Battle Spot My Battle Spot team? New to the 'Meta'.

tl;dr:

I'm new to the Battlespot Meta, and would like to try my hand at playing the game here. The Meta seems, interesting, to say the least, and I'd really like to try playing it, but, I'm new and am probably terrible.

Anything with a ? or in () is something I'm unsure of, and would love help.

I already had a large amount of mons from OU, so I just brought them over here to use.

Here goes my first Battle Spot team!

Salamence(M) @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate/Aerilate
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Speed/4 Def
~ Dragon Dance
~ Double Edge
~ Earthquake
~ Roost

It's MegaMence, he's an absolute terror to the point that he was quickbanned before ORAS even came out. The moveset is pretty standard, though I'm unsure if Adamant or Jolly is the better option. Adamant adds power to the mix, but Jolly makes him ever soo slightly faster. Dragon Dance to set-up, and then sweep with Return and EQ. Roost heals you for a ton, so use it to heal yourself up from the brink of death, and continue to sweep away your problems. Intimidate over Moxie so you can potentially force a switch. Is Double Edge used over Return?

Aegislash(M) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
Nature: Quiet
EVs: 252 HP/252 Sp.Atk/4 Sp.Def
~ King's Shield
~ Shadow Ball
~ Shadow Sneak
~ Flash Cannon

Aegislash needs no introduction. He's ridiculously annoying to handle, and is all around a threat to deal with, and Weakness Policy only makes him more annoying to deal with. Flash Cannon is used over Sacred Sword to deal with all the Tapus, and Shadow Ball+Sneak is a pretty staple combo on very Aegislash in existence. EV Spread helps maximize his survivability while in shield forme, while allowing him to hit like a truck out of Shield Forme. Mimikyu seems like a bit of a problem, though, especially Focus Sash Mimikyu.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 Speed/252 Sp.Atk/4 Def
~ Psychic
~ Moonblast
~ Shadow Ball
~ HP Fire

Revenge killer who stops revenge killing with Psychic Terrain. Shadow Ball to deal with MegaGross and other Leles, Psychic gets a HUGE STAB bonus from Psychic Terrain, and Moonblast hits everything else. HP Fire is mainly a filler move and a carry-over from my OU set, but it has its uses. Choice Scarf lets her outspeed most threats, and then proceed to sweep with little issue, though it does leave her vulnerable to things switching in that can take a hit from her and hit back. However, I feel like in this Meta, Choice Scarf is better than Choice Specs.

Buzzwole @ Assault Vest/Fightium-Z
Ability: Beast Boost
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP/252 Attack/4 Def
~ Superpower
~ Ice Punch
~ Leech Life
~ Earthquake

Buzzwole is here to be an all around bulky team member who can throw out a punch, knocking someone's head off. The Assault Vest patches up his poor Sp.Def, and allows him to tank hits slightly better. Superpower will drop my attack, but then Beast Boost resets it, making the only drop Defense. Ice Punch hits Garchomp and Salamence super hard, and Leech Life heals me back up. Earthquake is there to be a catch-all move and hits a lot of mons really strong. EVs are to maximize his natural bulk, along with his insanely high attack stat. Everything else is standard. Fightium-Z can be used instead to OHKO Porygon2.

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 Speed/252 Sp.Atk/4 Def
~ Thunderbolt
~ Dazzling Gleam
~ Grass Knot
~ Volt Switch

Tapu Koko and Tapu Lele pair up together to be the two best Tapus in the Meta. Koko hits like a truck with his Thunderbolts and spells death for Water types or Celesteela. Dazzling Gleam hits Fighting and Dragon types, while Grass Knot is there to handle the annoying Mamoswine and hopefully OHKO it. Volt Switch lets Koko switch out of a non-beneficial situation and live another day to fight. EV spread maximizes his ability to hit super hard, super quickly while holding onto a Life Orb. Standard otherwise.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
Nature: Bold
EVs: 244 HP/252 Def/12 SpDef
~ Thunderbolt
~ Ice Beam
~ Recover
~ Toxic

I'm just going off what everyone says here as far as P2 is concerned. The EV spread is used to maximize surviveability, while the movepool covers pretty much everything that could worry me. Download allows my bulky P2 to get in extra damage occasionally, and Recover is what you would expect it to do. Toxic is used to stall out the opponent with Recover spam, while BoltBeam is used for all around coverage, and it even gets buffed via Koko.​

Last edited:
Double-edge is generally preferred on Salamence because getting the KO is really powerful in 3v3. Adamant or Jolly is really personal preference; I prefer Jolly. I don't know off of any important OHKOs you miss by switching off the top of my head, but the speed puts it ahead of Mega Metagross, Mega Lucario without Dragon Dance. Under the new Mega-pokemon speed mechanics, this is powerful.

I'm going to steal can't say's job and note how your team is weak against other peoples' P2 (especially since you have both quadruple-weak-to-ice dragons). Consider switching Aegislash to a Toxic/Substitute or Swords Dance build, and/or put Toxic on one or both of your own P2 and Tapu Koko.

Speaking of Tapu Koko: this likely changes post-bank, but right now, HP Ground tends to be preferred to HP Ice because it can hit Marowak-Alola, one of the most common switch-ins. Your team also is a bit short on answers to Mamoswine right now (especially Assault Vest variants), so Grass Knot might also be worth thinking about.

