My first RMT! (a UU Beta Team)

Hi guys, I have loved Pokemon for a lot of my life, but have just gotten into competitive battling with the beginning of X and Y, mostly on Showdown. After countless fights with Rotom-washes, Aegislashes, Talonflames, and the like, I decided to try some UU. Putting together a team with many different threats, I actually turned out with a half-decent team. Without further ado, let's start

Celebi @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpD / 252 SAtk/ 4 SDeg
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Leaf Storm
- Recover
- Psychic

Hey guys! Guess what? Bisharp got BANNED TO OU! This means that I have to replace Bisharp with a bulky/life orb set Celebi. Giga Drain is mainly used to recover the recoil form Life Orb, while providing a powerful STAB minus the stat drop. Leaf Storm is to take out those big bulky threats that think they can live a Giga Drain. Recover can help heal even more HP, while Psychic is Celebi's Psychic STAB. Natural Cure gives some status absorbtion capabilities. This is a set that I came up with, but it doesn't feel quite right, so any set suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Medicham @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch

Mega Medicham really doesn't belong in UU. This Psychic/Fighting type is one of the strongest megas out there, and I use him as a cleanup against a few other pokemon, or use his superior speed and attack to take out tough foes. Fake Out is great priority that can revenge kill a weakened poke, or let his speed kick in to annihilate any leads. High Jump Kick, with Huge power and STAB, is a must, KOing even the strongest walls of UU. Zen Headbutt is my physical Psychic STAB, while Ice Puncg is there for coverage against other mons.

Darmanitan @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Superpower

Ahh Darmanitan. The meaning of a glass cannon in UU. It's defenses may not be very high, but considering a Banded Darmanitan's Flare Blitz can 2HKO a Rotom-Wash, I had to have this little sucker on my team, even if it wasn't Banded. Choice Scarf is there so it can outspeed more threats, but yet still hits like a truck. Flare Blitz is it's STAB of choice, boasting a 120 base power 15pp move at the cost of some recoil. U-turn is to get out of a dangerous situation fast so I can save him for later. Earthquake is nice because it hits many Pokemon for Super Effective damage that Flare Blitz can't provide. Plus, it's incredibly satisfying to OHKO a Pokemon that switched in that would resist Flare Blitz, but not EQ. Superpower is there for coverage.

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Wish
- Protect
- Roar

I have played with Vaporeon before, and have experienced it's huge bulk firsthand, but this actually does quite a nice job a replacing Milotic! She has some additional hit points and bulk Milotic didn't have, as well as the ability to pass off Wish. It also synergizes with Nidoqueen very well with it's Water Absorb ability. Scald is a very nice STAB of choice, a powerful Water move with chance to pass off a burn. Wish is there to give a boost of HP to a Pokemon in need, while Protect can ensure that Wish gets to her safely. Roar is to phaze out any setup sweepers.

Escavalier @ Assault Vest
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Drill Run

Escavalier in my opinion is a very underrated Pokemon. With it's Assault Vest, it can take most Special hits calmly enough. Megahorn and Iron Head are for hard hitting STAB's that can actually deal with most of the big threats of the tier. Knock Off can take away any items that could be crucial to taking him out or stalling him out. Drill Run is for troublesome Steel Types or for Fire types thinking that they can switch into me.

Nidoqueen (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SAtk / 168 HP / 88 SpD
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Sludge Wave

When the suggestion for Nidoqueen came up, I didn't know what to think of it. I know I loved Nidoking as a revenge killer, and Sheer Force hinted at some offensive capability. All in all, I have been WOWED at its performance. Stealth Rocks are a great entry hazard, and can cripple some big threats. Earth Power hits REALLY hard, OHKO'ing bulky threats like Metagross. Sluge Wave is the same way, and hits other Pokemon suprisingly hard. Ice Beam isn't as great, because of lack or STAB, but it still does really great damage. Combined with the healing of Black Sludge, this Pokemon has taken out 4-5 Pokemon all by herself in one battle, and came close to 6-0ing a team.

So, that is my first RMT! Tell me what you think of it and my team, and please, leave helpful feedback so I can make this team the best it can be!

Attachments

Last edited:

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hi there! You have a great start on your team, but think that it's not quite finished and needs a couple of changes to be made.

Let's start off with the first member, Bisharp. I recommend Knock Off > Night Slash, as in XY, Knock Off is basically the new Scald. Knock Off also hits much harder than Night Slash when it first removes the item. Speaking of which, Knock Off removes the foe's item! This is a great boon, as stripping the opponent of their Scarf, Life Orb, Lefties, and maybe even Eviolite is a game-changer! The second thing I would recommend for Bisharp is Life Orb > Leftovers. Life Orb can net Bisharp many KOs, such as that on Mega Gardevoir or Staraptor with Sucker Punch (the latter after SR). The last thing I would change is 252 Spe > 252 HP. The Speed is really nice to get the jump on Metagross and minimum Speed 100s and Knock Off their items before they can do anything back to you.

