SPOILERS! Mysteries and Conspiracies of Pokemon

I would say that's up to your taste and it's fine if you don't like them

Personally Arctovish looks like what a complete Pokemon only because of its Same-ish color scheme. Other than that I don't see the "laziness" you meant to point out.

Yeah I think making the other halves available would just undermine the gimmick.

Also, limiting the tops and bottoms was a deliberate choice to keep the number of possible combos down. If they included the other halves to make it possible to revive the original species, they’d then have to either:
-design and include the remaining 8 mix-n-match mons that you could make with the new combination options, or
-come up with an explanation for why something as impossible as Dracovish can exist but a hypothetical Vishodrake can’t.
Alcremie literally has 63 forms. 64 if you count G-Max. Over 70 if you count Shinies. Adding 12 more fossil combinations (8 halves would result in 16 possible combos) wouldn't be so farfetch'd after that.

Alcremie literally has 63 forms. 64 if you count G-Max. Over 70 if you count Shinies. Adding 12 more fossil combinations (8 halves would result in 16 possible combos) wouldn't be so farfetch'd after that.
It's a little more work than what is essentially just recolours and minor accessories.

My point is that if GF devoted enough time and resources to creating individual models for every single Alcremie, there's no reason they couldn't complete the fossils.
Which I understood, but my point is that that would be a lot more complex than Alcremie. Alcremie at the end of the day only has 7 different models with many recolours; and even then the only differences between those 7 models are two easily-replaceable aspects of it. I like it a lot because it's a very simple yet ingenious way to provide aesthetic differences to a Pokémon.

In contrast, with the fossils you're creating entirely new designs and having to make entirely new models and poses from scratch. There are of course re-usable assets involved in this process, but all the rigging and animations for instance would be completely new and as much work as any other new Pokémon. It's completely incomparable to Alcremie even if discounting the pure recolours and reducing it to its 7 unique models. Which is, of course, even before all the non-model work: names, movepool, stats, abilities, pokedex entries, official art, etc etc.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Speaking of models, after catching a few extra Galarian Ponyta to trade with my cousins I remembered something: in the reveal stream for it one Galarian Ponyta was noticeably missing its tail. Yet in the games there's no such thing as a tailless Galarian Ponyta.

GF, what's up with that? Did you not watch the animations with the Galarian Ponyta to make sure the models looked right? Actually, since there was a Ponyta with a tail that meant there was two models so one purposely have to have been made without a tail, right? So was the tailless Ponyta intentional? Was there a plan to have a tailless Ponyta but last second decided not to? Shouldn't that decision have been finalized before the debut stream where you made people watch 99% of nothing for a whole day?

Matleo

Banned deucer.
I think Eternatus skeleton looks was my question on Quoara about creating my Dragon/ghost pokemon immune to special attacks...
gave probably idea for Eiscue for the oposite direction. And probably thats why we got Dragonpult too...

They nerfed Mimikyus Disquise...

Weird that no new or old pokemon got good hidden abilities from gen 7 specially...

I was thinking Drednaw was a fossil pokemon first but reminded me we got turtles in gen 5.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
So for those who like the Galar Fossil Pokemon, you'll love to hear that Dracovish, one which I consider the worst looking, turns out to be very dangerous and can even potentially KO a Pokemon that resists it. The Fossilized Fish's Signature Move, Fishious Rend (which I hope is spread to other Pokemon like Carvahna family, Bruxish, and Chewtle family; yes I know in Japan it's called Gill Bite but there have been exceptions for other moves like Brave Bird Zubat), doubles in power from 85 to 170 if it attacks first or the opponent switched out. Not only that, but since it's a biting move it gets boosted by Strong Jaw making it go from 170 to 255. Oh, wait, I forgot STAB: 382.5 base Power. And Dracovish has a respectable base 90 in Attack.

I feel like Sideshow Bob walking into rakes, except the rakes are the Galar Fossil Pokemon.

*GRUMBLE*

Last edited:

Matleo

Banned deucer.
So for those who like the Galar Fossil Pokemon, you'll love to hear that Dracovish, one which I consider the worst looking, turns out to be very dangerous and can even potentially KO a Pokemon that resists it. The Fossilized Fish's Signature Move, Fishious Rend (which I hope is spread to other Pokemon like Carvahna family, Bruxish, and Chewtle family; yes I know in Japan it's called Gill Bite but there have been exceptions for other moves like Brave Bird Zubat), doubles in power from 85 to 170 if it attacks first or the opponent switched out. Not only that, but since it's a biting move it gets boosted by Strong Jaw making it go from 170 to 255. Oh, wait, I forgot STAB: 382.5 base Power. And Dracovish has a respectable base 90 in Attack.

