New Facebook Header Contest!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Time for another Smeargle's Studio contest, and this time we're looking to see the creation of a new header for Smogon's official Facebook page to celebrate 300,000 page Likes!

The Pokémon currently featured are all from pre-ORAS when the buzz over Mega Evolutions was at an all time high and the Hoenn starters receiving Mega Evolutions was a dream come true. Now, the ORAS metagame has evolved beyond initial expectations and with other Pokémon in the limelight in OverUsed, we want the header to reflect that until a few months after the Sun & Moon release (when we will inevitably be back for another header, hehe).

What we need:
One header featuring 1-3 prominent Pokémon/Mega Evolutions introduced during XY and ORAS.
It can be "300k" themed, but we're really just using this as an excuse to get a new header. :toast:

Being a competitive Pokémon site, the Pokémon adorning the Facebook header have optimally been proven to be viable and successful in competitive play, and thus all Pokémon featured need to be good choices within or close to the OU tier. Even though we all have our favorite Pokémon far down in the usage lists, we ask you to be reasonable and only make use of our following recommendations.

Choose any of these Pokémon or Megas as your final submissions. All participants may make as many images as they want, but we'll be filtering entries and using only the best from each entrant for the final poll.

• Amoonguss
  • Azumarill
  • Bisharp
  • Breloom
  • Chansey
  • Clefable
  • Excadrill
  • Ferrothorn
  • Garchomp
  • Gliscor
  • Heatran
  • Keldeo
  • Landorus-Therian
  • Latias
  • Latios
  • Manaphy
  • Rotom-Wash
  • Scizor
  • Slowbro
  • Starmie
  • Talonflame
  • Tornadus-Therian
  • Tyranitar
  • Weavile

• Mega Charizard X
  • Mega Charizard Y
  • Mega Diancie
  • Mega Gardevoir
  • Mega Gyarados
  • Mega Lopunny
  • Mega Manectric
  • Mega Medicham
  • Mega Metagross
  • Mega Altaria
  • Mega Venusaur
  • Mega Garchomp
  • Mega Slowbro
  • Mega Latias
  • Mega Latios
  • Mega Scizor
  • Mega Sableye

Here are some more specific guidelines on what the header need to contain. Make sure to read through them before you start completing your submission.

• All participating artists must draw draw their banner within an 851 x 315 space.

• The focus of the image (i.e the placement of the Pokemon) should be to the center/center-right, as the Profile Picture will obscure a portion of the lower left.

• A reasonable portion of the Pokemon must be in view, with as little of the Pokemon obscured by the Profile Picture as possible. You may choose to depict how the Pokemon appears within reason, please keep the forms resembling how the Pokemon are found in-game, meaning no realistic portrayals, please.

• It must be an original artwork by the person making the submission. Lifts, swipes, copies, or alterations of other artists' work are not allowed. Users who are guilty of this will be infracted and banned from further participation in the contest.

Here is the current header complete with Profile Picture to illustrate a general idea of where you should be focusing the Pokemon in your image:

The rewards:
  • Having your art featured on Smogon's official (verified) Facebook page! One header from one artist will be eligible for this prize.
  • TheMantyke's Flawless Shiny Adamant Rayquaza in a Luxury Ball with a customizable moveset, within the bounds prior to Generation IV. One artist will be eligible for this prize.
  • Pokemon from Facebook's weekly giveaways will be available for the finalists to choose from. The winner can choose any three Pokemon; every other finalist may choose one. Special thanks to the breeders involved in collecting these Pokemon and to vzxt for offering to distribute them to finalists.
  • An Event Code for the 20th Anniversary Darkrai (which expire August 31st so redeem them ASAP!) All finalists will be eligible for this prize.
Uber/VGC
Groudon - Drought - 31/31/31/26/31/31 - Adamant Nature
Kyogre - Drizzle - 31/09/31/31/31/01 - Quiet Nature
Mawile - Intimidate - 31/31/31/xx/31/31 - Adamant Nature
Mewtwo - Pressure - 31/15/31/31/31/31 - Timid Nature
Rayquaza - Air Lock - 29/31/31/31/31/31 - Jolly Nature
Salamence - Intimidate - 31/31/31/21/31/31 - Impish Nature - Gen3 Tutor Moves: Body Slam and Defog

OU
Altaria (shiny) - Natural Cure - 31/31/31/xx/31/31 - Impish Nature - Gen3 Tutor Moves: Body Slam and Double Edge
Azumarill - Huge Power -31/31/31/xx/31/31 - Adamant Nature
Azumarill (shiny) - Huge Power -31/31/31/xx/31/31 - Adamant Nature
Chansey - Natural Cure - 31/xx/31/31/31/31 - Bold Nature
Gyarados (shiny) - Intimidate - 31/31/31/00/31/31 - Adamant Nature
Hawlucha - Unburden - 31/31/31/xx/31/31 - Jolly Nature
Hawlucha(shiny) - Unburden - 31/31/31/xx/31/31 - Jolly Nature
Landorus-T - Intimidate - 31/31/29/22/31/31 - Adamant Nature
Latias - Levitate - 31/6/31/30/31/30 (HP Fire) - Timid Nature - Tutor Moves: Defog
Magneton/zone - Magnet Pull - 31/06/31/30/31/30 (HP Fire) - Timid Nature
Scizor (regular) - Technician - 31/31/31/xx/31/31 - Adamant Nature
Scizor (shiny) - Technician - 31/31/31/xx/31/31 - Adamant Nature
Thundurus - Defiant - 30/31/30/31/31/31 (HP Ice) - Naive Nature
Togekiss - Serene Grace - 31/xx/31/31/31/31 - Bold Nature
Venusaur (shiny) - Chlorophyll - 31/xx/31/30/31/30 (HP Fire) - Modest Nature
Weavile - Pressure - 31/31/31/31/31/31 - Jolly Nature