Right now, your team doesn't have a Mega, and therefore, you really shouldn't be using Pivot Meinshao over the superior Mega Medicham. Mega Medicham hits much harder than Meinshao, factoring in Reckless. Mega Medicham also has a useful secondary STAB to beat the likes of Nidoqueen and Nidoking, both of which wall Meinshao. Overall, if you're not running a Mega, you shouldn't be running Meinshao over Mega Medicham (unless it's Scarfed, which it's not in this case). Here is the proposed set:

Medicham @ Medichamite | Pure Power
Jolly | 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Fake Out | High Jump Kick | Zen Headbutt | Ice Punch

You can switch out HJK for Drain Punch if you want recovery, but I don't think it's needed when what you're looking for is a wallbreaker.

Milotic, imo, is really outclassed in the current metagame. While it seems like a good status absorber, Pokemon like Jellicent and Vaporeon offer better overall utility and can take on a wider range of threats. For this reason, I would recommend Vaporeon > Milotic. Vaporeon can also double as a Wish passer, which Cofagrigus (or AV Escavalier) really appreciates, and Vaporeon also has a more reliable phazing move in Roar (in this meta at least, where the only common Magic Bouncer is Mega Absol). Furthermore, Vaporeon's Water Absorb ability allows it to take on the likes of CroCune and Keldeo much better, especially if the latter is a Sub variant. It also has a higher offensive presence, although that isn't too important. Here is the proposed set:

Vaporeon @ Leftovers | Water Absorb
Bold | 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Scald | Wish | Protect | Roar

I don't really know what you're trying to achieve with that Cofargigus tbh. Cofagrigus is not cut out to be a specially defensive wall at all, and Nasty Plot also kind of confuses me. Overall, Cofagrigus is very awkward on your team and I would recommend Assault Vest Escavalier instead. Escavalier is a much better special tank than Cofagrigus, and since your team only utilizes one entry hazard (Stealth Rock), and the tier's most common spinner can get past Cofagrigus with ease (Mega Blastoise), you don't need Cofagrigus's spinblocking either. Escavalier offers you great protection against the likes of Mega Gardevoir and Roserade, while also providing you with a sleep absorber and secondary Knock Off user. Furthermore, AV Escavalier and Milotic (or Vaporeon) make an excellent core. Here is the proposed set:

Escavalier @ Assault Vest | Overcoat
Adamant | 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Megahorn | Iron Head | Knock Off | Drill Run

Lastly, Claydol is a horrible Pokemon in the current metagame (and in BW UU too ;-;) since it is such setup bait while also being prone to Knock Offs at every corner. Also, it cannot spin past anything common, and also fails to offer any significant synergy to this team. For these reasons, I would recommend using Nidoqueen instead. Nidoqueen also has access to Stealth Rock, and while it cannot spin, it can prevent the most dangerous entry hazard for your team (Toxic Spikes) from staying on the field. Thanks to the immense offensive presence your team has, setting up Spikes is an unlikely task; furthermore, nothing on your team aside from Darmanitan cares for Stealth Rock and Mega Medicham deals with Sticky Web setters just fine. For these reasons, you don't really need a spinner. Nidoqueen offers a high offensive presence as well as the ability to switch in on Fighting-type attacks, which your team desperately needs. Here is the proposed:

Nidoqueen @ Black Sludge | Sheer Force
Modest | 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Stealth Rock | Earth Power | Sludge Wave | Ice Beam

Sorry if I changed too much, I'm still sorta new to rating teams. Do know that you definitely do not have to take my suggestions, they're just what I think would work well for your team. Hope I helped, and good luck with the team daedalus1103 ^.^

Honestly, I think you may be right about all the changes. With the exception of the bisharp edits, which I will put on my team, I think I will make a whole new edited team and decide which changes I like best, considering 5 out of my 6 pokemon needed to be changed. Since all those pokemon needed to changed, it does make me feel a little unconfident in my team making ability, but whatever

Don't be discouraged. From the tone of the first couple sentences in your RTM it sounds like you where hoping you could choose from a wider variety of Pokemon since you were building a team for the UU meta-game, and you can, don't get me wrong. However, in every tier there are going to be a handful of Pokemon that are the best a specific roles because of the various offensive and defensive threats in the meta-game. A lot of what Rohail suggested was just pointing in you the direction of the best solutions where for the roles you selected, if that makes any sense.

I'd give my two cents, but it seems it was already given.