I feel like Sideshow Bob walking into rakes, except the rakes are the Galar Fossil Pokemon.

*GRUMBLE*
mad that they didnt give Dracofish to Nessa instead that Goldeen... would make much more sense.
Or to that dragon gym leader actualy.

Bolt Beak and those electric bird pokemon... Zapdos...
and something new and better for Skarmory...

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I really like the potential of "perfect" fossils. I hope in the third/pair of 2nd versions there will be new fossils / new Pokemon to finish the fossils !
I doubt that as that would ruin the joke. That would also mean they'd not only have to create 4 completed Pokemon, it would also mean they'd have to make new fossil Pokemon for each possible head and body combinations which would mean 16 Pokemon altogether.

Matleo

Banned deucer.
I doubt that as that would ruin the joke. That would also mean they'd not only have to create 4 completed Pokemon, it would also mean they'd have to make new fossil Pokemon for each possible head and body combinations which would mean 16 Pokemon altogether.
not necesary if half of their bodies were part rock type from the beginning?
This guy is unto something... would be a great way to add new pokemon if they wanted not necessary that number.

I actually can see a way they could get away with only making 8 new Pokémon, or at least 8 new Dex entries; make some of the chimeras forms of the others. For example, the Draco- front and -vish rear could be another form of Dracovish.

Which also opens up an idea of how to get the pure forms, or at least one option anyway; if one has both forms of the same fossil mon, an NPC could science the halves apart and put them together properly, leaving the trainer with two of the proper fossil mons.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
not necesary if half of their bodies were part rock type from the beginning?
Which also opens up an idea of how to get the pure forms, or at least one option anyway; if one has both forms of the same fossil mon, an NPC could science the halves apart and put them together properly, leaving the trainer with two of the proper fossil mons.
Actually I think this is probably the best way to handle it. Just have another scientist tell you they can actually revive a Pokemon with one Fossil however it'll be part Rock-type.

Fossilized Bird would create a Electric/Rock Velociraptor who's bottom half is mostly covered in rocky armor plates.
Fossilized Fish would create a Water/Rock Dunkleosteus who's bottom half is mostly covered in rocky armor plates.
Fossilized Drake would create a Dragon/Rock whatever-land-dinosaur-it-is who's top half is mostly covered in rocky armor plates.
Fossilized Dino would create a Ice/Rock whatever-marine-dinosaur-it-is who's top half is mostly covered in rocky armor plates.

Matleo

Banned deucer.
Actually I think this is probably the best way to handle it. Just have another scientist tell you they can actually revive a Pokemon with one Fossil however it'll be part Rock-type.

Fossilized Bird would create a Electric/Rock Velociraptor who's bottom half is mostly covered in rocky armor plates.
Fossilized Fish would create a Water/Rock Dunkleosteus who's bottom half is mostly covered in rocky armor plates.
Fossilized Drake would create a Dragon/Rock whatever-land-dinosaur-it-is who's top half is mostly covered in rocky armor plates.
Fossilized Dino would create a Ice/Rock whatever-marine-dinosaur-it-is who's top half is mostly covered in rocky armor plates.
and a ice/dragon combo Drake and Dino would be cool actually if possible.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
and a ice/dragon combo Drake and Dino would be cool actually if possible.
Well with my idea they wouldn't do that, we'd only ever have the fossils released though the additional option to resurrect them as is. Even if we do call the combinations of the same Pokemon except swapping the head & tail the same name that's still 12 more models they'd need to create and it's also likely they would need to adjust movepools as Draco and Dino probably wouldn't have Fishous Rend and Bolt Beak as their Signature move, rather it would be an Ice-type and Dragon-type version of those moves. While they would probably keep the majority of their moves, some moves are dependent if the Pokemon has the body type for it so swapped Dracozolt may no longer have Dragon Tail, Arctovish and Dracovish may learn Aqua Tail instead of Crunch.

So not to beat the fossil horse too badly, & sort of returning to a thought I had earlier, but after thinking on it I think that the "bird" fossil isn't a raptor at all, like the common art and thoughts are.
On its own "bird fossil" could just be a cute reference to modern looks at raptors, but:
-the description mentions soaring through the air
-the signature move is a beak attack
-it has a fairly distinct mouth that has teeth but not really fangs
-dracozolt has electric extensions on its arms that seem like wings. I assume this is left out of arctozolt because it'd mess with the model too much, and the arms are "inside" the dino

I think what Zolt might be is instead a type of pterosaur, specifically one of the smaller, more lythe varieties like the Rhamphorhynchus https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhamphorhynchus
The thing that stands out to me the most is the type of beaks these had, with "teeth" on the rim of the bill that interlock like Zolt's beak does

also apparently it was common to find just the skulls, or upper halves, of these things, but I wouldn't read too much into that. Finding the skulls was pretty common for many dinosaurs, much less the smaller frailer ones.