Like you mentioned under Aegislash, Mimikyu looks like it might be tough for your team to handle. Mega Gyarados is a strong answer but would require a heavy retooling of your team. Other options include Will-o-Wisp users and physically defensive Celesteela.

Double-edge is generally preferred on Salamence because getting the KO is really powerful in 3v3. Adamant or Jolly is really personal preference; I prefer Jolly. I don't know off of any important OHKOs you miss by switching off the top of my head, but the speed puts it ahead of Mega Metagross, Mega Lucario without Dragon Dance. Under the new Mega-pokemon speed mechanics, this is powerful.

I'm going to steal can't say's job and note how your team is weak against other peoples' P2 (especially since you have both quadruple-weak-to-ice dragons). Consider switching Aegislash to a Toxic/Substitute or Swords Dance build, and/or put Toxic on one or both of your own P2 and Tapu Koko.

Speaking of Tapu Koko: this likely changes post-bank, but right now, HP Ground tends to be preferred to HP Ice because it can hit Marowak-Alola, one of the most common switch-ins. Your team also is a bit short on answers to Mamoswine right now (especially Assault Vest variants), so Grass Knot might also be worth thinking about.

Like you mentioned under Aegislash, Mimikyu looks like it might be tough for your team to handle. Mega Gyarados is a strong answer but would require a heavy retooling of your team. Other options include Will-o-Wisp users and physically defensive Celesteela.
I like your ideas, I think I'll take them, for the most part.

I've considered running something to deal with Porygon2, but I always wind up with another glaring weakness. I was running Pheromosa originally over Garchomp, but that was just more Mimikyu fodder and left me open for Mega Scizor.

Also, Download or Trace?

You'll never have a team with a rock-solid answer to literally everything, but P2 is powerful and common enough that it's worth bending over backwards to beat. P2 also has a somewhat unique ability to be full-on unbreakable if you aren't prepared for it, whereas other things you aren't prepared for can often be overcome with a two-for-one trade or something.

Download is generally better; even uninvested, +1 BoltBeam is generally painful. (If you want to be cute, in gen6 some people even ran Return with a nature like Sassy to use in case they Downloaded an attack boost.) Trace does have some fun applications like Intimidate or Beast Boost, but Download tends to be more consistent.

So then, Phero over Chomp may be a better call? This is the Phero I was running before:

Pheromosa @ Focus Sash
Naive Nature
EVs: 252 Speed/252 Atk/4 Sp.Atk
~ Hi-Jump Kick
~ Poison Jab
~ U-Turn
~ Ice Beam

Last edited:
You have a lot of options here since the rest of your team is goodstuff that already covers a lot of bases. That Pheromosa might do the job, but other things like AV Mamoswine with Fissure, various Buzzwole builds, and SpDef Celesteela can all work too. Hell, I've lost P2s to Calm Mind + Roost Tapu Koko. I'd experiment to see what fits best with your team and play habits.

Buzzwole?

You have my attention.

Also....Fissure...Mamoswine?

I assume that the Buzzwole is an AV set?

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm going to steal can't say's job and note how your team is weak against other peoples' P2
what am i meant to say now..? lol

I was going to suggest Buzzwole / Pheromosa / Mega Lucario in that Garchomp slot as well. I like the look of Buzzwole there as it also serves as a really solid answer to (Mega) Gyarados in case you can't fall back on P2 in that match for whatever reason. Apart from that this looks like your average goodstuffs team so it's fine on paper, just be prepared to get counterteamed by weird anti-meta stuff

what am i meant to say now..? lol

I was going to suggest Buzzwole / Pheromosa / Mega Lucario in that Garchomp slot as well. I like the look of Buzzwole there as it also serves as a really solid answer to (Mega) Gyarados in case you can't fall back on P2 in that match for whatever reason. Apart from that this looks like your average goodstuffs team so it's fine on paper, just be prepared to get counterteamed by weird anti-meta stuff
What would you suggest for Buzzwole? It seems like a pretty versatile 'mon. Is it a Bulk Up set with Roost or an AV set you have in mind?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What would you suggest for Buzzwole? It seems like a pretty versatile 'mon. Is it a Bulk Up set with Roost or an AV set you have in mind?
It honestly just depends on how you like to play. Assault Vest is probably the best all-round set and good for the newbies. I like Z-Superpower to nuke Porygon2 and threaten anything that wants to switch in on it. Bulk Up isn't bad at all but I find it hard to set up.

It honestly just depends on how you like to play. Assault Vest is probably the best all-round set and good for the newbies. I like Z-Superpower to nuke Porygon2 and threaten anything that wants to switch in on it. Bulk Up isn't bad at all but I find it hard to set up.
.....Can I get a movelist and spread for that Z-Superpower set? Sounds fun.

The Assault Vest spread would be nice too, I'm unsure how to build this Mon besides Leech Life.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
you can go either bulky or fast, depends which one you like.

Buzzwole @ Fightium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def (or 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe)
Adamant Nature (or Jolly with fast spread)
- Superpower
- Leech Life
- Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch / Earthquake / Bulk Up / Roost

you can go either bulky or fast, depends which one you like.

Buzzwole @ Fightium Z
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def (or 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe)
Adamant Nature (or Jolly with fast spread)
- Superpower
- Leech Life
- Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch / Earthquake / Bulk Up / Roost
Thank you.

Is it pretty similar for Assault Vest except put the Attack EVs into Sp.Def?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)