A tip of advice,for Medicham: if you feel like you're threatened by fairies, maybe go Bullet Punch > Fake Out, since that's what I run, but whatever floats your boat. Psycho Cut could also be used over Zen Headbutt, because while it is a bit weaker, you can crit more often. Use it however you please, though, I ain't judging.

Arkian

is a Contributor Alumnus
I'd give my two cents, but it seems it was already given.

A tip of advice,for Medicham: if you feel like you're threatened by fairies, maybe go Bullet Punch > Fake Out, since that's what I run, but whatever floats your boat. Psycho Cut could also be used over Zen Headbutt, because while it is a bit weaker, you can crit more often. Use it however you please, though, I ain't judging.
AV Escavalier eats Fairies for breakfast, so Bullet Punch isn't that useful. Psycho Cut is a viable alternative though, as Zen Headbutt also has a 90% acc. which can screw you over.

Last edited:
I agree with rohail. AV escavalier deals with fairies just fine, taking their hits and KOing back with Iron Head. Still working with additions and probably will update the main thread soon. One thing I noticed is, when Nidoqueen is out of the way, no one can take an electric attack well, particularly a magnezone thunderbolt. Any ideas on patching this problem?

I agree with rohail. AV escavalier deals with fairies just fine, taking their hits and KOing back with Iron Head. Still working with additions and probably will update the main thread soon. One thing I noticed is, when Nidoqueen is out of the way, no one can take an electric attack well, particularly a magnezone thunderbolt. Any ideas on patching this problem?
Mamoswine would be great for setting up and absorbing Thunderbolts, so maybe something like that?

Electivire, not only absorbs thunderbolts, but it increases it's speed to make it a threatening sweeper with great coverage (Cross Chop handlees Magnezone). Also raiku doesn't care much for a TBolt and can it Magnezone back with Aura Sphere.

Arkian

is a Contributor Alumnus
Mamoswine would be great for setting up and absorbing Thunderbolts, so maybe something like that?
Mamoswine isn't UU... :/

Anyway, if Nidoqueen does go down (you should preserve it until the opponent's Magnezone is down), then Escavalier can take on variants locked into Thunderbolt (once), and if worse comes to worse, then you would have to sack something and revenge kill with Darmanitan or Mega Medicham. I don't recommend Electivire, as not only do you have no place to fit it in, it is kinda weak and easy to revenge kill.

I will experiment with electivire, but if I had pokemon to switch what would it be? Also, how do you check a ladder for a team?

What do you mean? I think its still uu
Bisharp was Promoted to OU in the latest usage stats. It won't be legal in UU once the ladder gets updated.
The only problem I see with this team is that Nidoking is UU as well and is better than Nidoqueen.
This is untrue. Nidoking is generally inferior and only only specific offensive teams does he outdo Nidoqueen, because Nidoqueen's bulk give her much more utility. Nidoking's only real advantage is its speed, but that isn't enough to make up for the fact it's much easier to kill than Nidoqueen is on a bulky team like this. It should, however, be carrying a Life Orb for a free 30% power boost, and I recommend 28 speed EVs to outrun defensive Blastoise, allowing you to 2HKO it with Sludge Wave on the switch.

My recommendation to repalace Bisharp is LO tank Latias since it can deal with Landorus and Terrakion reasonably well and they otherwise could handily sweep your team.

Lando and terrakion are both in OU so I won't be fighting them. However, I am open to a bulky sweeper replacements for bisharp. My sense is Latias is on the more utility bulk side, so I want to look for something more like bisharp. Honchkrow maybe?

Arkian

is a Contributor Alumnus
Lando and terrakion are both in OU so I won't be fighting them. However, I am open to a bulky sweeper replacements for bisharp. My sense is Latias is on the more utility bulk side, so I want to look for something more like bisharp. Honchkrow maybe?
Landoru-I, Terrakion, and Jirachi dropped down to UU as of the latest tier shift.

I would recommend Crawdaunt, since it fulfills a role similar to that of Bisharp while also packing a powerful priority move in Aqua Jet to let it get past Terrakion and Landorus. Here is the set:

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb | Adaptability
Adamant | 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Aqua Jet | Knock Off | Crabhammer | Superpower

What do you think daedalus1103?

Rohail thanks for the update and suggestion. I have used crawdaunt before , I will start using him even though bisharp is UU for now. P.s, where do you get the tier updates?

Edit:Looking the team, with crawdaunt, the electric weakness is very large now. Not saying crawdaunt is bad, but I am open to other sweepers.

Last edited:
That sounds great I should try it. However, this makes me vulnerable to setup sweepers. So, is heal bell worth it?

Last edited:
That sounds great I should try it. However, this makes me vulnerable to setup sweepers. So, is heal bell worth it?
Due to your multiple Revenge killers, even without a phazing move this won't cost you too many battles. If you are really worried about this though, you could replace Ice Beam with Roar on Nidoqueen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)