... what?

This is the only Pokémon in the entire history of the franchise to do this, and only in one game. I don't understand
The only possibility I can think of is that they already had GSC and the Time Capsule in mind, so that these Kadabra would yield Twisted Spoons on trading.

Although that brings up the question of why they didn't do it on anything else. Say, on Mewtwo so that they'd carry Berserk Genes.

Last edited:
The only possibility I can think of is that they already had GSC and the Time Capsule in mind, so that these Kadabra would yield Twisted Spoons on trading.

Although that brings up the question of why they didn't do it on anything else. Say, on Mewtwo so that they'd carry Berserk Genes.
They probably did, actually? Yellow was put out during the GS's development, I think specifically at the point where it was already delayed. So I think you actually hit the nail on the head here!

That said, looking into it more, the other Yellow pokemon they specifically altered Kadabra is the only one that sets the value after you catch it. Dragonair, for example, was hardcoded to 27 instead of remaining 45 then switching it after acpture. Might have been a programming quirk they didn't catch.

Plot twist, Kadabra fears how it would be treated, and so sends a psychic warning to all other Kadabra in the region to not be captured, hence the changed capture rate

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
So, I just thought of something: Now that they removed Hidden Power, when they re-introduce Unown what are they going to do with it? Hidden Power was it's only move.

1. Hidden Power will also be re-introduced but only usable by Unown, even if you hack it onto another Pokemon it won't work unless it's an Unown. Hopefully this also means it'll get a Power increase... not that it'll help Unown much which is what's making me kind of doubting this option.

2. Unown will be given an actual moveset. Primarily it'll be given a lot of the "Power" moves: Superpower, Ancient Power, Earth Power, Power Gem, Stored Power, Cosmic Power, Power Split, Power Swap, & Power Trick. Actually I'd imagine it would get a lot of the "mystical" Psychic status moves as well (Guard Split, Guard Swap, Heal Block, Magic Coat, Magic Room, Miracle Eye, Psycho Shift, Skill Swap, Speed Swap, Trick, Trick Room, Wonder Room). I don't expect Unown to become a heavy hitter but, unless they do something drastic with it, if what we have is what we got to work with maybe someone can work out a niche with it as a supporter. But, once again, consider Unown's "gimmick" I doubt this will also be the case.

3. Unown is given a new Signature Move (and maybe even Signature Ability); I'd call it Unknown Power no matter what it does just for the pun. I feel this is the most likely as this option opens up Unown to any possibility. Heck, doesn't even need to do damage as GF has experimented with other Pokemon recently that have no attacking moves like Pyukumuku.

So, I just thought of something: Now that they removed Hidden Power, when they re-introduce Unown what are they going to do with it? Hidden Power was it's only move.

1. Hidden Power will also be re-introduced but only usable by Unown, even if you hack it onto another Pokemon it won't work unless it's an Unown. Hopefully this also means it'll get a Power increase... not that it'll help Unown much which is what's making me kind of doubting this option.

2. Unown will be given an actual moveset. Primarily it'll be given a lot of the "Power" moves: Superpower, Ancient Power, Earth Power, Power Gem, Stored Power, Cosmic Power, Power Split, Power Swap, & Power Trick. Actually I'd imagine it would get a lot of the "mystical" Psychic status moves as well (Guard Split, Guard Swap, Heal Block, Magic Coat, Magic Room, Miracle Eye, Psycho Shift, Skill Swap, Speed Swap, Trick, Trick Room, Wonder Room). I don't expect Unown to become a heavy hitter but, unless they do something drastic with it, if what we have is what we got to work with maybe someone can work out a niche with it as a supporter. But, once again, consider Unown's "gimmick" I doubt this will also be the case.

3. Unown is given a new Signature Move (and maybe even Signature Ability); I'd call it Unknown Power no matter what it does just for the pun. I feel this is the most likely as this option opens up Unown to any possibility. Heck, doesn't even need to do damage as GF has experimented with other Pokemon recently that have no attacking moves like Pyukumuku.
You assume Unown will ever be re-introduced.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 4)