the tier. After just one calm mind, Mushy can rip apart a team and is hard to revenge kill due its high bulk. Also, Skuntank is the best stall eggy counter in the tier. After taunt, Eggy cant touch him. Skunt is also the best ghost counter but you all knew that. Anyway, thanks for all your help with my team and your tutoring. You have made me in to the somewhat decent player that i am today haha. Continue being awesome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)