UU
Alakazam - Magic Guard - 31/00/30/31/31/31 (HP Ice) - Timid Nature
Arcanine - Intimidate - 31/31/31/xx/31/31 -Impish Nature
Chandelure - Infiltrator - 31/xx/30/31/31/31 (HP Ice) - Timid Nature
Heracross - Moxie - 31/31/31/xx/31/31 -Jolly Nature
Honchkrow - Moxie - 31/31/31/xx/31/31 - Adamant Nature
Honchkrow - Moxie - 31/31/31/xx/31/31 - Adamant Nature
Infernape - Iron Fist - 30/31/30/31/31/31 (HP Ice) - Naive Nature
Kingdra - Swift Swim - 31/xx/31/31/31/31 - Modest Nature
Mamoswine - Thick Fat - 31/31/31/xx/31/31 - Adamant Nature
Mienshao - Regenerator - 31/31/31/xx/31/31 - Jolly Nature
Mienshao (shiny) - Regenerator - 31/31/31/xx/31/31 - Jolly Nature
Sceptile - Overgrow - 31/31/30/30/31/30 (HP Fire) - Naive Nature
Tyrantrum - Rock Head - 31/31/31/xx/31/31 - Jolly Nature

The entry deadline is June 13th, 2016. Good luck!

Last edited:

Litra

Desire Sensor's favorite plaything
is an Artist Alumnus
Was hesitant to enter this yesterday on grounds of rl being a butt, but I think I will make an attempt to enter a contest for once since improving is always nice. You are alright we can post WIPs for feedback?

fbcont.png

The sword conjuring MDiancie did in the ORAS promotional trailer was always one of my favorite animated scenes in the franchise so I am trying it here with a rapier and a broadsword (but a whip was also on my mind).

Hi Litra!

I like the general direction you're going with the concept. A couple things, though: I'm getting lost a bit in what I believe are meant to be the stones that float around Diancie getting muddled with the parts of what are meant to be a whip. I'm unfamiliar with the sword conjuring that you're referring to, but I like the way the sword looks and the whip is distracting me more than anything. Also, what is in the top right corner?

Aside from those couple of things, it's looking good so far.

Hi Litra!

I like the general direction you're going with the concept. A couple things, though: I'm getting lost a bit in what I believe are meant to be the stones that float around Diancie getting muddled with the parts of what are meant to be a whip. I'm unfamiliar with the sword conjuring that you're referring to, but I like the way the sword looks and the whip is distracting me more than anything. Also, what is in the top right corner?

Aside from those couple of things, it's looking good so far.
She is talking about this ORAS trailer

@2:11 Mega Diancie creates a diamond sword to fight with mega gallade. I really like that animation showcasing all the ORAS megaevos. :3

As for the sketch I'm guessing that the other creature is a generic bad guy getting cut down, I'd say have Xena the warrior princess Diancie the Dragonslayer Princess cutting down a Dragon pokemon maybe Mega CharX since she can OHKO it with Diamond Storm and black&blue is a nice contrast to pink&white.

Where would we upload our entry? I know it's probably a stupid question, but I haven't really visited the website since I joined.

Last edited:
Three days left for entries; even if you've got a concept, I'd really like to see, especially due to the scarcity of entries so far. :(

Ssensenh

deerfish
is an Artist Alumnus
for this contest, is a little more stylization allowed? ;v; I mean, they're still easily recognizable, but I'm just wondering ;c;

Litra

Desire Sensor's favorite plaything
is an Artist Alumnus

Would have posted this an hour ago but my charger chose to hardcore troll me at the worst time. Going to be out of town all day so I am posting my finished product. This was the first time in ages I actually did something close to painterly, so this was a fun learning experience simultaneously. Future congratulations to the winner. :>

Koumashiki

n o   h o m o
is an Artist Alumnus
Jackii Your original file has the right ratio, you just need to resize it to the correct size which is 851x315. Otter Power mistook the ratio and cropped it wrong for you.

Also note to all contestants (because I'm feeling like being kind and I'm not going to participate anyway):

Please export your image at exactly 851x315, in .PNG format. Even just one pixel wrong could result in a very low quality banner, and .PNG suffers less from Facebook's image compression (most might have known this but just in case). Also it is advisable to avoid making the header too colorful, the reason also being Facebook's image compression.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)